Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
    It made a lot more sense when I remembered you were an interpreter rather than a teacher per se.

As it turns out, my reaction was pretty similar to Claire's

Not just here. Yesterday I got a joking "stop it" and a finger point from the local radio announcer for a couple of things I've said on their facebook page.

Whilst I don't disagree with what you've written, i would add that sometimes the taboo isn't the smut per se (in terms of what people want to read in a fic) its the intimacy that is a problem. Sex is....mechanical. True intimacy is deeply personal, and often in fic it can be a projection of the writer, rather than the characters

Often the phrase used is "ramming it down your throat". Which always makes me think where the hell are you that this is happening? In general, I'm not a massive fan of PDA (it depends on the context - in a bar is fine), regardless of who is doing it, for reason i alluded to above - it can feel like you're invading an intimate moment

That actor is also the Captain of the Enterprise B in Star Trek Generations (the one where Kirk dies), and he was Stuart in Spin City /useless trivia hour
    I'm in your pool when it comes to use of smut. For me, it's not necessarily taboo as whether it's a part of canon or not. I've seen it used exceptionally well in film/writing. But in fanfic, I'm less comfortable when the basis is a story or show where little intimacy was revealed--that's my personal inability to fully separate actors from characters. If they haven't shown it to me, I'm not all that keen to write it.

That being said, I will admit to not being a huge fan of PDA. Too much info for me. Of course, I may be a bitter single old lady too, who simply stink-eyes other people's intimate happiness.
    Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky She-Demon View Post
      I was wondering when you'd pop up. I'm not trying to hypocritcal and I apologize if I came off that way. And I've read your smut for these two Anuna. It's good.
      When I would pop up? I'm not sure what to make of this.

We all enjoy good discussion here. I have a feeling you're confused about lots of stuff, so it's best to watch entire sparky material before jumping to conclusions. Also, it's best to think how other people might feel after reading your comments.
      I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
        When I would pop up? I'm not sure what to make of this.

We all enjoy good discussion here. I have a feeling you're confused about lots of stuff, so it's best to watch entire sparky material before jumping to conclusions. Also, it's best to think how other people might feel after reading your comments.
        "Pop up" means show up. It's a slang term. And as for the second part of your answer, I'm working on that.
        sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
        https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
          I'm in your pool when it comes to use of smut. For me, it's not necessarily taboo as whether it's a part of canon or not. I've seen it used exceptionally well in film/writing. But in fanfic, I'm less comfortable when the basis is a story or show where little intimacy was revealed--that's my personal inability to fully separate actors from characters. If they haven't shown it to me, I'm not all that keen to write it.

That being said, I will admit to not being a huge fan of PDA. Too much info for me. Of course, I may be a bitter single old lady too, who simply stink-eyes other people's intimate happiness.
          Hm - i think one of the factors here might be how much stretch of imagination we're willing/comfortable making for these kind of stories. Aka, I might be more easily convinced by chemistry between two people on screen than you. (These things are so fascinating to talk about!) I think I'm pretty easy, lol. I'm also drawn to everything about intimacy, and of course, everything or almost everything you write is at least partly your own projection. Also, when it comes to characters VS actors, I don't have lot of trouble making the distinction, especially if the actor is convincing.

But then, my mind is exceptionally dirty too.
          I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

This is one of my favorite smilies done by nolamom.

sigpichttps://www.fanfiction.net/s/7450657...-World-Goes-On Sparky story SGA https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10177037/1/Bad-Moon-Rising Teen Wolf fanfic story https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10573271/1/Skyfall Thor fanfic story
            https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1168823...here-Was-Light Crimson Peak story sig by yamiinsane

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
              Not just here. Yesterday I got a joking "stop it" and a finger point from the local radio announcer for a couple of things I've said on their facebook page.
              *snickers*

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
              Which finger? And I can imagine what you say in RL, considering the forum is PG.
              I'm not sure I want to know...
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

I've watched up to the episode "The Long Goodbye". After watching it, things began to get *really* busy for me. I am planning on watching "The Real World" tonight, before I watch the new Elementary episode.
                Wow, you missed a lot of good stuff in between those 2 also.

*raises hand* A not so bitter married lady here who is squicked out by PDA of all sorts. In RL, I don't want to know what anybody does behind closed doors. I remember once a friend trying to tell me things that made me put my fingers in my ears and sing "lalala."

I don't have trouble separating actors from characters when I don't know anything about the actor's personal life, but yeah, when I do, RL colors my opinion. Like, for example, when an actor I like on screen turns out to be dumber than a sack of hammers, I find myself skipping his/her work. I was so tickled when I first heard the long complex sentences that come out of JF's mouth, I almost did a happy dance. He's smart! He's smart! Such a rare thing in Hollyweird.

Hm - i think one of the factors here might be how much stretch of imagination we're willing/comfortable making for these kind of stories. Aka, I might be more easily convinced by chemistry between two people on screen than you. (These things are so fascinating to talk about!) I think I'm pretty easy, lol. I'm also drawn to everything about intimacy, and of course, everything or almost everything you write is at least partly your own projection. Also, when it comes to characters VS actors, I don't have lot of trouble making the distinction, especially if the actor is convincing.

I know you don't like to know about actors' real life. I admire your restraint. As I indicated above, it sometimes colors my opinion. LOL

A lot of people can't separate intimacy from sex. You can be physically involved with someone but be far from intimate. I think a lot of Sparky fic does a great job of showing intimacy between them. I usually stop reading if a fic is all about sex with no connection between them, like the ones where they just fall into bed one night and use each other only for that reason with no emotion involved. That's where I think my age and conservative views come into play.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's not recognizing chemistry. If I didn't see the chemistry, I wouldn't ship the ship. Sparky is an adult relationship, so of course intimacy would be a part of it. It's not about whether they could. It's how descriptive I, personally would get about it in fanon, and that's, perhaps, where I have my hang-up in not separating actors for characters. I didn't see it onscreen in any capacity here, so I don't translate it into writing.

In Supernatural, for example, I'd write bedroom scenes--not descriptively perhaps, but more easily than I'd write Sparky. And for True Blood fandom, I'd go all out and would expect that of fandom. And for my own personal fic, for curious minds, yes, I've imagined/written descriptive smut--because those are my characters, their bodies are mine and their actions are mine. I can be very creative. Where actors are portraying roles, though, it really sort of depends on how those actors portrayed those characters. So for me, Sparky is a little more 'buttoned up' in fanfic.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's not recognizing chemistry. If I didn't see the chemistry, I wouldn't ship the ship. Sparky is an adult relationship, so of course intimacy would be a part of it. It's not about whether they could. It's how descriptive I, personally would get about it in fanon, and that's, perhaps, where I have my hang-up in not separating actors for characters. I didn't see it onscreen in any capacity here, so I don't translate it into writing.

In Supernatural, for example, I'd write bedroom scenes--not descriptively perhaps, but more easily than I'd write Sparky. And for True Blood fandom, I'd go all out and would expect that of fandom. And for my own personal fic, for curious minds, yes, I've imagined/written descriptive smut--because those are my characters, their bodies are mine and their actions are mine. I can be very creative. Where actors are portraying roles, though, it really sort of depends on how those actors portrayed those characters. So for me, Sparky is a little more 'buttoned up' in fanfic.
                    What do you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      Wow, you missed a lot of good stuff in between those 2 also.

*raises hand* A not so bitter married lady here who is squicked out by PDA of all sorts. In RL, I don't want to know what anybody does behind closed doors. I remember once a friend trying to tell me things that made me put my fingers in my ears and sing "lalala."

I don't have trouble separating actors from characters when I don't know anything about the actor's personal life, but yeah, when I do, RL colors my opinion. Like, for example, when an actor I like on screen turns out to be dumber than a sack of hammers, I find myself skipping his/her work. I was so tickled when I first heard the long complex sentences that come out of JF's mouth, I almost did a happy dance. He's smart! He's smart! Such a rare thing in Hollyweird.

I know you don't like to know about actors' real life. I admire your restraint. As I indicated above, it sometimes colors my opinion. LOL

A lot of people can't separate intimacy from sex. You can be physically involved with someone but be far from intimate. I think a lot of Sparky fic does a great job of showing intimacy between them. I usually stop reading if a fic is all about sex with no connection between them, like the ones where they just fall into bed one night and use each other only for that reason with no emotion involved. That's where I think my age and conservative views come into play.
                      You know, part of my dealio here may be having known from an early point about Joe's happily married family life. I don't know why, that sticks in my head if I try to go outside my comfort zone with Sparky. Torri, not so much (especially because on film she's actually gone quite open with other roles) but with Joe, yeah, there's this little thing I have about him being a family man with a happy family where in Hollywood that's not terribly common. I don't know why--perhaps because I really cherish that about him and it just won't separate fully from John Sheppard and that sort of squishes the desire to be super detailed on the intimacy side? *IDK shrug*
                      Last edited by Eri13; 06 December 2012, 07:25 AM. Reason: Added last line

Comment

What do you mean by that?
                        What do you think it means? It's rather literal.

Comment

What do you think it means? It's rather literal.
                          Sorry. I'm not too good at reading stuff literally.

Comment

I like to write intimate scenes because they necessarily don't have to be of a sexual nature. You can show how close two people are without having to cross what you may deem uncomfortable lines. And Sparky is unique because we got to see how they were close onscreen even if they weren't involved in a sexual relationship. And a relationship like that is the best kind. Joe and Torri played it just right.

*bell rings*

Be back later.

Comment

I like to write intimate scenes because they necessarily don't have to be of a sexual nature. You can show how close two people are without having to cross what you may deem uncomfortable lines. And Sparky is unique because we got to see how they were close onscreen even if they weren't involved in a sexual relationship. And a relationship like that is the best kind. Joe and Torri played it just right.

*bell rings*

Be back later.
                              Now *THAT* is a good idea!

Comment

You know, part of my dealio here may be having known from an early point about Joe's happily married family life. I don't know why, that sticks in my head if I try to go outside my comfort zone with Sparky. Torri, not so much (especially because on film she's actually gone quite open with other roles) but with Joe, yeah, there's this little thing I have about him being a family man with a happy family where in Hollywood that's not terribly common. I don't know why--perhaps because I really cherish that about him and it just won't separate fully from John Sheppard and that sort of squishes the desire to be super detailed on the intimacy side? *IDK shrug*
                                I had a problem at first with that too, but then for some reason they just separated in my mind. It's hard to explain. I still have trouble watching Joe do love scenes though, knowing what you said above. But I like that he always looks so uncomfortable in them. LOL Have you seen the screencaps and/or clips from Metal Hurlant? I don't think I want to watch that. And the RPS involving him just puzzles me.

*bell rings*

Be back later.
                                Just what I said about intimacy. I think their "intimate" relationship was canon, if you take it to mean they were comfortable sharing personal info and understood each other's faults, weaknesses and thoughts. For example, he knew just how she would not want to have her life prolonged but Rodney didn't get that. That was an intimate moment between John and Elizabeth to me. And they did play it perfectly, even if they weren't thinking about romance between their characters.
                                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Working...
                                X