No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/Elizabeth Weir Discussion/Ship/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something about AUs that I was just thinking about, the other day I was reading this fic and it was an interesting AU where shep was a spy, Liz was the richest woman in the Galaxy, Mckay a Mad Scientist that's in love with her, Zelanka a scinetist working against MCkay, there were lots of things in this fic, it was really interesting, check it out for youself:

Pegasus Spy by Charlania, same writer who wrote Protection, the fic that got me to ship mckay/weir cuz it made a lot of sense with their rellationship.
    McKay: I'm invulnerable!
    Weir: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?
    McKay: In-vul-ner-able.

McKAY: I'm not crazy -- I just have another consciousness in my brain.

First icon made by Cathain Nottingham and last 4 made by ToasterOnFire
    My LJ My Fanfic My Homeschooling Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
      I also wondered if a WWII setting would be cool, Elizabeth being in the (French?) resistance and Rodney being rather unconcerned with the war apart from how it affects him and his scientific work - until he somehow gets dragged into it all. And it might be cliche but you could have Kolya as a Nazi, no one else would fit the role better even if I do dislike the comparision of Genii to them. It'd be cool to have Kavanagh as local bar keeper, not on either side - but not villified either, useful in so far as you can manipulate/appeal to his own interests. Just don't know if this setting would be uncomfortable for some people, but I rather like the idea. Like Hello Hello, if anyone knows what I mean, but less comical.
      That seems rather appealing and it seems to me you pretty much got this written, lol. And this might seem a little out there, but it almost seems to touch on Casablanca (they're known as classics for a reason people ^_^) territory, which could itself set up or inspire another entirely different AU perhaps? Anyone?
      For a copy of "Have A Little Faith in Me", My Kate Heightmeyer Appreciation Vid Click Here

McWeir Central by PurpleYin (who deserves much appreciation for it) | aka: the reason why the McKay/Weir Thread on GW is Quiet

Comment

Do you think it'd be wise to set up separate AU groups or just make one Mckayweir_AU group and then have rules set up for each 'verse.
        I like the ease of having one AU group with different 'verses, with each verse having a library, helpful research links for the time period/specific 'verse overview and explanation in the sidebar or somewhere on the first page. That way people wouldn't have to jump back and forth from comm to comm. There could even be a section for general AU's that didn't fit specifically into an established 'verse.

Not sure if it can be accomplished from an aesthetic point of view with a free account though. I don't know much about free lj layouts. We could also have a few mods with each one primarily responsible for a seperate 'verse.

Also, the graphics on the main page would have to be a mesh of all of the ideas and universes, right? Then graphics could be tailored to the particular universe on the corresponding pages. I'm sure Toaster will create something amazing

I really like the idea of a revolutionary Elizabeth, with her trying to be independant and help the women's movement. It just fits as something I can see her doing. Also, we would need to fit other characters into this. Yes, even Shep... shipping M/W doesn't mean we should ignore him in the AU, and certainly would be great to have Zelenka, Grodin, Teyla etc fit in. Maybe even Sam?

I also wondered if a WWII setting would be cool, Elizabeth being in the (French?) resistance and Rodney being rather unconcerned with the war apart from how it affects him and his scientific work - until he somehow gets dragged into it all.
        Ha! Imagine if McKay was working on the Manhattan Project? He IS quite adept at building nuclear weapons Seriously, I like both of these ideas and would be willing to try my hand at writing a fic for either. And helping out with the community in any way needed.

There are so many good ideas for AU's we've already come up with, but as to the one comm vs. multiple, what do the rest of you think?
        Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
        :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

I'm leaning toward one community with multiple AUs unless one particular AU is so popular that it is deserving of its own community. Is there a way to think up all possible McKay/Weir AUs and then see who likes them and would write fics for that AU? That way we could start out with the most popular AU or AUs and go from there. It doesn't make much sense to have an AU where there are few to any contributions.

I'd love to make a header too, maybe by taking old photos of the civil war or WWII and attaching Rodney and Elizabeth's heads. I just might do that anyway, regardless of whether an actual community develops.

Comment

Ohhhh! You guys are doing AU's too??? OMG, that's great! I love AU's, and whenever you guys get this up and running, you can count me as a reader!

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
            I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
            Spoiler:
            Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

I certainly think having a place for all of them would be great. I'm happy to help organise with others, but we'd really need someone to make graphics along with some one who can do layouts.

I have a paid account, do communities made by people with paid accounts get the extra features?

Anyway, I can start the community is everyone likes and if possible post a poll of ideas once we have many and then people could vote and comment on them. I'd say 3 AU's would be about right to sort out first and any more would have to depend on enough people willing to write, make graphics, sort details, get research links etc.

So, possibilities so far
              -19th Century (newspaper setting one?)
              -WWII
              -American Civil War
              -60's? (might need a more specific setting)

And I just had an interesting one... really bizarre on one count. I've read about an AU where Shep is a geek and Rodney is a soldier - what if we had that and also Teyla was the expedition leader and Weir the Athosian leader? A role reversal one. Ronon could be from Earth and Ford from Settera, Zelenka hated and Kavanagh the resident geek putting up with Shep. Man that could be an odd AU. Maybe it'd be better as a gen one though...

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                Ooh, 50s Grease! Fast cars, slicked back hair, malt shops, necking in the back of cars! Lots of potential there!

OOH! The revolutionary war with Rodney and Elizabeth on opposite sides! Excellent! The same idea could be used for the civil war too - Rodney's in the north and Elizabeth is in the south (I can so picture her as a southern belle) and they meet because they're working with the underground railroad or something...
                Hee hee...Liz "patronizing" Rodney...hello gutter!

DINNER FIC! Or a dinner fic on someone's birthday.
                Lol, ok I'll got with the dinner/birthday fic--hopefully it will be good. I was somewhat inspired by "Duet" and distantly, "Before I Sleep". It's not going to be very long--I'm trying to squeeze it in between exams and term papers lol.

50's sounds quite interesting, as did the WWII example for AU. If you want to link them all together...you might be able to construct a time-travelish set up AU. That way we could use all those different periods, but I'm leaning towards using one, or having a community for multipe 'verses.

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
                  Lol, ok I'll got with the dinner/birthday fic--hopefully it will be good. I was somewhat inspired by "Duet" and distantly, "Before I Sleep". It's not going to be very long--I'm trying to squeeze it in between exams and term papers lol.

50's sounds quite interesting, as did the WWII example for AU. If you want to link them all together...you might be able to construct a time-travelish set up AU. That way we could use all those different periods, but I'm leaning towards using one, or having a community for multipe 'verses.

Royal
                  Whatever you go with should be fine, it'd be interesting to read a mcweir fic from someone that doesn't fully ship for them, like I'm still working on my shweir fic, hope it comes out okay.

Yep, I thought it would, and Grease was just an awesome movie.
                  Weir: Aren't you the one who's always spouting off about how proper and careful scientific procedure must be adhered to?

Comment

Just had a great idea, saw someone on the Weir thread mentioning the Daedalus as the 'Deddy' like a boat and it made me think what if they lived on a colony? Could be a cool AU. Tough historically, if there were slave issues, but I bet if anyone would be trying to tackle such issues it'd be Elizabeth.

EDIT: I set up an AU community for SG, not specifically a M/W one, but it's open to any pairings - you just need to get over the weirdness of it first, I do believe it is the craziest idea I've had, but I'd love it if anyone could help out with stuff. Just the opposite of what you were expecting Stargate Reverse
                    Last edited by Purpleyin; 24 October 2005, 09:55 AM.

Comment

New spoilers and speculation from Joe and the Kiwi convention (spoilers for lots of later eps!):
                      Spoiler:
                      Joe stated that TLG is going to be about fighting aliens that use Shep and Elizabeth as pawns. Guess that means that Elizabeth is going to smack him around against her will and that Shep may also be going after her. Sounds potentially interesting, as long as there isn't any alien forced shippiness or any "OMG! I hurt you! OMG! I hurt YOU!" stuff at the end. And I wonder how Rodney may factor into this.

Over at the con, Torri apparently talked about how here character was moving into darker emotional territory later this season. No specifics given, but she could be talking about her attitude in Michael, her possible capture in Tower, problems with the Genii in Coup, her behavior in TLG, or a bigger problem with her job and maybe Caldwell that hasn't been specified yet. Poor gal's been having a hard time with things and it sounds like it's only going to get harder. Here's to hoping that Rodney picks up on her stress (he did that quite easily in Rising) and makes an effort to be there for her.

Comment

OMG Purple! I love your sig!!!
                        It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I scare myself sometimes...

Comment

I scare myself sometimes...

LOL! That's interesting.

Comment

That rocks! I have done some Civil War re-enacting in the past (History major/buff--I have an excuse! lol) and that is just spot on!

I think we should have an AU puc making contest; which ever pic looks the best will desigante the time period. It's going to be hard to top Rodney in that handlebar though!

Btw, Purple your sig is great! very interesting.
                              Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
                                That rocks! I have done some Civil War re-enacting in the past (History major/buff--I have an excuse! lol) and that is just spot on!

I think we should have an AU puc making contest; which ever pic looks the best will desigante the time period. It's going to be hard to top Rodney in that handlebar though!
                                Ha! That was my first attempt at a swapping heads pic. The actual guy had that hairstyle and mustache so I just added it to Rodney. He looks...interesting. I was trying to get an authentic hairstyle on Elizabeth too but it just wasn't working out. I doubt women wore that much eyeliner during that era either...

I'm all for doing another for a different era! The civil war one just came to mind right away and I found that great pic to use.

Btw, Purple your sig is great! very interesting.
                                Yeah, I've been thinking about that AU. Are the characters going to keep their original attributes or have new ones? For example, is Rodney going to still be an arrogant, snarky guy or is he going to take on Shep's traits like his quick decision making and past problems with authority? It sounds interesting - how much of a person's characteristics are because of them vs. because of what they do for a living?

Along the same lines, if there is a romance between AU Rodney and Elizabeth does that mean it sort of translates to RL Shep/Teyla? AU Shep/Teyla = RL Rodney/Elizabeth? AU Rodney/Teyla = RL Shep/Weir? Should be quite confusing...

Ooh...does Elizabeth fight with sticks? Cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X