No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey so I finally managed to pick up a copy of Season 5 last week. It's pretty sweet. I've been watching really quite a lot of episodes in all 5 seasons over the last while now.

Anyway, I'd just managed to rewatch Ghost in the Machine earlier today. It had been a while so I thought I'd see what the passage of time would give me any new perspective.

I'd built the significance of this episode up a lot in my mind and it really felt important while watching it. Even before any important things happened. I knew Michelle Morgan did a really great job but I'd almost forgotten just how good it was. Sometimes she even seemed to get Torri's accent down almost perfectly. I still liked the episode overall. Even the little parts of Elizabeth's awkward interaction with the team felt like they added to the sort of atmosphere that made me feel like I was really watching a tragedy unfold. The music helped a lot in certain points. I'd even forgot about some of Woolsey's cool parts. There were a lot of really good little touches throughout. It was still a very powerful episode. I feel like it succeeds at creating another critical moment in John's development like the Season 4 openers did.

But man, you guys are right about one thing. The ending really felt like bull. I suppose I already knew that, but I'd been a while so I hadn't really thought about it specifically. It sorta hit me all over again. The final shot of her floating into space was just.... it didn't feel right. Still I realized afterward that once again, it wasn't so much the end of the episode that bothered me, it was that the ending of the episode WAS the end, of everything. I'd say that character deserved better but then maybe I should be grateful they even showed that whole thing on-screen. Instead of blogging about it 2 years after the fact.

I realize that many of you hated the episode because of what it did to Elizabeth's character and that's understandable. But that didn't bother me so much because I felt that part at least was explainable. After all the things she went through, she's not quite the same person she was before. After all, many (including me, sort of) kind of expected her to reappear as a villain under replicator mind control after BAMSR. Elizabeth being different was sort of what I expected to see.

But this wasn't quite the same but the basic principle was still true. In this case though she wasn't a friend or an enemy so the question of whether "true Elizabeth," so to speak, was still in her was more uncertain. Which in it's own way is actually more interesting.

The one thing that I didn't really get was exactly why Elizabeth would have been so apparently suicidal. I get that she wanted to protect Atlantis. And I can see that John's "You may still think you're Elizabeth, but you're not" would have prompted her into action. I can even see that maybe this was the type of mistake she might conceivably make: it was an overreaction, but one that involved sacrificing herself to save Atlantis.

But in this specific case, why would she be so eager to go offline indefinitely? If she knows she might be a threat why couldn't she just have just "not done what she was afraid of doing" instead of launching herself into space. I guess it could relate back to her being self aware of my earlier point about her not being the same Elizabeth but still: Not exactly a passable reason yet in my mind. and the fact that she didn't want to be rescued is really the only reason that I'd buy about them not going to get her afterward. I do understand the danger the replicators posed and that was the reason for all the tension in the episode but it kind of felt like they sort of lost their way writing at the end. Perhaps due to the last minute rewrites. I think I understand better than ever why Torri didn't want to return to do it.

I never thought that was made clear. In fact neither her's nor the other replicators' exact intentions were made enough. I suppose I could ask on Mallozzi's blog or something. I imagine it was mostly their way of getting the character out of the way but I wonder if they'll be able to provide an answer in universe that works any small way at all.

The final question I think for me would be: when Elizabeth had her final scene with the gang in Woolsey's office, it was there she suggested the plan. And she essentially had her final moment of retrospection with her friends. "When you first reactivated the nanites in me, I said this was a bad idea. So much has gone wrong since then. But I think I finally know how to make this right." The bitter irony of that is that she didn't really make them right in the end. It wasn't better for her, it wasn't better for the replicators and it wasn't better for Atlantis, or at least for John. But I think it was her way of proving to them and especially John it was really her.

What I want to know is that if TPTB wanted us to believe that she actually was putting things right or that it was an intentional bitter irony. Because so much of this episode seems like a brilliantly executed piece of tragic irony and so much of seems like a clumsy attempt to close the story that accidentally ended up working much better than it really had any right to. Probably a little bit of both really. Almost feels kind of like perfect metaphor for the whole show sometimes really. You could always somehow find all the best things right next to the worst parts. Particularly in Season 5.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
      Hey so I finally managed to pick up a copy of Season 5 last week. It's pretty sweet. I've been watching really quite a lot of episodes in all 5 seasons over the last while now.

Spoiler:
      Anyway, I'd just managed to rewatch Ghost in the Machine earlier today. It had been a while so I thought I'd see what the passage of time would give me any new perspective.

I'd built the significance of this episode up a lot in my mind and it really felt important while watching it. Even before any important things happened. I knew Michelle Morgan did a really great job but I'd almost forgotten just how good it was. Sometimes she even seemed to get Torri's accent down almost perfectly. I still liked the episode overall. Even the little parts of Elizabeth's awkward interaction with the team felt like they added to the sort of atmosphere that made me feel like I was really watching a tragedy unfold. The music helped a lot in certain points. I'd even forgot about some of Woolsey's cool parts. There were a lot of really good little touches throughout. It was still a very powerful episode. I feel like it succeeds at creating another critical moment in John's development like the Season 4 openers did.

But man, you guys are right about one thing. The ending really felt like bull. I suppose I already knew that, but I'd been a while so I hadn't really thought about it specifically. It sorta hit me all over again. The final shot of her floating into space was just.... it didn't feel right. Still I realized afterward that once again, it wasn't so much the end of the episode that bothered me, it was that the ending of the episode WAS the end, of everything. I'd say that character deserved better but then maybe I should be grateful they even showed that whole thing on-screen. Instead of blogging about it 2 years after the fact.

I realize that many of you hated the episode because of what it did to Elizabeth's character and that's understandable. But that didn't bother me so much because I felt that part at least was explainable. After all the things she went through, she's not quite the same person she was before. After all, many (including me, sort of) kind of expected her to reappear as a villain under replicator mind control after BAMSR. Elizabeth being different was sort of what I expected to see.

But this wasn't quite the same but the basic principle was still true. In this case though she wasn't a friend or an enemy so the question of whether "true Elizabeth," so to speak, was still in her was more uncertain. Which in it's own way is actually more interesting.

The one thing that I didn't really get was exactly why Elizabeth would have been so apparently suicidal. I get that she wanted to protect Atlantis. And I can see that John's "You may still think you're Elizabeth, but you're not" would have prompted her into action. I can even see that maybe this was the type of mistake she might conceivably make: it was an overreaction, but one that involved sacrificing herself to save Atlantis.

But in this specific case, why would she be so eager to go offline indefinitely? If she knows she might be a threat why couldn't she just have just "not done what she was afraid of doing" instead of launching herself into space. I guess it could relate back to her being self aware of my earlier point about her not being the same Elizabeth but still: Not exactly a passable reason yet in my mind. and the fact that she didn't want to be rescued is really the only reason that I'd buy about them not going to get her afterward. I do understand the danger the replicators posed and that was the reason for all the tension in the episode but it kind of felt like they sort of lost their way writing at the end. Perhaps due to the last minute rewrites. I think I understand better than ever why Torri didn't want to return to do it.

I never thought that was made clear. In fact neither her's nor the other replicators' exact intentions were made enough. I suppose I could ask on Mallozzi's blog or something. I imagine it was mostly their way of getting the character out of the way but I wonder if they'll be able to provide an answer in universe that works any small way at all.

The final question I think for me would be: when Elizabeth had her final scene with the gang in Woolsey's office, it was there she suggested the plan. And she essentially had her final moment of retrospection with her friends. "When you first reactivated the nanites in me, I said this was a bad idea. So much has gone wrong since then. But I think I finally know how to make this right." The bitter irony of that is that she didn't really make them right in the end. It wasn't better for her, it wasn't better for the replicators and it wasn't better for Atlantis, or at least for John. But I think it was her way of proving to them and especially John it was really her.

What I want to know is that if TPTB wanted us to believe that she actually was putting things right or that it was an intentional bitter irony. Because so much of this episode seems like a brilliantly executed piece of tragic irony and so much of seems like a clumsy attempt to close the story that accidentally ended up working much better than it really had any right to. Probably a little bit of both really. Almost feels kind of like perfect metaphor for the whole show sometimes really. You could always somehow find all the best things right next to the worst parts. Particularly in Season 5.
      I am one of those who didn't hate GITM; it was sad that it was only one episode and of course I hated what happened to the Elizabeth character, but I didn't 'hate' much about it because it reinforced for me Elizabeth's importance to the people of Atlantis. And I can say that even more confidently having finally watched the final season.

As to the 'suicidal' thing, I think that goes back to the same reasons she sacrificed herself in Lifeline; that Atlantis comes first no matter what. And the interesting thing about GITM was that you do have to take into consideration how desperate she was to get back--after all, she lied to Atlantis at first and put them in danger by having the replicators come back there. I think she lost her way in her desire to get back and then after being around them again, regaining a bit of 'humanity,' she realized that she needed to set things right.

The ending was a cop out; it was business related more than writing related, but honestly it was clever on the part of Elizabeth--or rather, perhaps, Carl Binder, as we know that an Elizabeth floating out in space is not 'dead'. She can come back again. John can go get here, whatever. Had they gone the truly bitter way--of her being 'unbonded'--that would have been super cruel.

SR and Flowerbud, I squeed so much at the Con reports! Thanks for the updates and so happy for you both!
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
        I am one of those who didn't hate GITM; it was sad that it was only one episode and of course I hated what happened to the Elizabeth character, but I didn't 'hate' much about it because it reinforced for me Elizabeth's importance to the people of Atlantis. And I can say that even more confidently having finally watched the final season.

As to the 'suicidal' thing, I think that goes back to the same reasons she sacrificed herself in Lifeline; that Atlantis comes first no matter what. And the interesting thing about GITM was that you do have to take into consideration how desperate she was to get back--after all, she lied to Atlantis at first and put them in danger by having the replicators come back there. I think she lost her way in her desire to get back and then after being around them again, regaining a bit of 'humanity,' she realized that she needed to set things right.

The ending was a cop out; it was business related more than writing related, but honestly it was clever on the part of Elizabeth--or rather, perhaps, Carl Binder, as we know that an Elizabeth floating out in space is not 'dead'. She can come back again. John can go get here, whatever. Had they gone the truly bitter way--of her being 'unbonded'--that would have been super cruel.

SR and Flowerbud, I squeed so much at the Con reports! Thanks for the updates and so happy for you both!
        I think you summed it up just right, but the more I think about it, I believe it comes down to bad planning and stretching the character so thin, in order she would fit a prerequisite - which was to write her out, but still leave a possibility of her coming back in the future that didn't happen for the show.

However, the entire episode reinforced the notion of Elizabeth's importance, and John's reactions added the fuel to the fire that is Sparky. Because of that I can't hate GitM, but that doesn't mean I like it much either. :/ It's a love hate relationship.
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday! Or maybe not so happy, given that we're talking about GitM.

I also don't hate GitM, though I don't love it, either. There are certain aspects of the episode that I like, notably the continuation of John's angst and guilt over what happened to Elizabeth. Joe Flanigan's performance in GitM really sold the episode for me more than anything else. There are certain aspects that I really don't like, such as the way that the story is left hanging at the end, yet again. Shoving Weir under the rug just to get rid of her. I agree with Torri Higginson's assessment of the episode; I didn't want to see Weir used as nothing more than a 'carrot' (as she put it at Shore Leave) either. Sure, I wanted to see Weir again. But not like that. I wanted closure, and that deliberate lack of closure is the most disappointing thing about GitM and the Weir-Replicator storyline as a whole.

And yet... the lack of closure allows us to harbor a bit of hope. GitM never conclusively answered the questions of whether or not FRANibeth was the real Elizabeth, or if the real Elizabeth was still alive and still out there somewhere, waiting to be found. That, I suppose, is both the blessing and the curse of GitM.
          (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
          Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

GITM? Leaving apart the fact that I don't like the way Elizabeth Weir was treated in this episode, I think it's a weak story for two reasons:

-Asurans transforming Elizabeth in a full replicator (destroying her human form) but leaving her memories intact, free to roam around Asura, believing they can control her through their common link, when they are not even in a position to control rebel factions (see Niam and TMC)

-Woolsey & Co. allowing the 8 replicators to froze in space, when they know this will not kill them (in fact, they could recover Niam months after he was left frozen in space); how naive! Somebody else could recover and revive the 8 bodies and use them against Atlantis (when they invaded Atlantis systems, God knows how many informations they could store in their memory)

The only part of GITM I love is John's grieving for Elizabeth. But it's a too small part to make me love this episode in the whole.
            I hate GITM and I hate TPTW for writing it.

Edit: I forgot one thing ... I can't buy Elizabeth bringing the other 7 replicators to Atlantis, with the risk of damaging the city. The real Elizabeth would never expose her city, her friends and John to such a danger!
            Last edited by nephtys59; 30 August 2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I like GITM. Not my favorite episode but I like to wath it sometimes. I love Rodney and John in it. I can watch the last scene of Elizabeth in space without to be angry thanks to the look of John.
              But I still think nothing can beat EATG and the stupidity in this episode. Well, it's not Sparky.....
              sigpic
              Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

I agree with you all about GitM. I also have a love/hate relationship with the ep, but it edges more to hate than love
                I hated the way they treated Elizabeth. But I love the many emotions her presence evoked, especially in John.
                And it's a shame that it took this ep to convince so many people of Sparky. Not that people being convinced that Sparky exists is a bad thing... far from!!! But it's a shame it took an ep that treated Elizabeth like this to make people see Sparky. It's difficult to explain what I really mean *facepalm*
                And John's face in the final scene. OMG. Breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes every.single.time!
                Kudos to Joe for doing an amazing job. And to Michelle too for getting all of Liz's mannerisms so spot on!

Something completely different: Stonehenge Apocalypse is premiering on SyFy Benelux this Saturday. Bad hilarious B-movie that I'm so gonna watch again

And ZOMG!! The Long Goodbye rerun!!!!! *grins*

Sig by me

Comment

Oh, I love how Ronon sends Teyla after Phoebus because he doesn't have a clue how Liz thinks. Once again shows that Teyla and Liz were close. Even though I'm pretty sure the way Liz thinks has nothing to do with how Phoebus acts, but oh well...

Sig by me

Comment

I totally, totally, totally love the city view when Rodney brings the lights back on!!

Sig by me

Comment

SGA reruns started today. My dad already knows he can't watch tv during 1 hour.lol
                      sigpic
                      Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Before I forget to post this...AGAIN...

I would like to propose we release the first seven episodes of SGA: Rising for their writers to begin writing on. Other than mine (1&3) these are all authored by different authors, so it gives all of them something to work on.

If you have questions as to character development, I'd suggest emailing authors of prior stories just to get their take on how they're going to write a particular character and where they're going to take that character. If you have any doubt in your mind as to where your characters are coming from in episodes prior, PLEASE talk with the authors prior, so you're clear and you don't write off into an AU sunset. And you don't have to write the whole thing if your uncertain, but just start compiling parts and pieces so you're not slammed with it later.

Since these eppies will all be heavily beta'd, perhaps we can ask someone good at continuity (such as Falcon Horus) to look over them in sequence when roughs are done and make sure most character development matches.

But for starters, I think it would be good to get the first 7 episodes going so that the meat is being worked on. Thoughts?
                        Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

I'm baaaaacccckkkkk! And still on cloud nine. We did a tour of Chicago yesterday and Mr. SR had to tie a rope to my ankle and pull me along like a giant balloon because my feet were still not touching the ground. LOL

Funny you guys are talking about GitM. I would jump in if I didn't have so much to do but I will say that I met a group of ladies while waiting in one of the lines who all agreed that the proof that John loved Elizabeth was in that episode. And none of them was a shipper. They didn't necessarily see romance but saw the potential for it in the future. So take that for what it's worth.

Eri, I agree on releasing the first 7 eps.

Watch this space for a couple of pics a bit later.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                            Before I forget to post this...AGAIN...

I would like to propose we release the first seven episodes of SGA: Rising for their writers to begin writing on. Other than mine (1&3) these are all authored by different authors, so it gives all of them something to work on.

If you have questions as to character development, I'd suggest emailing authors of prior stories just to get their take on how they're going to write a particular character and where they're going to take that character. If you have any doubt in your mind as to where your characters are coming from in episodes prior, PLEASE talk with the authors prior, so you're clear and you don't write off into an AU sunset. And you don't have to write the whole thing if your uncertain, but just start compiling parts and pieces so you're not slammed with it later.

Since these eppies will all be heavily beta'd, perhaps we can ask someone good at continuity (such as Falcon Horus) to look over them in sequence when roughs are done and make sure most character development matches.

But for starters, I think it would be good to get the first 7 episodes going so that the meat is being worked on. Thoughts?
                            I am all for it! Mine is #7, so everything up to Box of Dreams, including that episode should be released, right?

I second the suggestion to send stories to Falcon to look them over.
                            I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

And this motivator explain how I feel about GITM:

Spoiler:

Everytime I think about it, the word "unfair" comes to my lips.
                              I agree on the fact that this, more than every other episode, shows how deeply John was in love with Elizabeth and how devastated he is in the end.

Comment

To get things to a more cheerier side, I'm posting the next chapter.
                                Missing Moments chapter 29: Critical Mass

Spoiler:
                                29: Critical Mass

(after the ep)

"How are we any different?"

John looked away, but then turned back at her with a serious face. "Well, for one: we don't eat people."

She gave him a look. "No, but we treat our farm animals the same way as they treat their food."

John opened his mouth, but let out a breath. "Still..."

"We're not so different from animals, John. They have feelings and emotions too. Don't you think a cow isn't scared when it's loaded into the back of a truck? There are animals that, once they find their perfect mate, stay together for the rest of their lives. There are even some that once they lose that mate, will mourn for the rest of their lives and never look for another partner. Now tell me how we are different from the Wraith."

John licked his lips and looked at her intently. "We know true love."

For a moment they did nothing but stare at each other. Until she cast her eyes away. "We do. But we also kill for pleasure, start wars because we think our God is the better one, we violate and mutilate others..."

"Elizabeth..."

She raised her hand. "No matter what you try to say..."

John got up from his spot on the corner of her desk and placed both hands on it, looking very sure of himself.

"We ARE different from the Wraith. Maybe not all of human kind, but WE are. The people here in Atlantis. No one here would ever start a war over a minor disagreement, no one here would kill, violate or mutilate someone else for pleasure... heck, most people here wouldn't even do it if they had no choice but to do it. Look at yourself: you're a vegetarian, balancing on the edge of vegan, more and more people in the world are turning vegetarian and vegan. That means we care. Not only about our fellow humans, but about the animals too. More and more people are shouting for peace and unison in the world. I have never met a Wraith who wore a white flag and preached peace and unison, let alone a Wraith who's trying it the vegetarian way. Some of us may share some of their very bad behavior, but most of human kind are good people and they are trying to make the world a better place."

Elizabeth was silent for a couple of moments, almost awed by John's preaching while he let go of her desk and stood up straight.

"This isn't a black and white world, Elizabeth, it's a grey one and it'll always be a grey one. No one will always be good or always be bad. Heck, I'm sure even Ghandi had his "bad-ass" moments."

She couldn't help but give him a smile.

"But trust me when I say that we as humans are edging a lot more to the good side than the bad side compared to the Wraith. You as a former diplomat should know that."

She nodded. "I do. But what we did today..."

He sat back down on the corner of her desk and interrupted her. "Was necesarry to assure the safety of Atlantis and everyone living here... and besides... I'm quite sure everyone was surprised it wasn't Kavanaugh."

"That's no excuse. I can't dare to imagine what Ronon would have done to him if he hadn't fainted."

John looked around the control room and when he saw no one was watching them, he very gently put his hand on hers. "But Kavanaugh did faint and we found the real perpetrator. Everything turned out ok and no one got hurt. Stop beating yourself up over this. You did the right thing. Everyone in Atlantis will tell you that."

She squeezed his hand. "I'll try."

He gave her a gentle smile. "Good."

Sig by me

Comment

Working...
                                X