No announcement yet.

Sunday (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a prob with Shep being married, he is 40 after all, I would have expected it. However, on SG1, Jack was married a long time and his breakup was very difficult and revolved around the death of his son. In Sheppard's case, his marriage failure probably had something to do with another woman . . .or two. . .or three, going by his history. Why in the world would Teyla want him? The guy is a player, TPTB told us that last year. Besides, I thought all along that TPTB were hinting at Teyla/Ronon. I kinda like that one. *shrugs* Who knows what "they" are thinking anymore.

They really "off'd" Carson. I still can't believe they really did that to the guy. The one character who really had heart, and who I felt truly cared for everyone. *shakes head in disbelief*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

noooooooooo , are we supposed to assume from the ghost scene then that he has ascended in some way

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
        For all the 'wonderful' yet totally cliched character moments in this episode, it wasn't worth loosing one of the show's best characters.

Try to see it from another perspective. Clearly TPTB wanted to get rid of Beckett for whatever reason (which unfortunately meant firing McGillion). Beckett's death was not a result of this story, but (I guess) the story was a result of TPTB's casting decision.

So, as a PTB, would you want to write a really good story to go along with the death/disappearance, or just an indifferent episode with yeah-whatever?
        No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
        (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

I don't see it as a "Ghost" scene I see it as McKay reflecting his own wish to have had that moment with Carson while he was still alive, but on TV you can't easily show that without the character "seeing" the dead guy.

And why would Carson ascend? No that really would make no sense I mean even Daniel had to go on *and on* about all those dam candles and flames and fires and whatever before he went all glowy on us.

Yeah I suppose that last moment was cliche sueKay but I really loved it.

Comment

I'd rather his death had had some meaning.

If he'd died in vengeance, saving people from Michael...THAT would have been a little better.

I mean c'mon...exploding tumours! give me a break!
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Okay, to be straight out:

I DISLIKED this. Heavily.

I mean, I knew Carson would die before it aired, but it was in such a USELESS way, I just couldn't believe it. (Lone Gunmen on the X-Files, anyone?)

The first half of the episode felt like "SGA: The High School Years" for me, at least for the women? Elizabeth and that guy, supposedly "working" with her, even though we've never seen him before? Yeah, whatever.
              Rodney and Katie... also didn't interest me one bit. The only funny part about it was him falling over his own words when talking about marriage.

As for the "plot"... what on...? Explosive tumours? O rly? They explained that to us in like 2 minutes, then everyone just exploded. That mysterious radiation (which we didn't really get any info about) was just a very lame plot device, nothing more.
              Carson going back for that tumour was unnecessary and forced. He and the other doctor lady could've just LEFT THE ROOM and let the *protected* guys with the detonation container bag the thing. But no, we HAVE to let him die, don't we?

The ending scene was KITSCHY. I love the Rodney/Carson dynamic, it's (sorry, WAS) one of my favourite parts of the show, but that was just the uber-cliché, I could almost speak along. I cried in the end, but not because of the schmaltzy talking, but because I realized we've lost the best character ever to be on Atlantis.

This is so pitiful, offing a character like that. Yes, I am angry.

The dramatic effect you were pining for with this will NEVER EVER weigh up the lack of Carson through out the rest of the show.
              sigpic

Comment

Im not one for judging an episode before seeing it, but Jeeze. It sounds awful. Exploding Tumors what the hell! If you were going to kill off one of the best charaters, you do it with style. Not with a ball of exploding cells. Sounds like a perfect waste of a charater. Its gonna be hard to watch Atlantis now, knowing thats coming.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Okay, before I start. I DIDN'T WANT CARSON TO DIE HERE!!!! I wanted him to go missing in another episode so there was a chance he'd be able to come back. I even had a good theory for it happening in Vengeance. So, the original spoilers all those months ago were correct. Damn it!!! Though, to those who were correct...you were right, I was wrong, so good on you, but damn it all! I suppose I just wanted to be in denial....
                  So, ok, I'm reviewing this forgetting that I didn't want Carson to die, and accepting that it happened.
                  I LOVED SUNDAY! Well done to Martin Gero for giving me a tragic, sad and sniffworthy episode, with good character bits.
                  The one negative part in the episode for me was that Carson died when he was moving the tumour bomb. He should've just taken his patient and nurse and left once the surgery was over. Why oh why did he move the bomb?
                  That over and done with, I confess I cried. Buckets, but silently, so I didn't embarrass myself too much...
                  I loved the friendship stuff.
                  Ronon and Sheppard's scenes were fantastic. The golf - brilliant. The capture the flag? Hysterical. Boy did Shep get his ass kicked! The beer drinking was wonderful. Ronon's not ready to move on? I liked that, because it shows how intensely loyal he was to his girlfriend. Sheppard was married? No surprise here. How could a man like that not have had a serious relationship in his life with looks and charisma like that? So, I like it. Good hint at backstory, and hopefully at sometime it'll be expanded upon. So, thumbs up from me. As for the supposed ship hints? Oh hell if I know whether it was or wasn't! I give up!
                  Rodney and Katie's bits were sweet and cringeworthy too. However, I think Katie is far too much of a mouse to be with McKay!!!! I laughed at the marriage bit!
                  The Weir romantic stuff was a little strange for me. Mike was a lovely looking bloke, but a little pushy for my likings. He made Weir look a little uncomfortable and unsure, which I didn't like to see. I'd have liked her to be more okay with it, though I thought it was right that she'd have doubts about it being ok. If that makes sense? What I mean is, I don't like men who are very forward and have to persuade a woman to go out. Maybe that's just me though, and maybe Weir needed that push. On a trivial note, I loved Weir's top, what a lovely colour!!!! (Sorry, but I did like it!)
                  Lorne paints? For some inexplicable reason that made me chuckle!
                  I felt so sad that everyone blew off Carson. Rodney let his friend down, and it really upset me, and now poor Rodney will feel awful for ever!!! I didn't like that one bit - too sad and angsty! Well I did like it, but it was so sad.
                  Poor Teyla got injured again! She has been very unlucky in season 3,
                  Loved the friendship stuff between her and Sheppard in the infirmary. Very sad, and quite realistic. Sometimes these things don't hit you immediately.
                  The funeral was just heartbreaking. I sniffed all the way through. And when they carried the coffin through the 'gate....sigh, too sad.
                  The final scene was heartbreaking, and it took all my willpower not to sob!
                  Great ending. The only slight reservation I had, was that I'm not sure I ever got the impression that Carson and Rodney were best friends. But, I suppose Carson wasn't closer to anyone else.
                  A fantastic episode. Wonderful performances, wonderful writing, great character insights, very, very sad, and a 10/10 from me.
                  On a trivial note - Did anyone else notice Sheppard was called John by Ronon? That took me by surprise. It was nice though.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                    I don't see it as a "Ghost" scene I see it as McKay reflecting his own wish to have had that moment with Carson while he was still alive, but on TV you can't easily show that without the character "seeing" the dead guy.

And why would Carson ascend? No that really would make no sense I mean even Daniel had to go on *and on* about all those dam candles and flames and fires and whatever before he went all glowy on us.

Yeah I suppose that last moment was cliche sueKay but I really loved it.
                    Er, I agree?
                    sigpic

Comment

Explosive tumors? Honest to god what the hell is that about? Apart from that minor blip by all accounts it seems like a great episode but what a waste of a great character.

Hard to imagine a way back for him. Bloody shame.

Comment

I really liked this episode. It had so many funny moments. I loved McKay and Katie brown scenes it was very sweet poor Rodney stumbling over his words. Lorne painting I would never have guessed at. It was great we got to see little character moments and theirs hobbies outside work. I wasn’t surprised that Sheppard had been married he is meant to be 40ish.
                        Poor Carson . the end scene with Rodney I cant decide if it was Rodney trying to say goodbye or if Carson had ascended he did save both the scientist and a nurse. So maybe that is an act that could lead to ascension.
                        I think Gero did a great job in balancing the comedy and drama.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fifer View Post
                          Explosive tumors? Honest to god what the hell is that about? Apart from that minor blip by all accounts it seems like a great episode but what a waste of a great character.

Hard to imagine a way back for him. Bloody shame.
                          If I was McGillion. I'd be pretty dam annoyed with that death. They could have him die, very heroically involving michael but noooo.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by Red Phoniex View Post
                            NOT ME! I hate crying at the best of times. This was horrible. How could they do it. It was beautiful and very well done but i got into stargate to escape the real world! I don't want to be reminded that people i care about die. The ending with Rodney, God, i love Rodney and this made me see a whole new side of him that is rarely shown. I cried for him more than anyone else. David Hewlett did a fantastic job.
                            I wasn't meaning that. I was meaning the general idea of downtime ep, with the members of the expedition relaxed and no threat.

Oh and I hadn't said that before, but the way Carson died, well it made me think of a GA ep... *rollseyes*

Originally posted by alyssa
                            My biggest concern now is what they do with Elizabeth, but I guess the sig says it all
                            So I am but you knew that already.

Comment

Originally posted by beale947 View Post
                              If I was McGillion. I'd be pretty dam annoyed with that death. They could have him die, very heroically involving michael but noooo.
                              We don't know what Carson's reaction was to that. This was coming for a long time. I first noted it in The Return, Pt 1 when McGillion was giving his speech to Rodney about never seeing him again. I feel sad that Carson died. I would have rather him been taken off the expedition (with the possibility of coming back) due to ethical dilemmas, but to kill him with exploding tumors? Wow...that's pretty...then again, since when have they ever given doctors a sensible death? All they did was Frasier it up big time.
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                                We don't know what Carson's reaction was to that. This was coming for a long time. I first noted it in The Return, Pt 1 when McGillion was giving his speech to Rodney about never seeing him again. I feel sad that Carson died. I would have rather him been taken off the expedition (with the possibility of coming back) due to ethical dilemmas, but to kill him with exploding tumors? Wow...that's pretty...then again, since when have they ever given doctors a sensible death? All they did was Frasier it up big time.
                                It seems that they like to kill doctors in Stargate, actually...

Well, they did say he was going to 'disappear', we only learn recently what they really meant by 'disappear'.

Comment

Working...
                                X