The Eye (111)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by derrickh
    Also, I believe Shepard has killed more humans the he he's killed Wraiths since he's gotten to the Pegasus Galaxy.. Nearly 60 men and women in a few hours. Whether or not it was in the heat of battle, that's gotta weigh on a guy's conscious. Maybe he didn't have enough time to close the gate and start an outgoing connection (blocking the Genii from sending troops). And maybe he did.

D
    As it has been pointed out before and by Sora, Sheppard was protecting his Home. And if he did have time to start an outgoing connection. It would alert his presence and would have to leave the control room and still be outnumbered. Then as so soon as the Genii figured out how to disconnect it, they would just reconnect and send their men through. Thus defeating Sheppard's whole goal of stopping the Genii from taking over.

Too me thats just logical...if you're out numbered, won't you're goal be to try to at least even out the numbers to give yourself a fighting chance?

Besides those Genii that Sheppard killed weren't just any one. They were soldiers as much as Sheppard, and they should know that this mission could have meant death. It was like the Genii were civilians in desperate need of aid, and Sheppard just lifted the sheild because he didn't like them.
    ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Section_One
      Do you really have to put down BSG? Would you like to hear my real opinion of Stargate Atlantis, thus far? I don't think you would. You don't have anything nice to say about BSG, why bring it up at all? I love Stargate SG-1, The New BSG is a must see for me (still love the original) but they should really bring Farscape back and resurrect Space: Above and Beyond. First Wave or Nowhere Man would be good too in the 9pm slot on Fridays. I think you can tell where I am going with this....

(Wanted to see what other ppl thought of this episode....that's why I am in this thread, not to start anything. Atlantis is ok, well half of their episodes so far anyway, but definately nothing special. I remember the second week it was on, both SG-1 and Atlantis had the same story more or less (energy being).....kept asking myself.....didn't I basically just see this.....and done much better?)
      BSG is a rip-off of Star Trek. In so many ways.

And as I said I couldn't get into it, it was so freaking boring to me.

Don't get offended, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Comment

Actually, I love Atlantis but it’s also a rip off of Star Trek in many ways. The premise is Stargate all the way but the characters are not so original. As I said before McKay and Becket are pretty much Scottie and McCoy only reversed. Tayle seems to be a Spock/Worf mix. Weir is a lot like Picard was at first before he hardened up. And Sheppard is totally Kirk (when he’s not being an O’Neil Clone.) And the Wraith are a bluer, meatier version of the Borg (only with better personalities). Now, don’t get me wrong, I love all the Atlantis Crew and they work really well together, but this is only their first season and they’re basically still archetypes. I have confidence that once the actors and writers get used to the characters and their world they’ll start coming into their own.
        Last edited by impulsivelad; 23 January 2005, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by impulsivelad
          Actually, I love Atlantis but it’s also a rip off of Star Trek in many ways. The premise is Stargate all the way but the characters are not so original. As I said before McKay and Becket are pretty much Scottie and McCoy only reversed. Tayle seems to be a Spock/Worf mix. Weir is a lot like Picard was at first before he hardened up. And Sheppard is totally Kirk (when he’s not being an O’Neil Clone.) And the Wraith are a bluer, meatier version of the Borg (only with better personalities). Now, don’t get me wrong, I love all the Atlantis Crew and they work really well together, but this is only their first season and they’re basically still archetypes. I have confidence that once the actors and writers get used to the characters and their world they’ll start coming into they’re own.
          I see a whole lot of Star Wars and Star Trek in Stargate SG:1/Atlantis.
          And BSG. (Star Trek)

Comment

My fiance said the same thing. She doesn't even like Stargate but I made her watch Atlantis with me this week. She doesn't like Trek either but pointed out the scottish guy as a rip off. It's a shame!

Comment

Overall I think SG1 is much better than Atlantis.

And I was completely unimpressed by the first ten episodes of Atlantis.

But #11 was fantastic, IMO. And frankly, the replicators are really, really boring. This week's Atlantis was head and shoulders above this week's SG1. The Gua'uld are better than the Wraithe, but the Wraithe are much better than the Replicators. The Wraithe are a race of people that *must* kill humans to survive, like vampires in space. The replicators are....borg, minus assimilation. And the borg were only interesting in their first two appearances in TNG, and dull as hell after that.

And to be fair, the first ten episodes of SG1 were pretty lame. SG1 didn't get good until There But For The Grace Of God and the ensuing arc.

With the Eye, Atlantis finally has promise.

Comment

Honestly...I would compare Sheppard far more to Riker than Kirk. He doesn't have nearly enough humanist rants to be like Kirk. His backstory was even copied directly from Riker's backstory. Sheppard defied orders to save lives of his men. Riker defied orders and didn't let his captain go down to the surface. They're the same person! Next season Shep'll have a beard!

The rest of the characters...I really don't see them as being clones. They're not clones, they're stock characters. There's a difference.

McKay is the stock obnoxious megalomanic nerd with a sort of a self-parodying trying-to-cope-with-people variation.

Beckett..he has a Scottish accent, and that's all he has in common with Scotty. He's the perennial risk-averse humanist.

Ford is the hard nosed military guy who is, by the way, the only character who feels like somebody you might actually encounter in the military.

Weir is the accomplished diplomat to counterbalance the military inclinations of Sheppard and Ford.

Teyla is the prideful native person who is willing to work alongside the protagonists and be an intermediary.

None of these characters are anything new to scifi. None of SG1's characters were anything new to scifi. But they're all made interesting by the comedic feel SG1 has, that RDA stipulated before he took the job, and that has been translated over to Atlantis.

Comment

Oh, I totally agree. I never called them clones, read the last two lines in my post.

Originally posted by impulsivelad
                  this is only their first season and they’re basically still archetypes. I have confidence that once the actors and writers get used to the characters and their world they’ll start coming into they’re own.
                  And I do think you're right about Riker, which works well with my Weir as Picard thing. It's a good dynamic... hope they do some interesting stuff with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                    As it has been pointed out before and by Sora, Sheppard was protecting his Home. And if he did have time to start an outgoing connection. It would alert his presence and would have to leave the control room and still be outnumbered. Then as so soon as the Genii figured out how to disconnect it, they would just reconnect and send their men through. Thus defeating Sheppard's whole goal of stopping the Genii from taking over.
                    Wait, was Sora refering to Idos, the 55 men just killed, or Sheppard?

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                    Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                      She was talking about Sheppard, and how he was doing what any Genii would do in his place.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit
                        Honestly...I would compare Sheppard far more to Riker than Kirk. He doesn't have nearly enough humanist rants to be like Kirk. His backstory was even copied directly from Riker's backstory. Sheppard defied orders to save lives of his men. Riker defied orders and didn't let his captain go down to the surface. They're the same person! Next season Shep'll have a beard!
                        Hope not... too much hair can be a bad thing... look at Teyla for example...

None of these characters are anything new to scifi. None of SG1's characters were anything new to scifi.
                        Of course not... and apart from the humour, they've certainly had a more consistent narrative arc than TNG or TOS ever did.
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                          I believe, Sora was talking to Kolya on their wrist communicator, and he was like he killed 55 of my men. And she said "To defend his home, like we would" Or something like that. I'm too lazy to check for the exact quote.
                          ~Athena

Comment

How much in terms of supplies did the Genii get away with on Atlantis?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperspace
                              How much in terms of supplies did the Genii get away with on Atlantis?
                              Well...i guess it safe to say they did't get the C4, since Sheppard hid all of those. So they might have taken what ever Medical supplies that they might have had a vague knowledge of and left everything else.
                              ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                                they've certainly had a more consistent narrative arc than TNG or TOS ever did.
                                True, it'd be great if they took a page from DS9 and had these long season sweeping storylines. I was watching the DS9 DVD boxsets and they're great. It's like every season is a chapter in a novel.

As for how much suppiles the Genii took... not much, only Kolya and one other guy escaped into the gate.

Oh and Sheppard killed more than 55. That was only with the iris, but before that he shot three soldiers in the head, and then he shot a bunch more when they were trying escape with McKay and Weir. So, in the Eye, alone he killed more than 60.

Comment

Working...
                                X