Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luz
    Here is an idea, since it seems now this thread is more about how shallow Sheppard is, and kirking this, kirking that, yakkity yak, yadda yadda yadda, and about what a manwhore Sheppard is, and how he can't do anything right, than about Sparky.
    Let's stop the charade and change the name once and for all. Or just plain close it, i mean we don't need two STAKS threads do we?. On the other hand, this can be used *officially* as the anti-Sheppard thread, i mean it's been used for that for a while, let's make it official.
    Oh.....so there's the deep end....I always wondered

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
      Anyone mind that I said it for everyone?
      Nope as long as you are referring to just the 'We don't hate Sheppard!' bit and not the 'annoyed by too many hot alien chicks' bit
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm
        Oh.....so there's the deep end....I always wondered
        Ha! Took the words right out of my mouth.
        Some people need to realise that just because you have an opinion about Shep's character development,doesn't mean you're anti-Shep. Please. I'm pretty sure most of the countries we live in have freedom of speech!
        Also... some people like to stir up trouble in other threads... Hope they like the taste of red, because there's already been talk of it.

Comment

Hey, I LUV the Sheph0r! Hot, young babes every week, who doesn't love that?

TV is full of shows that have shallow characters. I guess SGA just wanted to be like a regular run-of-the-mill soap opera.

I'm just waiting for Shep to get pregnant with an alien child. Then we'll be at National Enquirer levels. Woot!

Comment

OMG. Can this be over? Lets stop arguing.

I'm sorry, just... I'm almost at 1000 posts, I'd like to have my 1000th post be something happy, not another post where I have to explain that I'm not a Shep-hater.
            Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
            Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
              Here is an idea, since it seems now this thread is more about how shallow Sheppard is, and kirking this, kirking that, yakkity yak, yadda yadda yadda, and about what a manwhore Sheppard is, and how he can't do anything right, than about Sparky.
              Let's stop the charade and change the name once and for all. Or just plain close it, i mean we don't need two STAKS threads do we?. On the other hand, this can be used *officially* as the anti-Sheppard thread, i mean it's been used for that for a while, let's make it official.
              Luz, people have tried to explain more than once their POV on what you're calling Sheppard bashing. I can see where you're coming from, but I think this suggestion is rather extreme, especially when people have repeatedly stated that they don't hate the character. It's like dealing with real people. Every last one of my friends has some trait that irritates me to some degree, but that doesn't stop me from being friends with them.

My problem with Sheppard is that he's repeatedly been the focus of a plot device that I really don't like. That's it. Other episodes? Loved how he outwitted the Wraith Queen in The Hive. Loved him being a great pilot in The Intruder. Loved him trying to integrate Ronon into the community in Duet. Loved him being Science Guy in Grace Under Pressure. Loved him as Elizabeth's second in Critical Mass and Coup d'État.

He's had cool stuff to do this season, and we've talked about it. But he's also done stuff that some haven't been happy with, and we've talked about that too. That shouldn't translate as Sheppard bashing, at least not at the level you're suggesting. This one aspect keeps getting brought up in this thread because it keeps coming up on the show, and I for one wish it would stop, because I just don't find it entertaining.
              Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
              Last update: 14 April 2006
              Melyanna's Multimedia
              Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

*at least he didn't post a random chicken pic*

*ROTFLMAO*

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy542
                  OMG. Can this be over? Lets stop arguing.
                  No way! I just got here. I missed most of the good arguments I think.

Maybe we can have just a little, teensy-weensy bit of arguing?

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
                    Excuse me but....what?? In my understanding, this thread is supposed to be for discussion about Sheppard/Weir and the "budding emotional relationship" they have - I checked the very first post for that by the way! So can you really blame us if we don't want to see him with these space chicks in half of this season's episodes? If we express our opinions about that, it does not mean we hate Sheppard, it means we are not satisfied with the direction writers are taking the character to. Or at least that's what it is for me.

I don't understand. I love Sheppard but I'm not willing to accept everything he does on the show without any reservations. Does that suddenly now make me a Shep-hater?
                    When there is a will, there is a way.

My LiveJournal (friends-only)
                    My fics

Sig by Trialia.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
                      Only one thing to say here. Grow up!
                      Don't come into a thread with the intent of stirring up trouble. I presume you usually hang in the thunk thread. Well, I have issues with you guys posting pics of Joe's bare butt all the time, and talking about 'looking for ZPMs' in his pants etc etc. I don't go in there and have a go at you because it's your territory, and what you people do in there is your own business.
                      Don't go coming in here and telling us we're anti Shep when you're treating Shep, and by association Joe, like he's a piece of meat to be ogled.
                      If you don't like it here, you don't have to come in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
                        Honey you need to take a deep breath and step away from the keyboard.

And I think the rest of us should probably just move on and ignore what others are spewing out. Some times people feel so strongly they refuse to see anything else, even the truth. We know we don’t hate Shep. So let them rant and go on diatribes, but we should probably not add fuel to the flames, it degrades us and all the wonderful discussions we have around here!

Some one please post my favorite pic, you know, the one from 'The Eye', where they are wearing identical expressions. (I really love the eyebrow thing!) That will bring the happy back right? If that doesn't do it, I think it will be time to bring out the mints!!
                        "It's been my experience, Julia, that no matter where you go...there you are. " Suzanne Sugarbaker
                        (Designing Women)

Comment

Originally posted by Droops
                          No way! I just got here. I missed most of the good arguments I think.

Maybe we can have just a little, teensy-weensy bit of arguing?
                          Well it seems you'll get your wish anyway, this doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon. *sigh*

(Shep should definitely come back pregnant one day. Just like Trip in that Enterprise episode... Yup, that was the epitome of hotness, right there. )
                          Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
                          Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

I haven't been on much the last few days because my home connection has been the equivalent of the early days of dial-up... but work's been busy also...

In a forum as large as this one, there will inevitably be a whole range of opinions even within a thread like this. One needs to be prepared for the fact that not everyone sees perceives things the way we do. While I don't always agree with everything that's being said here, I don't think there's been any real character bashing going on.

I really don't want to see anymore Sheppard thunkers come in and criticise this thread for being anti-Sheppard because let's face it, we're all biased and we see characters rather differently. Furthermore, whatever problems we may or may not have here should stay in here. I am uncomfortable with "outsiders" coming in making generalized comments about whatever opinions may be held by regulars. I've been reading this thread for a very long time and I don't think any one here is anti-Sheppard... they can't be if they're reading S/W fanfics and wanting solid characterization for the character. A little criticism of the character is not the equivalent of character bashing and even if it was, there are no rules against it.

As a semi-active member of this thread, I don't mind saying that I don't like being lumped into the anti-Sheppard category. I like the character very much but I don't like some of the things I've been seeing lately. It doesn't mean that we don't like the character. As others have said, if we didn't care about Sheppard that much we wouldn't even give him the time of day. I don't post in the Teyla threads for precisely that reason.

Furthermore, there is an erroneous thinking that this anti-Kirking idea is anti-Sheppard or about us being prudish about sex. Well, it isn't... it's all about lazy writing on TPTB's part. It's a convenient way to deal with character without having to do the hard work of consistent characterization. Viewers are being short changed and the more hardcored scifi fanbase (I include myself in this) has very high expectations.

I really hope we don't have to keep defending ourselves. If people are interested in what people here really think, there over a thousand pages of stuff people have said. The opinions here are as divergent as the backgrounds represented here.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy542
                              (Shep should definitely come back pregnant one day. Just like Trip in that Enterprise episode... Yup, that was the epitome of hotness, right there. )
                              Also happened in Red Dwarf when they went to an alternate universe...the guy actually did it with the female version of himself
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                                Luz, people have tried to explain more than once their POV on what you're calling Sheppard bashing. I can see where you're coming from, but I think this suggestion is rather extreme, especially when people have repeatedly stated that they don't hate the character. It's like dealing with real people. Every last one of my friends has some trait that irritates me to some degree, but that doesn't stop me from being friends with them.

My problem with Sheppard is that he's repeatedly been the focus of a plot device that I really don't like. That's it. Other episodes? Loved how he outwitted the Wraith Queen in The Hive. Loved him being a great pilot in The Intruder. Loved him trying to integrate Ronon into the community in Duet. Loved him being Science Guy in Grace Under Pressure. Loved him as Elizabeth's second in Critical Mass and Coup d'État.

He's had cool stuff to do this season, and we've talked about it. But he's also done stuff that some haven't been happy with, and we've talked about that too. That shouldn't translate as Sheppard bashing, at least not at the level you're suggesting. This one aspect keeps getting brought up in this thread because it keeps coming up on the show, and I for one wish it would stop, because I just don't find it entertaining.
                                Yeah, okay, taking deep breaths. What thicked me off was the whore comment, and it all went downhill from there.
                                I'm a bit sensitive about these two characters, so i'm counting to ten right now.
                                Have you noticed how when you get pissed off about something, everything else everyone says seems to feed that little grain of anger?. It's like your brain disconnects for a moment there, and your eyes only see a huge flashing red sign?.
                                So that happened to me with the Sheph0r comment, but i like this thread too much. And i know the people here, i just thought about this and tried to clear my head. And it feels extremely weird, and *SO* not right to be having this heated argument with you, 'cause i like you, and i love the Sparky. That changing names thingy, is a result of letting anger write your posts, and i *so* don't wanna be a troll. My gosh i don't know what happened to me, i read the Sheph0r comment and it felt like someone had told me that my baby was ugly, things got so out of hand, :headdesk:.
                                The rush of adrenaline has worn of, and i feel so embarassed for having made such a huge deal of something that i could have managed in a much more mature way. But remember how i told you a while back, i just don't do well on debates which is why i try to stay away from them.
                                I'm so sorry for having disturbed a thread that's always such a haven, just, sorry .

Comment

Working...
                                X