No announcement yet.

Critical Mass (213)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if i missed something but weren't the Wraith cruisers just a day or two from Atlantis? Yet the Daedalus was at least a week on it's way back to Earth? I know the Daedalus has faster engines but it seemed strange that it got back to Atlantis with so much time to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
      --I liked the whole idea of the ring ceremony - celebrating someone who lived a full life in spite of the Wraith threat. Rachel Luttrell has a lovely voice. I couldn't help but be reminded of an episode of Xena: Warrior Princess where Xena sings at a funeral. I just wish sometimes that it could be a bit more realistic sounding - not so orchestral. If the actress has a nice voice, let them sing with a simple accompaniment or even a cappella. Something you might really hear. Ah well, maybe I'm the only person that thinks that way.
      Hey, I hadn't thought of that parallel! Considering what a fan I am of the show, I feel like I've been whacked over the head with that obvious comparison. They both have lovely voices, and it's cool that both actresses provide their own vocals. I hope she sings more often, as Xena does on her show! But then that means more people would need to die...well, maybe not a funeral song, but surely her people have happy cheerful sings for different occasions...?
      'I am frightened that the flame of hate will burn me
      will scorch my pride, scar my heart
      It will burn and I cannot put it out...'

Sig by Falcon Horus- thank you!

my LJ of squee *myspace of angst * my fic of random

My OTP forever, by Stef, who is awesome:
      Spoiler:

Thanks, Stef!

Comment

First of all, I really, really liked this ep. We got to see a teeny bit more of Atlantis, or at least got a feel for doing an ep in the city (something I'd like to see more of), and we learned about Athosian music, which I had recently been wondering about.

I was a music major in college, so music of other cultures is interesting to me. I thought Rachel sang very well and her voice was good with this song. Her ceremonial dress was beautiful and surprising, as it was bright blue, when we've typically seen the Athosians' brown everyday clothes.

Some of the comments I read here, suggesting splitting the Athosian story out to another ep, making the main bomb-in-Atlantis story a two-parter, having Teyla's song be simpler, with less orchestration, are all good ideas, and I would've enjoyed the ep had it gone in any of those directions.

I thought Rachel's acting was very good in this ep - and it was interesting to see just a touch of vulnerability when she realized she was losing Charin. My grandmothers have passed away, so I understand the loss she was experiencing. Charin's attitude, about how death was a relief because she didn't have to run and hide anymore, accentuated the plight of most humans in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Ronon didn't seem to have any spark through most of the ep, til he got to take on Kavanaugh and Caldwell.

Speaking of Kavanaugh, the man we love to hate, boy do I totally dislike this character! I'm sure the actor is very nice, and in the right situation could be cute , but when he said Weir was overly emotional and not qualified to lead the expedition because she was a woman , he pissed me off. What a dink! Go crawl back into your cave, Neandertal! If he wanted to call her out because of her particular personality, that's one thing and he may have a point, but dude lost all credibility with me after that remark.

I kinda was hoping the bad guy would be Kavanaugh, but it did seem too easy to make it him. Caldwell as Goa'uld? Totally caught me off guard!! Now I wanna know when he was taken as a host!

Back on Earth, loved Landry and how he handled everyone working on the problem. The more I see of Landry, the more I like him. He's not always nice, and he's tough and expects a lot, but he seems fair, and I think has a good sense of humor.

Dr. Lee talking about the Twilight Bark and the Signal Fires from LOTR was hilarious! Nice to see Dr. Lee solving a problem and not getting bashed too hard this time!
        Last edited by Jill_Ion; 12 February 2007, 07:14 PM. Reason: forgot a couple of things

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
        O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

I hope we get a soundtrack CD someday with Teyla's song.

Kavanagh... No sympathy have I for him. I laughed when Hermiod told him to shut-up and when Ronan said he fainted before he could touch him. He brought it upon himself with how he took Weir's interrogating personally. It was nice, though, to contrast his attitude with that of Novak's.
          sigpic
          "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
          Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

Teyla's singing...hmm. she has a nice voice, but it seemed too forced, too out of place. i enjoyed the music going throughout the scenes, but the singing was too much for me.

as for ronan not hurting kavanagh; i'm not too sure about that. kav's pretty weak, ronan could have easily shoved him back against the wall for him to pass out. plus he was in a whole other part of the room from when we saw him stand and back away from the door. it would be interesting to see if ronan actually did it, and how the team would approach him then.

really good ep though. great how the morals of weir and mckay to not hurt kav sorta ran parallel to beckett wanting to try his best to save teyla's friend---although they could have pushed that more, i think.
            "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
            "what?"
            *throat punch*
            My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
            LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

I loved this episode.... Is one of my many favorites from season 2. When I saw this episode I was kind of surprised that there was a bomb placed on Atlantis and that there was a spy on Atlantis and was surprised to see that Colonel Caldwell was a Goa'uld.
              Last edited by teal'c2006; 12 March 2007, 06:41 PM.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
              Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
              http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by teal'c2006 View Post
                I loved this episode.... Is one of my many favorites from season 2. When I saw this episode I was kind of surprised that there was a bomb placed on Atlantis and that there was a spy on Atlantis and was surprised to see that Colonel Caldwell was a Goa'uld.
                Hehe, I was plesently surprised that I hadn't been spoiled for any of this ep either- for some reason I thought I read somewhere that "Sunday" was going to be the episode with the bomb. As for Colonal Caldwell, that came as a total shock. And the whole Teyla singing over the events as they unfolded was really cool and different.

Comment

Agreed. Man does she have a voice!!

As for my fave part, was when shep goes into the room with Ronon and that sniveling/coniving piece of fainting meat!!... Pity he fainted before Ronon had a chance to beat him some..

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
                    Teyla's singing...hmm. she has a nice voice, but it seemed too forced, too out of place. i enjoyed the music going throughout the scenes, but the singing was too much for me.
                    Agreed.

I almost find myself agreeing with the annoying Kvanagah this season. Time after time Weir makes insanely risky decisions, usually invoving trusting people for no good reason. Yeah, everything always works out, but it is usually in spite of her.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Agreed. Man does she have a voice!!

As for my fave part, was when shep goes into the room with Ronon and that sniveling/coniving piece of fainting meat!!... Pity he fainted before Ronon had a chance to beat him some..
                      Kavenaugh is an odd character- I've always disliked him as a character, but felt that his views held some weight, though I don't necessarily agree with all of them. The one thing I don't get is why he's the only one with these views. An interesting storyline would be one where there becomes a divide in Atlantis amoung the personel, dealing with their stance on these controvercial descisions, etc.

Comment

Good episode. But it was in Season 2. And Season 9 of SG-1 timeplot wise. With Landry...

Which means the Goa'uld wouldn't have been around. Making the whole basis kinda messed up. Am I wrong?...

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_Clement View Post
                          Good episode. But it was in Season 2. And Season 9 of SG-1 timeplot wise. With Landry...

Which means the Goa'uld wouldn't have been around. Making the whole basis kinda messed up. Am I wrong?...
                          Nah, the Goa'uld are still around- just none of the major players that we were used to and not in the position of imitating gods (well, aside from Ba'al), they're pretty much a broken race.

Comment

I just watched this ep again and I still love it. I thought it was a great ep and really loved the ring ceremony with Teyla singing. Rachel can really sing very well. Am I the only one who liked that part?
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              I just watched this ep again and I still love it. I thought it was a great ep and really loved the ring ceremony with Teyla singing. Rachel can really sing very well. Am I the only one who liked that part?
                              I thought the singing was pretty cool- a nice way to shake up the typical peril scenes that we get. It changed it up a bit which was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                I thought the singing was pretty cool- a nice way to shake up the typical peril scenes that we get. It changed it up a bit which was good.
                                Agreed. They do a good job at that IMO. I hope we get to see her sing again.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X