Radek Zelenka/David Nykl Appreciation, Thunk, Translation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
    I think it was more than instinct. Radek has two years worth of military training
    Radek's military training has not been made canon by the show yet!. From what I understand, there are ways to get out of the mandatory military service in the Czech Republic. You could probably confirm that.
    Spoiler:
    Would Radek be trying to hid from soliders if he had military training? Wouldn't he try to find ways to sabatoge the efforts of Lorne and his men? Instead his instinct was to hide from the soliders.

I don't know, just asking the question.

Last edited by Rosehawk; 16 December 2007, 10:31 PM.
    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
      Radek's military training has not been made canon by the show yet!. From what I understand, there are ways to get out of the mandatory military service in the Czech Republic. You could probably confirm that.
      Radek grew up in Communist Czechoslovakia. Back then there were only two ways to evade obligatory military service:

1. Being politically connected - Out of the question. Had Radek's family been politically connected, they wouldn't have to spend 3 months in a tent (ep. Tao of Rodney)

2. Severe medical condition - Radek's eyes might be bad, but so are mine and it didn't disqualify me from having to 'enjoy the privilege'

Spoiler:
      Would Radek be trying to hid from soliders if he had military training? Wouldn't he try to find ways to sabatoge the efforts of Lorne and his men? Instead his instinct was to hide from the soliders.

I don't know, just asking the question.
      Spoiler:
      He would know he's no match for a group of elite American soldiers. Not without a gun anyway. He would try to find a way out of there, hiding whenever he would hear voices and keep his eyes and ears open for any secrets he might see or hear along the way

Comment

Time for a *thunk* break!

Spoiler:

I wonder what he's describing in that second pic

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          LOL

Comment

Could be that the kitchen has grapefruit in at last

Comment

Blimey it's quiet in here

Comment

Spoiler:
                Well in the episode, he was politely yelling at Rodney, cause they were all tired and Rodney wouldn't let them leave

However, I think he is describing his fangirls to Rodney and John!
                Spoiler:

The hands are going in this one and his eyes are shining brighter, it's just gotta be the fangirls!

Originally posted by Reefgirl
                LOL.....Or this!

Originally posted by Pajus
                Radek grew up in Communist Czechoslovakia. Back then there were only two ways to evade obligatory military service:

1. Being politically connected - Out of the question. Had Radek's family been politically connected, they wouldn't have to spend 3 months in a tent (ep. Tao of Rodney)

2. Severe medical condition - Radek's eyes might be bad, but so are mine and it didn't disqualify me from having to 'enjoy the privilege'
                Thanks for sharing! I hope the privilege wasn't too difficult
                So Radek being a genius wouldn't have somehow exempted him if he score that high on tests?

Spoiler:

He does seem to know how to handle a gun!

Man, I wish you guys were on right now. I just had such a fun night in Improv class, I'm all hyped up and no one to share the *THUNKIN* with. *Sigh*
                sigpic

Comment

So Radek being a genius wouldn't have somehow exempted him if he score that high on tests?

Spoiler:

He does seem to know how to handle a gun!

In two words: No way

Man, I wish you guys were on right now. I just had such a fun night in Improv class, I'm all hyped up and no one to share the *THUNKIN* with. *Sigh*
                  Should I ever move to the US, I'll thunk with you all day (night) long

Comment

Well we're here now so spill Rosie

Comment

It's 3 AM where you live, but when was the last time it stopped you from thunking Zelenka?

Comment

David blogged again! Photos from Manchester and Berlin!
                        http://lettersfrompegasus.blogspot.com/

I especially love the one in the bus, but I do not understand what he means with "Those German's have a different word for everything."
                        The cake is a lie!

Comment

I wish I could. Don't have time. Just got home from work and now have to head out again for a meeting.

Class was sooooooo much fun. Wish I had had time to go out for the beer afterwards with some of the class.

Okay, I am spilling abit while I wait for my daughter to get ready.

We got to pick some of our favorite stuff to do and learn a few new games in the process. We did so many different things and everyone was really energized.

We had to do one game where it starts out with "Love is like......fill in an object, place, thing, etc." and then we had to associate the object with "Love is like". This game can get quite interesting and can get very dirty very quickly.
                          Teach can always tell when I am going to say something naughty cause I start turning red before I say it. This time I didn't start laughing, or smiling, I just used a sweet innocent tone and after I said it - and NO, I can't repeat it on-line- everybody was OMG, did she just say that and then they started laughing. My delivery was perfect - so sweet and innocent! What I was said was cute and no bad words were used, it just had a double meaning...*thunk* Think I have had lots of practice with double meanings on this thread!

Originally posted by iolanda
                          David blogged again! Photos from Manchester and Berlin!
                          http://lettersfrompegasus.blogspot.com/

I especially love the one in the bus, but I do not understand what he means with "Those German's have a different word for everything."
                          Actually he's had that out for a few weeks. That is a cute picture of him on the bus.
                          Thought for sure he would do something funny for his one year blog anniversary, ah well.....
                          I was curious what he meant by that too? If you ever find out, let us know!
                          Last edited by Rosehawk; 18 December 2007, 07:20 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
                            In two words: No way
                            Just out of curiosity, what is the age that you have to do military service in the Czech Republic? Is it automatic at a certain age? Do you get a few years to complete it?

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what is the age that you have to do military service in the Czech Republic? Is it automatic at a certain age? Do you get a few years to complete it?

Spoiler:

First: Military service in the Czech Republic is no longer obligatory. I've got to be in the last batch and it was cancelled after six months.

Now. When you are a man 17 years of age, you'll receive a drafting notice sometime in december (or June). You fill out the paperwork attached to it and go with the notice to the regional military directorate within 14 days after receiving the notice. In April (October) of the following year, you'll receive another letter telling you when and where you are supposed to go to the drafting committee. They examine you medically (eyesight, hearing, allergies, ...) and pronounce you either fit or not fit for military service. Students could have the service postponed by one year to complete secondary school. When you are pronounced fit for duty, you'll receive a notice about two months later, telling you where and when to go.

In case you want to use this in a fanfiction, please bear in mind that Radek is almost 20 years older than me. Back then they didn't take only those, who couldn't so much as carry a rifle, let alone fire it (including John Sheppard). And even they were subjected to detailed medical testing. And the time you spend in a brig doesn't count as active duty and you'd have to serve over-time for it (meaning Sheppard would probably serve until the end of his days)

Evading obligatory military service was a full-fledged crime and was punished with (I think, can't remember exactly) 2 years of prison

Comment

I wish I could. Don't have time. Just got home from work and now have to head out again for a meeting.

Class was sooooooo much fun. Wish I had had time to go out for the beer afterwards with some of the class.

Okay, I am spilling abit while I wait for my daughter to get ready.

We got to pick some of our favorite stuff to do and learn a few new games in the process. We did so many different things and everyone was really energized.

We had to do one game where it starts out with "Love is like......fill in an object, place, thing, etc." and then we had to associate the object with "Love is like". This game can get quite interesting and can get very dirty very quickly.
                                Teach can always tell when I am going to say something naughty cause I start turning red before I say it. This time I didn't start laughing, or smiling, I just used a sweet innocent tone and after I said it - and NO, I can't repeat it on-line- everybody was OMG, did she just say that and then they started laughing. My delivery was perfect - so sweet and innocent! What I was said was cute and no bad words were used, it just had a double meaning...*thunk* Think I have had lots of practice with double meanings on this thread!
                                Private message

Comment

Working...
                                X