The Defiant One (112)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*idea* suggestion for Panther:
    ...and I've already posted a comment to the following topic to (help) get started on the rest-
    click on the link in my above post #283 to the
    "Stargate Military flaws" topic (the one listed above, not here)

and mention your *military* storyline concerns, complaints, or "flaws" there. It will probably be seen faster by TPTB (whoever they are), than here. I'm just guessing, but Here (ie: "episode" topics) seems more for the viewers to use as their *sandbox* -so to speak, and take that any way you want to imagine. Plus, you might get better detailed answers there than here.

I think some of your previous questions are good, but I *am* the wrong person to be directing most of them at. I basically only answered the question about Sheppard being next in line, because I had a few moments to do so; thought I was doing a nice favor for someone with less time; and didn't expect this sidelined *military* thing to drag on as long as it has. Tho, it's still partly related to the ep, it does take away from studying the rest of it.

Thus, I thought it would be better to go to the other topic noted above...

Also, *Strange* how you emphasize "realism" and find Stargate unrealistic, while other people find it very real, within reason of its *authorized* limitations, and connections to our 21st century sort of timeline.

According to a recent interview with SG newcomer Beau Bridges, the "real" Air Force signs off on the SG scripts (what is acceptable for presentation, etc). How real that info is, I don't know... but RDA seemed to hint at the same thing, during his collection of interviews, which involved the Air Force. {*cool* for those who didn't know.} In other words, SG has their utmost *blessing* ...jokes or no jokes. And obviously, *they* don't have a problem either with dithering from real reality and poking fun now and then.
    ========

SGA details: As for a semi-quick answer
    Originally posted by Panther:

You cannot hope to maintain proper command and control of your assets without a proper HQ! What is happening when Maj Sheppard is offworld? Who's accounting for supplies? Who maintaing sustainment training? Who's tracking manning, casualties and personell matters? Who's planning long term strategy? Who's collecting, analysing data on the Wraith and other potential enemies? Major Sheppard?
    beyond the assigned *desk* clerks to shuffle paperwork via computer here and there, civilian Dr. Weir. If you haven't seen "The Siege" eps yet, I'm not telling any more. (DO read the next *need to* "highlight" spoiler -it's got a possible answer)

Spoiler:
    You just might get your *military* changes wish.

Seems however, the guys in the control room have other analysing data to do than to simply monitor the equipment and keep their eyes glued to the technical screens. Oh... maybe that's revealed in a future ep too, tho... hmmm.

Hey, does that constitute as a spoiler, since I didn't mention the actual ep, nor what they were looking at?
    Spoiler:
    or actually found...
    it's *what* they actually found while Sheppard was away.
    Was that revealed in "The Brotherhood"?

oh, and who's doing the training? was that in "The Gift"? gotta foggy memory. Maybe it's the trainer guy (who *is* SG's real trainer James "BAMBAM" Bamford... and who I thought looked like Ben Browder or Michael Shanks at some angles) who was sparring with Teyla, who is doing some of the Pegasus galaxy *military* training, as well...?
    ...just a wild guess.

If you want to get spoiled, read the actual episode topics with tons of info already in them. Your answers might be revealed in there.

Originally posted by Panther:
    I personally would have chosen a 6-man team, adding two more combatants to ensure a better chance of survival in a contact, and enabling them to withdraw to the gate.
    Oooo! Personally, I prefer it when they send 2-four person teams out. Use one team as a back-up just in case. Six-man to explore, and 2 guards to watch over the PJ or gate (if it's on land). Thus, Weir sent Ford in as the 2nd team back-up (in "The Defiant One" ep).

When you start messing with the team numbers, it might offset the original Stargate joke: 4 person team... possibly has something to do with the "Wizard of Oz" group of 4, excluding the dog, unless the MALP is Toto.

kudos to whoever thought of that *gem*! Now we know why Jack O'Neill asked "why is it always 4? Who determined that we're always a team of 4?" or something to those words... Also, somewhere around that time came the 5th man.

Comment

Two four man teams doesn't work. There's more of a chance of discovery. You do not split up such a small team anyway. Survivability comes in numbers and firepower. I do not see a need to secure the Stargate, because a) if the area is hostile the MALP would have picked it up b) if the area is clear it's unlikely accessing the gate will be a problem later. Secondly, if I was going to hold an area, I'd use at least a reinforced light infantry company.

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est - "A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands"
      - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4BC-65AD)

Why it's a "magazine" and not a "clip".

Comment

Great Shep Episode!

Why didn't Shep name the Wraith? I guess he wasn't being interrogated.

Well, my husband calls him Wraithable Lector.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa
          Apparently Sheppard was the next highest ranking officer in line next to Sumner. I think it was the "HOME" episode that mentioned it, by Dr. Weir. *Spoilers* might require me to state what she said exactly... but I'd have to go back look at the ep, and write the info down first before posting it here.

Why he was next in line? *Limited* (military) crew taken to Atlantis? Or else they all got clobbered in various eps. Haven't a clue and don't recall hearing anything about it. I don't think they were expecting to mount a war. Going to Atlantis was originally a science exploration, not a military encounter. So, any military personnel taken, would be a light crew on a just in case basis (and that's just a wild guess).

Sheppard basically went to Atlantis because of his ancient GENE ability (turn on ancient related stuff), not go into battle and fight creatures and peoples he's never heard of before. Same with McKay... McKay was sent for his scientific expertise - not to hold a gun and be Shep's back-up, when in danger.

Weird that Sheppard would pick McKay to be on his team.

Comment

anyone know where this ep was filmed?
            MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
            I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

I think it was "The Richmond Sand Dunes".

Comment

I dont think so but maybe,to be honest I have no idea.
                sigpic

Comment

A question here, when they enter that downed Wraith hive ship and got into the fight etc and the thing was killed why didn't they return to the ship and try and salvage some equipment, technology to study etc maybe even that power source that was running the distress beacon?

Comment

Good question!
                    Spoiler for Siege part 1:
                    Spoiler:
                    They do go back to the satellite but as far as I know, never back to the planet.

It does take 15 hours each way in the puddle jumper, but apart from that, I can only guess they are too scared!
                    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Well probably true, i knew they went back to the satellite but well they should of gone back at some point or after i know it was end of episode but well the technology etc learning would of been beneficial and also if there was another Wraith they got the guns to beat it with.

Comment

Hi all. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm a newbie to SGA. I watched 9 1/2 seasons of SG-1 in a few months (a couple of months ago) and now I'm starting on SGA.

I really enjoyed this episode. I actually liked seeing the energy bugs from Prodigy again. (I assume they are the same bugs - though I don't think we saw them move through matter.) I don't know if anyone else mentioned this (sorry - I skimmed through some of the posts in this thread, but I just couldn't read all 15 pages - and I noticed some bit Shep-hate going on that I didn't want to get into either) but I think the behavior of these bugs was interesting because it shed some light on Prodigy. Spoiler for Prodigy:
                        Spoiler:
                        Carter and Hailey have different theories about the bugs and their behavior. Carter believes the bugs were reacting to one of their own being captured. Hailey thinks the bugs are attacking due to the moon's position near the poles - magnetic energy affecting their behavior. There was no resolution about who was right - something I enjoyed about that episode. Since the bugs never ganged up on the Wraith that kept killing them, my guess is that Hailey was actually correct in her assumption that the bugs only went crazy because of the moon's position and they would have gone back to normal soon.

I'm wondering whether the reason this Wraith was so hard to kill was actually because he had so recently fed. Maybe there's something more to it? Perhaps feeding on his own kind actually made him much tougher. (I'm just thinking out loud! Please, don't spoil me!)
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Actually, it's most likely that these aren't the same bugs (different galaxies, after all). They just look similar.

Comment

Thats a good point but they could have slipped through a gate or got stuck on a ship. Not likely put possible.
                            Since few people (if any) have moved between the milky way and pegasus for like 10 000 years they would have evolved separately.
                            Good epesode and Shep is hot when he gets beaten up - don't know why though...

Bye
                            sigpic
                            Beckett: What shall ah say?
                            Ford: Uh...Uh... I miss you... I wish you were here?
                            Beckett: I wish who was here?
                            Ford: Uh.... I dunno who do you wish was here?
                            Beckett: Nobody I wish I wasn't bloody here.

Comment

Heya

Good episode, really like it, cant really get any better quite funny as well lol

--Gaz--

Comment

Nice episode

But how could that wraith survive so much? It couldn't all be because of having fed on somebody recently...
                                spoilers for unending:
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X