The Siege, Part 1 (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! Always love the useless opinions.
    ~Percussive Maintenance - The fine art of repeatedly whacking an electronic device to get it to work again.~

Think before you hit 'Post': Friends may come and go but enemies accumulate. *sigh*

My LiveJournal: watch me babble about Stargate and life in general here.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
      I like this one, maybe have a few episodes of him trying to survive alone with no way to communicate long distance. Or he just beamed into the rear compartment of the PJ and got knocked out...Rodney and Miller will find him on their way to the loo.
      Funny idea

I agree with all of you that he might still be alive - nice idea, but I assume that would mean someone else has got to die - like Bates - and I wouldn't want that

Comment

I cant wait to see this episode! GAH!

It better be good. I wonder who dies! I hope its nt who I think it is!
        Last edited by TechnoBoY; 26 January 2005, 12:37 PM.
        "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha17X
          Ok i"m gonna stop using the spoiler tag now as this is a spoilertastic thread. The <snip> is powered by a <snip>.
          You know, you still need spoiler warnings/tags for upcoming episodes!!
          Originally posted by joanne1138
          Yay! Always love the useless opinions.
          Why thank you!
          Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I'm rather more hopeful Grodin is alive after rewatching the explosiion frame by frame.
            there's an odd bit of debris that comes off at slighlty iffy trajectory - at first I wondered if it was a dart - though that seems foolish for wraith to do when also firing on the thing. rewatching it appears its part of the satellite - at the side that sort of detaches/undocks and moves away.

I could just be debris but it moves across screen deliberately away into your view, like its filling the corner - meant for us to see?

I thought i might be imagining it but a friend rewatched it and agrees it looks to be moving faster than the other debris and looks too shiny and pointy for a dart but like part of the the satelite.

They also pointed out they were expecting a much large explosion considering theres a naquadah generator on board the satelite - since the explosion from one in hotzone was quite big.
            That might point to the bit they docked to being the same bit that might be detaching - and if so likely to have both Grodin and the generator on - explains the odd debris and the lack of big explosion.

Far fetched I know but not impossible. I really hope this might be becasue I want the character back and he was listed as being in part 2 on imdb.

Here's a rather unclear screen cap I got of it as it moves away - couldn't get any better unfortunately.
            http://elnino.is-a-geek.com/hannah/1..._whatsthis.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by elvital
              Funny idea I agree with all of you that he might still be alive - nice idea, but I assume that would mean someone else has got to die - like Bates - and I wouldn't want that
              I don't want to lose Bates either. I really respect Bates because he is a great chief of security. He doesn't let his emotions take over like Sheppard does. Instead of Bates dying, they could kill random scientist #7...that would be okay.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzcoatl
                Do you mean the thing on the blue display?

This?:

[IMG]DONTQUOTEPICS[/IMG]

It looks like a fancy Ancient screensaver to me.

*Would have replied soon had he had access to a computer*

Yes, thats exactly what I meant, I wish that these things had a purpose. Would make it a lil more interesting. IMO.

Comment

So I finished watching “The Siege: Part 1” yesterday. As usual, here are my comments/opinions on the episode for Atlantis, Season 1.

Things I Liked:
                  1. The banter between Grodin and McKay in the weapons platform.
                  2. McKay falling when Grodin turned on the gravity.
                  3. The weapons platform tearing apart the Wraith Hiveship
                  4. McKay freaking out in the space suit. He’s so cute when he’s scared.
                  5. The whole T-Rex thing. Damn that Sgt. Bates and his jumping to conclusions.
                  6. Bob!! First Steve, now Bob! I love those Wraith we name!
                  7. The little brouhaha between Teyla and Bates.
                  8. Weir’s speech right at the end. I got a little teary-eyed.

Thing’s I Didn’t Like:
                  1. Zelenka’s simulation of Atlantis’ destruction. Scary!!
                  2. GRODIN!!! Nooooo!!!! Our one British guy we’ve been introduced to, gone!
                  3. Halling’s stupid speech about Atlantis and not destroying it. If it means saving Earth, blow it to hell! They aren’t coming back!
                  4. Bates accusing Teyla of compromising their location. I know she would never do such a thing! But still, poor Bates.
                  5. Not ONE mention of Earth. I mean, at least someone should mention it. Maybe Ford??

Good Quotes/Moments:
                  1. “Keep an eye on my city while I’m gone.” What! McKay’s city!
                  2. The whole Zelenka/McKay banter at the beginning about who is smarter! Cute!
                  3. The whole 8-hour thing in the space suit. He was so nervous it was cute.
                  4. Grodin’s last words. “I’m sorry.”
                  5. All of Weir’s speech.
                  “May I have your attention please? This is Dr. Weir. Our plan to stop the Wraith armada has failed. They will make it to Atlantis. Therefore, we must being our evacuation plans. I wish I could tell you all this is a fight we will win, but I can’t do that. I wish I could tell you we will find a safe harbor when we leave here. I can’t promise you that either. I can tell you this: Up to know, you all have accomplished extraordinary things. And I believe that even in the face of an uncertain future, as long as we stay together, we have a chance to do so. Now we all have our evacuation duties, so thank you. And I’ll see you on the other side.”

Overall, an 8/10. I expected some action, not just talking and seeing an Ancient’s weapon platform destroy a Hiveship. Not too exciting, but some good moments and the whole feel of the episode was good. Kinda sad to know the first season of Stargate: Atlantis ends in one week!

*Sorry about the switch-around with my posts Mods!

Comment

I really liked this episode. Grodin's death was well done I thought. Still we didn't see him that much after the two episodes, so I had a feeling he would be outted in some way.

Bob didn't have a long shelf life as far as Wraith's go. Even Steve lasted longer than him.

I think Part 2 is going to be action packed. I can't wait, even though it will most likely be a cliffhanger like all other SG Season finales.

Comment

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed...

...but if that Wraith pilot was hiding in Atlantis for two weeks, what did it do for food? If he had fed on a human, wouldn't someone have raised the alarm when that person went missing? Unless the feeding only took place very close to the time Bates ran into him (hence Bates not being drained of his life force). Or maybe Wraith only need to feed once every few weeks?

And why the heck did it take the Atlantis crew so long to get internal sensors going that could differentiate between human and non-human life signs, not to mention differentiating between various types of humans? It's not like there haven't already been incidents of hostile intrusions in Atlantis.
                      To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Ive gotten the impression the wraith dont need to feed very often at all really. Definitly not daily, nor weekly..

and the reason the sensors were down was explained in the ep. They said that to save power they only turned them on in the gate room (because it was the location where they suspected theyd need to detect people)

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
                          Ive gotten the impression the wraith dont need to feed very often at all really. Definitly not daily, nor weekly..
                          It does seem that way.

Originally posted by Blend
                          and the reason the sensors were down was explained in the ep. They said that to save power they only turned them on in the gate room (because it was the location where they suspected theyd need to detect people)
                          But they weren't even doing periodic sensor sweeps, even after encountering unknown entities ("Hide & Seek"), being invaded ("The Storm"), having the city perimeter breached ("The Brotherhood"), or having Teyla's wraith-sensing abilities conveniently causing nightmares ("The Gift").

I guess it all serves the story as written, but as a fan of Sgt Bates being a cautious security chief, I'm a bit disappointed Atlantis security wasn't better addressed before Bates got ambushed.
                          To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                            Whew... it's getting hot in here...

Just when you think that it is not possible for Atlantis to feel more desperate, voila... the TPTB pull out another trick! Wow... they've really upped the tension yet again... what a fabulous first season this has been. I don't think I've felt this much urgency since season 3 of B5...

"In war there are casualties..." The TPTB are certainly taking this as their motto for Season One... what is the body count now?... Poor Grodin... at least he gave his life for others... noble to the last... will miss his James Masonish voice...

Ha... the "Bob" wraith finally emerges... Shep's got such great chemistry with the Wraith, hasn't he?

The running naming joke resurfaces ... I'm with Ford... labelling planets with numbers and alphabets is very unromantic... Now I remember why I like Ford... He's got this boyish eagerness that I find endearing.

Weir gets to do a Winston Churchill! Yeah, the Battle for Atlantis! That woman is going from strength to strength.

Lots of Zelenka... nice... I heard "Bradek" also... Banter with McKay was fabulous and a lovely touching moment when they shook hands. Ahhhh... the Two Davids.
                            I agree, last time I was wanting to see the next episode now was Star Trek: Deep Space 9 when the dominion was was going on and those convienent season ending episodes always left you wanting to know how things were going to turn out.
                            Movie Theater

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
                              But they weren't even doing periodic sensor sweeps,

I got the impression that the part of the (Manhattan sized) city where the scout beamed down was empty of Atlantis personel. They didn't use the great big aliens-among-us sensors because of energy issues, and, lets face it, there is a lot to do for so few people in such a large place, what with the Genii attacking them, clean-up after that horrendous storm, disease breaking out, etc, etc.

I figured that "Bob" brought... erm... "supplies" with him, which would explain the white dots surrounding his orange dot on the sensor screen.

as a fan of Sgt Bates being a cautious security chief, I'm a bit disappointed Atlantis security wasn't better addressed before Bates got ambushed.

<nods> Maybe now the guy will get the respect and co-operation he deserves.

How do you folks imagine how that encounter went, between Bob and Bates? Bates must have surprised the scout for him not to have been stunned. I hope Bates had the chance to give as good as he got. Of course, Bob heals quickly(at least he used to <eg>), so I guess we'll never know.
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Elliot
                                5. Not ONE mention of Earth. I mean, at least someone should mention it. Maybe Ford?
                                Uhh, Earth was mentioned quite a bit...
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X