Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purpleyin
    Anyway, I was browsing some scifi magazine in WHSmith's today when I had time to kill before meeting a friend and read something interesting in an Atlantis interview with Martin Wood. S2 spoilers that should get some good discussion going.
    Spoiler:
    he refered to "Trinity" where Mckay's overconfidence backfires - he has to save the day and doesn't manage to!
    Interesting.
    Spoiler:
    I've always thought that a lot of Rodney's arrogance and reluctance to rely on others stems from a concern that he has to be right all the time. If he wasn't, he might think either something really bad would happen or people would stop believing in him.
    Having a scenario where he doesn't have the answer or someone else's answer is correct instead of his would certainly challenge that belief. Perhaps having him fail and then realize that life still goes on and that people still respect and trust him would help knock down that emotional barrier. Should be a good ep!

Comment

Anyway, I was browsing some scifi magazine in WHSmith's today when I had time to kill before meeting a friend and read something interesting in an Atlantis interview with Martin Wood. S2 spoilers that should get some good discussion going.
      Spoiler:
      he refered to "Trinity" where Mckay's overconfidence backfires - he has to save the day and doesn't manage to!
      Well, this is really interesting, but if you think about it, this has kind of already happened, in Seige Pt 2
      Spoiler:
      when Rodney couldn't come up with a solution in time to "save" John. Although I guess that's not so much being wrong and not having enough time to be right...or something.
      In any case, I'm now very excited to see Trinity, but I just hope they come up with some sort of long term consequences, because TPTB haven't exactly proven they can handle long term character arcs very well yet...

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
      McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
      Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
      McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
        Well, this is really interesting, but if you think about it, this has kind of already happened, in Seige Pt 2
        Spoiler:
        when Rodney couldn't come up with a solution in time to "save" John. Although I guess that's not so much being wrong and not having enough time to be right...or something.
        In any case, I'm now very excited to see Trinity, but I just hope they come up with some sort of long term consequences, because TPTB haven't exactly proven they can handle long term character arcs very well yet...
        Hopefully, there's a first time for everything.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
          Spoiler:

Well this is what Martin said
          Spoiler:
          This story is a great character piece for both Sheppard and McKay. Their relationship is challenged in a big way and both actors had to wrestle with the change in their characters because of it. It's a change that I think is wing-spreading for both Sheppard and McKay, and Joe and David Hewlett really rose to the challenge.

It sounds pretty long term to me, im sure they had long term consequences in mind when they shot this episode. I wonder how this will change the McKay and Sheppard relationship throughout the rest of the season?

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'
            Porthos and Arlessiar...both of you injured in one day!? I hope you both feel better soon I made this to help you along on your road to recovery since we all know that a heap of DH is good for what ails you

(This came out funny...I blame the ghetto photoshop we have at work!)

Grab a spoon and feel better!!

<sputter, choke, thunk!> SQUEE!

And of course I'll share with you, Arlessiar! I think there's more than enough McKay love to go around!

Big thanks to everyone who's been wishing me well with my broken toe misery! I'm really feeling a lot better today than I was yesterday, I can even put a little weight on it! Hopefully I'll get better quickly, but I was a little shorter with my students today than I normally am (and I'm known as the "mean" teacher! ) Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate all the kind thoughts!

Comment

I'm going to away from the Internet until Sunday night, so don't get too rowdy without me.

I'll miss you too, David!

My kind of guy:
              "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
              Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
              (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                I'm going to get that, the I'm with Genius heather grey shirt, and a coffee mug, because I'm a hopeless tschotchke (sp?) addict, but when ordering, the form doesn't give you "USA" as a country choice.

In the meantime, I do have a rec for someone on eBay in the UK who sold me a very nice Atlantis T-shirt he designed.
                http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4732176866

The shirt is excellent - well stitched, heavyweight knit, and soft. And the design is well dyed into the fabric.

He has another Atlantis design too.
                A site that delivers to the Uk! Yay.

And the tshirt rec is nice but I was browsing his other stuff (saw the Daniel/Michael Shanks and Sam/Amanda pillocases for sale) and thinking if only he had DH/RM ones he'd make quite a bit.

Glad to hear you feel a bit better Porthos and have fun Watcher!

Comment

Originally posted by Shonaille
                  Well this is what Martin said
                  Spoiler:
                  This story is a great character piece for both Sheppard and McKay. Their relationship is challenged in a big way and both actors had to wrestle with the change in their characters because of it. It's a change that I think is wing-spreading for both Sheppard and McKay, and Joe and David Hewlett really rose to the challenge.

It sounds pretty long term to me, im sure they had long term consequences in mind when they shot this episode. I wonder how this will change the McKay and Sheppard relationship throughout the rest of the season?

I like the sound of this.
                  Spoiler:
                  Not that I'm complaining because I like the relationship between these two, but I think it would get awfully stale if it stayed the way it is. I'm hoping this means more depth and growth in the relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate Trippin'

DH: My fear when I got the role actually confronted me when we were at ComicCon. A fan walked up to me and said, “Don’t lose McKay.” And we have to watch for that. He doesn’t say or do the right thing. He’s a misogynist, and he doesn’t play well with others. As long as you maintain that you’re okay.

Well, if he says so he should start playing McKay like one then so I can believe it The way he treats Elizabeth especially shows he has lots of respect for women. Some other example would be how he stands up for Teyla in Suspicion and the way he treats Allina in The Brotherhood.
                    I'd have to say this is the first time I've disagreed with anything DH said. Besides if he were right, women like us wouldn't like him

Comment

A site that delivers to the Uk! Yay.

And the tshirt rec is nice but I was browsing his other stuff (saw the Daniel/Michael Shanks and Sam/Amanda pillocases for sale) and thinking if only he had DH/RM ones he'd make quite a bit.
                      The seller mentions he does custom items. I'm quite tempted to provide him with a high-res digital photo of DH/RM. Lord knows we all have a few sitting about on our hard drives.

Another nice pillow slip might be a McWeir moment. Or a McShWeir moment. :::: purrs ::::

Of course, I might have to have one of Col. Caldwell too. Mitch and I go waaaaay back. He'd not be surprised at all to be on a pillowcase of mine.

Wait, I need more space in my bed for all these pillows. It's going to be crowded if it's me, 3 kitties and half of Atlantis in there!
                      Last edited by not so ancient; 22 June 2005, 02:24 PM.
                      ~*~*~*~*~*
                      not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                        The seller mentions he does custom items. I'm quite tempted to provide him with a high-res digital photo of DH/RM. Lord knows we all have a few sitting about on our hard drives.

Another nice pillow slip might be a McWeir moment. Or a McShWeir moment. :::urrs::::

Of course, I might have to have one of Col. Caldwell too. Mitch and I go waaaaay back. He'd not be surprised at all to be on a pillowcase of mine.

Wait, I need more space in my bed for all these pillows. It's going to be crowded if it's me, 3 kitties and half of Atlantis in there!
                        How about having cushions with the pics on? You cant have too many cushions, well, not really...

Comment

Oh, good idea! Sleeping with Rodney against my cheek! Maybe then I would dream of McKay....finally!
                          Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                          :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

You can make those pillow covers yourself if you have the drive and time. Simply get a good pic on your comp and print it onto special transfer paper (found in office supply stores or places like Target, etc) using the best color printer you can find. Iron the transfer onto the pillow cover and voila!

I think the bf would see a Rodney pillow as going a bit too far though...

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                              You can make those pillow covers yourself if you have the drive and time. Simply get a good pic on your comp and print it onto special transfer paper (found in office supply stores or places like Target, etc) using the best color printer you can find. Iron the transfer onto the pillow cover and voila!

I think the bf would see a Rodney pillow as going a bit too far though...
                              I know, my mum makes bags and has tons of that paper (so you can get a bag with your kitty or pooch on it!), if I asked I could easily get one made up but a DH cushion might be taking it too far in my fiances eyes and my housemates would tease me worse too... same for any ships but I think an Atlantis (in general) cushion would be cool. Still too far probably (but then my fiance wouldn't suspect anything untoward about the cushion - it'd just happen to have DH on it as well as other people... j/k)

Comment

Wow, this entire discussion totally reminds me of my mom and her Burt Reynolds pillowcase...<shudder>

Not that I wouldn't enjoy having a DH/RM pillow to cuddle up with at night, but sadly each time I did it, I fear I'd somehow associate it with Burt Reynolds, and that is SO NOT COOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X