Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sueKay
    Thankies for the welcome

I started off as a shipper for this show, and while I'm still partial to McWeir and Spanky...I'm beginning to prefer the slashes...this one in particular
    I've never been a shipper personally, and I've been a slasher for years, in other fandoms. I have to say, I don't generally go for the most obvious 'slashes' - however, there is so much well-written McShep slash that it has to be read...

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay
      Heya...thought I'd pop in here and add my voice to pro McShep (don't linch me, but I also like McKay/Beckett )
      Oh I like McKay/Beckett too and McKay/Beckett/Sheppard! My only caveat is they sometimes make Carson too sweet/cute 'unmanly' and way over the top on the Scottish! I like him no nonsense and pushy Lol.
      Originally posted by knocknashee
      I've never been a shipper personally
      Have to say I don't generally read Shipp either, I like the idea of some but not enough to bother reading the fic, I have made exceptions for some when I know the writer but I prefer the dynamics of the guys getting together for me it is just more interesting and yes there are some very well written and developed stories for this paring.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
        Oh I like McKay/Beckett too and McKay/Beckett/Sheppard! My only caveat is they sometimes make Carson too sweet/cute 'unmanly' and way over the top on the Scottish! I like him no nonsense and pushy Lol.
        OMG that annoys me, like, woah - especially since Sheppard / Beckett is the slash I love above all. I cannot stand people who write Carson's accent - they should be lined up and shot. While I have no objections to use of words that are Scottish, like bairn, whatever - people who write like they are ficcing Rab C Nesbitt make me want to pull a P90 out on their arses...

And his character - Some people make him so unmanly at times. Too compliant and just...no! I've especially noticed he often gets to be the mediator in Sheppard / Beckett / McKay OT3 fics - he's always the one holding it together.

Have to say I don't generally read Shipp either, I like the idea of some but not enough to bother reading the fic, I have made exceptions for some when I know the writer but I prefer the dynamics of the guys getting together for me it is just more interesting and yes there are some very well written and developed stories for this paring.
        Het just squicks me to the core. I will only read it if it's a friend who's written it and they are looking for a once over. I won't read any Sheppard / Weir or Sheppard / Teyla, period. I've basically found, of the small section of fics I've read, that Slash is better written and more developed, and the writers seem to keep the characters closer to canon, than Het fic.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
        "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

I once saw someone describe McKay/Sheppard as the pairing that has eaten the fandom. It's an apt description. Just look at Wraithbait's ratio of McShep to, well, everything else.

When the fic is good, it's really good, but when it's bad...oh god. Bad characterization, turning them into teenage girls, taking away the dynamic that makes them worth reading...argh.

Anyway, I said all that to say that McKay/Sheppard is fandom love. It will never happen on the show, but oh how I love the fic.
          Last edited by starfox; 07 April 2006, 05:48 AM.
          They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
          Spoiler:
          Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by starfox
            When the fic is good, it's really good, but when it's bad...oh god. Bad characterization, turning them into teenage girls, taking away the dynamic that makes them worth reading...argh.
            That happens with all fandoms when most writers (especially of the drabble or PWP types are teens) it's the dreaded Mary Sue. Another pet peeve and saying this as someone who never writes fics...enough of the Star Trek watching!

OMG that annoys me, like, woah - especially since Sheppard / Beckett is the slash I love above all. I cannot stand people who write Carson's accent - they should be lined up and shot. While I have no objections to use of words that are Scottish, like bairn, whatever - people who write like they are ficcing Rab C Nesbitt make me want to pull a P90 out on their arses...
            Haha, yes we know he is Scottish, Rodney is rarely written in the Canadian accent and since I am not American I don't feel like Sheppard is ever written with an American accent so why Carson? Why the *STUPID* little Scottish words, no one even in Scotland, would ever use? No they are not romantic in fact sometimes they make me want to heave. Love or luv, is fine that is something he uses often I can even accept Aye, but the rest, no thanks can do without them.

And his character - Some people make him so unmanly at times. Too compliant and just...no! I've especially noticed he often gets to be the mediator in Sheppard / Beckett / McKay OT3 fics - he's always the one holding it together.
            That is what I am talking about! I mean Carson grow a pair already, I am sure the show takes some of the blame as he hasn't been written as well as some of the other characters so there are blanks to fill in but there is no excuse for making him so weak and malleable, that is not even an attractive attribute for a women.

Het just squicks me to the core. I will only read it if it's a friend who's written it and they are looking for a once over. I won't read any Sheppard / Weir or Sheppard / Teyla, period. I've basically found, of the small section of fics I've read, that Slash is better written and more developed, and the writers seem to keep the characters closer to canon, than Het fic.
            Sweeping generalisation, but I think there is a little too much Mary Sue-in' going on especially with the Sheppard related ones. Can't think why?

Comment

McShep is canon Is give very many nice slash-episodes, how Trinity, Brotherhood or Inferno. I love this paairing, the dreamteam of Atlantis.

I like Duet, very funny episode...but really...we need a kiss from McKay and Sheppard. That would be better
              *Vancouver Con Attendee 2006* *Vancouver Con Attendee 2007*
              *Vancouver Con Attendee 2008* *Vancouver Con Attendee 2009*
              *Vancouver Con Attendee 2010* *Vancouver Con Attendee 2011*

* Vancouver Con Attendee 2012 *

Comment

That happens with all fandoms when most writers (especially of the drabble or PWP types are teens) it's the dreaded Mary Sue. Another pet peeve and saying this as someone who never writes fics...enough of the Star Trek watching!
                Crack!fic is what it is. I actually like some of those plotlines...but they are all in the execution though.

Haha, yes we know he is Scottish, Rodney is rarely written in the Canadian accent and since I am not American I don't feel like Sheppard is ever written with an American accent so why Carson? Why the *STUPID* little Scottish words, no one even in Scotland, would ever use? No they are not romantic in fact sometimes they make me want to heave. Love or luv, is fine that is something he uses often I can even accept Aye, but the rest, no thanks can do without them.
                There are some heinous ones that should be removed forever and never see the light of day again. Yeah, we all do the 'love' cos he says that a lot...but the ones where whole sentences are written in something you can barely read - *screams* NO NO NO!

That is what I am talking about! I mean Carson grow a pair already, I am sure the show takes some of the blame as he hasn't been written as well as some of the other characters so there are blanks to fill in but there is no excuse for making him so weak and malleable, that is not even an attractive attribute for a women.
                No, it isn't. And it seems to be something a lot of writers do for Weir as well. Trés annoying. He's not even written as a weak character - I cannot see where people get the idea from, just because he hated going off-world and is a little cowardly at times, does not make him of weak character.

Sweeping generalisation, but I think there is a little too much Mary Sue-in' going on especially with the Sheppard related ones. Can't think why?
                God, I've read some appauling Sheppard Ship fic in the past. Though, I confess my loathing of this comes more from the militancy of the shippers rather than the ship itself...

Comment

"Crack!fic"? I have heard that term but was never game enough to ask what it meant. So what does it mean exactly?

Comment

"Crack!fic"? I have heard that term but was never game enough to ask what it meant. So what does it mean exactly?
                    Crack!fic is basically fiction of such 'out there' plot that it is assumed one would be having to smoke the good stuff to write it...

There is a glossary of common fanfic terms here - http://www.subreality.com/glossary/terms.htm

Comment

Crack!fic is basically fiction of such 'out there' plot that it is assumed one would be having to smoke the good stuff to write it...

There is a glossary of common fanfic terms here - http://www.subreality.com/glossary/terms.htm
                      Oh I just put all that in the one AU basket when it comes to fics based on scifi/fantasy as it is all likely to actually happen on the show. I now see the error of my ways. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by starfox
                        *steps in for fanfic note*

Actually, there's a difference between crak!fic and just plain badfic. With crak!fic, the author is usually aware that the idea is ridiculous and often trying to increase the ridiculousity factor. With badfic, the author honestly thinks that s/he is producing something genuinely good.
                        Yes, I should have mentioned that, though to be honest, I've not seen that much bad!fic in this area of fandom...apart from the occassional ropey sex scene...

Comment

There been a question regarding links *directly* to Adult rated Fanfic.

Darren has stated that you may link to the main site as long as it is PG, and the *OF AGE* member can then click or be directed to the Adult FanFic, but it can not be a direct link to the fic itself as that falls under the *No links to rated R material*....hope that answers the question
                          Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Don't have enough time to write a long post, so here's just a little pic...

Got it from Annie Sheppard, but the lines below came out of my own mind *g*

Shep: *thinking* Oh how I wish I could tell him what I feel for him...
                            McKay: *thinking* Oh how I wish these guys would leave the room so I can tell him what I feel for him...

Comment

Originally posted by Freyja

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...sga207_026.jpg
                              McKay: *thinking* Oh how I wish these guys would leave the room so I can tell him what I feel for him...
                              hehehe......just wanted to see what was your idea......

Comment

Originally posted by Freyja

http://forum.gateworld.net/newreply....eply&p=5131038

Love the pic and the lines!!! /
                                sigpic
                                Sig by the Multi Talented KASS. : )

Comment

Working...
                                X