No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, how I wish JF had been allowed to have more input to the show.

I'm a fan who likes a little ship in her scifi, thank you very much. It shouldn't be over the top, it shouldn't be soap opera, etc. It's more like an underlying current or a foundation that's there, visible in recurring themes but not the focus of the show. Give me little tidbits here and there, a scene or moment of closeness between two people, and I'm good with that.

I love the excerpt from JF's interview. It makes my Sparky heart go pitter-patter. I saw their chemistry, I recognized the connection between those two characters. I think JF and TH have great screen presence and a good connection. I miss their interaction on the show.

And, before I go down memory lane and make myself sad, I'll just focus on the good feelings I got from seeing JF's words and break out in song.....

OH HAPPY DAY!
    sigpic
    Signature by Erin87

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Yep the party goes on. I'm waiting for my butter to soften so I can make my Cream Cheese Pecan Coconut Bourbon Pound Cake for my husband's office party. And I just weighed myself and I'm 3 lbs down from Thanksgiving. I guess the cookie/fruitcake diet is working. Woot!

Party on Sparkies!
      Hmmm...I need to get on your diet.

That cake sounds so decadent, I'm already sugar-ified on the name alone. *yum*

I shall go comment on the other thread.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
        From the latest issue of the Stargate Magazine. (Pinched from the f'list).

Q: Is there anything that John didn't get to do, in your eyes?

JF: I wish that I'd had a leading female romantic interest who was, like, my boss. I was thinking we could get some of that Moonlighting quality into the show, where it's not gratuitous nonsense and romantic excess, it's just under the surface, hidden, and consequently incredibly frustrating. You have a job to do, and you have to push your feelings aside. That makes for some of the best movies and television around.

**dances in glee**

Well, it worked REAL well for Sam and Jack in SG-1 - even though it took FOREVER to be resolved - and still isn't in many fans eyes.

I LOVED the Shep/Weir characters and could easily see there was something developing there. Not that I would have liked a copy of the S/J relationship/UST but you have to admit, it DOES work. Weir was my fav next to Shep.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Just added my two cents.

And, some more fun Sparky goodness......

Spoiler:

sigpic
          Signature by Erin87

Comment

I, too, love subtlety in story. No bashing over the head with obviousness, thanks--that sort of ruins shows for me. One of the reasons I like the Weir/Shep connection was because of the non-obviousness--for me it was an understated current of strong friendship and understanding which they seemed to enjoy. And depending on how you looked at it, could mean something more--but that's all in the interpretation.

Since I do ship Sparky, I <3 Joe for his statement. It sort of spins some of my favorite moments (particularly from S3, 4 & 5) in a warm & fuzzy, snuggy-blanket kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
              I am glad you are OK Reiko!! That is scary!
              Originally posted by johnliz4ever View Post
              Oh Sweetie. I'm glad you're okay. *Hugs*
              Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
              Yikes! I'm glad you're okay, Reiko! *hugs*
              Thanks guys. They haven't caught who did it yet but they are going to prosecute for the costs. (41,000+ USD.)

Comment

*runs in to give a big hug to Reiko*

*goes out and collapses*

rest of my furniture arrived. Gosh I hate housecleaning, packing, unpacking, sorting stuff.... I'm a tired little sparky today.
                I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Thanks guys. They haven't caught who did it yet but they are going to prosecute for the costs. (41,000+ USD.)
                  Know we're all thinking about you. (((hugs)))
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Know we're all thinking about you. (((hugs)))
                    Yup we are. Sparkies are a family ((hugs))
                    I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Yep the party goes on. I'm waiting for my butter to soften so I can make my Cream Cheese Pecan Coconut Bourbon Pound Cake for my husband's office party. And I just weighed myself and I'm 3 lbs down from Thanksgiving. I guess the cookie/fruitcake diet is working. Woot!

Party on Sparkies!
                      That pound cake sounds positively sinful and I WANT SOME!

Cookie/fruitcake diet? Damn, no wonder I'm so skinny... I love cookies!

*passes out some more champagne, mojitos, and a platter of crab cakes ('cause hey, Atlantis is on the ocean and they've got to have some sort of edible crab-like creatures around... good eats!)*

Speaking of which. Anyone who hasn't posted on this thread needs to scurry on over there and add your 2 cents. *makes shooing motions*
                      Seconded. The topic of JoeF's comments is an obscene amount of fun, no matter what thread you're in!
                      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Good! I hope they rip whoever's responsible a new ***hole!

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                        *runs in to give a big hug to Reiko*

*goes out and collapses*

rest of my furniture arrived. Gosh I hate housecleaning, packing, unpacking, sorting stuff.... I'm a tired little sparky today.
                        *hugs Anuna* But the furniture's there! That's a happy thing!
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                          That pound cake sounds positively sinful and I WANT SOME!

Cookie/fruitcake diet? Damn, no wonder I'm so skinny... I love cookies!

*passes out some more champagne, mojitos, and a platter of crab cakes ('cause hey, Atlantis is on the ocean and they've got to have some sort of edible crab-like creatures around... good eats!)*

Seconded. The topic of JoeF's comments is an obscene amount of fun, no matter what thread you're in!
                          The cake's about ready to cut. I'll let you know how yummy it is. I know there's never very much of my desserts left at these things.

And that thread is a ton of fun. Especially all the people who are not Sparkies but are saying they could see it. I refuse to be frustrated that they weren't around when she was on the show.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Quick alert: Stargate!Ren has been updated. The final part of From the Ashes of Our Fathers is now up.

The cake's about ready to cut. I'll let you know how yummy it is. I know there's never very much of my desserts left at these things.
                            Excellent! That's always the mark of a good recipe... leave 'em begging for more!

And that thread is a ton of fun. Especially all the people who are not Sparkies but are saying they could see it. I refuse to be frustrated that they weren't around when she was on the show.
                            Yeah. But I guess this means that Sparky is one case where a vocal minority and a silent majority are in agreement. I can definitely live with that!

Comment

I think A LOT of those people were fans who were fall under the old adage of 'you don't realize a good thing until it's no longer there' or some such.

Not that they disliked Weir or anything, but it wasn't until a few episodes after Torri Higginson was gone that they realized 'hey, I kinda really liked her presence on the show.'

And then, after TMC: 'Wow. I really do miss Weir. See how well she fit in with everybody? I didn't really appreciate that.'

And then, a season later: 'Hmmm. Even though Woolsey's kinda cool there's something missing. I feel like Sheppard is kinda out of character. Why's he hallucinating about Ford?

And then, a few episodes later, after GITM: 'Damn. Lookit Sheppard. Lookit his face! How long's it been since he made that face? And the looks! The emotion Joe F. is showing--he really did care about Weir. Honestly, looking back at it now...he hasn't been the same since she left the show. There really was a connection between them. They probably shouldn't have gotten rid of Weir like that.'

And then, after Joe F.'s statement: 'He's right. That would have been a cool plot line and now that I've considered everything, he basically had that with Weir. All they had to do was step it up a notch or two, but considering how close he was to that character it would have been totally believable.'

And then Sparkies are like *HEADDESK* WHY DIDN'T YOU REALIZE THIS SOONER?
                              Last edited by Eri13; 17 December 2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                *amused grin* Ah, here comes that argument Reiko predicted!

I'll say here what I already said over on the Sparky thread:

JoeF specifically stated, "I wish that I'd had a leading female romantic interest who was, like, my boss." There have only been four female characters in SGA's regular cast, thus qualifying them as "leading" characters: Elizabeth Weir, Teyla Emmagan, Samantha Carter, and Jennifer Keller.

Both Teyla and Keller are automatically disqualified because neither one of them have ever been Sheppard's boss. Of the remaining two regular female characters, both of whom have been Sheppard's boss, Carter can also be discounted on the fact that she has been so thoroughly connected to Jack O'Neill in the romance department. (Let's face it, regardless of whether you ship Sparky or Sheyla, none of us want to piss off the Sam/Jack fans. ) Which leaves us with the only possible contender to meet JoeF's stated criteria for a love interest for Sheppard: Elizabeth Weir.

Ain't logic fun?
                                Great logic.

(Let's face it, regardless of whether you ship Sparky or Sheyla, none of us want to piss off the Sam/Jack fans. )
                                Good plan. Especially since I happen to like both pairings. Nothing like all that juicy chemistry to make a fangirl squee!
                                Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                                Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                                Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X