Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    Not a surprise; we've known that for years.
    And yet in true double-speak style, he managed to write some of the sparkiest dialogue ever

*snorts* That's got to be the understatement of the decade. He really doesn't have any people skills. At all.
    Well, I didn't want to say that back in the day I thought he was a complete...........I cannot say the word here.

Looking back, I think the problem was that while he knew he was writing stuff (on his blog) that would make people read it, he didn't think about how that might affect the wider fanbase. His attitude at the time was typical: write an episode, any episode, and stargate fans will watch it. They'll moan about it, but they'll still watch it.

Whilst there's an element of truth to it, it doesn't take into account how that affects things further down the line. If something is consistently subpar, people will delay watching it, so much so that when they actually do watch it, they don't count in ratings figures.

Anyway, I'm signing off for the next couple of days for my annual trip to Comic-Con in San Diego. Might be able to pop onto the board and say hi; we'll see what kind of time I have with all the panels I'm seeing this year.

So, have fun while I'm gone, and try not to burn down the forum, LOL!
    Hope you have a great time
    Last edited by gateraid; 12 July 2012, 10:07 PM. Reason: affect/effect. did I get the wrong one? only time will tell, stay tuned for details
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
      oh just you wait. btw does anyone think this might have made an excellent SGA episode?
      I think it would have made a great episode!!
      I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

*snorts* That's got to be the understatement of the decade. He really doesn't have any people skills. At all.

Anyway, I'm signing off for the next couple of days for my annual trip to Comic-Con in San Diego. Might be able to pop onto the board and say hi; we'll see what kind of time I have with all the panels I'm seeing this year.

Have fun, SK!!!
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
          Word of warning - don't read Joe's blog today...he's NOT a Sparky
          We've always known that. He's always been negative to us.

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
          Not completely asleep, yet. I'm vid reccing myself!

Now I'm going to sleep! Hopefully ...
          That was great and may I say the perfect song? One of the few Taylor Swift songs I can get all the way through.

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
          Yep, that's the old Joe double-speak right there. He's a good writer, he just shouldn't have been allowed to interact with the fanbase in the manner that he did
          Or at least he should learn to think about how his words may hurt. You used affect correctly BTW.

It's cruel the way he is teasing shippers. No respect for the fanbase.

Have fun storming the con!
          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Well, I didn't want to say that back in the day I thought he was a complete...........I cannot say the word here.
            Can I say the word for you? I will try. This writer is a "faquin". Not the man but the writer with the fanbase.
            It's a not a big risk. Very old insult in french. Ok it's not really an insult but it's the good word for him.
            I can't translate it because I will have troubles.lol BTW, The english translation doesn't have the same definition.

Time to read some Sparky fanfics.
            sigpic
            Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

*drops in quickly*

Hey, everybody!

SK, you and Kris have fun at ComicCon!

Thank you, SR! I know you're not a Taylor Swift fan, so I'm glad that the song is Sparky all the way.

I second SR's findings, gateraid. You used affect right. Interestingly, the American Sign Language motion for affect/effect is the same.

Riding to Orlando at the moment. Sounds like a good opportunity to write some fic on my iPod Touch.

Be back later!

*zips out*

Comment

And July's Theme has kicked in! Eureka!

Hmm, "Damage Control Officer". Sounds like a fancy title for Jack Carter.

Comment

I am Andy's programmer! Oh how Mr. SR will laugh at that.
                  sigpic

Comment

I hate to tell you, JM, but you didn't give me definitive proof in FIVE years that those two characters were in love with each other. Romance!FAIL Thanks for the good laugh.

Still see the Sparky though.

*takes off rose-colored glasses*

Yep, still there.
                    sigpic
                    sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                      Word of warning - don't read Joe's blog today...he's NOT a Sparky
                      He's not much of anything.

OMG, talk about insulting the fan base!
                      Insulting the fanbase is a hobby of his. It's an artform he mastered to perfection.

Word.

Have fun! Say hi to Kris!

*attempts to douse the small fire she'd just set*

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                      I am Andy's programmer! Oh how Mr. SR will laugh at that.
                      Plus you're in SARAH's maid service.

LOOK AT ME - the Lemming is Head of GD!! And holds the key to the Artifact!

This'll be interesting!
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                        I hate to tell you, JM, but you didn't give me definitive proof in FIVE years that those two characters were in love with each other. Romance!FAIL Thanks for the good laugh.

Still see the Sparky though.

*takes off rose-colored glasses*

Yep, still there.
                        One thing you have to always do is parse anything JM says very carefully. He didn't come out in favor of that ship. He just talked about how certain scenes could be interpreted, and he knows good and well that they were viewed in different ways. He also said earlier that he's going to explain when he gets to S4 why they dropped the idea. He is deliberately toying with those shippers in a very cruel way.
                        sigpic

Comment

He is deliberately toying with those shippers in a very cruel way.
                          Again, an artform he has mastered to perfection much to the detriment of his character.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Wasn't Carl binder the leader sparky writer? And sweet in jack carter from eureka. Sheriff of eureka but you guys know I meant.

Comment

Hello everyone!

First Scary Kitty, have a great time comic-con.

Thank!

And I mean, "Irresistible" made me laugh quite a bit. There are some very funny scenes in there. And yeah, there are definitely some episodes that only got 1/2 star, but I couldn't think of any others during S1-3.
                              “Irresistible’ really is one of those episodes that you never really know how to take, it was a pretty funny and lighthearted episode and you do need them every once in a while but yeah, had it been replaced with another episode it wouldn’t have been missed.

btw my story takes place between "The Intruder" and "Runner".
                              I figured that since there was no Ronan or Ford but thanks for letting us know, I’m still very curies to find out how things will turn out.

Originally posted by TheLadyMore View Post
                              I didnt like Irresponsible though. Mainly for the joke of the way they took off Kolya. I would have liked to see him for a couple more seasons before going down either in an epic battle either caused by a great escape from John or a dashing rescue for his fair Elizabeth. Or despite the fact it would of been out of character Elizabeth taking out Kolya to save John. (I'm a sucker for girl saves boy motifs)
                              I’m with you on that, I do feel like they could have done more with the Kolya story line (heck, I’m one of those people who feel like they could have skipped the replicator story line all together since they had already done that on SG-1, and I did feel like they had enough bad guys in the Pegasus Galaxy so that they didn’t have to bring those over as well but maybe that’s just me), anyway, I did think that they could have used Kolya and the Genii more along with many other people out there who they pissed of but who later seem to have forgotten Atlantis. I guess one way would have been that he was actually alive in ‘Remnants’ and that they would have him die there (or an episode similar to it, and maybe have Elizabeth rescue him because I dunno why but it felt a bit like Kolya was John and Elizabeth’s enemy mostly, he seem to be after them more than anyone else and it would have been nice if they got rid of him together).

Originally posted by ShWeir View Post
                              Hi Sparkies! Even at 02:30 I'm still hyper! I just watched 'The Long Goodbye'. Who in this forum hasn't watched that episode and thought I bet John and Liz were really incontrol then but took their perfect chance to kiss in public! Or was that just me?
                              Haha, yeah, or at least John since at least he was aware of the fact that they were married and Elizabeth/Phoebus did say that she wished to say goodbye (and anyone can figure out what that meant) and he still agreed on it so he on at least some level must have wanted it or leat not minded it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Yep, that's the old Joe double-speak right there. He's a good writer, he just shouldn't have been allowed to interact with the fanbase in the manner that he did
                                Haha, yupp, I have noticed that.

We've always known that. He's always been negative to us.
                                Or at least he should learn to think about how his words may hurt. You used affect correctly BTW.
                                It's cruel the way he is teasing shippers. No respect for the fanbase.
                                It think there’s a reason why so few show and movie creators have so little contact with the fanbase as possible, I mean yeah they may have blogs or twitter etc. but they usually don’t have comment sections or at least they don’t pay attention to them and especially don’t go as far as he is, especially when the show have been over from over 3 years and we all know what happens and more important what did not happened. And besides the fanbases are as different as the people in them are and everyone sees different things when they watch a show or a movie and there really isn’t anything that is right and/or wrong (especially when you don’t establish something on the show then you can’t come and whine about it afterwards).

And yet in true double-speak style, he managed to write some of the sparkiest dialogue ever

Looking back, I think the problem was that while he knew he was writing stuff (on his blog) that would make people read it, he didn't think about how that might affect the wider fanbase. His attitude at the time was typical: write an episode, any episode, and stargate fans will watch it. They'll moan about it, but they'll still watch it.

Whilst there's an element of truth to it, it doesn't take into account how that affects things further down the line. If something is consistently subpar, people will delay watching it, so much so that when they actually do watch it, they don't count in ratings figures.
                                ^ This, thanks gateraid.

Wasn't Carl binder the leader sparky writer? And sweet in jack carter from eureka. Sheriff of eureka but you guys know I meant.
                                We don’t know what Binder’s thoughts were but whatever it is I love it, he is also someone who had a lot of experience writing more mature relationships especially since his days working on ‘Doctor Quinn’ (he is also the writers who put the most focus on the SGA ladies and I think all of the episodes where the women were the main focus were written by him).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X