No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipper Writer. I'll be on from now until this laptop goes for good.

Comment

Alright I am off to bed, but I bring thee a little piece of a Sparky Passage I am writing....Enjoy

You know it kills me
      When you’re gone so long
      I said I’m sorry oh I was wrong
      It’s hard to see things how they are
      Look in closely but its very hard
      I kissed you on a Saturday
      I miss you even more today

Sheppard walked along the perimeter of their host’s manor (since he couldn’t risk getting himself caught it was the only place he could walk). He should have been in there comforting his distressed teammate. But he couldn’t stand to see the sight of love these days nor could he stand the sight of a woman comforting a man.

It reminded of the love he once had and had lost in one of the most painful moments in his life…

His boss, his friend and his former lover Elizabeth Weir.

She was different from most women she met. She was a kind and loving woman yet had a strong personality. She was one of the rare that possessed such inner and outer beauty. Because they were both strong people they fit together perfectly, like pieces to a jigsaw puzzle.

(Lyrics are From IO Perry's Saturday) Hope you enjoyed the little taste of my Sparky Gumbo
      BALCONIES
      The Breeding Ground of Ships.
      sigpic

Comment

On John's parents, I think he and Dave were probably pretty young when their mother died. Their father could have thrown himself into his work and withdrawn from the boys as a coping mechanism.

In contrast I think Elizabeth's father died when she was older. She was certainly closer to him (the pocket watch, talking about the telescope & his poker playing) than John was to Patrick.
        DDC

Comment

Originally posted by ddc View Post
          On John's parents, I think he and Dave were probably pretty young when their mother died. Their father could have thrown himself into his work and withdrawn from the boys as a coping mechanism.

In contrast I think Elizabeth's father died when she was older. She was certainly closer to him (the pocket watch, talking about the telescope & his poker playing) than John was to Patrick.
          That certainly does make sense. Plus John's natural reserve and discomfort with platonic hugs, etc. shows me he didn't get a lot of that when he was young.

Listen at me being a shrink phychologist. Where is Anuna when you need her?

But if you look at how he usually just dived right into non-platonic moments like in The Tower and Sanctuary, you can see what I mean. It looks like the more impersonal the physical contact was, the easier for him. But women he knew hugged him and he got that OMG-where-do-I-put-my-hands face. Add to that the way he closed his eyes and relaxed into Elizabeth's embrace and you've got a man starved for basic human contact.

*takes off studious glasses and goes back to cleaning bathrooms*
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Of course, the current topic isn't exactly fluffy... but I'll take it!

Originally posted by ddc View Post

That's how I interpret the few clues we got from the show, as well. The idea that Patrick threw himself into his work to escape from the pain of the loss of his wife certainly says that he loved her very much... no estranged marriage or extra-marital affairs here.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
            That certainly does make sense. Plus John's natural reserve and discomfort with platonic hugs, etc. shows me he didn't get a lot of that when he was young.

Listen at me being a shrink phychologist. Where is Anuna when you need her?

But if you look at how he usually just dived right into non-platonic moments like in The Tower and Sanctuary, you can see what I mean. It looks like the more impersonal the physical contact was, the easier for him. But women he knew hugged him and he got that OMG-where-do-I-put-my-hands face. Add to that the way he closed his eyes and relaxed into Elizabeth's embrace and you've got a man starved for basic human contact.

*takes off studious glasses and goes back to cleaning bathrooms*
            Heh. I think Anuna has trained us well.

That's a quite logical explanation for John's behavior to this point. And it brings up some interesting questions about what his marriage to Nancy was like, especially given that it ultimately failed.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Of course, the current topic isn't exactly fluffy... but I'll take it!

That's how I interpret the few clues we got from the show, as well. The idea that Patrick threw himself into his work to escape from the pain of the loss of his wife certainly says that he loved her very much... no estranged marriage or extra-marital affairs here.

Heh. I think Anuna has trained us well.

That's a quite logical explanation for John's behavior to this point. And it brings up some interesting questions about what his marriage to Nancy was like, especially given that it ultimately failed.
              True. And he even looked a bit stiff when Nancy hugged him. He just can't accept comfort. I think he's afraid of his own emotions. And remember in his talk with Ronon he took the blame for the failure of his marriage saying that he wasn't very good at it. It takes two darling. It wasn't all you.
              sigpic

Comment

I wish I was writing Sweir Fluff I can only dream!
                BALCONIES
                sigpic

Comment

Good Morning Spark-ites. i am so glad this semester is almost over for me. next week is finals and after that i'll be able to come on and play with you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                    Good Morning Spark-ites. i am so glad this semester is almost over for me. next week is finals and after that i'll be able to come on and play with you guys.
                    I feel your pain
                    BALCONIES
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                      I feel your pain
                      it's a real pain in the butt isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                        it's a real pain in the butt isn't it.
                        Cheyah especially a little thing I like to call Statistics. I like to pretend my Stats professor is Commander Kolya and I am Elizabeth Weir so John Sheppard could save me!
                        BALCONIES
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                          True. And he even looked a bit stiff when Nancy hugged him. He just can't accept comfort. I think he's afraid of his own emotions. And remember in his talk with Ronon he took the blame for the failure of his marriage saying that he wasn't very good at it. It takes two darling. It wasn't all you.
                          'Nuna here! *g* Well, not emotions per se, I think he's afraid of getting hurt again. I think his childhood experience, or at least part of it was - if you open up people hurt you/you lose them/ you end up alone. But I doubt that was predominant experience, because John is psychologically whole, not fractured, at least he isn't like that before Adrift/Lifeline. He opens up, but it takes time. He considers careful whom he can trust. Intimate relations are a whole another matter, though, I think there was a basic emotional lack of understanding between Nancy and him. He was away saving people and she was home alone, feeling abandoned - kind of thing. At some level he wasn't aware how much he was hurting her, and I think, when she showed her hurt, he pulled back and closed away which damaged their relationship further.

How am I doing with the shrinky stuff?
                          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
                            'Nuna here! *g* Well, not emotions per se, I think he's afraid of getting hurt again. I think his childhood experience, or at least part of it was - if you open up people hurt you/you lose them/ you end up alone. But I doubt that was predominant experience, because John is psychologically whole, not fractured, at least he isn't like that before Adrift/Lifeline. He opens up, but it takes time. He considers careful whom he can trust. Intimate relations are a whole another matter, though, I think there was a basic emotional lack of understanding between Nancy and him. He was away saving people and she was home alone, feeling abandoned - kind of thing. At some level he wasn't aware how much he was hurting her, and I think, when she showed her hurt, he pulled back and closed away which damaged their relationship further.

Sounds like you're doing great with the shrinky stuff!

I think you're right; he's been hurt before (though not to the point of being irrevocably broken), and obviously, he doesn't want to go through that again. So, he pulls back and those around him have to work to gain his trust before he lets them in. That seems like a perfectly normal reaction to me.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

As a psychology major and enthuaisist you got it right on the ball! Anything in childhood or in the past, especially with your parents can affect future relationships. The loss of his mother gave him a mentality that all the ones he love will fade away. I definitely believe the "loss" of Elizabeth definitely strengthened that.

Oh dear I am rambling again XD but I hope I make sense
                              BALCONIES
                              sigpic

Comment

I agree. Perfectly normal. Nobody is perfect and just because someone is a little emotionally stifled doesn't mean they are mentally deranged in any way. John is a product of his environment, both his home life and his marriage. I'm willing to bet Nancy understands a lot better now.

John is a typical male and is still confused about how women think. Remember in LFP when he asked Teyla "what do you want from me?"? He was genuinely confused and thought she expected him to just always rescue everyone like he had her and her people. When she replied "too much I fear" he was even more confused and never really got what she meant. (This is all aside from the basic misunderstanding of her wanting to rescue her friends and his focus on his mission.) He went through it also with the trust issues with Rodney and remember the hurt he showed when Ronon decided to leave with his friends. John gives his all and a part of him doesn't expect anything in return but another part of him expects his friends to be loyal. That goes back to his abandonment issues and it can all be tied up in a neat little bow taking into account losing his mother, daddy issues and his failed marriage. We have all that to work with. We certainly don't need to add anything else.

And now I think John needs a good hug. Unfortunately, I have to go downstairs and pretend I haven't been playing Woobies all afternoon do some stuff before Mr. SR gets home.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X