X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SheppAddictedFangirl View Post

Personally, I think that JF is an ever better actor than DH
    Sorry, but I think David overacts a lot

I thought it got a little TOO dark this season though, tbh. I prefered it the way it used to be, with little lighthearted moments etc. I want to have fun watching a show, not constantly having it drag me down ...

I agree with everything everyone said about how uncalled for and unjustified the GW comment was about needing better actors.
    How convenient that all the problems with SGA were due to the actors, who of course are the only set of people not involved at all with SGU.

Regarding DH's overacting, my personal perference is for a character to be believable and human, rather than OTT comedic. McKay being always an extreme, so that he wasn't just scared, he was goggle-eyed panic-stricken, he wasn't just awkward, he was a social clod, etc. made me not take him seriously as a person and so detracted from any drama he was in. I just couldn't care too much about such a clown.
    JF OTH made Sheppard so real that I couldn't help but care about everything happening to him.
    Which is not say I consider DH a bad actor. Just not an actor whose style I enjoy.

But back to the Shep Whump - for movies to remake with JF, I totally agree with the Die Hard suggestion. JF would be excellent. Blade Runner, also. He would be fantastic in that.
    Or how about some of those old Clint Eastwood westerns, where he hardly speaks. Or as Dirty Harry. (What? I watch a lot of old movies.)

And regarding SGA being a bit dark last season, I did miss Sheppard's boyishness. I think JF is very charming in light hearted scenes, and I'd like to see him in a romantic comedy. Obviously there are the obvious reasons why he'd obviously be good.
    But also I think one fault in a lot of romantic comedies (for me, at least) is that the hero is kind of a flat, generic character. So who is really good at infusing some life and depth into a cardboard character? The big drawback here of course is the total lack of whump. But maybe a nice shirtless scene would placate me.

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
      I really liked Missing and TRW the first time I saw them but I haven't watched them again As for The Shrine, I agree..
      Spoiler:
      I thought it was great first time I watched it, I just switched it off before the last line But now after sooo much McKeller (which I loathe btw ) I can only watch those scenes between Shep and Rodney, I don't care to see the rest at all. Which is a shame because I like Jeanie and I though KH was excellent in that ep

I agree about the Shrine. It has some nice Sheppard moments, so I don't hate it but
      Spoiler:
      I do skip huge portions. I dislike McKeller in general but Keller's behavior towards McKay in this episode really squicked me. I'm not sure if it was the doctor/patient aspect or the macking on guy while he's mentally impaired aspect, or both, but just ugh to the whole thing.

I also don't care much for Grace Under Pressure (too much McKay being too frantic).
      There are two other favorites for most people that I didn't really like.
      Duet, but I'll spare you all and not repeat my anti-buffoon tirade.
      And Tao of Rodney because, again, too much McKay. Although the others were in the story, they seemed to exist only to forgive McKay for being an ass. And he earned their forgiveness through these cheap gestures (a tea ceremony! a really long book!). Oh, and, the one person who actually had no problem with McKay, who liked him as is, well, he gets nothing. Why do something nice for your best friend if there's nothing in it for you? (Sorry, I seem to be in tirade mode today.)
      But, JF's little sad face at the end when they thought McKay was dying was really touching, so the episode is not a total loss.
      Well, neither is Duet. I love Sheppard and Ronon together.
      And even GUP has that little flash of Sheppard's purple (lilac? lavendar?) underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        I also don't care much for Grace Under Pressure (too much McKay being too frantic).
        There are two other favorites for most people that I didn't really like.
        Duet, but I'll spare you all and not repeat my anti-buffoon tirade.
        And Tao of Rodney because, again, too much McKay. Although the others were in the story, they seemed to exist only to forgive McKay for being an ass. And he earned their forgiveness through these cheap gestures (a tea ceremony! a really long book!). Oh, and, the one person who actually had no problem with McKay, who liked him as is, well, he gets nothing. Why do something nice for your best friend if there's nothing in it for you? (Sorry, I seem to be in tirade mode today.)
        But, JF's little sad face at the end when they thought McKay was dying was really touching, so the episode is not a total loss.
        Well, neither is Duet. I love Sheppard and Ronon together.
        And even GUP has that little flash of Sheppard's purple (lilac? lavendar?) underwear.
        I don't mind GUP but its not one I watch much I'm not too fussed with Duet either, it was entertaining first time round and I do like Cadman, but again I'm not bothered about re-watching it very often. I do like ToR, for me they should have done away with all the other 'Rodney is dying and we must save him eps' as this is the best one, it incorporates all the team and has some great character interaction. One of the few episodes that actually shows a relationship between McKay-Ronon and McKay-Teyla.

What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Awwww Sateda on TV atm... just watched the lovely Emo Sheppy Scene on the Daedalus.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
            Awwww Sateda on TV atm... just watched the lovely Emo Sheppy Scene on the Daedalus.
            Great comments and thougths everyone!

I don't like Irresponsible that much owing to the fact that Kolya died in such a pathetic way, and I was tired of Lucius after Irresisitible. However, that latter eppie I do actually like, some bits make me laugh out loud! And Shep with a cold is pretty adorable!

I watched Sateda tonight too on Sky. I actually rewound the scene where Shep says he'd give up his life for his 'family' and watched it twice more. It still gives me a lump in my throat now! Seeing Sheppard so emotionally vulnerable like that, yet never over the top or cheesy. I felt everything he said, and that's totally down to Joe's delivery. See? That's acting, IMO, of course! Joe might be a 'face', but sometimes his face says so much more than all the written and spoken words in the world can say. Again, IMO, of course!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post

I don't like Irresponsible that much owing to the fact that Kolya died in such a pathetic way, and I was tired of Lucius after Irresisitible. However, that latter eppie I do actually like, some bits make me laugh out loud! And Shep with a cold is pretty adorable!

I watched Sateda tonight too on Sky. I actually rewound the scene where Shep says he'd give up his life for his 'family' and watched it twice more. It still gives me a lump in my throat now! Seeing Sheppard so emotionally vulnerable like that, yet never over the top or cheesy. I felt everything he said, and that's totally down to Joe's delivery. See? That's acting, IMO, of course! Joe might be a 'face', but sometimes his face says so much more than all the written and spoken words in the world can say. Again, IMO, of course!

Very true Linzi.....I found JF to be the best actor on the show I identified with him the most...I much prefer subtle actors to overly dramatic ones but overall I thought all the actors on SGA were wonderful.... they all had their own style and some styles appealed to me more than others.
              I am very peeved by the statement about Stargate needing better actors.... I thought the acting was fine in both SG1 and SGA but it was the writing that was lacking. I have no interest whatsoever in SGU ..nothing so far has piqued my interest at all....and I fail to see why the ptb and even GW seem to think that SGU is going to be some magical formula that will save the franchise.

I've also just watched Sateda... wonderful episode and it shows how great SGA could be when the characters were allowed to show some genuine emotion... the scene in the mess hall between Sheppard and Teyla stands out as being one of my all time fav Shep moments..
              sigpic

Comment

Helloooo!!!! whats this about snow then? hee hee we got snow on and off yesterday and it did lay about 2 inches however it started to rain around 8.00pm and the 12 inches we where forecast didn't materialise and it rained instead which cleared the snow it's been glorious sunshine and not a snow flake insight today. Lots of disappointed children hoping for a snow day here

Lots of really good comments re the untactful comment re: SGA and SGU. ITA with all of the comments especially Josie and Linzi. I am really disappointed and feel quite hurt really. I agree SGA wasn't the perfect show there were problems and sometimes I wanted to scream at the TV but I loved the show and it wasn't bad, it wasn't the big mistake they seem to want to label it with and I can't help feeling really defensive towards it. I think the cast where a very good bunch of actors who did a very good job with sometimes some bad stuff and to think that those people might hear comments like that is horrible. It really doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy for the franchise, it just makes me want to dig my heels in deeper and steer clear. I feel quite fed up now

Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post
                Andreas has posted some gorgeous episodic pics from Epiphany, these two immediately stood out as favourites - can't think why...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb55/a_pilgrim_soul/sga_spoilers/th_SGA212-0074.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb55/a_pilgrim_soul/sga_spoilers/th_SGA212-0073.jpg

His face is blurred in the second one but who the hell is looking at his face?
                Guh they are rather nice...... may have to spend some time looking at them

Originally posted by SGAFan View Post
                Thanks!

urk, I'm whumped...

spoiler for OT
                Spoiler:

Got a charley horse in my leg that just won't go away. bah! Dang those things hurt!
                Not to sound really stupid but what on earth is a Charley horse???

I read that comment of JM's too, and felt exactly the same way as you. I felt let down, disappointed and quite honestly raised my eyes heavenward! TPTB HAD a show. A good show which needed more tender loving care from the writers and producers. It needed a better series arc, more consistent writing, better characterisations, a bigger budget, and some gritty stuff for characters other than Rodney to get into. Instead of lavishing the show with that, they tossed it aside to pour all their love and enthusiasm into their new baby - the new show.

All I can say is, if SGU is having all these wonderful actors, all this wonderful script writing and character exchanges, deep character moments, friendship moments, dark moments, on the edge of our seat stuff, which clearly according to some SGA never had... then it will surely soar in the ratings and we'll all be wowed by its awesomeness, right? All in all, SGU will be bigger, better and stronger than SGA. Thus it will not fail or be tossed aside. It'll be loved and adored by all. [/end sarcasm] Oh, is sarcasm allowed on GW now?
                Well said ITA 100%

awwww *sniff* emo whump.....

Yup Joe delivered that perfectly and he has a gift for showing you exactly how the character is feeling just with one look. It sucks that he is talent is unappreciated!

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                Very true Linzi.....I found JF to be the best actor on the show I identified with him the most...I much prefer subtle actors to overly dramatic ones but overall I thought all the actors on SGA were wonderful.... they all had their own style and some styles appealed to me more than others.
                I am very peeved by the statement about Stargate needing better actors.... I thought the acting was fine in both SG1 and SGA but it was the writing that was lacking. I have no interest whatsoever in SGU ..nothing so far has piqued my interest at all....and I fail to see why the ptb and even GW seem to think that SGU is going to be some magical formula that will save the franchise.

I've also just watched Sateda... wonderful episode and it shows how great SGA could be when the characters were allowed to show some genuine emotion... the scene in the mess hall between Sheppard and Teyla stands out as being one of my all time fav Shep moments..

Well said!!

Comment

*Runs in*

In a rush for now, hope everyone's ok and I haven't missed anything too major. Have some Remnants whump!!

Spoiler:

*runs out to do booooring RL stuff*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Listy View Post
                    Not to sound really stupid but what on earth is a Charley horse???
                    Muscle spasm in the thigh.
                    sigpic

Comment

Really? I've heard of them but forgot to actually ask what they were. How interesting. I wonder how they came by their name? I don't think I've ever had one! Hmmmm, imagines Sheppy with a stampede of Charley horses in his thighs!
                      sigpic

Comment

Definitely not fun, especially in the middle of the night! Just poking my head in - our university's internet has been down most of the day - not helpful when you're trying to work online. Since I can't work on my research, I've had to tag for waste disposal all the chemicals my advisor inherited when he moved into his current lab - some of the bottles are older than me, which is scary!

Hope the weather is clearing for all you Londoners - I'm trying not to look at the extended forecasts, especially when the weather here is such a complete opposite.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pilgrim soul View Post
                          That comment was a little uncalled for, it could have been put a lot more tactfully. I know this is David's site and he can pretty much post what he wants but if he's going to play journalist he could at least try be a little less bias.
                          *snippage for space*
                          Ya know, ITA. I've really tried to back off on dissing recently just beause I respected the "new vision statement" on the site, but frankly if those that tote the vision can't even be bothered to follow it themselves, then what's the point?

Taking pock shots at SGA is really petty and immature IMHO.

For any mods or etc reading this, its not a personal attack on you but rather an observation on what you're saying and the perception of your words whether that's your intended meaning or not. I've done lots of site adminning and one thing you have to remember is that you have to be extra careful in how you express yourself and as the site admin, you live and die by how people perceive you. Not telling you how to run your site, thats up to you, it's yours. Just offering some observations from a fan of the "substandard acting" as it were...

ow *gentle hugs*
                          Whump Shep, not self!!
                          yeah... gotta remember that!

Personally, I think that JF is an ever better actor than DH
                          Sorry, but I think David overacts a lot
                          Oh no worries. What I really meant is perception. DH seems to get more attention than JF whether or not either is better than the other. JF's acting is, a lot of times, much more subtle, but is in a lot of cases very powerful. You just have to be observant to see it.

but, that's just my opinion, for what little it's worth

Originally posted by Astraldust View Post
                          Well said Josie. I think it's quite obvious that Atlantis wasn't GW's (naming no names) favourite.
                          To quote JM's blog from yesterday:- Now if this was an SG-1 or Atlantis script, I’d probably already be finished but SGU is a different animal. In this series, character focus will prove as important as the prevailing storyline which means more of those quieter, reflective moments fans seem to cherish.
                          Here's the interesting thing about that and something I've thought about a lot. Yes, we LOVE character moments and cherish those greatly, but you first have to have established characters for it to mean something.

I'll take The Shrine as an example. If that would've been, say, episode... 3 of season 1, it wouldn't have hald HALF the character and fan impact that it did. But becuase it was episode.... 6? 7? of season 5, it had a huge fan impact. Why? Because fans were emotionally vested in the characters enough for it to *mean something* 38 MInutes, while I loved it from teh beginning, meant a lot more to me in terms of the impact on the characters (especially Sheppard and Weir) in later years, because I'd become emotionally vested in those characters.

You can't just take a bunch of strangers, and unknown characters that your viewers have never had a chance to connect with and throw around heaps of "character moments" and expect the viewer to connect on a personal level like many did with Sateda and The Shrine and even Common Ground and so many others.

Season 1 of Atlantis had character moments, yes, but they were different. They were the kind that defined the characters we were just getting to know. Weir confidently walking through the wormhole from the SGC to Atlantis in Rising, establishing her as the strong leader she was, Sheppard point blank shooting Bob in the Siege, showing the lengths he'll go to save the city and the dark ruthlessness that he holds deeply inside, but can let loose when the situation warrants it (THe Eye too, for that matter...) Teyla's actions and reactions in Suspicion defining her character... the list goes on.

My point is, you have to establish the characters *first* before you expect your audience to connect to them on a personal and emotional level. From what JM is saying, they're jumping right to the "character emotional connection with the fans" moments and my opinion is its hard because you haven't created the characters yet, nor seen how the actors will portray them, just jumping over the rest to try to tap into some sort of vein (that probably leads to some sort of coveted demographic) and really are putting the cart before the horse...

err.. *stops rambling...*

ITA!
                          I'm glad you mentioned about the writing. Because I totally agree with your point here. Not once is it suggested in this rather sycophantic interview that the writing/producing needed an reinjection of talent, who can, well, mop the floor with their wonderful, emotive ideas and writing.
                          ITA! I can think of a few that should've gone the way of the dodo...

*Cough*MartinGero*Cough*

There is something to be said for an actor only being as good as the material he/she is given...

All in all, both from the owners of this site and from BW I get the impression that SGA is considered inferior science fiction and that everyone is learning from the mistakes it made. I have to say, that makes me very hurt and angry as a fan of the show. SGA wasn't perfect. Goodness, I complained about it enough. But the acting was generally one of the things which elevated the show from a second rate scifi show to an enjoyable show in which I became thoroughly invested.
                          Ayup. Hence why I'm so vocal at this moment. I usally try to let bygones be bygones, but really...................

Originally posted by Strey View Post
                          Same writers, but we looked beyond that and the crappy story arcs for the chemistry and top-notch acting and the quirkiness of the characters, if not the cast. Generation Y* will most likely do the same. (Except without the benefit of the chemistry, the top-notch acting and the quirkiness of the characters... )
                          Until the next hot young thing comes along. Not that I'm suggesting that TPTB are attempting to cater for those with the attention span of a goldfish, the budget of a teenager and the libido of a rabbit... No, not me...

Spoiler:
                          the 'pants hanging off them, crotch near their knees' brigade, showing off the ol' butt crack, hence ----> the Y...
                          Either that or they're still in diapers.

Did I come across as bitter, by any chance?

There's that coveted demographic again... Ya know what? you can have it. If you think 12 year olds will have the money to support your franchise, you go right ahead. I'll take my estblished career and the little bits of disposable income I have, and go away if that's what you want.

Originally posted by Astraldust View Post
                          We think alike lily. I absolutely hate Trio, and BS comes a close second but I have two other episodes I'm not keen on - Grace Under Pressure and Missing. One has too much McKay and the other way too much Keller. The rest are fine or more than fine. And Strey I love The Tower and Irresponsible too.
                          Heh... despised Trio and BS for that matter (oh look, its Gero run amok! ) GUP and Missing didn't do much for me either, but in the end its all opinion and we all have different ones. Even as a Shep fan, one of my all time favorite eps is Sateda and that was Ronon centric (although it had more good team stuff than you could shake a stick at *bows to Robert Cooper)

anyway... sorry if I sound negative... just irritated..

*sulks back to work*
                          sigpic
                          My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

hey whumpers
                            god i've not been in here in ages! i miss looking at all the whumpy pics all the time

ok i need a bit of help, i'm trying to do a sig but my muse has left me can i get ideas for a caption to go with this pic.....
                            remnants
                            Spoiler:

it can be funny or serious or lyrics just i need some ideas
                            sigpic

Comment

Greetings and salutations dear Whumpers!

Just popping in for a moment as RL is getting crazy today.

Thanks to all who suggested I ask for a new siggy at the Thunk thread. I got 2 shiny new babies! I have to go over there also and thank them. I will be waiting a bit as these are from S-5 and still may be spoilerish, then will post.

PIP was one of the wonderful siggy makers! *waves* Hmmm....let me think of a slogan for your pic above.
                              Spoiler:
                              The first thing that came into mind was....."Oh, boy..........this can't be good". I'll try to do better.

I am off to catch up.

IHS
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pip2 View Post
                                hey whumpers
                                god i've not been in here in ages! i miss looking at all the whumpy pics all the time

ok i need a bit of help, i'm trying to do a sig but my muse has left me can i get ideas for a caption to go with this pic.....
                                remnants
                                Spoiler:

it can be funny or serious or lyrics just i need some ideas
                                Remnants pic
                                Spoiler:
                                Gosh, he looks scared there.

"Something wicked this way comes"
                                sigpic
                                Sig by Luciana
                                My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

Working...
                                X