No announcement yet.

SciFi Wire: Official SciFi Channel ratings for season three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they need to include tivo/dvr data too. a lot of us dvr the eps.
    A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

I've read a lot of these posts lately. Not much on posting myself, but what someone wrote about fans losing interest struck me. Because I was one of those fans.

I wasn't ever a big fan of SG1. My mom watched it and so I would watch it on occasion. But I've watched SGA for the most part since the first episode. I did miss some of the first half of S2 (6 eps), because I forgot to watch it. Just wasn't appealing to me. I got back into it right before the winter break and finished watching the season. And after the finale, I wasn't sure I was going to watch it this season. I was like well that was crap and I don't think I'm gonna watch next season. But I decided to give it a chance after I bought and rewatched S1. I fell in love with the show all over again. And aside from Irresistible, which I found highly unamusing, I think this season's been pretty good. Despite ratings, which I think should be taken with a grain of salt. I seriously contemplated not watching after Irresistible, but I'm glad I did. Because I thought Sateda was great. Probably the best this season so far.

The way I see it, if SciFi wants to get rid of SG, then they are. Regardless of ratings and fans. No use getting worked up over it. I've been there and done that with other shows I've loved and have gotten cancelled. I've been angry at networks/production, etc. because of it. SciFi knows they have the fanbase for these two shows. My grandmother in her advance stages of Alzheimer's knows it. And it would be a huge mistake if they do cancel both shows. I can see SG1 being cancelled just because it's told its story, but SGA has a lot of potential. And despite how dense we the fans think SciFi is, they know they'll be losing a HUGE fanbase. I say just take it one episode at a time, and pray it doesn't end up with no ending like Firefly.

And BSG can suck my big toe! I personally don't see why this show is SciFi's golden child. I couldn't get into it. I tried. Watched about 20 minutes of it. It wasn't for me I guess. But then again my heart probably lies with the original. Back when cylons weren't blonde, leggy and seductively clad models! But that's just me, and obviously not everyone feels that way.
      Carson's pointy hair makes my toe happy.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
        I'm not sure if this has been discussed but here I go.

Okay, I was just reading the news on SGA on the homepage of GW, and I noticed that the ratings for Sateda was a 1.4. I doubt it's from bad writing, it's pretty much a given that the majority of people found Sateda an excellent episode and the way that SGA should write...and yet they had the lowest ratings probably ever because of this episode.

I can't understand what's going on. I've been told that it's probably advertisement and this could be right. Don't get me wrong, I realize that SG1 made the writers and was a huge sucess for the stargate writers and Scifi. But I don't know why they spend so much time on SG1 promotion when SGA has actually proven to be a better show, ratings wise in S2 rather than SG1's S9.

Further more, I would hate to see a show that's just started with excellent potential overshadowed in such a way, when the cast is fantastic and as of late providing excellent storyline.

I was informed that there was some discussion that if the ratings for SGA fall below 1.7, that the show is pretty much on the brink of cancellation, and the show opened at 1.5, and has stayed at a relatively steady 1.4.

I wanted to know what some of the other fans think and what's going on?! Was Sateda that bad? Was it seriously poor advertising? And/or do you think that Scifi has an agenda to cancel SGA and will use the lack of advertising and this 'possible' rumored hiatus as a way to end it?!

And if anyone out there knows, is there anyway we the fans can bloody well stop the cancellation of a damn great show?! I still haven't seen all of Atlantis---

VB
        Ratings rarely have anything to do with the current episode that was rated (unless the advertisment looked aweful... like irresistables did). Usually ratings are an indication of dissatisfaction with the previous ep (like irresistable) or the general trend on the show. In this case I think SG-1 is dragging Atlantis down due to general trend and that last ep (irresistable) didnt help their cause.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I believe that the reason why the ratings are low for SGA is because 1st of all they rate it only in the U.S as it's not coming out to the rest of the world for a month or so. 2 because of a large number of people downloading it through stuff like Limewire, and some upload it into sites (not that im complaining 'cos i live in the UK and it isn't out yet) such as www.youtube.com story line of Sateda was excellent, i liked it personally and stuff like that doesn't get a 1.4 or whatever it was.

Ratings should now be based around the world where the most major Stargate fans watch it.

Comment

I think we've been down this road before, Here comes a rating scare that is lower than the average norm and a wisper of cancellation from somebody and then the panic ensues, and don't lie and say you aren't worried at the potential of this news lol

I for one won't worry too much, this has happened before in varying degrees and I don't see the franchise falling anytime soon.
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I think that someone on Comic Con said that there will be certainly SGA s4. That it is SG1, which doesn´t have sure future.
              I think the main problem is length of SG1. I love SG but I think the SG1 had end in s7, then they should had start with SGA. If the SGA ran by itself, I think it would be great because it would be without influence of SG1. And after 4 years of SGA, they could come out with another spin-off. Simple. But they prefer to agony of SG1
              I mean, SG1 ends eventually, it´s SGA which has bigger potential. So why is SG1 the preferred show? It runs in better time, it has bigger promotion. How do the people in SciFi think? Do they really believe that there will be 11s of SG1? Wouldn´t be better to concentrate on SGA so it would run at least 7 years? Already now the writers run between two shows and they don´t have enough ideas for both of them.
              But I think they won´t cancel it, not SGA. If they should cancel something then SG1 which I think doesn´t have already too much to say. Last episodes show that. Contrary of the SGA, which episodes are better this year, especially Sateda that was opposite to Insiders.
              I hope that the people in SciFi or who drives this madness, has so much clear mind that they will make right decisions. I know many people who don´t watch SG1 any more....the bad is that preffered SG1 takes SGA down as well.

So, it was long, and I know you don´t have to agree. I also hope you understand because my English isn´t perfect.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                If SG-1 and SGA do end up getting cancelled, I'm done with Sci-Fi Channel. I forgave them after what they did to Farscape. I won't do it again. Doing poorly or not, I just don't see them replacing the Stargates with anything of comparable quality.
                QFT. Nothing else on Sci-Fi is interesting enough (aside from BSG) to make me want to watch. Eureka is ok, but it doesn't hold my attention, same with a few other shows. If they cancel the Stargates, they can eat me.

Comment

Bite me!

Sci fi Sucks ass anyhow, I can wait for the DVD releases of any show that keeps my interest

Yay to B5 by the way, lets hope this comes true
                  For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by npattis
                    It's been discussed already, but SciFi has basically left it out to dry. Little to no advertising, no outside advertising, little to no word on the 200 episode, etc, etc. I mean, SciFi is basically killing the franchise.
                    Actually, Scifi does push the 200th episode. THe TV Guide article is proof of that, but pushing ONE episode only becuase of it's # isn't what I consider to be great advertising. IT's ONE episode, and many folks may like it and others may go "blech" just from the picture. If it's TOO much for the hardcore fans, it's not going to bring in new viewers, which is what the show desperately needs.

However, Sateda did do better than Insiders in the ratings, so SGA is picking up more audience than SG1, which bodes better for SGA.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                      However, Sateda did do better than Insiders in the ratings, so SGA is picking up more audience than SG1, which bodes better for SGA.
                      Not necessarily. The SGA ratings so far have followed the same trend as the SG-1 ones, so it seems to me they have a lot of the same audience (but that's not really surprising). I think if SG-1 gets cancelled, like sooooo many people have been crying out for recently, all it means is that the Atlantis ratings would take another major hit, as people who watched SG-1 stop watching the channel, meaning it would probably only lead to one more season of SGA after the current one before it also gets cancelled.

Comment

basically saying that without SG1, SGA is going to hang on by thread

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                          I agree with you on a certain level Toaster. I think people got really cosy with space action back to back on fridays from SG1, to SGA, to BSG. But again BSG didn't look like an anchor for SGA, because again I've seen the ratings posted and SGA had been fairly consistent in S2 and have again beaten BSG. From what I gathered BSG has been living on hype, over sexualized sensationalism, and of course the curtails of SG1 and SGA fans.
                          I dunno, I thought that BSG had the highest average ratings last season, followed by SG1 and SGA. Don't have the numbers in front of me, so I can't be certain. But I do remember several times in the second half last season where SG1 had decent ratings, SGA had lower numbers than SG1, and then BSG popped back to SG1's numbers or better. I see that and think that some viewers were watching SG1, tuning out SGA, and the coming back for BSG. Or some viewers were only watching SG1 while another set came in just for BSG. Either way, it seems like SG1 has a stronger viewing audience while a chunk of those viewers aren't interested in SGA. So the similar ratings drop for SGA this season isn't surprising, just continuing the trend.

I also don't think SGA would last long without SG1. Looking at the ratings trend I think it would go one, two more seasons at most beyond SG1.

Should be interesting to see how BSG does in October. I think it's a strong enough show to easily stand on its own without the Stargates, but we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

It has to be the advertisement. some of the stories aren't that good but still, they are pretty good episodes. Its just that Eureka is promoted like crazy, even on ESPN but SG1 and SGA are promoted one every 3 hours. The thing is, no one knows about them! And they shouldn't have taken away SG1 Mondays.
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                              I dunno, I thought that BSG had the highest average ratings last season, followed by SG1 and SGA.
                              Average ratings

BSG - s2: 2.0 (http://www.gateworld.net/galactica/s2/ratings.shtml)
                              SGA - S2: 1.9 (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/ratings.shtml)
                              SG-1 - s9: 1.8 (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/ratings.shtml)

Comment

Okay, I am getting hellapissed about this Neilsen rating crap. It is probably rigged. Does anyone know how to sign up so that they get polled?

Best Stargate quote:
                                Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                                Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X