No announcement yet.

Thirty Eight Minutes (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This ep makes me miss Markham & Stackhouse...and Ford.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Akai View Post
      It's basically been stated that stargates are "intelligent" to an extent...ie, they know what's going through them. A ship only half going through would be disasterous. A rope doesn't really matter. Stargates have very complex AI that determines what kind of matter is going through them and decide the best way to deintegrate/reintegrate it. Yes, this is plot device AI/physics but I think it is pretty internally consistent. The tape didn't show how long the gate was open before Ernest went through. It could've been open for 38 minutes. It makes sense that they would've studied it while it was open before sending someone through. It could've cut off at exactly 38 minutes, snapping the rope.
      Good point.. Heck, for all we know the stargates MIGHT be sentient in a form..

Comment

Also...if something is deintegrated in the stargate but not transmitted when the wormhole cuts off, the object doesn't actually "cease to exist"...it does still exist, but in a deintegrated matter stream. When the stargate clears the buffer, or when a wormhole is closed before an object is transmitted, the deintegrated matter stream is probably just shunted into hyperspace. Thus, the object still exists in a matter of speaking, but in an unrecoverable deintegrated state in hyperspace. The reason the Earth gate has been able to be cut off while an object was in transit (for example, Red Sky) is because they don't use a DHD, they manually override stargate safety protocols to do things they shouldn't be able to do (and wouldn't be able to do with a DHD). In 48 Hours, the transmitting gate did have a DHD, that's the only reason Teal'c was stored in the stargate buffer, even though the situation was basically the same as Red Sky. Another interesting idea: we know that stargate wormholes go through hyperspace. What would happen if the Odyssey/Daedalus/an Asgard ship/a Goa'uld ship/etc just happened to cross the part of hyperspace that the wormhole went through while travelling in hyperspace? That's never happened in the show, but I wonder what the results would be.
        Last edited by Akai; 01 June 2007, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Akai View Post
          <<snip>> for space only; nice explanation-

Another interesting idea: we know that stargate wormholes go through hyperspace. What would happen if the Odyssey/Daedalus/an Asgard ship/a Goa'uld ship/etc just happened to cross the part of hyperspace that the wormhole went through while travelling in hyperspace? That's never happened in the show, but I wonder what the results would be.
          Ooh, a plot bunny! Mind if I explore it in a fic? Promise to give cred!

Just playin', just sayin'. Love the idea, though.
          MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
          sigpic
          Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler Enroute1 View Post
            Ooh, a plot bunny! Mind if I explore it in a fic? Promise to give cred!

Just playin', just sayin'. Love the idea, though.
            Sure, I've got no problem with that.

Comment

This is a pretty good episode, I do have to say that the bug really did look fake to me, I wanted it to look a little more real.

I think everyone did a great job in this episode.

I loved when Elizabeth busted Cavenaugh. (or however you spell it )

Comment

Originally posted by esheppard View Post
                I loved when Elizabeth busted Cavenaugh. (or however you spell it )
                Yea, kind of didnt liked that part of Elizabeth character - very undiplomatic.
                We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

Even diplomats get tired of people's crap at times.

Comment

I just have to say, that out of all season 1 this episodes is my absolute favourite, I could watch it over and over forever. The reason I like it so much? Probably because it is the first episode with Radek in it, I love him.

~AB

Comment

great episode!probably my favorite in s1

Comment

I love this episode! Sheppard rocks! It does make you miss Ford though. S1 is the best!
                        STOP KILLING WEIR!!!
                        Seriously, she's died HOW many times now?!

Comment

this episode is great it introduced the bug form of wrath and re introduced the fact that a worm hole only rematerialises things that are whole and that it only stays open for 38 minutes at a time.
                          sigpic

Comment

I liked very much this episode.But that flashback when the bug gets on Sheppard was very cool

Comment

i agree it was so great
                              sigpic

Comment

This episode was where I really got hooked on Atlantis. I loved the pilot and the episode after that, but this episode had me at the edge of my seat, eyes wide, going, "OMG. What's gonna happen? How are they getting out of this? Why does that bug have to be SO big? Did they really just kill Sheppard!?" I could not stop watching once I got to this episode. What a great episode. Really intense.
                                sigpic
                                Much thanks to Snowball for the banner! Many thanks to Cazzblade for the avatar!!
                                I'm a 60%er!
                                ~~~Iawen~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X