Conversion (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
    He's the conceptual anti-hero archetype with the hidden past. He has no mentor per se (no Gandalf figure) but lives his life by an inner code of ethics. Or I've been reading too much Joseph Campbell. Blame Joss.
    Drats... I'm going to have to read The Hero with a Thousand Faces now...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      Actually, for writing purposes skip Campbell and read Christopher Vogler's 'The Writer's Journey'. It's our text for Myths and Symbols. I don't agree with everything and I think he stretches the friendship a bit in places but he does make some good points. And he has the advantage of being more quickly comprehensible than Campbell.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
        An OK ep only, but whatever happened to either originality or, even more importantly, a lack of predicability? To solutions that weren't so darn surface and obvious? I kept sitting there going: "Well, he's morphing into one of the bugs. Why the heck aren't they sending him to the cave? The bugs would probably think he's one of them."

It makes idiots of the characters on the show--who are all supposed to be so brilliant at what they do--for the audience, with *no* more information than the characters (and, true, sometimes audiences do have more info. But not this time), to come up with the solution 20 minutes earlier.
        I believe if Sheppard had gone with them the first time, they would have had the same result. He wasn't mutated enough for his sweat glands to be producing the bug pheremones.

I do wonder why they didn't keep him sedated until right outside the mouth of the cave. That way, they could wake him up, and he would have had more time in the cave. Their way, it builds the suspense. Also, sedating him would have taken away the interaction with Weir.

Comment

Originally posted by mgbland
          I believe if Sheppard had gone with them the first time, they would have had the same result. He wasn't mutated enough for his sweat glands to be producing the bug pheremones.

I do wonder why they didn't keep him sedated until right outside the mouth of the cave. That way, they could wake him up, and he would have had more time in the cave. Their way, it builds the suspense. Also, sedating him would have taken away the interaction with Weir.
          Well, Beckett did say that he wasn't sure the massive dose of the inhibitor wouldn't just kill Sheppard instantly, so I am not surprised he wanted to keep him under medical observation when giving him the shot...
          *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

Originally posted by caty
            Well, Beckett did say that he wasn't sure the massive dose of the inhibitor wouldn't just kill Sheppard instantly, so I am not surprised he wanted to keep him under medical observation when giving him the shot...
            That's a good reason why Beckett came along with them for their cave expedition. I still don't understand why they never thought of smearing bug poop on and going after Sheppard. It may have been enough to get him out of the cave.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
              This is off topic but I read the other week that you should never keep moldy oranges because they smell like heroin to sniffer dogs.
              Actualy, more like airplane glue (thinking back to a regrettable incident with an orange peel stuck in the car for a month....eeeuuuu)

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                Oh, definitely, do! Shep'sSocks is right about Campbell being a difficult read, but once I got through it, The Hero With a Thousand Faces gave me a new perspective on every story I read and every TV show or movie I watch. You'll find that the story Campbell describes is everywhere. It's a fascinating book.

It's especially interesting if you're a Star Wars fan. It applies to the original trilogy (Luke Skywalker) and to all six films as a whole (Anakin Skywalker). It's really unbelievable.

Sorry for the off-topic moment, but I would recommend The Hero With a Thousand Faces to anyone who can understand it (and I read it in high school).

OK, I'm done being a geek for now. TTYL!

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

I've watched the episode too many times.

Did you notice?

In the scene where Sheppard broke Weir's picture glass window, his mutated hand was the right one.

When they had placed Sheppard in a medical induced coma, his mutated hand was the left.

When he ran out of the cave, his mutated hand was back to his right hand.

I wonder . . . Would bathing Sheppard's arm immediately in salt water kill the rectrovirus?
                  Last edited by mgbland; 22 September 2005, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I've watched the episode too many times.

Did you notice?

In the scene where Sheppard broke Weir's picture glass window, his mutated hand was the right one.

When they had placed Sheppard in a medical induced coma, his mutated hand was the left.

When he ran out of the cave, his mutated hand was back to his right hand.

I wonder . . . Would bathing Sheppard's arm immediately in salt water kill the rectrovirus?
                    I don't think it would cure him simply because the retrovirus is carried through the bloodstream and is mutating him from the inside-out starting with his DNA. And yes, I've watched this episode countless times as well!

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                      I don't think it would cure him simply because the retrovirus is carried through the bloodstream and is mutating him from the inside-out starting with his DNA. And yes, I've watched this episode countless times as well!
                      Probably would have hurt Sheppard more than it would have helped. I wonder how the wraith would react to squirt guns filled with salt water.

Comment

Probably would have hurt Sheppard more than it would have helped. I wonder how the wraith would react to squirt guns filled with salt water.
                        Maybe they'll pull a Wicked Witch from the West and started melting Wraith juice all over the floor. That'd be something to see...puddles of liquified Wraith.

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

Comment

zero.point.snark has the review for "Conversion" now up:

http://www.livejournal.com/community...nark/4543.html

Late due to Ms. Pooh engaged in something called "Defense of a Master's Thesis". Personally, I don't find that a reasonable excuse. .but.

Remember - not for kiddies!

Oh yeah. . .Pooh is now a Master of Sciences!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

hooray for zeropointsnark! I'm through part I and it stinks that I'm at work, otherwise I'd have totally lost it by now.

Comment

In the cave scene,
                              Spoiler:
                              how did Sheppard manage to anchor himself to the egg sack? He still had his shoes on, and his hands were occupied with securing the eggs.
                              Last edited by mgbland; 23 September 2005, 07:00 AM.

Comment

In the cave scene,
                                Spoiler:
                                how did Sheppard manage to anchor himself to the egg sack? He still had his shoes on, and his hands were occupied with securing the eggs.
                                Ummm...magic?

Comment

Working...
                                X