No announcement yet.

Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, back in the day when this thread was much more... active, thunking managed to include both pretty pictures AND words. Since I imagine everyone isn't attracted to Rodney/David simply for his looks (I go for the brains myself), I think a little talk about his personality/character still fits the purpose here. YMMV, of course.

Personally, much as I love him, I think Rodney's lucky Sam didn't smack him upside the head for such obnoxious comments (and she wasn't his superior, so she certainly could have). So few of us really liked Rodney back then (hey, I can think he was a sexist jerk and still enjoy him), I feel it's all the more impressive that the character gained such a huge fan following. A testament to good character-building and David's excellence

As for the other, I can't imagine adding anything to what DragonLadyK has already summed up perfectly. Very nicely put.

ETA: Wow, apparently I'm psychic...
    Last edited by Moneypenny; 11 February 2009, 09:17 PM. Reason: commenting on previous post

Comment

i like the new title to this thread
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid
        Hey do you guys think Rodney was full of CRAP about him being allergic to LEMONS? Or do you take him at his WORD?
        It's hard to tell. The whole medical side of Rodney is so inconsistent (complaining about this or that in one episode and then being perfectly fine regardless of the situation the next episode) that the viewer can't know for sure. I think that yes he is allergic to citrus, but he may be making people think that other problems (like for example, the hypoglycemia) are worse than they actually are.

Though speaking as somebody with various allergies, I don't think it's funny when that kind of thing is played for laughs. (The whole lemon thing in Pegasus Project? Besides being OOC for Sheppard, I thought it was cruel and unnecessary.)

Comment

Originally posted by Moneypenny View Post
          Since I imagine everyone isn't attracted to Rodney/David simply for his looks (I go for the brains myself), I think a little talk about his personality/character still fits the purpose here. YMMV, of course.
          I see you and raise you ...... not all of us like Mckay for his ...looks, simply because he is a guy. But we love Mckay for his brains and character (Yes, character!!!!! an absolutely honest, brilliant and sensitive jerc)

Originally posted by Moneypenny View Post
          So few of us really liked Rodney back then (hey, I can think he was a sexist jerk and still enjoy him), I feel it's all the more impressive that the character gained such a huge fan following. A testament to good character-building and David's excellence
          Raise you again!! where were you all that time??????

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid
          Hey do you guys think Rodney was full of CRAP about him being allergic to LEMONS? Or do you take him at his WORD?
          Why would he be? People usually hide their sensitivities. Sensitive and egocentric people more than others.
          Spoiler:
          APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
          (YEAR 0 - 100)
          "O thou Sun,
          send me as far over the earth
          as is my pleasure and thine,
          and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
          but never hear anything of bad ones,
          nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post

I could stare at this picture all day.
            http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...x08020-3-1.jpg
            I know
            Last edited by TameFarrar; 12 February 2009, 06:39 AM. Reason: please do not repost pictures

Comment

Originally posted by DragonLadyK View Post

How about some baby!McKay, as I call him.

DragonLady

LOL! I call him the newbee McKay, but "baby" works too

Comment

Or Mckay with lots of hair (i know.... i am bad....)
                Spoiler:
                APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                (YEAR 0 - 100)
                "O thou Sun,
                send me as far over the earth
                as is my pleasure and thine,
                and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                but never hear anything of bad ones,
                nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PuddleJumper42 View Post
                  It's hard to tell. The whole medical side of Rodney is so inconsistent (complaining about this or that in one episode and then being perfectly fine regardless of the situation the next episode) that the viewer can't know for sure. I think that yes he is allergic to citrus, but he may be making people think that other problems (like for example, the hypoglycemia) are worse than they actually are.
                  Or he could be wrong about the chronic hypoglycemia entirely.

In a healthy adult, the body turns any excess glucose taken in during a meal into glycogen or into fat. If the body needs energy (that is, to produce ATP) between meals, it will break down those energy reserves into glucose and release it into the blood. Glycogen is easier to break down that fat. If the body has used up its glycogen reserves -- or if the glycogen breakdown is unusually inefficient for some reason -- there is a delay between the body's demand and the release of the glucose. During this delay, people will experience discomfort: the body wants you to eat now. However, the body will ramp up adrenaline production to keep you functional, and then the glycogen/fat-stored glucose will be released and the discomfort disappears. Provided there is sufficient water, the body can live off its energy reserves and adrenaline for a long time.

A hypoglycemic episode -- dizziness, shakes, nervousness/anxiety, sweating, dizziness, weakness, confusion, difficulty speaking -- happens when the adrenaline isn't sufficient to the cause and the blood glucose level has continued to fall. If a hypoglycemic episode is left untreated, it leads to a loss of consciouness and thereafter coma or death. (My mother had diabetes; we all had to know this stuff.)

Chronic hypoglycemia (where you have to eat to suit your insulin instead of your insulin production dropping to suit your food intake) is very rare in adults. When it does occur, it's normally caused by an insulin-producting tumor -- which would have shown up on a scan by now and been removed. Hypoglycemic episodes are most commonly caused by a hiccup in a diabetes-management plan: either taking too much insulin or forgetting to eat on time or drinking alcohol. We've never seen Rodney inject himself with insulin, nor did Teyla & Keller list insulin-management in the list of Rodney's medications during "Missing." I'm not even entirely certain someone with diabetes would be cleared for field duty.

However, there is a condition that looks like hypoglycemia to the naked eye: low blood pressure.

In a person with low blood pressure, either the heart does't pump hard enough or fast enough, or the arteries don't constrict enough to get enough blood where it needs to go. Chronic low blood pressure is hereditary and usually found in women. Since salt (which is contained in most foods) and adrenaline elevate blood pressure, most of the time someone with low blood pressure will be fine.

If, however, adrenaline production has slackened or the individual hasn't eaten salt in several hours -- like, say, she had a yogurt for breakfast and then skipped lunch during a calm shift, or if her breakfast included cinnamon -- the person's blood pressure will fall. Not eough blood will be getting to the brain, which causes dizziness, confusion, anxiety, sweats, and shakes. If the blood pressure drops far enough, the individual will lose consciousness for ten minutes or so. When the individual eats -- like, say a turkey sandwich or a powerbar -- the salt in the food will elevate the blood pressure and the problem goes away. If the individual is an a crisis -- like, say, being trapped in a sinking jumper -- adrenaline will keep the person's blood pressure elevated in lieu of the salt.

If Rodney wore glasses, his optometrist would have been able to make the diagnosis. Someone with chronic low blood presssure will become dizzy, nauseous, and/or pass out when given the yellow-tint eye drops in preparation for a glaucoma test. He or she will also have retinal veins with a long, low sine wave appearance.

DragonLady
                  "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

The Seer eye pics.

Spoiler:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenheart View Post
                      The Seer eye pics.
                      Oh, the pretty. Thanks for these.

DragonLady
                      "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by PuddleJumper42 View Post
                        (The whole lemon thing in Pegasus Project? Besides being OOC for Sheppard, I thought it was cruel and unnecessary.)
                        So did I! I was mad at Sheppard for that and I hated Mitchell for his part (threatening Rodney with the lemon)!

Does that make me weird?

Originally posted by Ravenheart View Post
                        The Seer eye pics.

Spoiler:

Thank you for the pretties!
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME.

Comment

So did I! I was mad at Sheppard for that and I hated Mitchell for his part (threatening Rodney with the lemon)!

Does that make me weird?
                          No, I was also mad at Sheppard and Mitchell! That was mean! You need to write a story about that!!

Thank you for the pretties!
                          Yes, thank you Ravenheart! Those made my night!!

sig by Varda

Comment

Originally posted by ed263 View Post
                            No, I was also mad at Sheppard and Mitchell! That was mean! You need to write a story about that!!
                            Thanks for the plot bunny. I may just give it a shot... some day.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME.

Comment

Hope your bunny hops around and eats alot of carrots and grows!

(I see you using the post icons a little more.)

sig by Varda

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
                                And the new title is
                                Rodney McKay/David Hewlett Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation
                                TameFarrar
                                GateWorld Moderator.
                                Wow.

I believe this is a switch back to the way it used to be. The more things change . . . etc.

At least we won't have to worry about people getting on someone for making one post of discussion out of dozens of posts of thunk. That will be a relief. Hopefully everyone will stay and be willing to try the new format.

On with the Thunking, Discussing and Appreciating!

Nooooo! Don't shoot the poor 'lil fuzzy plot bunny! Actually, there are quite a few versions of this storyline already out there. A quick search should turn some up for anyone interested. Some of my favorites are the ones where people give Rodney lemon, thinking its all his hypochondria and paranoia, and then are suddenly really, really sorry and horrified to find out that its all true. If I find some links, I'll put them over on the whump thread.

I personally like to believe the lemon thing is real - but that's because I'm also a whumper and I like Vulnerable!Rodney.
                                Last edited by GateEngineer17; 12 February 2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X