No announcement yet.

The Siege, Part 2 (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode was so perfect! I loved every minute of it! Colonel Everett was great because we got to see him progress from stereotypical hardass, to a member of the team. Weir and Sheppard had to steamroll him, but once they got their feet in the door, Everett respected them (kind of).

I can't wait for July!
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by joanne1138
      He largly ignored her until Sheppard coerced him into letting her into the meeting, because she was civilian. I call that holding something against her. He was somewhat condescending to her also, later on.

It not that I really hate him now, but his first few scenes gave me murderous urges. I'm indifferent towards him now. With time (although I suspect from his last scene, he does not have much of that) I may work up to something in the region of like.
      You certainly don't know your military then. Everett had nothing against her. If you remember Weir was treated in the same way by SG1 before she proved herself in New Order.

Everetts reasons were simple (she IS a civvie) and it seems at this stage, without motive, he probably just misunderstood the situation just like everything else at first. Now Everett did have something against Shep and we found out the reason why. Notice the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
        I am rather disappointed that nothing got resolved by the end of this episode. Don't get me wrong. I loved the episode and its plot twists and stuff (although it was rather obvious that the plans were not going to work). I would have just liked to see more thing resolved such as the wraith hive ships blow up or something and then we can still be leave hanging as to who have survived, etc.).

I just hope that season 2 doesn't start with the Prometheus popping in to save the day. That would be rather lame although I am sure the Prometheus will be involved somehow.

I enjoyed the episode but I just hate being left with the empty feeling of having to wait until the summer. When you build up the entire second half of the season on this final attack, I think you have got to resolve this a bit more than what they have done.
        It isn't Prometheus - its the Deadulus

Comment

Originally posted by CrackedButter
          You certainly don't know your military then.
          Know what? I don't give a flying fig if his characterization is "militarily accurate" or not. I still hate the guy, I still think he acted like a complete jackhole and I still don't like the way he sounded.

I also fail to understand what knowing the military has to do with liking a character or not and I highly doubt that TPTB wrote Everett figuring, "Oh, well, everyone will understand he's acting this way because he's a military guy". Being a Marine is a fact, not an excuse.

I've seen bunches of military-oriented movies and a handful of military shows. I've even loved by-the-book fanatically militaristic characters born with a ka-bar in their mouths, but that doesn't change the fact that in Everett's case, I hate him and find him thus far irredeemable. *shrug*

Defend him all you like. Explain that it's a "military thing". I still hate him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            Know what? I don't give a flying fig if his characterization is "militarily accurate" or not. I still hate the guy, I still think he acted like a complete jackhole and I still don't like the way he sounded.

I also fail to understand what knowing the military has to do with liking a character or not and I highly doubt that TPTB wrote Everett figuring, "Oh, well, everyone will understand he's acting this way because he's a military guy". Being a Marine is a fact, not an excuse.
            Isn't this like anything in life, not knowing enough about something generally leads a person to not understanding clearly either. It goes hand in hand. Hence all those cliches about fearing the unknown and what not.

I've seen bunches of military-oriented movies and a handful of military shows. I've even loved by-the-book fanatically militaristic characters born with a ka-bar in their mouths, but that doesn't change the fact that in Everett's case, I hate him and find him thus far irredeemable. *shrug*

Defend him all you like. Explain that it's a "military thing". I still hate him.
            Its typical in a conversation when one person goes off on a tangent and stops discussing the matter at hand after the other has proved his or her point.

I understand you hate him as a character but my point is more the reason why you hate him, as you have pointed out. You said don't understand, thus you might misinterpret his mannerisms asyou did. Then formed an opinion based on your lack of understanding.

You think he acted in ways which might have had ulterior motives and I don't think he did, simply for being military (plus again, the writers have openly had him out as having a grudge against Shep). The opinions here seem that one minute he is a clone of Sumner and has a Gung ho attitude, next minute he is hinted at being cold and calculating.

He infact complemented Weir later on when he said she was the best person in the "base" to negioate with the Genii. Notice he also calls atlantis a base and not a city?

He is simply a military man with a plan and doesn't have time for niceities with people he doesn't know and haven't earn't his respect of them. This all changes later when he comes on board and understands the people he is dealing with.
            Last edited by CrackedButter; 04 February 2005, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrackedButter
              You think he acted in ways which might have had ulterior motives and I don't think he did, simply for being military (plus again, the writers have openly had him out as having a grudge against Shep). The opinions here seem that one minute he is a clone of Sumner and has a Gung ho attitude, next minute he is hinted at being cold and calculating.

He infact complemented Weir later on when he said she was the best person in the "base" to negioate with the Genii. Notice he also calls atlantis a base and not a city?

He is simply a military man with a plan and doesn't have time for niceities with people he doesn't know and haven't earn't his respect of them. This all changes later when he comes on board and understands the people he is dealing with.
              That seems to be my impression as well... In fact I would go further and say that there is really not that much of him for us to like or dislike. He performed a role in the episode... he went on a quick journey of gruff military commander to I'm-sorry-I-was-such-an-idiot all in the space of 40 something minutes... it was a life and death situation and he acted according to his usual instincts. He gave the main players a chance to rise to the occasion and that was really why he was there.
              sigpic
              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Ok, first thing about this is Everett's opening dialogue was soo bad.
                It just didn't fit at all and unless they fix it I will be unhappy at buying the dvd/dvdboxset with it on.

Everyone watching it laughed so much at that bad dubbing, almost as bad as kungfu movies
                I didn't hear most of what he said frst time we watched it since we couldn't get over the disastrous re-record of that.

Other than that Everett was annyonig and acent fluctuating. I didn't mind him so much as episode went on but if he's dead then I won't care. And was it just me or did he have a strange thing going with Weir by the end? Almost like he was flirting, very odd. Of course I also hated the whole you killed my buddy thing because he realy ought to have understood if he'd read the reports but, ah well.

I prefered Seige part 1 to part 2. This won't be an episode I want to rewatch as much as others like part 1 but the cgi was fantastic, the shots of the city and the battle (the lights going out scene was wonderful). They deserve an award for what we see here.

Also little sad they downplayed Weir's negotiation/kidnapping - could have been more to it but I'm happy she gets such a strong role in the episode and hoping the genii and Prenim are back in Season 2, especially if Weir gets to deal with them again.

The whole Sheppard/Weir scene at the end really bugs me. Over the top soap opera-ish, doesn't make me like Sheppard so much, he should have gone done it rather than wasting time with angsty looks of goodbye.

Other thing I want to see in te continuation is McKay collapsing because he should be done in by the end of the crisis, he certainly looked near breaking point most of the way thorugh the episode. Unless he slept on the jumper flights in part 1 and between then it sounds like he hasn't slept properly for 2 weeks, if at all in that last week before this all.

The last thing is where was Sora?
                Its the battle and they need all the hands they can get and so why is she presumably sitting in the brig either with guards being wasted on her or being useless and just a tasty snack for some wraith if they find her there?

Comment

Great episode, I loved the night fight scenes and how the camera moved around the exteriors of Atlantis, then went in to close-ups, then to the interior! Breathtaking! The only bad thing is we have to wait sooooo long for season 2!

Comment

I'm glad to see that the site is back up. I don't normally post much here, but for this ep I made an exception.

And that with the worst timing in history.

Anyway, I was utterly blown away by this ep. I will even go as far as to forgive the vfx team for the cheesy tsunami earlier in the season. I retract every bad coment I made about the visuals back when "the eye" aired. The way they zoomed around the city was right up my alley. The only thing I would have done diffrently wasn't done (I'm sure) because of budget. But hey, I can live without the camera going all the way through the walls rather than just outside.
                    We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

I really disliked Everett. His voice was so annoying, something about it just drives me nuts. I'm not sure whether he is believable or not but I didn't like him and I hope he gets killed by a Wraith soon.

Regarding Bates, I used to dislike him but he's grown on me. I do think he has valid points in regard to security, but I think the way that he goes about things is bad. He could be a more tactful and less accusatory, and get the same points across more successfully.

McKay and Zelenka were fab as usual. I liked their point about how the military disregard them until they are really needed -- it struck me as very true.

It was fun to see sexy Shep in the chair kicking ass. Also cool that Ford jumped out to gun after the previous gunner got sucked up.

I adored Weir, and her 'I'm WAY beyond careful line.' I like her hard ass attitude -- it's her best side if you ask me.

Question about the new-found zpm and the Daedalus -- somehow I feel like sending just the zpm through the gate would have been better, rather than having to wait 4 days for the battle cruiser -- what do others think?

I was disappointed that it's a cliffhanger episode and I would probably die from withdrawal if I didn't have over 7 seasons of SG1 to catch up on!

Comment

Ya know, now that you remind me... I thought it was sheer brilliance having people get sucked up by the wraith darts, since that's EXACTLY what they're supposed to do. But it only seemed to be that one turret. It would have been nice (if catastrophic) to see LOTS of people get disappeared. It'd be exactly what I'd expect of the wraith. You don't want the enemy shooting at you? Make them go away.

Comment

Man, I read more and have more to say!

Everett getting on Shep's case about Sumner really annoyed me. It struck me as VERY unprofessional and petty of Everett, and explained his poor attitude towards Shep (I don't believe that Shep's history of disobediance is adequate for the level of Everett's dislike).

I loved the moment where McKay asked Beckett for 'more stimulants, we are working on nuclear weapons here!'

It was nice to see Sheppard stick up for Weir in front of Everett... it really showed how much he has grown in his attitude towards Weir's leadership since Hot Zone.
                          I absolutely agree...I was very pleased to see this also. It was also mildly shippy (squeeeee!).

Sheppard has very good intentions... to the point of being self-sacrificing... that is his blind spot... he cares too much and he is a man of action. He is not one to standby and do nothing if he feels he has the power to make things happen.
                          This is an excellent characterization, again I agree completely. Well said!

Comment

I thought the battle looked like fireworks. I thought the end shot with Ford was kind of wierd somehow...i guess...sitcomish in that it was all lined up, not something that normally happens on its own...

I thought it sucked at first, Everett sounded really choppy, and when he came through the gate magically seemed to know the facility like the back of his hand, I mean, sure I bet he looked at the files sent to earth...but still...
                            FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

I gotta say I absolutely loved this episode. The visual effects were breathtaking. The only thing that I didn't really like was the zooming around to each part of the city. Sure, my jaw was dropping the first time I saw it, but then it just started getting annoying seeing it over and over. It seemed like they were just doing it because they can. They've never had the urge to show that in previous episodes when they were in different parts of the city, so why do it now.

At first I didn't like Col. Everett, but then he started to grow on me. I can understand his position, his mission was to defend the city and when he arrives the first thing he sees is the base's commander getting ready to run away and blow up the city. After all it wasn't him who relieved Weir of duty it was O'neill. He didn't necesarily have to relieve her of duty, but could have just allowed Everett to be in charge of city defense while still being under Weir's command. And as a side note I just loved the berets the marines were wearing

I loved the Wraith's tactics, The meteor shower seemed kind of odd, but I guess it had to be done for the sake of the story. I really wasn't expecting the wraith darts to beam up the gunners, and I certainly wan't expecting Kamikazee tactics and only later learning that they've beamed into the city. That really took me by surprise.

One thing had me wondering, what's powering the city's self destruct, it certainly has to be something big to break apart a city. Couldn't they have just extracted the self destruct instead of going to the Genii for nukes, surely it has to be powerful enough to take out a hive ship if it can take down the city. But maybe they would have used that as a really last resort.

I was kind of peeved that it was a cliffhanger, but there's just too much story to tell in two episodes. It also reminded me of SG-1's earlier seasons where they knew for sure there would be another season, so they didn't have to have an obscure-possible-series-conclusion episode. When I actually think about it I prefer cliffhanger endings, it keeps me wanting more and adds to the suspense.
                              My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Maybe if he'd kept the Southern accent consistently. It seemed like the actor kept forgetting to do it- sometimes Everett had an accent, sometimes he didn't and his voice still didn't sound right.
                                It's been my experience that people who grew up speaking English with strong regional accents, then go away to larger urban centres for schooling or employment, often learn to suppress their accents. However, every so often, their accents re-surface. Consequently, Everett's fluctuating southern accent doesn't bother me one bit.
                                To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Working...
                                X