Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Slash/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gwynevere View Post
    *Waves to everyone* I'm new to the thread and thought I would post something instead of just lurking. I loved "Zelenkamatch.com" too, It was good because it was something different I haven't seen before. I also love the Raising Madison series, the Kid!fic also makes me squee. Has anyone read "farm in Iowa" series, thats really good too.

I never even heard of slash until 6 months ago and now I am totally addicted to the Slash Fanfics.
    Welcome, welcome, Gwynevere :laughs: Yeah slash is a terrible addiction. It gets to you fast but I am slashing nwo for more then two years

OLP (aka old briar pipe LOL) and Arlessiar: I know what you mean I have now reached the newer stories and I don't like them that much either. Maddy really is a ittle Mary Sue. I liked her in the earlier fics more because she was a smart kid but most of all a kid. Now she is on he same level or even above Rodney. I haven't read "A farm on Iowa" yet but I do have the link.

I have no problem at all with manips because I do know how to seperate illusion from reality and a well made manip is simply yummy, hehe

I am not a big fan oy any type of MPreg stories, though there is one in which Rodney dies (I think allergic shock) and the alines feel bad and sort of clone Rodney and John carries him to term. After that he grows up rapidly. The story was okay but on the whole MPreg is one of the few squiks I have. Which reminds me. Do you have any squiks?

Mine are:
    Incest
    Rimming (unless really well written)
    Rape (okay some hurt/comfort fics are good but usually I stay away from them)
    Bloodplay

I am not a big fan of MPreg fics and I hate Songfics as well as Mary and Gary Sues.
    He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
    He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
    And he's wonderful.

Comment

Welcome Gwynevere BTW!

Originally posted by huntress View Post
      Do you have any squiks?

Mine are:
      Incest
      Bloodplay

I am not a big fan of MPreg fics and I hate Songfics as well as Mary and Gary Sues.
      Add Kidfics for me, but can I just say ... Bloodplay?! Sounds gross.
      Not keen on some of the heavy BDSM either, partly because it gets as boring as h*ll after a while but mainly because it doesn't fit with my idea of the characters.
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Which reminds me. Do you have any squiks?
        Mine are:
        Incest
        Bloodplay
        Hmm, I don't read much het and definitely no RPS at all, but when it comes to slash, especially McKay/Sheppard, then I have to admit that I read pretty much everything, I don't have many squiks. There are things I like more than others (love a good whump or BDSM fic, like mpreg, don't like ************ that much), but there isn't a special thing that really freaks me out or something.

Also, ok, I don't like songfics (nothing against quotes at the beginning though), and I also don't like real Mary Sues. I think we define too much as a MS nowadays, not every female OC is also a MS in my book, and there are many well written stories with OCs. I just don't like the real cliché MS.

Bye, A.
        ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
        ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Ooh fandom squicks!

There are exceptions to every squick because sometimes a fic might be so good it draws me in despite something that might squick me.

RPF, I have a hard time reading it, and absolutely can't write it, even as a joke (I tried once, and just... no, I think I made it for two paragraphs).
          Incest.
          Anything that puts the character so far out of the realm of characterization that they are not that character any more. That might sound weird, but what I mean is that I can totally buy BDSM in a fandom like Angel, but have never read an SGA BDSM fic that I really bought into. I don't buy fics where John and Rodney act like fourteen year old girls and weep on each others chest because the other guy hurt their feelings. That squicks me as much as mpreg or incest. I don't read fics where one character is turned into a cardboard villian or Mary-Sue. (John suddenly is an abuser, Rodney is a serial rapist, lol) So bad characterization is a squick. There that's simpler.

I don't have a problem with manips, but personally I don't do fully nude manips unless the actor is already nude in the role. But maniping two actors/characters into kissing or a coupley positions, doesn't bother me.
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean for this to be quite so long!

I have no problem at all with manips because I do know how to seperate illusion from reality and a well made manip is simply yummy, hehe
            I don't see it as not being able to distinguish between character or fantasy and RL I see it as having some respect for the actor. I prefer those types of manips to be respectful (as much as they can be). *by type I mean nekkid ones*

Do you have any squiks?

Mine are:
            Incest
            Bloodplay

Don't like Songfics either usally I don't know the songs!

I like most things or can except most things (even a nice Weir) if it is well written or has something (the x-factor) going for it.

Rimming I have no problems with.

But I am squicked by:

Gender transformations... I want slash not het in my um, Slash fics!
            Bloodplay does zero for me.
            Rape; I don't tend to read for personal reasons. (although I can draw a line between rape and non-con in fics)
            Incest I can only read in the Numb3rs! fandom *sad sick girl that I am*
            Crossovers don't squick me but they tend to bore me.

As for BDSM I think that depends on the writer, my second favourite AU story has that as part of its verse and for me it works so well I couldn't imagine them not being like that. But in some other fics it seems to be a warped kind of punishment devoid of (dare I say) love or respect for the character.

Not a squick as such; but I hate fics where EVERYONE is gay or lesbian or bi and the world is just fine with that! IMHO a fic like that has to be AU and really well written. I will say I prefer fics that do ignore DADT but at the same time don't make it obvious that they are ignoring it (if that makes sense).

Nitpicking:

I also hate fics that use words or phrases I don't think John or Rodney would use (like emphasising the word "so" ) I understand a lot of writers came from the Buffyverse and that is where I think a lot of this comes from; but when you write I think you should at least try to stick to the canon speech patterns for the characters... SGA is not a teen show it is not Buffy and grown men in their age group tend not to say things like....

"You were so asking for that to happen"

I can just about ignore it (even think that maybe they are trying to "gay up" the characters ) but sometimes it stands out like a sore thumb and can ruin a fic for me. I know it sounds petty but some fics are full or that kind of thing.
            Originally posted by psychofilly
            I don't buy fics where John and Rodney act like fourteen year old girls and weep on each others chest because the other guy hurt their feelings.
            Hmm, have to agree. And that feeds into what I was saying above, using actions or terms that the writer as a female and maybe a young female uses is lazy writing. As slash is a fantasy view of a homosexual relationship I do think you can use poetic licence, but there is fantasy and then there is just poor writing.

Having said all that, I do not write, I imagine it is time consuming and often difficult so despite me gripes or squicks I do appreciate the efforts of writers in SGA slash fandom.

EDIT: Just to make this even longer! psychofilly I LOVE your sig!

Comment

I go to work for a day and this board explodes. Yay!

Originally posted by Arlessiar View Post
              It's the same for me with "A farm in Iowa". I adored the first chaps, when the story was mainly about McKay and Sheppard finding each other. There's lots of cuteness in the later chapters, but it doesn't hold my interest anymore. I have nothing against long stories or a series, but there are stories who have a main storyline and when this ends, the story should end too. Again, no offense to the author! It's just my personal opinion.
              "Farm" still works for me, even in the later stories. Perhaps because the difficulties with Finn are very realistic, or because the setting calls to me (I grew up in a rural area, and my grandparents had a big chunk of land that we ran wild on), or because Rodney is just the right amount of cranky. Who knows? But it does.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
              Ooh really. Are you including MPreg as well if that is the way they end up being parents?
              Yes! Mpreg is a go. I already have "Miserty to Man" by Trinity, "A Beautiful Lifetime Event" by Shalott (though that's not technically mpreg), and the "He's Having Her/His Baby!" series by Pru.

That said, like everyone, I do have some squicks:

Bloodplay/Needles/Sharp things
              Rape (as opposed to non-con; thank you for making that distinction, Willow'sCat)
              That stuff that was popular in Lotrips but hasn't followed over into SGA, thank gawd (no, I will not be more specific, *shudder*, except to say it's not bdsm)
              Asphyxiation
              Underage/chan of any sort

So if you're sending me kidfic links, please keep in mind that I will not read anything where the kids are participating in anything even remotely sexual, period. In fact, I will probably hide under the bed.

I am not a big fan oy any type of MPreg stories, though there is one in which Rodney dies (I think allergic shock) and the alines feel bad and sort of clone Rodney and John carries him to term. After that he grows up rapidly. The story was okay but on the whole MPreg is one of the few squiks I have. Which reminds me. Do you have any squiks?
              You're thinking of "Misery to Man" by Trinityofone. She's the kind of writer who gets people to read things they never thought they would like (and wouldn't, if anyone else had written it). She's good like woah.

Originally posted by psychofilly View Post
              I don't buy fics where John and Rodney act like fourteen year old girls and weep on each others chest because the other guy hurt their feelings. That squicks me as much as mpreg or incest. I don't read fics where one character is turned into a cardboard villian or Mary-Sue.
              I'm with you on the whole cardboard villian thing. I know there are slashers who don't like Elizabeth, and sometimes one of them will make her a totally OOC nutcase. Whenever this happens, I just sigh and hit the "back" button.

I don't watch SGA because of one or two characters. I like them all! (almost... )

That said, I do actually enjoy John and Rodney acting like fourteen-year-old girls if the author does it on purpose. I find it hilarious. It's when the author is serious and doesn't realize what she/he is doing that it gets painful. For me, at least.

Mary Sues go without saying, unless, again, they are done with intent to incite humor.

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
              I also hate fics that use words or phrases I don't think John or Rodney would use
              You know, we have three seasons' worth of material to work with. There's really no excuse for not at least trying to get their voices right.

And yes, I write fic, so I feel more comfortable making broad, silly statements like that.

Comment

I am Squicked by:

Rape
                Gender Transformations
                Incest

Kind of Off Topic, I'm a fan of Supernatural but I just can't fathom to read the Wincest(incest) stories.

Other than those three things I'll read any Slash Stories.

Comment

Originally posted by the old briar pipe View Post
                  "Farm" still works for me, even in the later stories. Perhaps because the difficulties with Finn are very realistic, or because the setting calls to me (I grew up in a rural area, and my grandparents had a big chunk of land that we ran wild on), or because Rodney is just the right amount of cranky. Who knows? But it does.
                  Yeah it is still working for me, and although I didn't grow up in a rural setting I spent my summers with my grandparents on their farm it just holds true somehow. I felt at times I could smell the manure LOL! In a good way! Also with only a few exceptions Finn comes across as a kid, a real flesh and blood child. Right down to the
                  Spoiler:
                  jumping in the mud/rain naked because he was told he couldn't get his clothes wet! And talking to a rock like it is his best friend.
                  LOL! That is just what a kid would do! And I agree Rodney is very well expressed in this fic snark and all. I also adore John in this one.

Normally I am not all that found of kid!fics but *and call me strange* the thought of John & Rodney as parents or guardians just seems so sexy, I guess it is like the guy babysitting his nephew/neice or walking his puppy; he seems more attractive somehow. *cliche*

Like John & Rodney become less selfish, and their at times immature interactions are left behind and they are made to stand up and take complete responsibility for another life. I don't know I just love it in fics when it works.

Yes! Mpreg is a go. I already have "Misery to Man" by Trinity, "A Beautiful Lifetime Event" by Shalott (though that's not technically mpreg), and the "He's Having Her/His Baby!" series by Pru.
                  Oh great, although it is a small part of SGA fandom, I have read a few I just love and you mentioned my all time favourite one by Shallot (but as you said not technically MPreg) you know there was a sequel, or more a tag to that by another writer but I can't remember their name, it was just a nice little addition. I am sure I have it bookmarked somewhere.

I read Trintiy's fic, now that kind of squicked me actually but I still finished it! It was that good.

Asphyxiation
                  Underage/chan of any sort
                  Thankfully I have not come across that kind of kid!fic *I did read a fic where it goes into way too much detail about how Rodney was an abused child* I read one Asphyxiation (breath play) fic and that worked for me but I have to say I haven't come across any others in this fandom.

I'm with you on the whole cardboard villian thing. I know there are slashers who don't like Elizabeth, and sometimes one of them will make her a totally OOC nutcase. Whenever this happens, I just sigh and hit the "back" button.
                  Heehee, I don't bother reading many with Weir anymore I really do not see her the way others do, so even if she is written apparently in character I still think she is OOC.

I don't watch SGA because of one or two characters. I like them all! (almost...)
                  Hmm, I guess it has always been the Rodney & John Show for me; I wish it was different (maybe season 4 will be) but the other characters mostly bore me to tears. *too harsh*
                  That said, I do actually enjoy John and Rodney acting like fourteen-year-old girls if the author does it on purpose. I find it hilarious. It's when the author is serious and doesn't realize what she/he is doing that it gets painful. For me, at least.
                  Oh if it is a joke or meant to be humorous that is different, like the ones where John keeps a diary or he doodles love hearts with Rodney's name in them LOL! Of course humour is subjective. I like some of the harlequin fics, they mostly do need to be read as fluff or humorous even if the writer doesn't see it that way!

Comment

Hmm... squicks.

Nothing squicks me, and I can say that with confidence. I can't think of any specific thing that I will not read, as it more depends on whatever story I'm reading than anything else. Sometimes when I'm reading something I'll be like, "woah, that's not right" and get a little freaked out but usually it won't make me stop reading.
                    Characterization is a big thing for me, but that's not really a squick.

Comment

My squicks?

MPreg
                      Gender Swaps
                      Kink
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

The chances for chan are very slim in the SGA- universe. It is more of an issue when it comes to Harry Potter stories. There are quite a few really great stories that are borderline chan (Harry being 15/16) as for example "If You Are Prepared". Tira Nog also wrote for HP one of the best kid!fics I have ever read but there is also one in SGA that I really like though the kid doesn't play such an important story. Anyone here read the wonderful stories of Ernie the Lell and little Temp (trust Rodney to name a little girl "Temporary Insanity" in private...short Temp). MPreg are usually not my cuppa. They don't squik, they are just seldom very good. You all mentioned some stuff that I also don't like and forgot. Genderswitch sucks in so many ways. I want to read slash and not a story in which one of my favourite male characters is turned into a woman. I also have a problem with characters being ooC in speech pattern as well as characterization. I tiny bit of ooC is okay but the characters still have to be mostly in character. In the case of SGA I haven't encountered that many slips in speech pattern as in the case of Harry Potter (I just HATE it when the characters sounds as if they lived in Southern California and not in the UK - too many americanisms kills any good HP story)

@sueKay: How do you define kink because I am pretty sure any slash story that is NC-17 has massive amounts of kink
                        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                        And he's wonderful.

Comment

@sueKay: How do you define kink because I am pretty sure any slash story that is NC-17 has massive amounts of kink
                          Kink for me would include (spoilered to avoid any potential offence)
                          Spoiler:
                          certain kinds of toy, fetish, heavy BDSM, spanking, extreme orgasm denial, asphyxiation, and what I would term nasty dodgy icky stuff.
                          But I expect the definition differs from person to person, and varies depending on the reader's mood not to mention the quality of the writing.
                          sigpic
                          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Squickyness I avoid-

Embarrassment- I hate stories where they are outted in a supposedly humorous way, but it comes out wrong. I read one story where they were being intimate (hey, let's keep it PG) and they were beamed into the control room in front of everyone. I stopped reading that fic right then.

Where everyone is queer- For most estimates, 10-15% of any population is homosexual. But when a story has everyone in same sex relationships, that is just lazy writing. I know it's written to make the boys fit in, but it's kinda lame.

Rape
                            Incest
                            sigpic
                            Sig by im_meli
                            More random Hewlett nerdery on my LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
                              Kink for me would include <snip> But I expect the definition differs from person to person, and varies depending on the reader's mood not to mention the quality of the writing.
                              I think it does, for me, there is kink as an action, like the characters are "doing" kinky things and then there are "my kinks" which are the things in fic that I like to see, or that instantly draw me to a story. BDSM is kinky, first time fic is one of my kinks.

PuddleJumper42: Characterization is a big thing for me, but that's not really a squick.
                              For me it is though, because nothing turns me off a story faster than really OOC fic. Especially fic where a writer glorifies an emotionally weak character or a co-dependant relationship. Making one character emotionally weak and helpless so that the other has to always be the protector disgusts me, and in my mind promotes bad stereotypes. Weak female/protective male (and this even, between two males... I just don't buy it in any of the fandoms I'm active in).

Also, what is chan? Is that pedophillia? I'm goona have to go google, aren't I? Cuz, yeah, that would be a squick too. Though I think others have mentioned Misery to Man by Trin, but that's *supposed* to be squicky and disturbing. Sometimes when an element of horror is thrown in I can push beyond my usual boundaries and read something I otherwise wouldn't because horror is another kink of mine.
                              sigpic

Comment

Chan means underage. Not every chan story involved adults. Stories are also declared chan when two minors engage in sexual activity, hence the chances of being slim for any type of chan in SGA fics.
                                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Working...
                                X