No announcement yet.

Hot Zone (113)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one else notice the prime number references and jokes Dr. Rodney and the other scientists make from the original Cube movie? I lol'd. Other than that it was a Pritty good episode, but it continues to bother me how The Marines are wearing there covers improperly! They need to be ironed at least and starched if possible they all look to big as well.

Comment

When Rodney had the ancient gene, why did it still affect him by letting him see hallucinations?
      Spoiler:
      We know from later eps that probably the replicators made those nanoviruses. As they couldn't go against their creators that must be the reason why those with the ancient gene didn't die. But why did they have hallucinations? That would also count as harming their creators, wouldn't it?
      Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

Probably, but remember, the Ancients were not perfect. They had their share of mistakes and technologies that they couldn't make work (or work properly).
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
          I completely agree. I couldnt believe that she just basically shut him out..the military head of Atlantis and she doesnt even consult him... what experience did she have in dealing with such matters and they would all have died if Sheppard didnt come up with his plan..
          I agree. I love when Sheppy saves the day
          sigpic

Comment

I loved how they kinda used this to forshadow us coming into contact with the Asurans.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              I loved how they kinda used this to forshadow us coming into contact with the Asurans.
              Did they really plan this?? I'm sorry but I don't have so much confidence in TPTB.

Comment

Originally posted by Skie View Post
                Did they really plan this?? I'm sorry but I don't have so much confidence in TPTB.
                sigpic

Comment

I tend to think they did.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    I tend to think they did.
                    That is wishful thinking.
                    Seriously with their track record of so-called story arcs ...

Comment

Joe Mallozzi's thoughts on this episode:
                      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...one-sanctuary/

HOT ZONE (113)

Following three wide open, all-out, kick-ass episodes, we shift gears to something a little more…self-contained. When members of the science team investigating unexplored sections of the city fall victim to a frightening contagion, Atlantis enacts security protocols, placing itself under lockdown. It’s another great episode for McKay that lays the groundwork for future stories – first and foremost the introduction of the Asurans, the mysterious creators of the nano-virus, but also Rodney’s sister Jeannie (who will end up making a few guest appearances in the coming seasons).

Again, what really stands out for me in this episode is less the threat faced than the reactions of our heroes – specifically, John Sheppard. In the opening two-parter, it is suggested that he’s a bit of a rebel, a loose cannon who has problems with authority. In later episodes he shows great courage and determination in the face of danger and yet, at the same time, also demonstrates a frustratingly cavalier attitude toward his commander, Weir. In Underground, he goes over her head by making defacto deals with the Genii. And in this episode, he openly challenges her authority by ordering Sgt. Bates to disregard her orders. Ultimately, Sheppard gets his way and his actions end up making an already bad situation worse when his intervention allows the nano virus to spread to the mess hall and endanger the lives of everyone there. In the end, he puts HIS life on the line and his heroic actions save the day, but he is surprisingly unrepentant in his post-plague discussion with Weir.

WEIR: But you are not the one who decides what is and what is not a military situation. Now, both General O’Neill and Colonel Sumner warned me that you don’t respect the proper chain of command.

SHEPPARD: Well, sometimes I see a situation a little different than …

WEIR: No. Listen to me, John. Now, you endangered yourself and the lives of many others.

SHEPPARD: Because I thought it was the best course of action to take — and, by the way, I saved your ass.

WEIR: I know you did — but you have to trust me.

SHEPPARD: I do!

WEIR: Do you?

Sheppard is let off the hook (more or less) because he saves the day, but how different would his conversation with Weir have been had any of the individuals in that mess hall died? Should the legitimacy of one’s actions be contingent on their results? Please discuss.
                      sigpic

Comment

I can hardly begin to say how much I hated this episode. Yes, the performances were good and the story was engaging for the most part. I'll overlook the terrible science, gaping plot holes, and convenient resolution. I won't even complain about the giant dangling thread dropped at the end that was never taken up again IIRC.

What makes me despise this episode so much is the destruction of Shep's character. He ignored protocol and disrespectfully undermined Weir's authority. It's not only that he showed a myopic lack of self-control or clear headed judgment. He arrogantly and defensively failed to acknowledge his errors or show any remorse for his misdeeds. He exhibited apallingly poor leadership skills when he willfully placed a subordinate at the center of his ill conceived feud. He went from the charismatic hero of The Storm/The Eye to a petulant and untrustworthy child.

Weir's character didn't make out much better because she was left looking servile and impotent.

Teyla didn't fair much better. Yes, she told Shep off, but she also followed him around like a docile pet. As a leader herself, she should have stepped in and taken some initiative to curb Shep's arrogance.

Comment

Thought it was an okay episode.

I liked the foreshadowing to Season 3.

Tomorrow, the Expedition finds a paradise, and devolves.
                          sigpic

Comment

The only good thing about this episode was the fact they were exploring Atlantis finally!

Bad thing, another contagion and hallucinations.

Comment

My Livejournal post

Oh dear, just as I was thinking how cool Sheppard was in the last three eps...
                              And I thought he respected Weir.
                              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Pretty meh ep.

Shep was just plain annoying. So was the guy who kept trying to get back. Even though the best doctor on Atlantis was in the opposite direction.

Not much to say except that I didn't like it and most of the characters were out of character.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X