Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all,

Thanks for the lovely welcome! I followed a link from ToasterOn Fire (thanks!) and read my first McWeir fanfic last night. They were a couple stories by Fanwoman and they were fantastic. She has the characters' mannerisms down to a T, especially rodneys!!! Can't wait to read more.

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
    I heartily agree! Bye bye snow, hello grass and flowers! We shouldn't be reading fanfic, we should be out absorbing our vitamin D!
    I totally agree! I printed out some McWeir stories and plan to take them outside with my on my lunch hour tomorrow to read in the sunshine. Mckay and a beautiful day, what else could a girl ask for?

I need opinions! I am having this discussion with a friend over the ep "Letters from Pegasus". She says that in a life or death situation like that, Rodney and Weir should not have sent their messages to Simon & Sam. Instead they should have admitted their feelings for one another. I say that it is way too early for that (plenty of UST still to come ) and that the characters don't even really realize their feelings for one another yet! Plus, TPTB didn't write them as a love interest couple (lets hope that changes season2) so there is no way that would have happened. Sometimes the fans are smarter than the writers!!! What do you think?
    Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
    :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
      Hey all,
      I need opinions! I am having this discussion with a friend over the ep "Letters from Pegasus". She says that in a life or death situation like that, Rodney and Weir should not have sent their messages to Simon & Sam. Instead they should have admitted their feelings for one another. I say that it is way too early for that (plenty of UST still to come ) and that the characters don't even really realize their feelings for one another yet! Plus, TPTB didn't write them as a love interest couple (lets hope that changes season2) so there is no way that would have happened. Sometimes the fans are smarter than the writers!!! What do you think?
      Nah. Way too early for stuff like that on show, even if they were going for them as a couple and I really wouldn't want to see it like that...

Oh and you might want to spoiler tag stuff about LFP - there are still fans in other countries who won't have seen that. how to is in the FAQ (and I have instructions in my sig); just edit the tags into your post around all the spoilery LFP stuff.

Spoiler:

I thought there was a scene where Weir probably knew something was up, or that he cared for some reason/had an interest, but neither would admit anything and it's best that way. I'm not entirely sure if they would both know their own feelings, possible but you see, all of that is what's fic is for.
      Besides that her message to Simon was necessary.

I'm not sure if the fans are smarter, seems a bit insulting to the writers to say that possibly, but yes there are fans who are smart and really think about everything in detail - and form that create a very indepth interpretation. That's why there are forums like this, fans can't resist discussion - everyone wants to figure stuff out and share stuff they know of. Is a very good thing and complimentary to the show.

Comment

Well, I've finally found my way here to GateWorld, everyone tremble in fear of the insanity that is MurdocsAngel, whom everyone calls M.A.

Right, now that the niceties are out of the way, I'll behave myself.

I think that's why fanfiction and these forums exist, certainly, so that we fans may discuss what we think about the show and about existing dynamics that could possibly lead to something more, even if the writers of the show don't take them that way.
        I don't need no stinkin' sig...and yet I made one anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
          Hey all,

Yeah, I think that would be a tad too much too fast. And I don't really think that TPTB have written any pairing as a love interest couple yet. All of the ships on Atlantis so far have consisted mainly of looks and scenes that can be interpreted as either shippy by shippers or as nothing/friendship by non-shippers. The question now is whether it's going to stay that way in season 2 and beyond or whether TPTB starts leaning toward one or more ships over others. I think it's going to be the latter, although I doubt it's going to happen as early as season 2. The next question is which ship(s) is it going to be? I'm not even sure that TPTB knows the answer to that one...

However, I cannot imagine that TPTB have not sat down and discussed ships on the show, whether short term or long term. I just don't know if they talk about it in a "we should try this because the characters get along/important for the plot/etc (internal influences only)" or a "we should try this because it has a lot of fan support (external influences)" sort of manner, or if it's a mix.

Still, it's certainly possible that there are some conscious/subconscious feelings between Rodney and Elizabeth in season one. After all, they presumably had time to develop a friendship while they worked together on Antarctica. That backstory certainly makes it easier to interpret all those little looks, etc. as potentially something more. I'd certainly like to see more of that next season...

As far as admitting feelings...(Eye and Hot Zone spoilers):
          Spoiler:
          Rodney did want to say something important to Elizabeth when they were trying to get the generator repaired ("If this doesn't work...") What do you think that was? Later in Hot Zone when he thought he was going to die he told everyone his "death story", ideas for running Atlantis, mentioned his sis. However, I don't think that's what he was going to tell Elizabeth. Why go to all that trouble if he thought the Genii were going to kill her as well? It's certainly possible that the writers had something else in mind, but all us shippers certainly took that scene and ran with it.

Slightly OT, many fans are saying that Sheppard/Teyla was the "TPTB-approved couple" at the beginning of season one. How did they come to that conclusion? Was it hints taken from Rising, etc or did TPTB/the actors actually say that in an interview?

Comment

Originally posted by MurdocsAngel
            Well, I've finally found my way here to GateWorld, everyone tremble in fear of the insanity that is MurdocsAngel, whom everyone calls M.A.

I think that's why fanfiction and these forums exist, certainly, so that we fans may discuss what we think about the show and about existing dynamics that could possibly lead to something more, even if the writers of the show don't take them that way.
            *jumps up and down excitedly*
            Ooo, oh , look everyone MA is here!
            {hugs}

This should be fun and looking forward to seing what you have to say on stuff round here, MA.

And now let me say to everyone else, be afraid... very...very afraid.
            If you thought it was sometimes crazy on GW with shippers...*cowers slightly*
            And I feel compelled to link to MA's stories - go read them
            Maybe you guys can poke and review her into updating.
            Oh and MA, how about showing off some of your Mcweir graphics round here?

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
              *jumps up and down excitedly*
              Ooo, oh , look everyone MA is here!
              {hugs}

This should be fun and looking forward to seing what you have to say on stuff round here, MA.

And now let me say to everyone else, be afraid... very...very afraid.
              If you thought it was sometimes crazy on GW with shippers...*cowers slightly*
              And I feel compelled to link to MA's stories - go read them
              Maybe you guys can poke and review her into updating.
              Oh and MA, how about showing off some of your Mcweir graphics round here?
              Hehe, *hugs back*

Am I really that terrifying? I mean, besides calling Radek Squishy and all...and posting weird insane stories...and...yeah, I guess I am..huh.

And, since you asked so nicely, here's a few of my graphics that I can find...

Icon^

Banner or sig^

Anothe icon^

Hope you like

Comment

Hope you like

Like?! No, no, no love more like these are great especially the banner, damn all you great banner makers.

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

Yay! Glad you finally made it MA! I think a pic is in order:

"I took the liberty of inviting MA to the shipper thread."
                  "You're a dead man, McKay."

...there's a behavior requirement on this thread?

Comment

I'm pretty surprised to hear some McKay/Weir fans were upset by BIS, thinking it to show off alot more Sheppard/Weir. I know different people see different elements but I was a tad confused to find M/W shippers not seeing the M/W themselves. Personally I usually see Sheppard/Weir friendship or two leaders worknig together rather than anything more.
                    But then I always did have some ideas on that particular part people tend to think S/W.
                    Spoiler:
                    The birthday gift was given by John but I'm sure finding out of the date involves Rodney somehow (or atleast the angst could be milked out of the event *smirk*) and that maybe he had something planned for later that never happened because of Old Weir's arrival, or could have happened after the end of the episode. After all John's gift was a plot point - with the ashes ending up in it - starts and ends with the pot. However, that doesn't mean Rodney didn't also give/plan to give/do something for her.
                    That's where missing scenes come in. I've written 4 tags for it so far, in what turned into a series and yet I've still got at least 4 more BIs tags planned!

You're pulling my leg, right? Haven't you read MurdocsAngel's fics? Or Fanwomans? Or littknux's. All brilliant McKay/Weir writers than I'm more than a litte envious at times, but then we all have a different style don't we. On Sheyla fics, I think there are quite a few with both - there seems to be a tendancy for them to be paired but often with McKay/Weir at the forefront.I tried reading a few Teyla/John fics but with the except of a handful of entertaining/intereting ones I didn't care for it much.

I have a confession, when it cmes to FF.net well...I tend to read more CSI fics...or slash....and the only other site I visit which allows het/slash is WB...

BIS- I saw more friendship with John and Elizabeth. I agree
                    Spoiler:
                    about Rodney being the one to have told John about Elizabeth's bithday. Or at least give John some sort of hint.

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

I have a treat for you all.
                      A certain McWeir fan who wishes to remain anonymous has given me premission to post this.

Follow the link, though I think the title says all
                      naughtyMcWeirfan

Comment

Well it is a family forum, can't be too shipcrazy can we now? (or can we... )

Comment

Yay! Glad you finally made it MA! I think a pic is in order:

"I took the liberty of inviting MA to the shipper thread."
                          "You're a dead man, McKay."

My reputation's preceeded me? *meeps and hides*

LOVE the pic...and the caption

And I do try to behave, honestly I do. However, the internet has this way of making me do and say things I would never in person. Or in an e-mail. Which some helpful friends of mine, who shall remain unnamed, decided to take advantage of and do it for me.

Comment

I have a treat for you all.
                            A certain McWeir fan who wishes to remain anonymous has given me premission to post this.

Follow the link, though I think the title says all
                            naughtyMcWeirfan

Awww pooooor Shep!!!

Although, as a dedicated McWeir shipper, I can't say I'm too upset at this

Very cute

Comment

Yes that's right, it's challenge time. Other challenges still open but wanted to get a new short one going.

The theme is "Sorry" - the word must feature in the fic and it can otherwise be what you want as long as it has them both in. Multiship, death, angst, AU - whatever you want is fine (just warn us first) and ficlet are wonderful ways to get into writing fic for new writers and also great ways to play in ideas you'd never do a full length fic on.

Limit is 500 words. Let's see what you folks can do with that.

Comment

Hmm...a small part of me wanted that pic to be more...naughty...

Yes that's right, it's challenge time. Other challenges still open but wanted to get a new short one going.

The theme is "Sorry" - the word must feature in the fic and it can otherwise be what you want as long as it has them both in. Multiship, death, angst, AU - whatever you want is fine (just warn us first) and ficlet are wonderful ways to get into writing fic for new writers and also great ways to play in ideas you'd never do a full length fic on.

Limit is 500 words. Let's see what you folks can do with that.
                                Okay, I think I can do this one, it's just 5 times as much as I wrote before, hee. Now I wonder if I can incorporate Rodney's "Window of Opportunity" into 500 words...nah that's too good for only 500

Oh, and super soldier, yeah! AND I'm officially Hans's first prime of the McKay/Weir ship thread, at least judging by post count. Mwahaha!

Comment

Working...
                                X