Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Sheppard, I re-read the review and noticed this observation:
    Originally posted by Taylor Brown
    Again, John Sheppard has a natural ability to take control of alien technology without knowing it.
    What alien technology? There was no tech, it was all mind games. I still think it has to do with Sheppard's way of dealing with the world. He deals with what he sees and how he reacts to the physical world. He goes with his gut and has to know in an instant when something doesn't feel right. It's what makes him a great pilot.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Just saw Home last nite. It was far too predictable. The first "rushed" plot of the Atlantis series, IMO.

Why did Sheppard "know" something was not right?

Why didn't he show some emotion when his two dead buddies showed up? Just telling us they were dead was weak.

I did like how excited Teyla was at the human markets! It made sense that she would not have noticed anything wrong with their situation.

I did like how Weir and MacKay kept changing in order to show each character's POV, and I appreciated the fact that their fantasy was full of flaws. That makes much more sense than, for instance, the almost flawless fantasy that Hathor set up for SG-1 in Out of Mind(although I have a theory about why that was).

I liked how the aliens tried to defend themselves and how unprepared they were for the possibility that others would come looking for the SG-A team. It gave them a more alien feel than their "appearance." I also liked how General Hammond stayed in (alien) character for the entire show. Well played, DSD.

I would have liked a little more interaction between Weir and the alien, since she is the leader and diplomat. This is a whole new life form, and SG-A killed many of them when they first opened the Gate; there should have been... I dunno, something more.

The ep had great moments, making up for a weak plot, so I'd rate it, "good."
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        Just saw Home last nite. It was far too predictable. The first "rushed" plot of the Atlantis series, IMO.
        I always find it interesting how people feel about the same thing. I loved this episode. So much to discuss about.

Why did Sheppard "know" something was not right?
        See my views in the post right above yours. Haven't you ever been in a situation that just didn't "feel" right? Sheppard is like O'Neill is that respect.

Why didn't he show some emotion when his two dead buddies showed up? Just telling us they were dead was weak.
        Didn't you see Sheppard's eyes after he invited his friends in, closed the door and leaned up against the door? That flicker of pain and loss? The set of his mouth? The look of a man who had just swallowed hard? That was when I knew he knew something was wrong.

Joe Flanigan was incredible in that one shot. I liked him before, but that one look has won me over.

My kind of guy:
        "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
        Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

I picked up on his shock and his kinda wincing when he saw who it was, so I knew he wasn't happy to see them, but I never guessed why until he said something. I just figured they weren't friends anymore. Which, technically, is true.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            I just figured they weren't friends anymore. Which, technically, is true.
            Or that he doesn't like the nickname "Shep" and thought of them as overloud annoyances. At least that's how i (mis)interpeted his reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
              See my views in the post right above yours. Haven't you ever been in a situation that just didn't "feel" right? Sheppard is like O'Neill is that respect.
              <G> I stll haven't read down that far!

I just didn't see enough wierdness at that point to establish that anything was amiss. I was told so, not shown.

Didn't you see Sheppard's eyes after he invited his friends in, closed the door and leaned up against the door? That flicker of pain and loss? The set of his mouth? The look of a man who had just swallowed hard? That was when I knew he knew something was wrong.

Joe Flanigan was incredible in that one shot. I liked him before, but that one look has won me over.
              Nope, didn't see it. In my defense, I watched the ep on squinty; I'm happy if I can actually tell what character I'm looking at.

Okay, so I'll have to reserve judgement on that scene.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                <G> I stll haven't read down that far!
                Well, hop to it! There's a whole 'nother episode to discuss!

I love this episode so much, I'm sure I'll be discussing it again when it repeats.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  You can get an "I'm with Genius" shirt right here. It isn't anything like McKay's shirt except for the words and the inclusion of an arrow pointing up, but it's still funny.
                  BRILLIANT. Thank you!!

Comment

I was just thinking that, well, technically, they were dreaming. Personally, I don't question strange little things in dreams, because your mind just accepts it. Sure, if it starts getting really weird, maybe (never had a lucid dream though, blah), but otherwise you don't really notice.

Comment

Sorry if this has been asked already..but I thought that the Atlantis Stargate was the only one able to return home to Earth. I take it that it had the proper Chevron symbol(s) to do it..

How did McCay hook up the other gate to do it?

Comment

It's explained in the episode that it's not the gate itself that is the only one capable of reacing earth, but it's the Atlantis DHD's control crystal that allows it. That's why McKay has to mess with the DHD during the episode.

Comment

Oh ok thanks. I'll have to watch for that closer the second time around

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Seven
                            Oh ok thanks. I'll have to watch for that closer the second time around
                            It's the scene in the conference room right after the first commercial break.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Interesting episode... I left it with a slightly disappointed feeling, mainly because it hadn't been quite what I expected. I had no spoilers beyond the name of the episode and a pic of Weir with Simon, so I was looking forward to an episode actually connecting Atlantis to the SGC, however briefly. We know there's going to be contact between them throughout the shows, and I had been thinking, "Wow! Great job tying that in so early!" So much for that.

Other than "not being exactly what Standback wanted", though, good episode. I've really enjoyed pretty much everything so far.

Just one question, though: how does the team get back to Atlantis from the Mist Planet? Gating would presumably kill at least a few of those energy creatures, and Shep specifically said that puddlejumping would take, what was it, 408 years? What's the deal - it's OK to kill a few mistbeingthingies?
                              That will be all, Citizen. Thank you for your cooperation. Have a nice daycycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Standback
                                Just one question, though: how does the team get back to Atlantis from the Mist Planet? Gating would presumably kill at least a few of those energy creatures, and Shep specifically said that puddlejumping would take, what was it, 408 years? What's the deal - it's OK to kill a few mistbeingthingies?
                                They probably reasoned that if they didn't report back Atlantis would dial in looking for them. Since they couldn't contact Atlantis and tell them not to dial in, they figured that the Myst creatures would have to suffer at least one more Stargate activation, so they might as well use it to get home (to Atlantis).
                                Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Working...
                                X