The Siege, Part 2 (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greytop
    Does anyone know who played the Athosian that was Teyla's sparing partner when she and Colonel Dillon first met?
    I think he was one of their fight chorographers. I heard that one the pod cast.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
      Was it supposed to be some gung ho Texas accent? Because it wasn’t. Or if somebody can say, yeah, that’s a real Dallas accent that guy has, I say, so what? I thought it was fake.
      I agree with you that the actor delivered it in a very bad, very fake way, and I say that having lived in Texas all my life, so far. He got some subtle details wrong - drawl, emphasis, up and down modulation in his voice, that, altogether, just struck a wrong note. I don't hold him responsible for the actual "Texanness" of his word choice because the writers, not the actor, controlled that.

As for reality, there are Texans who do talk like that to varying degrees. It's more associated with lower socio-economic class, but that is far from a constant.

Imagine that there's an X/Y axis chart, and Texas slang word choice is on the X axis and drawl in pronunciation is the Y axis. Everett is way out there on both axes. Everett most approximates lower-education, lower socio-economic class Texans, among whom you can find more drawl and lots of use of Texas slang. You might find someone who's educated but drawly, or educated and not drawly but uses Texas slang. But it's rare to find someone who's educated, or advanced in business, society or their profession, who's both drawly and slangy.

As I said, this isn't a constant. There are exceptions. You might be familiar with Ross Perot. He's a billionaire Texan who talks with slang and drawl. He grew up near my father-in-law in Texarkana and my father-in-law has no appreciable Texas slang or drawl. It's my opinion Perot and others like him kind of play-up their accent as projecting a the Texas cowboy/good-old-boy persona.

Another person who puts on such an accent is George W. Bush. 'Nuff said.

So Everett's either a military guy from a pretty humble Texas family/socioeconomic background who worked his way up, or a guy who's not from such a background, but who has, or even accentuates, a Texan way of speaking because that's part of his persona.

It didn't come off well and distracted from the episode.
      ~*~*~*~*~*
      not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

I thought this was a great episode, and I can't wait to see part 3.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by N8ball88
          I thought this was a great episode, and I can't wait to see part 3.
          Nate! It's good to see you on GateWorld! Too bad you won't be in part three. Did your character have a name, by the way?
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
            So Everett's either a military guy from a pretty humble Texas family/socioeconomic background who worked his way up, or a guy who's not from such a background, but who has, or even accentuates, a Texan way of speaking because that's part of his persona.

It didn't come off well and distracted from the episode.
            I don't see why he had to have any kind of accent at all. He just needed to be firm in his beliefs. Cutting out the Atlantis expedition from the decision making process would have made us hate him enough.

I'm sorry his character came off the way it did. The episode would have been so much better if Everett was more believable. When you are yelling at the screen because of an actor's delivery, instead of the words and actions of the character, then there's a problem.

My kind of guy:
            "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
            Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
            (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
              Nate! It's good to see you on GateWorld! Too bad you won't be in part three. Did your character have a name, by the way?
              Thanks! My character had no name that I know of.

2004 Get in the Gate Winner

The less often a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by N8ball88
                Thanks! My character had no name that I know of.
                You should give him a name.

Comment

Does anyone know who played the Athosian that was Teyla's sparing partner when she and Colonel Dillon first met?
                  Maybe James Bamford (or BAMBAM), who is her fight choreographer/trainer? She is really amazing and in great physical condition. He must be a terrific trainer and teacher!
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

His name is James Bamford. He's the Stunt Coordinator for SGA.

Comment

Thanks, guys/gals. I had already found that out.

Comment

Okay, at the time of the Siege Part Two exactly how much time has the Atlantis team been on Atlantis? I thought during the Storm that they had been there for over half a year but then in The Brotherhood McKay says 'a matter of months.' That doesn't sound like a very long time. So I was just wondering what you guys think about this.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                          Okay, at the time of the Siege Part Two exactly how much time has the Atlantis team been on Atlantis? I thought during the Storm that they had been there for over half a year but then in The Brotherhood McKay says 'a matter of months.' That doesn't sound like a very long time. So I was just wondering what you guys think about this.
                          Well I think by Suspicion they'd been there a couple of months, I think 3, so my presumption has always been that it's somewhere between 5-9 months. Of course a matter of months couple mean up to 11 but I tend to think if it was over 9 Rodney might round it closer to a year. It was atleast also 2 weeks between Brotherhood and The Seige Part 2 wasn't it? So I'd guess it has to be at least 4 months minimum.
                          Last edited by Purpleyin; 28 May 2005, 02:25 PM.

Comment

So you'd say 4 to 9 months then?

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                              So you'd say 4 to 9 months then?
                              Yep. Though I'm sure other people will have there thoughts on it too, well hopefully. I've always wondered about it but never had anyone to discuss it with.

Comment

Wouldn't that change things up a bit if it was less then a year? SG-1's seasons have always taken place over roughly a year so they could, in episodes, refer to something that happened five seasons ago as happening five years ago.

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X