Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGLAB
    In the end McKay came off as just a nussance and Carter was still right. He really didn't offer anything in the episode other than his antagonism.
    That's because Carter is one of the main characters, and thus is protected by the contrivences of the plot. Afterall, we simply can't have her ever be wrong, especially not to a guest character now can we?

However, should she ever venture to Atlantis, she suddenly wouldn't be the main character and thus be unprotected by the needs of the plot. I don't think that would automatically make her always wrong, but it does raise the possibility that maybe, just maybe, McKay might be right for a change

(plus, I want to see her reaction to another Rodney McKay-style plan )
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
      And...voila!:

(The teapot image is NOT MINE but was...borrowed...from this website. I figured having it underwater made it more Atlantis-y. )
      Just to let you know, this was the cause of soda coming out my nose!!!
      Great pic!

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
      ---------------------------------------------
      ---------------------------------------------
      Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Share' being naked was on Showtime. Sci-fi channel and it being early evening would make McKay be shirtless or seemingly naked.

"I just hated away the fact that I give a s***" - Dave from Nothing

My clone: http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...Kay/TaoRM2.jpg
        Courtesy of the Mckay/Hewlett Thunk Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
          That's because Carter is one of the main characters, and thus is protected by the contrivences of the plot. Afterall, we simply can't have her ever be wrong, especially not to a guest character now can we?
          LOL how true.

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
          However, should she ever venture to Atlantis, she suddenly wouldn't be the main character and thus be unprotected by the needs of the plot. I don't think that would automatically make her always wrong, but it does raise the possibility that maybe, just maybe, McKay might be right for a change

(plus, I want to see her reaction to another Rodney McKay-style plan )
          I'd like to see that too.

Comment

Well, as a writer ( ), I think McKay is a fantastic character and I love the way he's being written!

In 48 Hours, Sam needed an antagonist: she needed someone who was smart enough to understand the ins and outs of gate theory, but who might not "get" the human element. Enter Dr. McKay. He knows at least as much about the stargate as she does, but he doesn't have much practical experience. He's book smart, not field smart. The snark and arrogance are what make McKay a character and not just Another Bland Stock Character.

Sam is incredibly smart and incredibly experienced. I don't think there are many who would argue with that... and I don't think there'd be many who would argue with her. Again, this is where McKay comes in handy- he's not just smart, he KNOWS he's smart and he isn't afraid to stand up to anyone because as far as he's concerned (and probably in his experience) he's the smartest person in the room. He's probably one of the few people who COULD have stood up to Sam and could have continued arguing the futility of the situation. And we need to know it's futile. We need to know it's impossible to save Teal'c because otherwise there's no drama.

There is also the fact that McKay was brought into the situation by one of the show's bigger (at the time) human antagonists. As nasty and obnoxious and despicable as Simmons was, anyone associated with him would have to have an echo of that- it emphasizes Simmons' own inherent contemptibility. We're supposed to hate McKay because he's an agent of The Enemy.

For me, at least, I found small touches to the character that made him more amusing than outright repugnant: As condescending and arrogant as he was, there also seemed to be a lot of bluff to him and I got a sense that maybe he wasn't as bad as he seemed, maybe it was just a way to keep everyone at a distance. I tend to do that, myself, so I could identify with McKay through that. I saw moments where his carefully built "armor" slipped just a bit, particularly at the end when he realises that his stubborn determination not to consider alternatives almost resulted in Teal'c's death. I think that really shook him... until his "public face" took over again and he was back to his usual rude self.

I think McKay's time in Siberia changed him. When we met him again in Redemption, he was still annoying and obnoxious, but it felt a little more subdued. Again, there were moments when his armor slipped, and this time it slipped a little bit more... and his return to his carefully crafted persona seemed a little more obvious. At least to me. Redemption gave me a strong sense of McKay's vulnerability and hinted at whole new levels of depth and possibility within the character. Those depths and possibilities have, IMO, been explored to great effect in Atlantis and I, for one, look forward to seeing more of it in season two- both the arrogant "shell", which is so much fun to watch and the softer, "inner Rodney" that the writers (and David) keep taunting us with.

I would dearly love to see McKay finally get to one-up Sam. I wonder which of them will be more surprised when it happens?

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
              And...voila!:

(The teapot image is NOT MINE but was...borrowed...from this website. I figured having it underwater made it more Atlantis-y. )
              Hmm. Maybe we need to locate or make an Ancient (art deco-ish) teapot. I could maybe try making a 3D one (my boyfriend keeps wanting my to learn how to use blender so I can make things for his future pc games ).

And on the thunking. Maybe we could have less slogan and more pics or - to make everyone happy, Match slogans with pics?

And what about...
              My McKay, my precioussssss
              Or is that too weird?

Comment

I liked McKay in Redemption. We were able to see a little more depth there I thought and we get to see him more in Atlantis and I'll be interested to see him grow as a character.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                  And on the thunking. Maybe we could have less slogan and more pics or - to make everyone happy, Match slogans with pics?
                  Okay then, here's an obvious one -

McKay kicks ass.

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                  (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

McKay - You see this name, you think dirty.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

LOL. Great stuff Watcher. Love the last two pics with the slogan.

Comment

McKay after a long day

Poor baby!

My kind of guy:

Comment

"McKay for your kids."

Not!

My kind of guy:

Comment

"I fall for McKay"

Oops, I guess that's "McKay falls".

I didn't realize it until now, but Rodney falls down 3 times in Hide and Seek.

My kind of guy:

Comment

Maybe this is better for "I fall for McKay".

My kind of guy:

Comment

Well, if he looked like this at me, yes, "I fall for McKay."

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X