Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melyanna
    And to veer off onto another topic, I made a random connection this morning. In Before I Sleep, Elizabeth asked Old!Elizabeth if she was in any pain, and Old!Elizabeth indicated that neither of them would admit it if they were. Yet a few episodes earlier, at the end of The Eye, John asked Elizabeth if she was okay, and she said no, quite emphatically. I found the contradiction, as it were, rather interesting.
    But then in Coversion, when John asked her if he'd hurt anyone, she told him that he hadn't hurt anyone seriously. Despite the fact that
    Spoiler:
    he almost strangled her to death in his quarters
    not long before that.

You know, I still have issues with this scene. The fact that nothing came form it. He said he remembered his incident with Teyla and things after that so I still maintain that he remembered what happened with Elizabeth. If I had to make a guess, I'm thinking that she left it out of her mission report. Probably thinking that it would be the perfect opportunity for Caldwell to pull John out for attacking his boss. *shrugs* I dunno.

Kinda went away from the point of this post there...er yea.
    hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

And to veer off onto another topic, I made a random connection this morning. In Before I Sleep, Elizabeth asked Old!Elizabeth if she was in any pain, and Old!Elizabeth indicated that neither of them would admit it if they were. Yet a few episodes earlier, at the end of The Eye, John asked Elizabeth if she was okay, and she said no, quite emphatically. I found the contradiction, as it were, rather interesting.
      That's what I've been wondering about as well! It seemed like Before I Sleep and The Eye would have worked better if BIS came before the Eye. Old!Elizabeth tells Elizabeth that she shouldn't be so hard on herself. I think this could have caused her to admit that she wasn't okay in the Eye. But because BIS came after the Eye, it doesn't quiet work so well..

Comment

That could be to do with her being conscious of her pain in BIS and Conversion. If she'd had time to really comprehend what had just happened to her, in The Eye, she very well might have shrugged off a "Yeah, I'm fine." As it was, she was still dealing with a very 'wtf' moment when John came over and asked her if she was okay.

Comment

Yeah, but in The Eye he wasn't just asking whether she was hurt-- he asked if she was okay. Would you be okay after just having been held hostage?

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
            That could be to do with her being conscious of her pain in BIS and Conversion. If she'd had time to really comprehend what had just happened to her, in The Eye, she very well might have shrugged off a "Yeah, I'm fine." As it was, she was still dealing with a very 'wtf' moment when John came over and asked her if she was okay.
            And at the end of the episode she was very "Yeah, I'm ok." when talking with Rodney and John.That never sat well with me. Which is why I wrote fic about ti.

Spoiler:
            Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Moomin
              But then in Coversion, when John asked her if he'd hurt anyone, she told him that he hadn't hurt anyone seriously. Despite the fact that
              Spoiler:
              not long before that.

You know, I still have issues with this scene. The fact that nothing came form it. He said he remembered his incident with Teyla and things after that so I still maintain that he remembered what happened with Elizabeth. If I had to make a guess, I'm thinking that she left it out of her mission report. Probably thinking that it would be the perfect opportunity for Caldwell to pull John out for attacking his boss. *shrugs* I dunno.

Kinda went away from the point of this post there...er yea.
              In Conversion it wasn't about willingness to show vulnerability. She was protecting John by not telling him what he did. And yeah, it would have been nice to see something between them about it at the end.

Comment

That whole scene where their all talking at the end of the eye never came off right to me either. After whats happened! Liz was just kidnapped held at gun point and almost died, sheppards definetly to cheerful. I expect that incident was the first time he'd ever shot someone in anger. And he was in a cold blooded rage less than a few hours earlier, just dosn't seem right to me

On battlestar galactica we would have seen consequence, see them all messed up after the whole incident, but there isn't time to do that on SG-A Wish they'd have been more sparky angst

Comment

Spoiler:
                  not long before that.
                  Actually, something about that scene intrigues me.
                  Spoiler:
                  There's not a mark on Elizabeth's neck, despite the fact that John had lifted her from the ground. He could have killed her easily or hurt her a lot worse, but he didn't. His intention was to scare her, and when that didn't work, he didn't hurt her further. When she told him he didn't hurt anyone seriously, I think she was telling the truth. She continued to stand by him after that – literally.

And that's why I don't have a problem with the lack of an "apology" scene for them. I don't think it was needed. She'd already forgiven him.
                  Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                  Last update: 14 April 2006
                  Melyanna's Multimedia
                  Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by SGLAB
                    In Conversion it wasn't about willingness to show vulnerability. She was protecting John by not telling him what he did. And yeah, it would have been nice to see something between them about it at the end.
                    That why I like to believe that she didn't include it in her mission report. (not that we actually know it) To protect him. And maybe for the fact that she thought it was probably better left in the past. She knew it wasn't John that was was in full control, that's why he let her go, because he didn't really want to hurt her. She's protecting him from his own reaction.

I still hold out hope that there will be recognition that it happened. It could potentialy be brought up in any type of angst/whump scene. *lol*

Spoiler:

There's not a mark on Elizabeth's neck, despite the fact that John had lifted her from the ground. He could have killed her easily or hurt her a lot worse, but he didn't. His intention was to scare her, and when that didn't work, he didn't hurt her further. When she told him he didn't hurt anyone seriously, I think she was telling the truth. She continued to stand by him after that – literally.

And that's why I don't have a problem with the lack of an "apology" scene for them. I don't think it was needed. She'd already forgiven him.
                    I never really thought of it like that.
                    Spoiler:
                    I was mainly annoyed that they 'forgot' to show marks around her neck. I thought it would have left some sort of mark. But then, I've never been held up against a wall by my neck so I can't really say for sure. The fact that she had already forgiven him I can definately believe. That's actually a nice way to think of it. It shows a deep, trusting friendship that can survive physical torment like that.
                    hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

Comment

Originally posted by Trialia
                      Yeah, but in The Eye he wasn't just asking whether she was hurt-- he asked if she was okay. Would you be okay after just having been held hostage?
                      Pain's pain, whether it be emotional or physical. I doubt she'd admit to being emotionally damaged any more than she would admit to being in physical pain (Infact, I rather see her admitting to physical pain before emotional pain).

Depends who was holding me hostage

Spoiler:
                      There's not a mark on Elizabeth's neck, despite the fact that John had lifted her from the ground. He could have killed her easily or hurt her a lot worse, but he didn't. His intention was to scare her, and when that didn't work, he didn't hurt her further. When she told him he didn't hurt anyone seriously, I think she was telling the truth.
                      I'm inclined to agree. [Conversion]
                      Spoiler:
                      Looking back, I don't see a reason for there being a mark. She was still able to talk to him without sounding strangled, and I doubt there was much pressure used to hold her up either. I think she still had her feet on the ground, albeit only her tip toes, so imo, it was more a case of holding her in place than choking her.

Comment

Pain's pain, whether it be emotional or physical. I doubt she'd admit to being emotionally damaged any more than she would admit to being in physical pain (Infact, I rather see her admitting to physical pain before emotional pain).

Depends who was holding me hostage
                        I can agree to that. She's a diplomat. She's used to keeping her face neutral in the worst of situations when it's called for. She probably has the best poker face out of all of them. Physical pain, however, is a lot harder to hide. It's there for people to see and if it looks painful then it probably is.
                        hh

Comment

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                          Yeah i'd thought of it too, at first i was miffed that there hadn't been any bruising around her neck. But then i thought about this accident i suffered many years ago and was hit really hard on my face, to the point that the vessels on my right eye popped and the eye turned a bloody red, but i didn't get any bruises on my face, it was weird, cause i was hit very badly, but there was zero bruising. So i thought, that hey, maybe he didn't bang her up so badly, so it wouldn't be too rare for her not to be bruised, still the bruises would've been good for us Weir whumpers .
                          About the apology, i think an apology scene between Sheppard and Weir would have carried much more bagage that the one between Teyla and Sheppard, not because one attack was worse than the other, but because of the different relationships. With Teyla it was a scene that portrayed closure, of a chapter between the characters, there was moment in time when Sheppard may have entertained thoughts about Teyla, but the attack didn't have anything to do with his being attracted to her. And the talk was him trying to patch and clear thing up, to me that scene really damaged the friendship between Sheppard and Teyla (the attack, not the apology), because you can see how scared she was during it, and how relieved she is at the end when she practicaly sprints from the gym after he apologyses.
                          But on that last scene that's as far as it goes, end of story, he might have given it a thought, but now she's a part of the team, and she's no longer the potential girlfriend of the week.
                          An apology scene between Sheppard and Weir would something a hell of a lot more complicated than that, because the writers would've had to delve into why did Weir keep coming to talk to him?, the why of his rage?, why didn't he kill her if he was past the point of no return?. I've been trying to think of how this scene could've gone, and it keeps coming back to the fact that the relationship between Sheppard and Weir is so complex that they don't even realise how far interwined their lives have become. IMO the writers must have considered writing a Sheppard/Weir apology scene, but it would've been so tangled up, because it wouldn't been a "let's never talk about this again" end of story talk (as it was with Teyla).
                          This is just my take on it, off course it could also have happened that as oblivious as tptb are they thought the episode was already long enough and didn't give the idea of a Sheppard/weir apology a second thought .

Comment

I never really thought of it like that.
                            Spoiler:
                            I was mainly annoyed that they 'forgot' to show marks around her neck. I thought it would have left some sort of mark. But then, I've never been held up against a wall by my neck so I can't really say for sure. The fact that she had already forgiven him I can definately believe. That's actually a nice way to think of it. It shows a deep, trusting friendship that can survive physical torment like that.
                            As for the marks on her neck, I think that if he'd been holding her tightly enough to leave marks, she wouldn't have been able to breathe, let alone talk. He certainly wasn't choking her.

I really think the most important thing to get out of this episode is that John and Elizabeth trust each other implicitly, no matter what's going on.
                            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                            Last update: 14 April 2006
                            Melyanna's Multimedia
                            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

So much catching up to do. So I'll just comment on the newest stuff.

I think it would take a lot less for her to admit to physical pain, than emotional pain. She's very talented at hiding her emotions, as comes from being a diplomat. I just think it would have to take something really bad, for her to show how she's really feeling. And I also agree with MM that it would be harder to hide physical pain. Seeing as it'd be blatently obvious that something that looks terribly painful, no doubt means you're in pain.

I'm inclined to agree. [Conversion]
                              Spoiler:
                              Looking back, I don't see a reason for there being a mark. She was still able to talk to him without sounding strangled, and I doubt there was much pressure used to hold her up either. I think she still had her feet on the ground, albeit only her tip toes, so imo, it was more a case of holding her in place than choking her.
                              That plus
                              Spoiler:
                              it certainly didn't take long for her to get up and rush after him and call for a security detail. Had he actually been choking her, she'd probably have been left a bit more winded. And then, we'd expect to see bruises or something on her neck. If you look at the scene too, he basically just pushes her against the wall, to as you've said, keep her from going anywhere, not to actually hurt her. It also looks like he's battling mentally with himself trying to understand her, and trying to take control back and let her go.

Ok, so now that I'm starting to babble, off to catch up on Sparky fic, and then get ready to go out to dinner. Exams are DONE! so I'll be able to work on the next chapter of my fic. So, hopefully I'll be posting the link to that in the near future.

Comment

Physical pain, however, is a lot harder to hide. It's there for people to see and if it looks painful then it probably is.
                                You'd be surprised how easy it is to hide when you're motivated.
                                /repeat offender
                                "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
                                My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

Working...
                                X