• Show
Clear All

yeah beckett will be in s.3
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by mckaychick
      yeah beckett will be in s.3
      Well... yeah... but I don't think that was the point TJ was trying to make, was it?

Anyway... I loved Season 1, it had me completely hooked on the show and raving about it to anyone who would listen... and a couple who wouldn't. But, that being said, Season 2 lost my interest and the only reason I was watching it by the end of the season was that it's scifi and it's on TV, I can't help myself. Any scifi is better than none... I guess...

But, Season 3 had better bring us back to the great stories and writing we had in Season 1 or... well, I will continue to lose interest and be a VERY unhappy fan!

Comment

Beckett is one of those great ensemble characters who can make a real difference on how good each episode comes out. If they use him mroe as a person and keep him in mind as a REGULAR while writing the scripts I think he could be given ample oppurtunity to contribute and show off his acting skills. however if they use keep using him as a plot device it's just wasting him and, as seen here, pissing of your hardcore fans

Comment

I was so bummed in season two that
          Spoiler:
          we didn't get to see Carson's thoughts, concerns, and fears over creating the retrovirus. That was his major arc, IMO, and we only got to see the end results or when things go bad. There was such potential there for introspection, doubt, mustering the courage to go through with it, relying on others to convince him or working to convince others. We didn't see any of that, and that's a damn shame.

Yes, Carson will be in season three. Will TPTB finally give him a decent storyline to sink his teeth into? I sure hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
            I was so bummed in season two that
            Spoiler:
            we didn't get to see Carson's thoughts, concerns, and fears over creating the retrovirus. That was his major arc, IMO, and we only got to see the end results or when things go bad. There was such potential there for introspection, doubt, mustering the courage to go through with it, relying on others to convince him or working to convince others. We didn't see any of that, and that's a damn shame.

Yes, Carson will be in season three. Will TPTB finally give him a decent storyline to sink his teeth into? I sure hope so.
            I certainly hope so too. Beckett could really become a great character, if TPTB choose to make that possible. I'll just keep my fingers crossed, I guess.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Beckett is the Dr. Frasier version. But I really do hope that TPTB bring Beckett into the show a lot more and show a few things about him, so he can become an inmortant part of the SGA line-up, whoopy.
              I HATE SY-FY

Comment

You see that Dr Fraiser wasn't in the opening credits ever i would think that if Beckett would have the same role that he wouldn't be in the opening credits so i think i will get a bigger role but i personally think he has a bigger role then Dr Frasier Now for one Becket is in 18 of the 20 episodes unlike fraiser only in mabe 10 or 11 of the episodes 22 episodes
                Scifi Channel President Should Jump off a cliff

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk
                  NOTICABLY suffered, especially when it came to character development. Hell for all Rodney and Shep's screentime, they didn't really go anywhere...infact I think Rodney regressed!!!
                  Hello people! That is what I don't get when people rabbit on about Sheppard/McKay and screentime. Sure if you just want the pretty, well yeah it's great but I want some bloody character development and NO IMO there was nothing. At least none I couldn't have garnered already from McKay when he appeared in SG-1! What bloody development???? Oh right he can't shoot now at all!

As for Carson *sigh* I don't know, I want him to have more screentime and development and not just be the Doctor but what else can the writers do with him?

They have written him into a bit of a corner, he is the nice guy who is a little less moral now and obviously is very subordinate to the others on SGA. Even more than Teyla!

That also irks me, as he is human and his opinion as a Doctor should count but NO they pretty much ignore his advice or they go out of their way to manipulate him. "Michael" was such a disturbing episode for Beckett but we didn't really see it, other than the looks Paul gave as an actor.

I bet they had a rehearsal that went something like this

"and because we don't have time to do any Carson concerned scenes; Paul you will have to just use your facial expressions instead"...

No, I bet that is how it went down. I wouldn't put it past them.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                    Hello people! That is what I don't get when people rabbit on about Sheppard/McKay and screentime.
                    Sorry Rose, we harp on about screentime for 2 reasons.

1) Screen time means story participation and HOPEFULLY the opportunity to develope ON SCREEN. It is TV after all,...if I wanted it left to my imagination I'd read a book.

2) For all their screentime we dont really know a damn thing more about Shep or McKay either as people or their pasts nevermind Beckett!!! And while I'm totally not ashamed to say Carson's my favourite, my main concern is the STORY. I want to see ALL of the characters develope.

Its one of my biggest bones of contention with this show, its frustrating to watch them WASTE potential. McKay is so complex, in season 1 we got to see many aspects of his personality and glimpse even more, hoping season 2 would explore them. Did we get that? NO!!!!! He just went back to sterotypical snarky geek with the odd softer moment. As cool as that is, and as great as DH is at portraying that, eventually it gets old and boring!

As for Carson *sigh* I don't know, I want him to have more screentime and development and not just be the Doctor but what else can the writers do with him?
                    But he's NOT just the Doctor, we saw that in season 1. If nothing else he is a FRIEND and a PERSON, why cant THE MAN himself be explored?

They have written him into a bit of a corner, he is the nice guy who is a little less moral now and obviously is very subordinate to the others on SGA. Even more than Teyla!
                    Characters should NOT be pigeon-holed by their job description. Beckett IS NOT Janet Frasier. He IS NOT just a Doctor (read the sig people!). And just because a doctor in SG1 is a minor non-essential character (though her fans would argue otherwise), it DOES NOT MEAN the doctor on SGA has to be. SGA is and should be its own show NOT confined or restrained by ANY aspect of SG1...otherwise whats the fecking point in having a spin off?

"Michael" was such a disturbing episode for Beckett but we didn't really see it, other than the looks Paul gave as an actor. I bet they had a rehearsal that went something like this

"and because we don't have time to do any Carson concerned scenes; Paul you will have to just use your facial expressions instead"...

No, I bet that is how it went down. I wouldn't put it past them.
                    Well whats written and whats filmed, isn't always what ends up on screen. We've often heard people like Joe M talk about things having to be dropped either at the time of filming or in the edit suite so the episode runs to its allotted time. Like interesting though non-story essential elements, I constantly wonder how many of those 'moments' we've lost to the virtual cutting room floor, though not essential to the story WERE to the character development.

As for Paul McG, I dont think they'd treat him (or anyone else) like that, wee bit harsh!!! I think what we get is because the man is a through professional and works incredibly hard to put something into every moment he does have, be it with or without words. Thats just the kind of actor he is, I've seen it in other things he's done too. Personally I think its one of the main reasons they wanted to keep him and made him a reg. I just dont get WHY when they dont use him.

[/rant]

*looks at rant...realises she went 'off on one' and goes off to hit things at the gym*
                    Last edited by TJuk; 25 April 2006, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I think one of the things that saddens me is that they made Carson one of the main characters and then they seemed to forget that they did so.

Carson is in many ways the heart and soul of the show. He is the one that people can identify with - the 'everyman' character. And when he is not directly involved, then some of the heart and soul leaves the show.

This is an action show - and I enjoy the action, but to make it stand out, to make it special, it has to engage our emotions. And I think one of the best characters for doing that is Carson. He cares about people, and because he cares about them, we care too.

OK - I admit that I'm biased as he is my favourite character. But I think by allowing Carson to develop more, it will help develop the other characters too. Some of their best character moments are when they interact with him.

I'd join you TJ in hitting something, but my hand is very sore today, and I think I might do it a permanent damage if I did. But I do so agree with you.

Comment

I'll be frank. I mean 'frank', as in 'blunt'...not Frank the Wraith. [/badpun] Everyone seems very concerned about where Carson's character is headed, but aren't we forgetting something? Beckett is already complex.

I think the issue with his development (his in particular, though I do agree that every one of them was cheated out of potential development). In all honesty, IMO, Beckett saw much more development than Rodney, even though he spent less time onscreen.

Spoiler:
                        Yes, we all want the lovable, caring, friendly Scottish doctor back. But Beckett went from Seige 3, with Ford and his inability to help him with the enzyme problem (how would you feel if you potentially lost a good friend to drugs?) to the wraith girl, who died essentially because he wanted to help her. But by getting ahead of himself, he mentioned the retrovirus and she overheard. Whereas, if he hadn't mentioned it, there's a good chance she wouldn't have lost her humanity to the drugs effects.

Development? We saw him in Season 1, and we loved the guy because of his endearing nature. But in Season 2, he degenerates as he starts to lose most of the battles he starts (with ford, and Ellia for examples). His role in 'the Hive' wasn't solely based around that one line ("I have an inkling.") He wasn't just 'the doctor' in that scene, he was a good friend of Rodney, and he watched a good friend suffer what (for all we know) was possibly hours of agony. And again, not being able to so anything about it--development. 'Inkling' could very well insinuate that it pains him to see McKay go through that kind of experience--doesn't necessarily have anything to do with personal experience with drugs.

Er, my point is...he's receding farther and farther away from being the heal-all doctor with the charming smiles. Of course, there are some episodes where he didn't fit into the dramatic environment, but I do believe that has nothing to do with the writers 'forgetting' about his character.

There are just many situations where a doctor is needed, or more importantly, a near-silent friend. Whereas, for example with McKay--McKay is the center core of explaining the techno-babble. Coincidentally, he just happens to use lots, and lots, and lots of words to do so. It's not fair to compare the two and accuse McKay of grabbing the spotlight (not that I'm saying anyone has). It's about character--Beckett, despite what fans desperate want him to be--is generally a quiet, do-no-harm guy who doesn't want to burden anyone else...

Spoiler:
                        We loved him in Season 1 because he did express a lot of his personality via open-minded opinions (example? pretty much every episode he was involved in. Namely? The Storm.). But as we graduated to Season 2, we witnessed as his character "quietened", sorry for the lack of a better term, probably due to the emotional blows he receives. And I blame, on many accounts, that no-good retrovirus that should've worked from the start. Evil retrovirus.

I can't predict the future, maybe, but IMO, Season 3 will be extremely powerful when it comes to unveiling Beckett's character. All those 'silent looks' and situations that give him rights to grieve will most likely lead somewhere...even if it's not evident yet.
                        sigpic

The best crossover ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TJuk
                          Sorry Rose, we harp on about screentime for 2 reasons.

1) Screen time means story participation and HOPEFULLY the opportunity to develope ON SCREEN. It is TV after all,...if I wanted it left to my imagination I'd read a book.
                          NOT in Stargate it means you see them but not that they develop their chatacters... it is not that kind of show.
                          2) For all their screentime we dont really know a damn thing more about Shep or McKay either as people or their pasts nevermind Beckett!!! And while I'm totally not ashamed to say Carson's my favourite, my main concern is the STORY. I want to see ALL of the characters develope.
                          Isn't that what I said?!?!

If not I will say it again JUST because they are on screen does not mean the writers develop them! If it did then I would be a very happy camper and the Sheppard fans would be rather happy... (er)

No; not going to rant.

Comment

I see what you're saying Era Yachi. I agree to an extent. I think one of the reasons that Carson was so popular from the beginning, and why they decided to make him a regular, was because he was complex. He was a complete character.

I think my concern is that although he did change in Season 2, a lot of the effects of the change on him was implicit rather than explicit. We had to read into the very expressive face of Paul McGillion to see what Carson's emotions were. The writers didn't actually explore it through the scripts.

And Drwho'srose I think we all agree that all the characters need a little more exploration of their characters. I quite agree that screen time doesn't equate to character development. I think it is because we like the characters so much that we want to see what makes them tick, what drives them.

The actors in Atlantis are a talented bunch, and they are skilled at expressing their emotion by a look or a gesture. But I think TPTB have acknowledged when they promised more character-moments in Season 3, that they have perhaps concentrated more on action, than on development.

My wish for Season 3 is that we see character development for all the principal cast, not necessary whole episodes devoted to them - because I like the ensemble episodes - but to see their emotional reactions explored. After all, they are all going through a scary experience, something that is going to change everyone.

Comment

My main problem with season 2 was that we saw all this crap being hurled at Carson, and no idea what it was actually doing to him. The changes were all out of the blue, and it feels as though it was down to laziness on the part of the writers: laziness in writing emotional development, laziness in wanting to pursue someone who wasn't a "permanent member of the team". Ot it could be that they are too complacent to follow up on something that doesn't directly affect the "action".

The same goes for Weir: she's been through a lot in the first two years, and do we know what it has done to her, besides her being on sedatives? Do we hell! Yeah, sure, throw situations at characters, but PLEASE let us see HOW these situations affect the character, and WHY they change!
                              Atlantis : Revolutions - an AU "Stargate: Atlantis" RPG

Comment

Given the spoilers for S3 they won't have time to develop the characters because they (TPTB) will be too busy whoring SG-1 on Atlantis to bother with Atlantis.

Comment

Working...
                                X