Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I must ask...

What the HELL are we doing on page two dammit?!?!

Need to post pictures of the Pretties...

Ahh...much better...*sigh*
    hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerLa
      Still, thank you for the continued recs. I'm bookmarking them and when I have a free moment (in January - stupid Christmas season with it's 6-day, 60-hour work weeks) I'm going to play catch up.
      Hey, i do the same. You shouls see the size of my faves list
      I totally relate. I work 7 days a week (shift work) and have to fight with my brother (game addict) and my Mum (ebay addict) to even get a look at the computer.

Woo! Go SGLAB on your 300th post

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Moomin
        Ok, I must ask...

What the HELL are we doing on page two dammit?!?!

Need to post pictures of the Pretties...

Ahh...much better...*sigh*
        How great does Torri's hair look in this pic???

Comment

How great does Torri look in this pic!!
          hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch

I actually think TPTB have done a pretty good job so far of keeping Shep and Weir's relationship consistent. What they really need to do is gradually increase the shippyness at a consistent pace that fits the show.

Good discussion all,

Royal
            Consistency is key. We have seen baby steps for 1 1/2 seasons, really a short time in view of how long the show could go on. This ship definitely has an arc. I've watched a lot of vids,(love them, they make me sigh). You see the same clips of what we consider shippy moments and some that can be interpreted however you want. The scripted IMHO moments, e.g. the birthday gift, the moment in Siege 3, and others clearly show a progression of increasing closeness be it friendship or growing attraction. I'm working on a list from S2. Does anyone have one from S1? There's a partial list at http://stargate-sg1.hu/atlantis/john...eth/shippy.php, but it seems a little incomplete. None of these moments change the plot or really draw the attention of the noromo crowd. My husband sits there waiting for the next action sequence barely noticing the little "eyebrow" moments that make me wiggle. If TPTB are doing this with a goal in mind somewhere in S4 or S5, I am perfectly willing to wait. But if they are toying with us and the Sheylas, who see "moments" of their own, then I for one will be one unhappy camper. So my wish for S2 1/2 or S3 is that they will let us know what is on Shep's mind. We don't exactly know what the boy is thinking most of the time except that he does brighten up when a pretty girl goes by. My guess is that Captain Kirk is alive and well in the Pegasus Galaxy.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
              So my wish for S2 1/2 or S3 is that they will let us know what is on Shep's mind. We don't exactly know what the boy is thinking most of the time except that he does brighten up when a pretty girl goes by. My guess is that Captain Kirk is alive and well in the Pegasus Galaxy.
              I hope TPTB don't go any further with the "Kirk" bits. Flirty guys can be fun for awhile, but they end up being rather obnoxious.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I think that was kind of the beauty of Season 1. Those of us who wanted to see it saw it, and for the most part, those who didn't want to notice anything romantic didn't. Things like The Eye were noticed by most everyone, but for the most part, the Shep/Weir aspects of Season 1 could go unnoticed.

And as for John's side, I still think we got a lot of that last year. In fact, I think a lot of the character development we saw from him last year at all was centered on his relationship with Elizabeth.
                Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                Last update: 14 April 2006
                Melyanna's Multimedia
                Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                  I hope TPTB don't go any further with the "Kirk" bits. Flirty guys can be fun for awhile, but they end up being rather obnoxious.
                  I have to agree. I didn't like Jack in SG1 flirting with nearly every women on every planet. I mean o.k men like to flirt...maybe more than women, but sometimes it's overdone in tv-Show or films. One reason why I didn't like Sanctuary very much

Comment

Oh, amen. And from the looks of it, TPTB are backing away from that kind of girlfriend-of-the-week.
                    Spoiler:
                    I know, I know, he gets to smooch at least two different girls in the back half of the season. But here's the thing: in Epiphany, he's known the girl for several months (most of a year) before she finally kisses him, and it's obvious that the point of the episode is not John meets a pretty Ancient. And to be fair to the girl, she's had visions of him delivering her people since she was a child. So this isn't just pretty boy and pretty girl decide to make out.

In The Tower, it's a little more Kirk-like, but when he finds out that the girl's there to have his babies, he sends her packing and then sits down for a chat with the man who sent her. And later in the episode, when he's already rejected her, he's all noble and offers her asylum in Atlantis when her life is in danger.

Then, of course, they bring in Weir and Beckett with knifes at their throats and John kind of forgets about the girl.
                    Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Word! I don't want Captain Kirk anywhere near the Pegasus Galaxy. I like Sheppard's fun and flirty side. I like the smiles and the puppy dog eyes when he's trying to charm people but it's just one aspect of his personality and I don't want it taking over.

I enjoyed the little moment in 'Intruder', where
                      Spoiler:
                      he said 'Ladies' whilst saying goodbye to Teyla and Weir, with that nice smile
                      . That nice kind of easy charm is appealing but having an overabundance of flirting with every female he came into contact with would so get tired.
                      ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
                      FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                        Oh, amen. And from the looks of it, TPTB are backing away from that kind of girlfriend-of-the-week.
                        Spoiler:
                        I know, I know, he gets to smooch at least two different girls in the back half of the season. But here's the thing: in Epiphany, he's known the girl for several months (most of a year) before she finally kisses him, and it's obvious that the point of the episode is not John meets a pretty Ancient. And to be fair to the girl, she's had visions of him delivering her people since she was a child. So this isn't just pretty boy and pretty girl decide to make out.

In The Tower, it's a little more Kirk-like, but when he finds out that the girl's there to have his babies, he sends her packing and then sits down for a chat with the man who sent her. And later in the episode, when he's already rejected her, he's all noble and offers her asylum in Atlantis when her life is in danger.
                        "Epiphany" doesn't sound like it will bother me in the "flirt" dept. I'm probably one of the few who kinda liked "100 Days" over on SG1. If one figures they are never going home again, it is natural, after time, to want to develop relationships in your "new" home.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

"Epiphany" doesn't sound like it will bother me in the "flirt" dept. I'm probably one of the few who kinda liked "100 Days" over on SG1. If one figures they are never going home again, it is natural, after time, to want to develop relationships in your "new" home.
                          Yeah, 100 Days didn't bother me all that much. And I think I'm really going to enjoy Epiphany. When I read the casting sides, I really liked the girl immediately. Hopefully the actress they got is more than just a pretty face.

Spoiler:
                          Forming a romantic attachment is a pretty big step toward moving on, but I don't think John actually does in this case. She instigates it, after all, and as I've said before, when that scene happens, he'd just come back from a ten-hour trek to see if there was any indication of his friends trying to find him. At that point the girl wants to know if he's forgotten his friends there. These are not the actions of a man who's given up on ever getting home.
                          Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
                            Consistency is key. We have seen baby steps for 1 1/2 seasons, really a short time in view of how long the show could go on. This ship definitely has an arc. I've watched a lot of vids,(love them, they make me sigh). You see the same clips of what we consider shippy moments and some that can be interpreted however you want. The scripted IMHO moments, e.g. the birthday gift, the moment in Siege 3, and others clearly show a progression of increasing closeness be it friendship or growing attraction. I'm working on a list from S2. Does anyone have one from S1? There's a partial list at http://stargate-sg1.hu/atlantis/john...eth/shippy.php, but it seems a little incomplete. None of these moments change the plot or really draw the attention of the noromo crowd. My husband sits there waiting for the next action sequence barely noticing the little "eyebrow" moments that make me wiggle. If TPTB are doing this with a goal in mind somewhere in S4 or S5, I am perfectly willing to wait. But if they are toying with us and the Sheylas, who see "moments" of their own, then I for one will be one unhappy camper. So my wish for S2 1/2 or S3 is that they will let us know what is on Shep's mind. We don't exactly know what the boy is thinking most of the time except that he does brighten up when a pretty girl goes by. My guess is that Captain Kirk is alive and well in the Pegasus Galaxy.
                            Good post. I think in a sci-fi series, it's important not to be 'over the top' with the 'showing'. I think as much as anything, that's why I despised Sanctuary and don't enjoy other Kirk eps. Of course, they're anti-shipper but besides that point, they just cheapen a character. At least with Elizabeth, they gave her a long-term relationship to deal with. Babes of the week episodes just have no point to them in any real character-building way that I can see other than to show that said 'male' or 'female' has a sex drive and is interested in the opposite sex. And we already assume that anyway. A babe of the week ep hardly ever has lasting reprecussions for the character. I mean, just *how* has that chick affected shep since? Uh...NADA. Nothing. Meaningless. Never been referred to again. At least with slow building relationships amongst the regulars, the romantic aspect is believable and has a feeling of realism when/if it does eventually come about. The characters obviously think on their actions and they think on their feelings. And that slow process 'thinking' and 'feeling' is so dadgum much more important and meaningful than any episode that highlights simply sexual desire any day of the week.
                            Last edited by Bama; 08 November 2005, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Yeah, 100 Days didn't bother me all that much. And I think I'm really going to enjoy Epiphany. When I read the casting sides, I really liked the girl immediately. Hopefully the actress they got is more than just a pretty face.

Spoiler:
                              Forming a romantic attachment is a pretty big step toward moving on, but I don't think John actually does in this case. She instigates it, after all, and as I've said before, when that scene happens, he'd just come back from a ten-hour trek to see if there was any indication of his friends trying to find him. At that point the girl wants to know if he's forgotten his friends there. These are not the actions of a man who's given up on ever getting home.
                              Yep, I'm looking forward to Epiphany also. In the spoiler pics here http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/2x5.shtml#images the girl looks really sweet and "normal" looking.

I was thinking about the epiphany aspect of Epiphany.
                              Spoiler:
                              I wonder if the epiphany he has centers around his reminiscences of Atlantis-home and the trouble in Afghanistan with thoughts of his "no man left behind" credo. After a year he must be wondering if they have given up on him. He's trying to save these new people from whatever is in the woods, doing the same sort of thing he was doing with the "Lantians. Does he have a "here we go again John Sheppard against the world" moment and realize that no, you can't save everybody? Because when he gets rescued, what happens to his new friends? And if he leaves them like he found them, what effect will this have on him? Or will they just drop another loose thread like they always do? Inquiring minds want to know.
                              But inquiring minds have to wait.
                              sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I think that was kind of the beauty of Season 1. Those of us who wanted to see it saw it, and for the most part, those who didn't want to notice anything romantic didn't. Things like The Eye were noticed by most everyone, but for the most part, the Shep/Weir aspects of Season 1 could go unnoticed.

And as for John's side, I still think we got a lot of that last year. In fact, I think a lot of the character development we saw from him last year at all was centered on his relationship with Elizabeth.
                                Ah Melyanna you are making me all swoony & melty thinking of S.1! Can't wait for my DVD's!

Comment

Working...
                                X