Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
    Of course, if those scenes are gone then we lose the all-important one-time-only scene with Rodney and his cat! That cat has developed such a following on GW that I'm surprised it doesn't have its own appreciation thread.
    OH! Good idea! <runs off to start thread>

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
    McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
    Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
    McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by aaobuttons
      In Rising Rodney and Elizabeth almost seem to have a playful/flirting ship going on and that even extends thru Hide and Seek. But after that, the playfulness seems to get less and less, turning into a more serious angsty/sexual tension sort of vibe. What are the reasons for this do you think? The isolation of Atlantis? The Wraith? Feelings deepening?
      I think Fanwoman's right; there were some more playful banter scenes in Storm, Home, and maybe Eye, but things certainly did take a more serious turn after that. Some possible reasons why...

-The wraith and Genii menaces left little time for humor of any sort. Watch any of the post-Brotherhood eps and you'll see anger, tempers flaring, and exhaustion with about everyone on Atlantis.

-Elizabeth's duty as a leader and Rodney's duty as head scientist took up much more time that they thought, leaving little time or mental energy for banter. Likewise, Rodney spent more time offworld after H&S with Elizabeth back on Atlantis, so there was less opportunity for banter.

-Rodney found another outlet for banter with Shep (not flirty banter mind you, unless you're a slasher...) so he didn't banter as much with Elizabeth.

-Elizabeth may have felt increasingly distant from Simon and their relationship, and maybe she saw bantering/flirting with Rodney as somehow betraying that relationship so she backed off. Likewise, maybe Rodney realized that Elizabeth had someone back home (not canon, but maybe inferred in LFP) so he thought it was proper to back down.

-One or both sensed some undercurrent of deeper feelings and decided to back away (Elizabeth because she has Simon, Rodney because she's his boss, he thinks he's not good enough for her, etc).

-Another non-canon possibility: maybe someone made a snide remark about their banter and noted how leaders shouldn't flirt with their subordinants (Kav's a good choice for that role).

I miss the playful banter between those two; they just seemed to bounce off each other so well. TPTB, please bring more of this back in season 2! Please!

Comment

-Elizabeth may have felt increasingly distant from Simon and their relationship, and maybe she saw bantering/flirting with Rodney as somehow betraying that relationship so she backed off. Likewise, maybe Rodney realized that Elizabeth had someone back home (not canon, but maybe inferred in LFP) so he thought it was proper to back down.

-One or both sensed some undercurrent of deeper feelings and decided to back away (Elizabeth because she has Simon, Rodney because she's his boss, he thinks he's not good enough for her, etc).

-Another non-canon possibility: maybe someone made a snide remark about their banter and noted how leaders shouldn't flirt with their subordinants (Kav's a good choice for that role).

I miss the playful banter between those two; they just seemed to bounce off each other so well. TPTB, please bring more of this back in season 2! Please!
        Ah! I like the way you think!

Yes, please, more banter! We have BSG if we want relentless angst--SG is supposed to be a bit more balanced!
        Don't say "ka" until you've tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by lucylou
          On Torris thread there is a really great pic of Torri and David. I dunno if it's been said on here already but if not you peeps should check it out. David looks so fine and Torri looks hot!
          You mean this one? (edited for spoilers and just because I like cutting everyone out except for Rodney and Elizabeth )

Best pic of Elizabeth yet! Wonder what Rodney's looking at. This pic may need a caption...

Still hoping for some individual shots of Rodney and maybe a Rodney/Elizabeth pic like last year. Casual clothing would be great, but uniforms are fine too (no beige uniform though, blech )

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
          On another topic, I just realized that I haven't gotten my Perfect 10 from Purpleyin yet, which means it's time to do more vidding
          YES PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
            From Elizabeth's point of view, she takes Rodney's determination to heart. He's the sort of person who, once he decides to do something, will not allow anything to get in his way of doing/mastering it. It doesn't matter if someone tells him not to do it, he'll do it anyway. In fact, he'd work just that much harder at it if only for the pleasure of proving that person wrong. Elizabeth is good at what she does, but is nowhere near as driven as Rodney (is anyone?).

Rodney, on the other hand, needs her strength of character and conviction. Elizabeth knows who she is and what she's capable of, and that's what makes her a great leader. She surrounds herself with people who do what she can't and she knows when to let them loose and when to reign them in; she's the conducter to their orchestra. Rodney is wracked with self-doubts, a fragile sense of self-importance, and a desperate need for approval of others.

I think this balancing out is one of the reasons why McWeir is the best possible pairing on Atlantis (in addition to the massive amounts of chemistry between the actors).
            Yes, I totally agree with you on this! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Comment

I also certainly hope that they don't put a cut version of the pilot on DVD!

Trying to remember what was cut the second time around. I think it was Shep and Jack's talk to convince Shep to go, everyone saying goodbye to people on Earth, and Ford's little "hurts like Hell" comment before going through the gate. Were there more?

Of course, if those scenes are gone then we lose the all-important one-time-only scene with Rodney and his cat! That cat has developed such a following on GW that I'm surprised it doesn't have its own appreciation thread.

Yea! you all saved the day (and page 2 oblivion).

The Rising DVD was the full episode. I think those were all the cut scenes Toaster, at least that stuck out blatently.

The commentary was great though. Lots of little tidbits about Shep's character, David's hireing and the McKay addition, also McKay's growth from SG1. Also some discussion about lines and scenes that were taken out, and little bodymovements that have meaning that I never noticed before (a O'neill and a Sumner one in particular) . I don't know if it's all going to be on the Season 1 DVD or not, but it's a great buy for the inbetween. I'm going to listen to that commentary again next week.
              It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Okay, I just found a song that would make an angsty OT3 video, and I'd really like to see it! Anyone up to the challenge? It's Hero off the original Spiderman soundtrack:

Hero
                I am so high, I can hear heaven.
                I am so high, I can hear heaven.
                Oh but heaven, no heaven don't hear me.

And they say that a hero could save us.
                I'm not gonna stand here and wait.
                I'll hold on to the wings of the eagles.
                Watch as we all fly away.

Someone told me love would all save us.
                But how can that be?
                Look what love gave us.
                A world full of killing, and blood-spilling,
                that world never came.

Now that the world isn't ending, it's love that I'm sending to you.
                It isn't the love of a hero,
                that's why I fear it won't do.

And they're watching us (Watching us)
                They're watching us
                As we all fly away.
                They're watching us
                As we all fly away.
                They're watching us
                As they all fly away.

Okay, the italicized part is what made me think of an angsty OT3 with Sheppard. I just think that it's ironic that McKay has saved the city so many times, (probably more times than Sheppard,) and he still doesn't consider himself a hero, he considers himself a coward, and so he might not consider himself good enough for Elizabeth.

Also, here's a random question: I've read some fics where Rodney calls Weir "Elizabeth," "Lizbeth," and "Liz" and I was wondering what everyone's takes are on her nicknames in fanfic? I can't seem to recall her being called anything but Elizabeth on the show, but am I forgetting something?

Comment

I think the spiderman soundtracks are great for Atlantis videos. Especially S2 soundtrack. Vindicated is sooooooo McKay. And Hold On was used for a SG1 vid. a long time ago, but could work for Atlantis. And Gifts and Curses definetly fits with McKay/Weir Ship. Of course, if anyone is interested, there's a song called "Twilight" by Dexter Freebish that was done for SG1 as well but would make a great Atlantis/Puddlejumper General Video.
                  "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                  "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                  Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                  Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                  "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                  Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                  Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                  (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

Thanks for the Rising DVD update aaobuttons, I'm living vicariously through you until the box set is released.

Originally posted by Porthos1013
                    Also, here's a random question: I've read some fics where Rodney calls Weir "Elizabeth," "Lizbeth," and "Liz" and I was wondering what everyone's takes are on her nicknames in fanfic? I can't seem to recall her being called anything but Elizabeth on the show, but am I forgetting something?
                    I'm practically positive he's only called her "Dr. Weir" or "Elizabeth" on the show. Someone (damn, I'm forgetting who, but it was on this thread somewhere) noted how Rodney occasionally talks so fast that when he says "Elizabeth" it sounds mushed into "Lizabeth", which is quite cute.

I've written him calling her "Liz" in my fanfic, but that's only because they're in an established relationship and it seems fitting. "Lizzy" is also a good nickname choice.

I'm not sure if he would ever use those nicknames if they weren't in a relationship, as it may be way too casual. Alcohol or a severe case of flirting banter could help bring it out though.

Comment

Ta-da! It's time for the latest...

McKay/Weir Fanfiction Friday!!

Up to part 15 of “The Solar Flare Saga” by The faerie enchantress. “Those solar flares are interfering with gate travel again...”

“Miscommunication” by Porthos. “A series of miscommunications leads to some confusing developments.”

Up to part 10 of “Bewildered Heart” by LittleKnux. “McKayWeirSheppard. Elizabeth finds the necklace that Rodney made for her and begins to doubt her decisions.”

“Battlefield” by Whistler. “A character study of Elizabeth Weir, as she contemplates John, Rodney, and her responsibilities to Atlantis. (not necessarily shippy, but a good Elizabeth read)”

“Deadline” by Purpleyin. “38 minutes AU, an angsty rewrite.”

“Before the Storm” by Purpleyin. “2 PoV's for The Storm Weir and McKay's thoughts as they walk all too quietly along the corridor...”

Up to part 2 of “48 Hours” by McRaider. “It was supposed to be a simple mission, but with John and Rodney, nothing is ever simple. Sixth story in the Atlantis Generation Chronicles.”

Up to part 33 of “The Puppet Master” by cybersyd42. “The Atlantis crew fear McKay's genius has slipped into insanity. Are their worst fears realised, or is there something sinister at work?”

Up to part 8 of “Ancient Devices” by IsisO'neill-sawyer. “Sg1Atlantis crossover. Jack and John meddle with Ancient technology and end up on another plane of existance. Now its up to the others to save them.”

Up to part 2 of “What Can Be Said?” by JazzyMcWeir. “As Rodney gets up the courage to tell Elizabeth how he really feels, the team is stranded offworld with the Wraith at their backs. Carson sees her distress and wonders at the truth.”

Up to part 11 of “Revenge, Two Sugars, No Milk” by Estellio. “Pay back time, Sheppard style. Sequel to Truth Or Dare.”

Completed “Romantic Fortune” by HyperCaz. “A “psychic Ancient” appears in Atlantis, giving out romantic fortune…”

Completed “Sensitivity” by tielan. “Something strange is going on in Atlantis. And it all begins with a cup of coffee. no pairing, although UST assorted ways.”

“The Chess Game” by Weirfan. “John and Rodney play chess together. (ship if you look for it)”

...and special mention for a great angsty Sam/Rodney story with some Elizabeth/Rodney if you look for it:

“and Jacob Loved Rachel” by meyerlemon. “Carter is entirely real to him.”

Comment

I'm practically positive he's only called her "Dr. Weir" or "Elizabeth" on the show. Someone (damn, I'm forgetting who, but it was on this thread somewhere) noted how Rodney occasionally talks so fast that when he says "Elizabeth" it sounds mushed into "Lizabeth", which is quite cute.
                        That was me, or at least I was one of the people who noticed that You're right, he never purposely says Lizabeth, but he speaks so darn fast and gets so excited that it comes out that way sometimes. I think maybe in Home or Hide and Seek you can hear it, but I'd have to double check to be sure!
                        Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                        :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

As for Elizabeth being done any other way, Rodney may occasionally slur her name into 'lizabeth, but no one uses Liz or Lizzy or anything else. My thinking is that's because she prefers to be called Elizabeth.

Personally, I think anyone who has issues with McWeir being somehow demeaning to the characters should also object to calling her Liz or Lizzy--it's the same thing, really. I know I don't appreciate it when people use certain abbreviations of my name...plus, when they do that, I don't always realize it's me they're talking to.

Oh, and Rodney has also called her just "Weir" before, as opposed to "Dr. Weir." Of course, the one specific time I remember him doing that, he wasn't talking to her but about her, kind of how Elizabeth will sometimes call Rodney "McKay" when talking about him to others but "Rodney" or "Dr. McKay" when talking to him directly.
                          Don't say "ka" until you've tried it.

Comment

Ah, it was you Gate Trippin'! I thought so.

Originally posted by Fanwoman
                            As for Elizabeth being done any other way, Rodney may occasionally slur her name into 'lizabeth, but no one uses Liz or Lizzy or anything else. My thinking is that's because she prefers to be called Elizabeth.

Personally, I think anyone who has issues with McWeir being somehow demeaning to the characters should also object to calling her Liz or Lizzy--it's the same thing, really. I know I don't appreciate it when people use certain abbreviations of my name...plus, when they do that, I don't always realize it's me they're talking to.
                            I agree, she does seem to be the type that doesn't like nicknames. Heck, Simon even called her "Elizabeth" (if he used her name at all...can't remember). For anyone on Atlantis to do so now would seem extremely out of place if not downright rude. Since she's the leader she should be given the respect of using her title (Dr. Weir) or at least her whole first name.

I just can't see her allowing anyone to call her "Liz" or otherwise unless they were extremely close friends or in a relationship, and even then she may balk at the idea. If she did allow a nickname, it would most assuredly be used only in private.

Oh, and Rodney has also called her just "Weir" before, as opposed to "Dr. Weir." Of course, the one specific time I remember him doing that, he wasn't talking to her but about her, kind of how Elizabeth will sometimes call Rodney "McKay" when talking about him to others but "Rodney" or "Dr. McKay" when talking to him directly.
                            He also directly calls her "Weir" in one radio communication in "Hot Zone" (going to be rerun tonight in SciFi).

Comment

He also directly calls her "Weir" in one radio communication in "Hot Zone" (going to be rerun tonight in SciFi).
                              Heard it, saw it, squeed for it.

And now I have it captured forever on my very own DVD recorder!!!!! <does a happy little dance, complete with multiple twirls and a high kick number that would put the Rockettes to shame!> Um, I'm a little excited...

Comment

Missed that little part in hotzone, must watch it again. I like the way they call each other by their first names but.

Great pic up there toaster, very cool!
                                Support SHEX, wear a shirt ... I did!

Comment

Working...
                                X