This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    See, all these comments about Shep being a "Young Jack" might sound like compliments to some, but I see it as proof of the lack in character development/distinction. Granted, maybe the comparisons are impossible to avoid, but I'd like to see Shep being more his own character and less like Jack Lite or Young Jack.
    Quite. I really thought we'd gotten away from these comparisons, because I didn't see Shep as anything like Jack in S1. And to be truthful, I still don't.

They really need to make more distinction if the line is that blurry that people do...and I agree. It speaks volumes about the lack of character development if that comparison is still being made...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
      Quite. I really thought we'd gotten away from these comparisons, because I didn't see Shep as anything like Jack in S1. And to be truthful, I still don't.

They really need to make more distinction if the line is that blurry that people do...and I agree. It speaks volumes about the lack of character development if that comparison is still being made...
      I don't think Sheppard's like O'Neill at all, and I haven't since I saw the pilot to SGA. Though obviously he's the leader of the primary SG team and a pilot. He's much more optomistic than O'Neill and much more intelligent. He also has an edge that O'Neill never had, though in all fairness we've only ever got to know O'Neill when he was alot older than Sheppard, so he could have been more like Sheppard when he was younger.
      They don't look alike either, but the primary difference for me is that Sheppard actually comes up with the solutions to problems sometimes, O'Neill never did, he always left that to Carter or Daniel.
      To be honest I don't see why there are comparisons still, not that I think it's too much of a problem if some people do anyway, IMO.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Harry the Hippo Gutterman
        I seroiusly think that Ford was a much better character then Shepherd. And with Gene therapy and the fact they've been there for 2 years they should have the hang of Ancient technology by now. Shepherds just kind of annoying. I doubt its the writing as the writing in this show has always been Stellar. I blame Joe Flannigan for a poor performance.
        I 100% don´t agree with you.
        Shep is annoying? But the writing stellar? Let me tell you a secret. The writing is it which determinates how a character behaves. But it´s so easy to make the actors responsible for all and everything.They are the one which appear on screen not the writers.
        I like Shep (look at my avatar) but I´m fair enough to see why people have some problems with his season 2 personality. But do you really think this were different if Ford were suddenly the male lead of the show? No and do you know why? Because the writers would give him the same treadment than Shep know. And I don´t believe that Ford would fill Shep´s place very well.
        As long as the writers stay the same, the shows problems will stay the same, too. So easy is that.

I know that I´m snarky but that RCC get now Atlantis, too in his clutches has killed the easter bunny for me this year.

Comment

I have to disagree, i dont want Shep to gotat all, what i think has happened in season 2 is that the writers have forgotten a key element that Stargate has so well...team bonding...hense why the latest gateworld article was the writers saying the team needs to be closer.

Now what they need to do is keep Shep and brin gback Ford because i dotn know if its just me but when Shep and Ford were together it just seemed right and they clicked and well you loved them both, however since Ford has gone nothings the same, Ronan is kl but i think they should bring Ford back, there is no reason why they cant have 5 in the team.

So bring back Ford!!!!
          Those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust.

sigpic

Comment

Ok - interesting thread! Personally, I'm purely die-hard SG1 but I do also like Atlantis...

However, Ford was waaaaayyyy better IMHO than Ronan. I mean, at least Ford did more than grunt for his dialogue. Do we really need another Teal'c character? But, even Teal'c had more lines than Ronan.

As for the writing on the shows, it got kind of aggrivating on SG1 with the whole
            "Teal'c, ever seen anything like this before?" (then it became amusing, in my opinion). But I see Atlantis starting to follow the same trend with "Kayla, ever seen anything like this before?"

I personally don't mind the rest of Atlantis' cast - Weir and McKay seem to play off each other very well. But for God's sake (and no, I don't mean any Goa'uld) at least *try* to develop Ronan beyond the occasional >grunt< if you're not going to bring back Ford!

Comment

Ronan may not day a lot, but he speaks his mind, and when it comes to the Wraith, he's pretty much always right. Everyone else should listen to him more.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                See, all these comments about Shep being a "Young Jack" might sound like compliments to some, but I see it as proof of the lack in character development/distinction. Granted, maybe the comparisons are impossible to avoid, but I'd like to see Shep being more his own character and less like Jack Lite or Young Jack.
                Uh, I only saw one person compare him as a 'young Jack." I honestly don't see any similarities except pilot/USAF, but heck, Lorne is a pilot too, isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Yume
                  I know that I´m snarky but that RCC get now Atlantis, too in his clutches has killed the easter bunny for me this year.
                  Brad Wright is still in charge of Atlantis
                  RCC is only writing and directing one episode, and being Executive producers like in seasons 1 and 2

Comment

i want ford and sheppard, but i would prefer to have Ford on seperate show, something like a show running in the parralel, but have FOrd still very rogue doing his own thing and doing some super reconnosence until he was captured by Kolya and brought back to Atlantis and thus the triumphant return of both Ford and Kolya.

I WOULD LIEK TO HAVE LORNE MORE INVOLVED_but

HOW DARE YOU TRY AND GET RID OF SHEPPARD-

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR-(=lol
                    sigpic
                    i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                      I don't think Sheppard's like O'Neill at all, and I haven't since I saw the pilot to SGA. Though obviously he's the leader of the primary SG team and a pilot. He's much more optomistic than O'Neill and much more intelligent. He also has an edge that O'Neill never had, though in all fairness we've only ever got to know O'Neill when he was alot older than Sheppard, so he could have been more like Sheppard when he was younger.
                      They don't look alike either, but the primary difference for me is that Sheppard actually comes up with the solutions to problems sometimes, O'Neill never did, he always left that to Carter or Daniel.
                      To be honest I don't see why there are comparisons still, not that I think it's too much of a problem if some people do anyway, IMO.
                      I never got the comparison either. Yes, the first episode, when the little bit of snarkiness peaked it's head, I thought well maybe. But not since. Shep is much more well rounded as far as fighting & coming up with ideas go. I love, love, love RDA, and he made Jack so unique. I just see no comparison at all.

I just personally like having Shep, because he helps my gutter brain more than Ford - just my preference that is.
                      sig made by me

Comment

Don't get rid of Sheppard, just bring back Ford in S5. TPTB: if you need ideas on how to write him back in, call me :-D
                        "23 across: The atomic weight of Boron. The answer is 'ten'... you wrote 'fat'."

"Indeed."

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X