Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Who wants to watch a show full of perfectly gorgeous, perfectly heroic, perfectly perfect superhuman superheroes who always do the right thing, always say the right thing and are always absolutely perfectly right about everything? Bo-ring!
    Why does that remind me of Clark Kent and Smallville?

Well, I love Rodney and I think David Hewlett's a fantastic actor. The great thing about Rodney's character is that he has excellent chemistry with everyone. You can put him in a scene with any of the other characters and he'll make it sparkle.

Yes, Rodney's flawed, but it's those flaws that make him human - not to mention really funny. He's a fully-rounded character and that's quite rare, especially for a first season of a show. I can't wait to see what happens to him next.

BTW, I just got hold of "Nothing" on DVD. Can't wait to watch - it looks fabulous!
    "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

You could put McKay/Hewlett in a scene with a rock and they'd still have great chemistry. McKay is just that kind of character and Hewlett is just that kind of actor. All the more reason to love them.

Comment

Originally posted by DJFavorite
        Ok I cheated and grab a pic from the GW site. But you have to have something to start the thunking with.

Oh yes! I had a small thunk moment at this in Home the other night... and that little thumbnail attachment is really cute. He suits a wee bit of facial hair

Comment

However, if there was a storyline where something happened that completely devastated him and left him a broken shell of himself... it might be interesting to watch his recovery as he moves from being strangely meek and self-effacing back to his former condescending self. That might be more suited to fics than the show, though.
          I'm actually working on a fic that's just like that, hasn't got a title yet though.

Comment

Hey all, sorry I havn't read any of the stuff people have said, but I have to say i ADORE MCKAY SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! I love how he's arrogant, and proud of it. I completely adore all the banter that happens between mainly him and Sheppard, SOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!! I love his quirkyness and how he always is like "trust me, this is all for my self-interest! I think that McKay and Weir should SOOOOOOOO GET TOGETHER@ but then again i also think Weir/Sheppard, Teyla/Sheppard, Telya/Ford, Carson/Either female.. and more, so basically everyone..

But McKay!!!
            Spoiler:
            I thought the thing in Before I sleep with him sacrificing himself for everyone was actually very...profound, for his character, especially seeing as he didn't even realyl knwo anyone yet. That jumped up my respect for him a LOT
            The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
            |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
              But make no mistake, they are indeed changing him. Just compare Mckay from "Rising" to McKay in the summer finale's "Storm". He's already changed a lot.
              They aren't changing him as much as the are developing him. He's still the same old snarky McKay, just not an annoying, cowardly, snarky McKay.
              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                He wouldn't be the character that we know without those things, but I don't think they'll get rid of that completely any more then Teal'c's silent strength (just a sketchy comparison)

But make no mistake, they are indeed changing him. Just compare Mckay from "Rising" to McKay in the summer finale's "Storm". He's already changed a lot.
                Whether they're "changing" or "developing" our Rodney , it is nice to see him as a likeable, dimensional character. He reminds me of a fellow I work with... very bright, seemingly arrogant (not too backwards in blowing their own trumpet) but underneath all that, the heart is in the right place. When push comes to shove, you know that they will be there for you.

The writing of this character has been pretty good as well... credit to the writers for giving him so much scope to grow and "develop". I'm really enjoying the many aspects of Rodney McKay.

Spoiler:
                I think it was pretty sweet that when Commander Kolya was waving around the menacing pistol, Rodney stuck up for Weir even though it was clear in his eyes and voice that he was terrified for his own life.

David Hewlett is a great actor... apart from that sparkling bantering he has with Joe Flannigan, I just love it when he prattles off some scientific gobbledegook or just pontificating about things in general, he makes it sound like he really knows what he's talking about.

Shadow... I love his cameo in Cypher... the only non-Stargate thing I've seen him in.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Cypher is an awesome movie. And once again, David plays an oddball character in it. I wish his part had been bigger, but even what was there was fun (of course).

Comment

I think it's actually quite funny how in real life he is in fact a computer geek who is an entrepeneur of his own computer company and everything....

and i LOVE the oddball characters. without them, it would just be "ooh, he's going to die, thsi and that bla bla bla" all dramatics and such.
                    The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                    |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I think it's funny David became an actor because of Doctor Who and has been in quite a few scifi movies but had managed not to attend a single scifi convention before Atlantis. Oh, wait, from his imdb bio, I guess the guy was too busy working. Bah!

For those of you new here and not wanting to spend hours reading the thread with the most replies on the Atlantis board (as DANIquinn has just done!), here's my original post about how Dr. McKay has grown and changed from his first appearance on SG1.

I haven't seen the new episodes yet (damn, is it Jan 21 yet?) so I'm sure there are more examples to cite.

ShadowMaat, quit making me jealous of not having a dvd player that can read more than just Region 1 dvds. And when is season 2 of Traders supposed to come out? <whine!>

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by watcher652
                        For those of you new here and not wanting to spend hours reading the thread with the most replies on the Atlantis board (as DANIquinn has just done!), here's my original post about how Dr. McKay has grown and changed from his first appearance on SG1.
                        What can I say? McKay is so worth the time spent.

And that's my two cents...
                        My LiveJournal
                        ^_^ ~ DANIquinn ~ ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                          I think it's actually quite funny how in real life he is in fact a computer geek who is an entrepeneur of his own computer company and everything....
                          Then he probably does know what he is talking about...
                          Another Dr Who fan, eh? That explains everything...
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Cypher is an awesome movie. And once again, David plays an oddball character in it. I wish his part had been bigger, but even what was there was fun (of course).
                            I spent that whole movie going "Where's David then?" It kind of distracted me from the plot a little, so I was glad when he showed up. And I agree - I wish he'd had a bigger role in the film.

Checked out my DVD of "Nothing" late last night. It has a commentary (though sadly David's not on that) and a featurette. Watched some of the featurette - it has clips in it from the early movies David made with Vincenzo Natali. He looks so young (and cute)! It was worth buying the DVD for that alone. And I haven't even had time to watch the movie yet!
                            "Never give up! Never surrender!" - Galaxy Quest

Comment

Originally posted by CultTVGirl
                              Checked out my DVD of "Nothing" late last night. It has a commentary (though sadly David's not on that) and a featurette. Watched some of the featurette - it has clips in it from the early movies David made with Vincenzo Natali. He looks so young (and cute)! It was worth buying the DVD for that alone. And I haven't even had time to watch the movie yet!
                              Auugh! I am soooo jealous! Hmmph, maybe I should just go buy the damn dvd in whatever region format it's in and then find a regionless dvd player. Wait, ShadowMaat, didn't you once say that computer dvd players don't have the region encoding? I'm so technologically backward, I'm sure Mckay would just ignore me completely...

My kind of guy:
                              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                                Originally posted by Easter Lily
                                Then he probably does know what he is talking about...
                                Another Dr Who fan, eh? That explains everything...
                                Yes, David does know what he's talking about, both computers and technobabble. Check out David's bio on SciFi.com.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X