This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Going on a tangent here, but if they'd have to change the focus/means of storytelling in order to "accomodate" Carson (and yes, I know that isn't what you meant, exactly) then they never should have made him regular cast in the first place. Did they think they could simply ADD a character all willy nilly and then not do anything about it?? Actually, I'm sure they did.

TPTB need to roll with the punches they deal us. And they need to be willing to ADAPT to the changes they themselves are making.
    It's like playing a 7 string guitar (instead of 6) and not use the 7th string, but everyone sees the 7th string is on there. And if you use that string, the songs are going to sound a bit different, maybe for the best or not, but that is what TPTB never will find out this way.

...a bit to vage? lol

Comment

Beckett better be in season 3...he's on the season 2 opening credits after all...we should see more of him in season 3

Comment

Not to rain on your parade, TJ, but if you look at the spoilers page, episode 2 of season 3 is supposed to be about Carson.

I agree that they didn't use him nearly enough in season two, trust me. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't have been on that jumper in Grace Under Pressure, considering that two men in a jumper under how many thousand feet of water would very likely need immediate medical attention if they were even still alive. They'd been unconscious for an hour! How could they not need a doctor along on a rescue mission?

Gods know I love Rodney just as much as Carson, but he gets pretty much all the attention in the show. Let's let other characters develop as well.
        Mice
        Slash Rodent from Heck

http://www.squidge.org/mice

Comment

Actually, I'm sure they did.
          I am sure they did too. They make these decision on odd criteria, they said it themselves Paul fitted in so well with the show/cast, they never said Beckett really needed to be in more episodes as a character and really involved in more story lines. At least that is not what I read in any of the interviews about making him a regular.

I am less interested in his character after season 2, I think they stuffed up; he was the moral compass of the show but that went flying out the window pretty early on in S2. No ones morals change that fast but no he was pretty much silent on the whole
          Spoiler:
          Retro virus thing, the torture and then the "Michael" episode pretty much sealed it.

I would be glad to see all the main cast having one or two episodes concentrating on the individual characters there are 20 eps and only 6 main characters how hard can it be to write one or two for each character and still have a handful for the Team dynamics as well. They needn't be blatant character eps but just some bits of info here and there and some insight into reasons for their behaviour.

I know not that kind of show.

Comment

He'll be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mice
              Not to rain on your parade, TJ, but if you look at the spoilers page, episode 2 of season 3 is supposed to be about Carson.
              Well I did say 'help me here people'...lol...Thanks Mice, I forgot about that ep spoiler but then I'm not gonna hold my breath, 'Michael' was supposed to be about Carson too!

Spoiler:
              And we know Michael is in ep two from the Connor interview, so it'll probably be shameless Connor pimping....Not that I dont like the guy or character but I thought a show was supposed to be about its main characters NOT its bloody guest stars!!!

Oh and saying just because they made him a regular character, doesn't mean they should include him more, well thats a little nuts really isn't it? Whats the point in undoubtably paying more for something you're not gonna to use? Especially when you've got an actor with such talent, and a character with such potential. Kinda stupid really, but then last years theme all over, stupid decisions by characters & silly plots! (The Tower anyone?). Adding insult to injury, was the fact that that half of the eps Beckett was in...were...not so good plot wise. Instinct got panned by anyone and everyone (JM even brought that up about one particular Brit Scifi Mag...it was one of many) but then it was like a Horror B movie plot which might have been fun, done right. It was so rushed and predictable!!! I wanted to shout 'cue the angry villagers with pitch forks and torches'...and oh looky, angry villagers with pitch forks and torches.

*headdesk*

And like Rose said, its hard to care about a character who does a flip 180 in his main character traits with no explanation. Carson is the heart of the show, he's the 'everyman' more so then anyone else. He reacted in S1 like the rest of us normal people would and that was great, that was probably one of the biggest things that made him stand apart...that and his big heart. And while its great to see him learning, finding his courage and changing with the circumstances and his environment...I wonna know and see WHY!!!!! WE NEED to SEE him progress and change, the way it effects and causes emotional turmoil around those events. You could turn a saint into a complete arsehole, it would work, IF you had some sort of characterised and portrayed progression otherwise it means NOTHING!

And no throwing in random juicy bits of dialogue like the whole 'I have an inkling' from 'The Hive' suggesting a prior experience with drug addiction!! It just says it all really, so much potentional....wasted, and I really HATE seeing potential wasted. *headdesk headdesk headdesk*

[/rant]
              Last edited by TJuk; 19 April 2006, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I know. It's really hard to figure out what brought Carson to the point he's at by the end of season two. I mean, I understand that the pressures can change someone, but I absolutely agree that we need to see some of that process. I also agree that there's a goldmine in that one throwaway line at Rodney's bedside, and that they really should work on that.

*shrugs*

This is why I write fanfic. Obviously TPTB aren't going to be filling in those blanks, so I have to do it myself. Still, I'd far rather see something satisfying and Carson-y on screen. I'm definitely with you there.

Oh, and how are the plans for Vancouver going these days? Any closer to an actual relocation? Planning on visiting anytime soon? I still owe you sushi...
                Mice
                Slash Rodent from Heck

http://www.squidge.org/mice

Comment

Well its just season 2 too all over. I got sick of reading the reviews that basically said 'nice acting, shame the writing sucked'. I wish I could find the mag JM brought up in his blog to quote directly, but to paraphrase (I think the ep was 'Instinct') the review read something like 'the scripts this year have been continually predictable and formulaic, and while still entertaining, will get old fast'. They might not listen to the fans, but at least they could listen to the critics. The failings for Carson have been down to the writing more then anything. I know these guys work stupidly long hours, and have not one but TWO series to work on, but then maybe its a case of spreading yourself too thin? Which resulted in not being able to focus as much on the story, which subsquently and NOTICABLY suffered, especially when it came to character development. Hell for all Rodney and Shep's screentime, they didn't really go anywhere...infact I think Rodney regressed!!!

I seriously think there should be some space between the two shows (as was originally promised). The odd crossover is good fun, but this talk of Daniel and Sam on SGA? Especially after they admitted they weren't sure where to go with Sam...well it strikes me as treating SGA like a dumping ground for characters just to keep their rabid fans happy and the numbers up. They've had 9-10 years already whilst the guys on SGA have had 2, most of the characters barely having a chance to get going and now they're bringing in more?????

Though in their defence and not trying to sound one sided. I've noticed they've brought on new blood this year, so thats a good sign. Plus Rob C spoke about the need to concentrate more on the character relationships. Another GREAT thing, lets hope that involves ALL the characters and not just the aforementioned two. Carson maybe my fav, but its his relationship and interaction with the others that help bring the character to life!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                    He'll be there.
                    He was "there" in S2. Doesn't mean his part will be substantial.

Comment

He was "there" in S2. Doesn't mean his part will be substantial.
                      And more importantly...MEANINGFULLY part of the story arc...especially if s2 is anything to go by....

You know I hate to say it but I'd rather see less Carson if it means he gets better QUALITY character development *feverently prays that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass* I know several people that dont watch or dont care about the character anymore. The way the character changed without explantion put them off, and that is so very sad. Its like having Beckett stark bollock nekkid in every scene!! *mind wanders...slaps self* While the idea is nice for a while, its shamelessly shallow and would get boring fast. I'd want to know WHY he's nekkid and what affect its having on him! (bit of a wacky exmaple I admit but I'm a girl!) The odd bit of drop-in, tune out and throw away dialogue just dont cut it! The odd 'comic relief' scene just dont go anyway to redeeming him...

Crap, ranting again...Sorry my JuJitsu class was cancelled...all frustrated and nothing take it out on...cept here
                      Last edited by TJuk; 19 April 2006, 04:36 AM.

Comment

He Better BE! he is my favorite!

it isnt too obvious is it? *hides Signature*

Comment

I agree with you TJ. Though your example keeps sending me off track!

I think it is a shame when the stories they have been following recently cry out for an explanation of how this is affecting Carson. All we get are reaction shots. Now because Paul is such a great actor, these tell us alot. You can see the anguish he feels, but the writers don't explore it.

So many possible scenes end up happening off screen and are left to our imagination.

I agree Mice, one of the reasons I started writing fanfics was because I wanted to explore the character of Carson more, because I didn't see that development on the show.

It saddens me that people have stopped caring about Carson because of this. I only started watching in Season 2, though I've now seen Season 1, and I cared about him from the first show I watched. I was drawn to him as a caring and warm individual.

It would be good to see more of that caring and warm individual in Season 3.

Comment

I totally agree TJuk. TPTB need to stop treating Carson like a re-curring character, or at least give him more significant dialogue, and show how recent choices have affected him. With seas. 2, he could have been in "Instinct" and "Conversion" more, but at least he was in them. GUP is what really frustrated me. I would have been annoyed still if he had called Rodney on the radio or something (rather than going down to see him), though at least it would have been something, but we didn't even get that Ok, sorry that just really irks me! Anyway, as has been mentioned, at least one ep. focuses on Carson in seas. 3, of course he could be in one ep. and then never show up again (exagerating a bit, but one never knows ). Hopefully that won't happen however. I hope In the furture, TPTB do give him more of a chance to shine.
                            Paul/Carson, Rachel/Teyla, David/Eli Supporter!!
                            Proud Samandan. Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Carson's girl
                              Anyway, as has been mentioned, at least one ep. focuses on Carson in seas. 3
                              All I can say to that is, 'The proof is in the pudding', in other words, think 'Michael' (yes yes I know, me harping on again), that was supposed to focus on him and frankly didn't, it was more about the guest star and Teyla...

We'll will wait and see what the future holds...I hope it includes me raving rather then ranting about the ep....

Comment

Been watching this discussion with interest, and thought I might as well put my 2 cents in.

After his debut in season 1, I felt that Carson was, at that point, the most developed character on the show. We had seen many sides to him, which rounded him out and made you empathise with the character on a level not inspired by the others. So I, like many others, looked forward to seeing more of this in season 2.

Instead, what do we get? We get the stereotypical sci-fi doc, with no exploration into his character, no look at his motivation, and it felt as though he was only used because he was a season regular.

Poisoning the Well was the ep that got me hooked on Atlantis, and it did so through the development of Carson, and the dilemmas he faced when trying to develop the serum, and taking the consequences of its failure. I hoped to see more of this humanity, this compassion, this drive to do the right thing in season 2. Instead, we were handed a 2 dimensional shadow of the character we had come to know in season 1.

This was both an insult to us as fans, and to Paul's ability as an actor. They gave him cheap, throwaway dialogue in the hope it would keep the character alive. It didn't. And the changes he went through, seemingly without reason, were just unbelievable! For example (and thanks to TJ for the discussion on this), can you honestly see the man from PtW WILLINGLY develop the Wraith retrovirus? Especially after seeing wha it did to Ellya and Sheppard? Personally, I can't.

I can't help but hope that he's in season 3 a lot more than in season 2, and that they actually give him some quality writing to get his teeth into.

Maybe I shouldn't be holding my breath.
                                Atlantis : Revolutions - an AU "Stargate: Atlantis" RPG

Comment

Working...
                                X