Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xkawaiix
    Omg, I was surfing through some of the threads and came across The Season 2 OPENING CREDITS!!!!!!!! in the One Minute Atlantis Season 2 Intro Thread. It may be a bit off topic but the opening is really awesome!!! They got Steve (or was it Bob?) and Carson in the credits too!!!

I just saw it to. It is beautiful! Love how they showed the city it is beautiful. And how they show everybody it is really nice, like a painting. Damn Sci-Fi Channel! I miss the music.
    Lady F

Comment

Welcome Truthlostmsr!!!
      Thank you! I've been lurking for about a week or so, but I finally decided to jump on in.
      ~Cathey~
      Nothin' crazy, nothin' fancy. Just me.

Comment

Omg, I was surfing through some of the threads and came across The Season 2 OPENING CREDITS!!!!!!!! in the One Minute Atlantis Season 2 Intro Thread. It may be a bit off topic but the opening is really awesome!!! They got Steve (or was it Bob?) and Carson in the credits too!!!
        Thank you so much for the linko! Those are beautiful. Elegant is a word I would use. Are they to run with the ep this Friday?

Thank you guys for being patient with the Simon jag I was on today. I've been ultra curious and evaluative on this since seeing it on 'Intruder'.

One last thought on this...

Spoiler:

If you listen carefully to ELizabeth's arguement to Simon in the ep, it becomes clearer what is going on underneath the surface.

S: "You are the adventurer-not me."

E: "But I'm not-or at least I wasn't...not before...The first time I stepped thru that gate, I was terrified...I knew I wasn't prepared for what I was getting into but I took a chance..."

Elizabeth was SO obviously not satisfied with her former life and this so obviously would have included her personal life. She wanted more from life...she wasn't satisfied with the day to day routine of her job, boyfriend, etc...

But wow, what does it say about her on the inside if she was self-motivated enough and willing to take this chance to find something special within her and be more than she ever dreamed she could be? She needed someone to dare her; someone to not allow her to be stagnant and satisfied. She needed someone who would look her in the eye and challenge that fire and passionate zeal inside. It's him.

John was looking for something too. He was floundering in the military...his rebellous and assertive nature was getting him into trouble even though his heart was always in the right place. His make up is that of a daredevil and a free thinker for perhaps reasons we aren't yet completely privy to. All he needed was someone to believe in him as a person and someone to push him to be his best. And someone to hold his hand and give him the freedom he needed to make a mistake and rise taller the next time. It's her.

John and Elizabeth have the inner yin/yang that great couples will always have. They complete each other. They cover the other's weaknesses and faults with strengths of their own. And they fit-well, perfectly.

To me, the biggest obstacle I can see then may just be that for either-and especially Elizabeth- to openly admit to herself that she cares too much would very likely lead to an inability to do the job that allows her the happiness she now has found in Atlantis. How hard is it to be the one to OK the man you admit you've fallen in love with to a terribly dangerous mission that he could lose his life on? How could she live with herself if such occured?

Therein lies the paradox they will face as they become more self-aware of these feelings we all see them developing. Do they take a chance and give up the venue (Atlantis) that presently gives them the joy they've found with each other with hope of finding greater happiness on earth together or do they continue to pursue the venue that brought them together and take a chance of sacrificing even greater happiness to stay safely within the parameters of the happiness they've experienced there?

Be wonderfully fun watching them pursue the answer.

I think in the end they'll make the same decision they did singularly at the beginning. But together, they'll take a newer and even more important chance on each other, accept the challenge and find the greatest happiness together that they'll ever know in their lives.

Thanks for lettin me ramble...

-Bama ; )

Comment

Welcome Truthlostmsr!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the one minute opening credits earlier today and I liked them. I still can't believe that we have that boring 10 second opening here in the U.S.
          Maybe if we're lucky the SciFi Channel will change it's mind and bring back the one minute one....crosses fingers hoping for a miracle.
          *AtlantisFan*

McKay: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.
          Sheppard: I shot him.... In the leg.

Ford: How can something as big as Atlantis just sink?
          Sheppard: I'm sure the passengers on the Titanic were asking themselves the same question?!

McKay: You're right- if only we had a magical tool that could slow down time. I foolishly left mine on Earth - did you bring yours?

McKay: I will try, but despite what you all may think, I am not Superman

Comment

Oh my God. You made my heart about stop. I think I heard music.

I had an interesting discussion with my husband tonight about the subject of Elizabeth needing to protect herself. He works for The World Bank and is a former Marine so has some connection to both worlds represented in Atlantis. People from the bank go on "missions" to all sorts of dangerous places but no self defense training is given. They depend on the embassies and law enforcement of the individual country for protection. He said he knows of no civilian group be it UN or State department or whatever that provides formal self defense training. Some people take individual classes which of course they are free to do. In relation to Elizabeth and all civilians on Atlantis he thinks they should at this point, since they have clear evidence of being in a potential life threatening situation, be given weapons and fight training so that they can protect themselves, but they should not carry firearms in the field. This would be the Colonel's job to set up classes for them. Some he might want to handle personally. I added that last part. Hah.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by truthlostmsr
              I did! I haven't started working on my assignment yet though; the bunnies haven't started biting yet.
              Hey! I just realized you delurked! I'm so use to reading you on LJ it just translated over here.

I joined the s/w ficathon but course Mel knows that already.

And instead of finsihing my two other fics I started working on I started on another fic.
              ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Bama
                Thank you so much for the linko! Those are beautiful. Elegant is a word I would use. Are they to run with the ep this Friday?

<snippy>

-Bama ; )
                Unfortunately that wonderful opening credit won't be running with the episode airings on Scifi. But they will be on the Season 2 DVDs.

At least thats my understanding of the whole shortening of the credits thing on Scifi. Since I remember at the Comic Con, someone asked one of the representatives from Scifi and he said that the shortening of the credits was to allow more episode time.
                ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                  Hey! I just realized you delurked! I'm so use to reading you on LJ it just translated over here.

I joined the s/w ficathon but course Mel knows that already.

And instead of finsihing my two other fics I started working on I started on another fic.
                  hehe I did! I figured that I wasn't going to have any better of an opportunity to do so. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on stuff, though, and by the time I go to reply, someone's already said what I wanted to, so what's why I haven't said much before now.

Yeah, I've started another fic too, sadly not my ficathon story, though.
                  ~Cathey~
                  Nothin' crazy, nothin' fancy. Just me.

Comment

hehe I did! I figured that I wasn't going to have any better of an opportunity to do so. I'm really enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on stuff, though, and by the time I go to reply, someone's already said what I wanted to, so what's why I haven't said much before now.

Yeah, I've started another fic too, sadly not my ficathon story, though.
                    My problem is that any of the stories I'm working on could be my ficathon story, since the assignment I got was pretty general.

So I think when September comes along I the fic I think is my ficathon story might be something completely different.
                    ~Athena

Comment

Geeze you people keep busy. So much to catch up on.

Blue Banrigh: you're new sig image kills me. Baby Unas!

xkawaiix: thanks for linking the new credits.

Bama: feel free to ramble all you want.

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      I'm originally from Los Angeles. The "correct" word is SODA. Get it right! *LOL*
                      Originally posted by wizengamot
                      Well you can just take your Los Angeles and stick it up... I jest, I said Soda until I moved, but pop is just so much more hip. And, well, you know me! I'm the poster child for all things hip... hhaha
                      Originally posted by Southern Red
                      Actually the real correct term is COLD DRINK with emphasis on the COLD. If you must be specific, you may say "co-cola", instead of Coca Cola or just Pepsi. You Yankees never could get it right.
                      Hip, wiz? My grandparents (Iowans) say pop. It's soda, soft drink, or here in Texas just "Coke", even if you mean Sprite or Dr. Pepper.

Originally posted by smallgirl
                      On Weir coming across as American. I can't say I'd really thought about it until a watched some clips of Siege III yesterday. It was THE SCENE with Sheppard and for obvious reasons I watched it over and over again and I suddenly started noticing Torri's Canadian accent.
                      I tried that, and her accent didn't come across as particularly anything to me. Certain sounds are Canadian, others, not so much. She certainly sounds less Canadian than the one Canadian guy on my hockey team. (We're a continent-spanning team, with a Canadian at forward, assorted Americans, and a Mexican-American goalie ).

I suspect that Weir's backstory would include lots of moving around, where she would pick up variations in her speech. I too would like to see her history explored. We know little more about her than we do about Sheppard.

a time to mourn

Comment

Thank you! I've been lurking for about a week or so, but I finally decided to jump on in.

Have we met?

Comment

Welcome truthlostmsr!

Originally posted by Southern Red
                          In relation to Elizabeth and all civilians on Atlantis he thinks they should at this point, since they have clear evidence of being in a potential life threatening situation, be given weapons and fight training so that they can protect themselves, but they should not carry firearms in the field. This would be the Colonel's job to set up classes for them.
                          Yeah, definitely.

Some he might want to handle personally. I added that last part. Hah.
                          I like that one even better!

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
                            Unfortunately that wonderful opening credit won't be running with the episode airings on Scifi. But they will be on the Season 2 DVDs.

At least thats my understanding of the whole shortening of the credits thing on Scifi. Since I remember at the Comic Con, someone asked one of the representatives from Scifi and he said that the shortening of the credits was to allow more episode time.
                            There is just no pleasing me. I complain about the non-opening opening but, once I get S.2 DVD in hand, I'll be skipping the credits to get on with the John.

I bet the new shortened credits dont add more episode time, it was actually to sell one more commercial.

Comment

That's what most people speculated when they first announced the shortening of the credits.

But the person who I got the information from, said that she actually asked the SciFi rep the question when he was hanging out at the SciFi Channel Booth and Comic Con, and that was his response. It could be an answer SciFi has made up just to appease to masses by saying the extra minutes are for episode time, when in fact it for commercial.

I guess we won't really know until the later episodes air. If those episodes are longer, then SciFi actually meant what they said, if not...I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way I still hate the shortened credits.
                              ~Athena

Comment

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe Mallozzi said (in his thread) that the extra minute was NOT going towards the episode, but was only for an extra ad. Whether that extra minute is going towards an actual revenue generating commercial, or whether it is going towards advertising SciFi's own junky movies is unknown.

I love the new Season 2 opening, just wish I could actually see it with an episode.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X