Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    If it's a chocolate chip cookie, then I'm in! Go Hokies!
    Woo hoo! As I said on Twitter, welcome to the Hokie nation. It's halftime and we're ahead 38-0. You picked a good team.
    sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
      Woo hoo! As I said on Twitter, welcome to the Hokie nation. It's halftime and we're ahead 38-0. You picked a good team.
      Ouch, a slaughter.

Go Hokies!

Comment

Good afternoon, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams today! My USC Trojans are playing Minnesota today; at halftime, the score is USC 19, Minnesota 3.

As to the favored teams in Atlantis, I always figured the military members root for their service's academy team (even if they never attended the academy themselves, which seems to be the case with John). And whatever other teams they like, of course. Good times!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

The Most Humorous Moments in Stargate Atlantis have been counted:

1. Sheppard's "I shot him. In the leg" - Hide and Seek (3)
          2. John and Carson when John slaps him and says "buck up, Carson" - Irresistible (3)
          3. John apologizing for "Shooting Everyone" - Phantoms (2)
          4. John begs Elizabeth to try the ascension machine - Tao of Rodney (2)
          5. Radek's new look - Critical Mass (2)
          6. 'Would you like us to bring back anything special' - Suspicion
          7. Sheppard offering everyone's services (Weir: Oh,he has, huh? -- Sheppard: He..... will.) - Poisoning the Well.
          8. Sheppard and Weir discussing leaving Atlantis ('You're right, it's all down hill from here, you've peaked') - The Return I
          9. 'The Kiss' between Mckay (Cadman)/Beckett - Duet
          10. Sheppard throwing McKay off the balcony - Hide and Seek.
          11. Rodney getting shot in his gluteus maximus (OMG, that's my ass!) - Sateda
          12. John telling Elizabeth that she's buying dinner and her calling him "cheeky" - The Return I
          13. John and Elizabeth talking about his promotion - The Intruder
          14. Sheppard and Weir discussing Ronon - Duet
          15. Elizabeth charming Dr. Lee - The Return I
          16. "You're a good friend, Arthur" remark by Rodney to John - The Shrine
          17. Ronon's one-armed golf-swing and Sheppard's feeble attempt at copying it - Sunday
          18. Teyla kicking Ronon's ass for falling asleep - Echoes

It was almost going to be a case of "everybody chose a different moment" but in the end a few prevailed with multiple votes.

Next up Most Heroic Moments in Stargate Atlantis. Same rules applies, 5 choices - 2 non-sparky ones. Deadline will be next saturday.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

OMG, I can't believe more people didn't pick the 'gluteus maximus' moment! I would have, if I'd submitted an entry. But I am so getting in on the Heroic Moments poll. That's gonna be an awesome one!
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
              OMG, I can't believe more people didn't pick the 'gluteus maximus' moment! I would have, if I'd submitted an entry. But I am so getting in on the Heroic Moments poll. That's gonna be an awesome one!
              The gluteus maximus part is my absolute favorite! I actually wrote a fic if John was shot in the pretty behind instead of Rodney.
              BALCONIES
              The Breeding Ground of Ships.
              sigpic

Comment

It was on my honorable mention list. This was the first one where I had a hard time deciding.

Um, SK, you WILL participate in the next one!

Comment

I can't believe I forgot that one. *shame* And after reading the list, i thought of a couple more, but now I can't remember what they are. Stupid brain. But what do we get from this exercise? In my case, it made me remember what an awesome show this could be. When the writing was good, it was very very good. And when they went "dark" and put in less humor, they made the biggest mistake ever.

From a purely Sparky standpoint thought, they never stopped being consistent. The relationship between John and Elizabeth only got closer and even after she was gone we got consistent affirmation of the connection between them. Nobody ever came between them and we didn't have to look for Sparky moments or blow things out of proportion to prove they were close. They just were. The wuv twoo wuv part was up for interpretation, but at least the solid friendship was clear.
                  sigpic

Comment

I can't believe I forgot that one. *shame* And after reading the list, i thought of a couple more, but now I can't remember what they are. Stupid brain. But what do we get from this exercise? In my case, it made me remember what an awesome show this could be. When the writing was good, it was very very good. And when they went "dark" and put in less humor, they made the biggest mistake ever.
                    Absolutely. If I want to watch "dark" then I'll watch BSG. That's not what I watched Atlantis for. Sure, there are dark moments in S1-3 but then there were moments of levity even in the darkest of times. At the end of The Eye, you had John puffing out his chest and flirting with Elizabeth, for example.

From a purely Sparky standpoint thought, they never stopped being consistent. The relationship between John and Elizabeth only got closer and even after she was gone we got consistent affirmation of the connection between them. Nobody ever came between them and we didn't have to look for Sparky moments or blow things out of proportion to prove they were close. They just were. The wuv twoo wuv part was up for interpretation, but at least the solid friendship was clear.
                    Indeed. There's a wonderful progression of their relationship throughout the seasons. And each of their characters grew from learning from each other. John becomes more deliberate while Elizabeth becomes more confident.

We even have the Vegas parallelism on our side. Hmm... Vegas. Must watch that soon.

Comment

Absolutely. If I want to watch "dark" then I'll watch BSG. That's not what I watched Atlantis for. Sure, there are dark moments in S1-3 but then there were moments of levity even in the darkest of times. At the end of The Eye, you had John puffing out his chest and flirting with Elizabeth, for example.

Indeed. There's a wonderful progression of their relationship throughout the seasons. And each of their characters grew from learning from each other. John becomes more deliberate while Elizabeth becomes more confident.

We even have the Vegas parallelism on our side. Hmm... Vegas. Must watch that soon.
                      Exactly, even Carter thought so. Remember in whatever ep it was in S4, when she told him being in Weir's old office made him more diplomatic, or some such? *come on brain*

Ah...Vegas....say it loud and there's music playing...say it soft and it's....*dies laughing* And the music in that one. Why didn't we have music all along, dang it? More Johnny Cash! Who could object to that? Oh, wait...I guess the budget wouldn't allow for those huge payments for royalties. Oh well.

I watched DV last week and am still mad that we didn't find out who was in charge in that universe with the other John. He sounded way too relaxed. It had to be Elizabeth to make him sound that content. After she was gone, our John never seemed to have another light hearted day. About DV. I like that one for the team interaction, even though I think the call for more team eps is overblown. They all related to each other exactly right. The only objection I had was the John/Rodney snark had too much of an edge. The humor of the old days was missing. It was like they were going through the motions with no feeling behind it. And this was way before they knew about the cancellation. John's face just never relaxed even once.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        The Most Humorous Moments in Stargate Atlantis have been counted:

1. Sheppard's "I shot him. In the leg" - Hide and Seek (3)
                        2. John and Carson when John slaps him and says "buck up, Carson" - Irresistible (3)
                        3. John apologizing for "Shooting Everyone" - Phantoms (2)
                        4. John begs Elizabeth to try the ascension machine - Tao of Rodney (2)
                        5. Radek's new look - Critical Mass (2)
                        6. 'Would you like us to bring back anything special' - Suspicion
                        7. Sheppard offering everyone's services (Weir: Oh,he has, huh? -- Sheppard: He..... will.) - Poisoning the Well.
                        8. Sheppard and Weir discussing leaving Atlantis ('You're right, it's all down hill from here, you've peaked') - The Return I
                        9. 'The Kiss' between Mckay (Cadman)/Beckett - Duet
                        10. Sheppard throwing McKay off the balcony - Hide and Seek.
                        11. Rodney getting shot in his gluteus maximus (OMG, that's my ass!) - Sateda
                        12. John telling Elizabeth that she's buying dinner and her calling him "cheeky" - The Return I
                        13. John and Elizabeth talking about his promotion - The Intruder
                        14. Sheppard and Weir discussing Ronon - Duet
                        15. Elizabeth charming Dr. Lee - The Return I
                        16. "You're a good friend, Arthur" remark by Rodney to John - The Shrine
                        17. Ronon's one-armed golf-swing and Sheppard's feeble attempt at copying it - Sunday
                        18. Teyla kicking Ronon's ass for falling asleep - Echoes

It was almost going to be a case of "everybody chose a different moment" but in the end a few prevailed with multiple votes.

Next up Most Heroic Moments in Stargate Atlantis. Same rules applies, 5 choices - 2 non-sparky ones. Deadline will be next saturday.
                        I forgot again. Buck up Carson is one my favorites though. Elizabeth with Dr. Lee is pretty funny too. I would have added the jumper ride at the beginning of Submersion, Carson teasing Elizabeth about her hot date, and the conversation between John, Elizabeth and Rodney in Echoes where Rodney tells them about Sam the whale (dabble away boys!).

And Iowa won yesterday in spite of being evacuated for an hour in the middle of the game. First time Kinnick Stadium has ever been evacuated. Go Hawks!
                        sigpic
                        sig by SueKay

My Team:

Comment

Good evening, Sparkies! Hope you've all had a pleasant Lazy Sunday! And sheesh, it's about time GW came back online!

Um, SK, you WILL participate in the next one!
                          I was busy this past week with the Great Boudoir Remodel. Heck, I only turned my computer on once... the rest of the time, I was on my iPad.

Exactly, even Carter thought so. Remember in whatever ep it was in S4, when she told him being in Weir's old office made him more diplomatic, or some such? *come on brain*
                          Was it The Seer?

I watched DV last week and am still mad that we didn't find out who was in charge in that universe with the other John. He sounded way too relaxed. It had to be Elizabeth to make him sound that content. After she was gone, our John never seemed to have another light hearted day. About DV. I like that one for the team interaction, even though I think the call for more team eps is overblown. They all related to each other exactly right. The only objection I had was the John/Rodney snark had too much of an edge. The humor of the old days was missing. It was like they were going through the motions with no feeling behind it. And this was way before they knew about the cancellation. John's face just never relaxed even once.
                          Yeah, I think the overemphasis on the John vs. Rodney snark came about from the loss of Elizabeth. She balanced the rest of the characters so well. It's no wonder I keep calling her the Heart of Atlantis.

Originally posted by Irish Eyes View Post
                          I forgot again. Buck up Carson is one my favorites though. Elizabeth with Dr. Lee is pretty funny too. I would have added the jumper ride at the beginning of Submersion, Carson teasing Elizabeth about her hot date, and the conversation between John, Elizabeth and Rodney in Echoes where Rodney tells them about Sam the whale (dabble away boys!).
                          And of course, John's line about whether or not the whales were good eating.

And Iowa won yesterday in spite of being evacuated for an hour in the middle of the game. First time Kinnick Stadium has ever been evacuated. Go Hawks!
                          Yay! Congrats on the win in the face of nasty weather!

Comment

I was just posting in a thread about This Mortal Coil a second ago about why clone Elizabeth stayed with clone John instead of going back to Atlantis with other John. But I just realized as I did so that the entire situation also kinda reminded me of Farscape again and I remembered that Sparky/Farscape connection conversations from earlier in the thread. It would have been interesting if the clones had survived. If the Puddle Jumper had escaped it sort of would have been similar to the end of the episode Green Eyed Monster.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good evening, Sparkies! Hope you've all had a pleasant Lazy Sunday! And sheesh, it's about time GW came back online!
                              Amen, sister. I had withdrawal symptoms all day yesterday.

Was it The Seer?
                              Probably, that sounds about right.

Yeah, I think the overemphasis on the John vs. Rodney snark came about from the loss of Elizabeth. She balanced the rest of the characters so well. It's no wonder I keep calling her the Heart of Atlantis.
                              It wasn't so much that it was overemphasized. It was just that, as you said, the heart was gone out of it. There was always comedy in the snarking before, but S5, in particular, lost a lot of that. John was so much crankier and Rodney so much more impatient. Or at least it seemed so to me. Their tempering agent was missing, and they just seemed to be going through the motions.

Yay! Congrats on the win in the face of nasty weather!
                              And congrats on your win also.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                              I was just posting in a thread about This Mortal Coil a second ago about why clone Elizabeth stayed with clone John instead of going back to Atlantis with other John. But I just realized as I did so that the entire situation also kinda reminded me of Farscape again and I remembered that Sparky/Farscape connection conversations from earlier in the thread. It would have been interesting if the clones had survived. If the Puddle Jumper had escaped it sort of would have been similar to the end of the episode Green Eyed Monster.
                              There were so many Farscape parallels with this show. I would have loved to have seen an episode where the clones survived. This being Sci Fi, it could have been done.
                              sigpic

Comment

Hey, GateWorld is actually up and running! Happy Labor Day to the Americans. I'm celebrating by doing zero labor. Well, unless laundry counts as labor.

I'm pretty sure it was Doppelganger. John said maybe they could try to reason with the crystal entity and Sam remarks that being in Dr. Weir's old office made him think of that. Way to twist the knife, Sam.

I am restarting my S4/5 rewatch, getting to all the ones I skipped initially. I'll get to that one soon. This weekend I watched Tabula Rasa and Harmony. Tabula Rasa was just as forgettable as I initially recall. It was fine, but felt pretty pointless. The best part was Ronon shooting John and saying something like "that never gets old". It was yet another example of episodes that would have benefitted from having Carson and Elizabeth there instead of Keller and Sam. Think of Carson telling John about Elizabeth's condition in Adrift, or Elizabeth giving the speech about Kate in Doppelganger. Both those situations would have been made better by the mere fact that these characters had 3 years of history. Likewise, I think Tabula Rasa would have been made more interesting with Carson and Elizabeth there because of their histories with all the other characters. As for Harmony, it actually was more enjoyable than I remembered. The girl was obnoxious, yes, but John was great. He was definitely thinking of Elizabeth with his speech about being a good leader. That whole bit about having to do what is best for others instead of yourself just reeked of Lizzie. ETA: I just realized something. In Tabula Rasa, Rodney is all supportive boyfriend then in Harmony he's calling "dibs" on the third sister. Huh?!

Go Iowa!!

I was busy this past week with the Great Boudoir Remodel. Heck, I only turned my computer on once... the rest of the time, I was on my iPad.
                                Is it all done? Must be lovely!

Exactly! Stupid PTW. I've said in other threads that John and Rodney suffered the most from the losses of Carson and Elizabeth.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                                It would have been VERY interesting to have the clones survive. Heck, maybe they did. That could have been a stun weapon that Clone!John got hit with. It showed the short-sightedness of TPTW that they created these clones and then got rid of them in the very same episode. So much wasted potential.

It wasn't so much that it was overemphasized. It was just that, as you said, the heart was gone out of it. There was always comedy in the snarking before, but S5, in particular, lost a lot of that. John was so much crankier and Rodney so much more impatient. Or at least it seemed so to me. Their tempering agent was missing, and they just seemed to be going through the motions.
                                John seemed to be going through the motions on pretty much everything by S5.
                                Last edited by JT-2; 05 September 2011, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X