No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday! And to those of us in the US, Happy College Football Saturday! Good luck to everyone's teams!

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
    Thought you guys might like to see these

^click

If you click the banner it will take you to my Live Journal and the 20 Elizabeth Weir icons I did for one of the communities on there, I managed to sneak in a tad bit of Sparky Feel free to snarch
    Those are lovely! I really like the Colors series and how there's a slightly different shot of her for each color.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by pkprd869 View Post
      Eri: dig the snark recaps. I think the laughter cracked a few ribs I think "Grace Under Pressure" would be good. May I suggest "Sanctuary" also? I can only the imagine the "space-girl-kirkette-of-the-week" snark And only because of special request:

Spoiler:
      Preview piece: The Best of Times

John Sheppard stood on the balcony outside of Elizabeth’s office looking into the night sky. The twinkle of the stars and soft glow from the moon reflecting over the ocean brought a feeling of tranquility. John let his mind drift to Ferris Wheels and college football. He heard footsteps approaching and knew immediately who was joining him.

“Off in the wild blue yonder I see,” Elizabeth Weir joined John on the balcony.

“Yeah, something like that,” John replied offering a small smile.

“I never thought I would see this place again,” Elizabeth took a deep breath letting the smell of the ocean ease her mind.

“I thought I would never see you again,” John could not stop the seriousness in his voice.

“Oberoth and the Asurans made me do some terrible things,” Elizabeth looked over the balcony to hide her shame.

“Hey, you can’t be held responsible. You fought back and won. You’re here now and that’s all I care about,” John placed a comforting hand on Elizabeth’s shoulder.

“All the people I hurt and the destruction I caused. I even tortured my friends. Rodney can’t even look at me without that scared puppy face,” Elizabeth clasped John’s hand to help fight back tears.

“Ronon and Teyla, they understand. And the ‘scared puppy face’ is kind of... funny,” John hoped his small joke would lighten the mood.

“It is cute,” Elizabeth appreciated John’s trying to cheer her up and smiled.

“I never thought I would ever hear a beautiful woman call McKay cute,” John mused.

“Thanks,” Elizabeth released John’s hand.

“Yeah anytime,” John answered.

“John, I’m actually pretty scared,” Elizabeth became serious again.

“Of what?” John asked.

“Where do I go from here? I doubt the IOA will let me stay. And I have no idea what I will do back on Earth,” Elizabeth pondered out loud.

“You never know. Woolsey isn’t really that bad of a guy. Kind of uptight, but he still has a sense of honor and loyalty,” John replied.

“Good thing you didn’t smack him the head then,” Elizabeth teased.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” John laughed recalling when he first met Woolsey.

“Honestly I don’t want to be in charge here anymore. I’m surprised I didn’t lose all my hair over that job,” Elizabeth adjusted herself so she had a leg on the lower railing.

“Does that mean you don’t want to stay?” John’s face contorted into a look of hurt.

“No, I want to stay. Maybe lead a team to negotiate trade and diplomatic relations,” Elizabeth suggested.

“Oh,” John looked down embarrassed.

“What?” Elizabeth tilted her head and smiled.

“It’s just... I thought you were gonna leave me again,” John shrugged.

“Leave you?” Elizabeth questioned.

“Well, I mean the city,” John thought he could feel himself blushing.

“John,” Elizabeth put her hand on his cheek, “I’ll be here waiting.”

“What?”

“I’ll be here on our balcony. Just come here and you’ll find me.”

“Really?”

“I promise.”

John and Elizabeth exchanged smiles and returned to admiring the night sky. They both felt at ease knowing they would have each to lean on. Neither John nor Elizabeth cared about the future. Both were content to share the moment. Elizabeth let her hand slip into John’s. John simply gave Elizabeth’s hand a gentle squeeze of reassurance.

“I better get to bed,” Elizabeth broke the hand hold.

“Wait,” John captured her hand again.

“Yes,” Elizabeth titled her head and smiled.

“Stay a bit longer, please,” John tried not to sound like he was begging.

“Sure,” Elizabeth rejoined John on the balcony.

“These are the best of times,” John spoke but kept his gaze over the ocean.

“Why?” Elizabeth asked.

“I’m alone with you,” John turned his eyes to Elizabeth.

As their eyes met, John and Elizabeth were no longer sure they could read each other. Support, trust, and caring were still in their eyes, but John and Elizabeth saw something else mix into their moment. John and Elizabeth finally realized what this new feeling was and they wondered whether it was new or always there. Still searching, John and Elizabeth felt their bodies coming closer.

“The best of times,” Elizabeth repeated as she could feel John’s hands run through her hair and finally their lips met.

That was a little preview of something I've been thinking of doing. I still think it *Beep*ing *Beeps*. I had to deactivate the Y-chromosome, but don't worry; I have lots of explosions and guns to compensate.
      Oh, I LOVE that! You have no need to fear your Y-chromosome, guys can tell slightly sappy stuff too. But I'm looking forward to the explosions. I enjoy them almost as much (is my Double X in trouble?)

Ha! I'm at a Starbucks right now where I'm going to work on a few chapters of Testament and every time I look up I see another vehicle with collegiate car flags! YES! Happy College Football Saturday, y'all, and good luck to all your teams.

I shall be cheering heartily for Tennessee. If Kiffin somehow manages to pull off a miracle, I'll sing you Rocky Top pkprd869.
      Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Hey guys. I have a semi rethorical question for you all. Someone tells you what you write is disgusting, and also tells you you're wasting your talent, shouldn't like what you like et cetera..... is it a rant worthy topic for you?
        I'm not weird, I'm limited edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
          Thought you guys might like to see these

^click

If you click the banner it will take you to my Live Journal and the 20 Elizabeth Weir icons I did for one of the communities on there, I managed to sneak in a tad bit of Sparky Feel free to snarch
          Those were wonderful!

Comment

Regularamanda, i loved the icons - especially the artist's choice ones *g*

Comment

Originally posted by Anuna View Post
              Hey guys. I have a semi rethorical question for you all. Someone tells you what you write is disgusting, and also tells you you're wasting your talent, shouldn't like what you like et cetera..... is it a rant worthy topic for you?
              On a diplomatic level, probably not--their opinion is their opinion, and truthfully writing, and what you write, is SO subjective that no one opinion is more valuable or important than another. If you enjoy writing certain things others don't, that's their problem, not yours.

On a personal level, though--if it bothers you, I say YES. Rant about it. Ranting, writing up your anger in your journal, discussing it with someone else, that's therapeutic. No person, no matter how centered they think they are, is completely capable of letting hurtful stuff roll of their back. Ranting helps you cope with it. Criticism of stuff--especially stuff you LOVE to do, like writing, which may be your general coping mechanism or escape from life--is always going to get into your head. And generally, writers are slightly more sensitive, so negativity towards their 'art' hurts them, even if they don't want it to and even if they are generally not affected by criticism.

So my general advice? I'd rant about it, but in your rant, include the reasons why that sort of criticism shouldn't or can't take away from you what you love to do--and talk yourself into believing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                On a diplomatic level, probably not--their opinion is their opinion, and truthfully writing, and what you write, is SO subjective that no one opinion is more valuable or important than another. If you enjoy writing certain things others don't, that's their problem, not yours.

On a personal level, though--if it bothers you, I say YES. Rant about it. Ranting, writing up your anger in your journal, discussing it with someone else, that's therapeutic. No person, no matter how centered they think they are, is completely capable of letting hurtful stuff roll of their back. Ranting helps you cope with it. Criticism of stuff--especially stuff you LOVE to do, like writing, which may be your general coping mechanism or escape from life--is always going to get into your head. And generally, writers are slightly more sensitive, so negativity towards their 'art' hurts them, even if they don't want it to and even if they are generally not affected by criticism.

So my general advice? I'd rant about it, but in your rant, include the reasons why that sort of criticism shouldn't or can't take away from you what you love to do--and talk yourself into believing it.
                Thank God I'm not a diplomat (well, sometimes I have to be at work). Which is why I indulge in doing something so deeply personal and freakishly biased as writing.

I was told recently, by someone who obviously thinks she is right about anything, that my stories are general waste of my time, my talent; and some of them (smut to be precise) are particularly disgusting. Coming from a person who claims not to read fanfiction.

Okay, then. Let me tell you what in my opinion is disgusting. Throwing an ashtray at you'r seven year old's head is disgusting. Putting out cigarettes on your wife's back, in front of your four year old son is disgusting. Beating your daughter is disgusting. Telling your wife she is a sex deprived camel (yes, people, that one is real too) is disgusting. Smut, compared to what I counted above is benign, if you're not under age, and if it's not some kind of violent, aggressive, non con smut.

It may seem like unimportant, low, filthy subject to write, but to me it's wonderfully human, and compared to my work, very relaxing and positive.

Also, when asked how can I waste my talent on something so low/disgusting, I have to say that with my line of work you can't allow the luxury of having too many squicks when it comes to human behavior. Going "EEEEWWWWW" at anything tied to sexuality would make me a very bad psychologist. I myself don't have taboos when it comes to that subject and I'm very content about that. Writing about it only comes natural.

okay, time to step down from the soapbox. I feel like writing more disgusting smut

Comment

Thank God I'm not a diplomat (well, sometimes I have to be at work). Which is why I indulge in doing something so deeply personal and freakishly biased as writing.

I was told recently, by someone who obviously thinks she is right about anything, that my stories are general waste of my time, my talent; and some of them (smut to be precise) are particularly disgusting. Coming from a person who claims not to read fanfiction.

Okay, then. Let me tell you what in my opinion is disgusting. Throwing an ashtray at you'r seven year old's head is disgusting. Putting out cigarettes on your wife's back, in front of your four year old son is disgusting. Beating your daughter is disgusting. Telling your wife she is a sex deprived camel (yes, people, that one is real too) is disgusting. Smut, compared to what I counted above is benign, if you're not under age, and if it's not some kind of violent, aggressive, non con smut.

It may seem like unimportant, low, filthy subject to write, but to me it's wonderfully human, and compared to my work, very relaxing and positive.

Also, when asked how can I waste my talent on something so low/disgusting, I have to say that with my line of work you can't allow the luxury of having too many squicks when it comes to human behavior. Going "EEEEWWWWW" at anything tied to sexuality would make me a very bad psychologist. I myself don't have taboos when it comes to that subject and I'm very content about that. Writing about it only comes natural.

okay, time to step down from the soapbox. I feel like writing more disgusting smut
                  And there you go. *applauds*

I once had a teacher in college who did not like my writing style. It was a Shakespeare class, too, which hurt my feelings a bit because I took great pains to understand that class.

But it was at that point that I realized--grading, writing, reading, and opinions of writing are completely subjective. Most of the time, when you read what someone else writes, your opinions are not criticizing whether the writing is 'good' or 'bad', it's whether you think the writing is good or bad. Which is entirely dependent on what you like or don't like, how you understand things, how broad your mind is, how learned you are, etc.

I will qualify that by pointing out the 'structural' component of writing, grammar, can be universally criticized in the same way an algebra equation is either 'right' or 'wrong'. But content? How you write? If it's structurally sound, then everything else is an opinion filtered through that opinion-giver's view of the world.

My teacher didn't get my writing style. He didn't like how I wrote. Other teachers loved how I wrote. Some didn't look deep enough into my words, some looked more deeply than I ever expected. But that moment in my schooling taught me to understand that never, at any point in time, was I going to be universally praised--or universally criticized--for what I wrote. My entire life, it was going to depend on who I met and what they liked.

That 'person' doesn't like smut. Whatever. That's not their lifestyle. It's not my lifestyle either, but I'd never say you weren't talented because that's what you choose to write--especially if you're good at it. And I think you are good at it.

And any writing that you take time to work on, or cherish, is NOT a waste. Writing, for me, is like painting or music--it's a way to color our world for those of us lucky enough to love doing it. And for those who have a modicum of skill in it, it's a way to present to others the beauty of what words can 'really' be--art.

And, most importantly, it's what you love. Don't let anyone hedge your love or take even a small part of it away from you.

Comment

Glad that you liked the icons I was fangurling her a lot while making those She is just so so beautiful

Anuna don't ever let someone stop you from writing. If they don't like that then they shouldn't read it, especially if there's a rating on it.

I'm not the biggest fan of smut, but that's just my taste, and I would never criticize someone for writing that, it's what they want to write and that's perfectly okay

For me my fanfic writing is a great stress reliever, something that I can go to and pick up and write and I get enjoyment out of it.

Don't ever let someone stop you from writing, no matter what they say! *hugs* And always remember one person might not like it but there's many more people that like it and either respond or they still like it and don't have the time to respond!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                    Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Eri13 View Post
                      Oh, I LOVE that! You have no need to fear your Y-chromosome, guys can tell slightly sappy stuff too. But I'm looking forward to the explosions. I enjoy them almost as much (is my Double X in trouble?)

Ha! I'm at a Starbucks right now where I'm going to work on a few chapters of Testament and every time I look up I see another vehicle with collegiate car flags! YES! Happy College Football Saturday, y'all, and good luck to all your teams.

I shall be cheering heartily for Tennessee. If Kiffin somehow manages to pull off a miracle, I'll sing you Rocky Top pkprd869.
                      Yay football. Most everybody expects Tennessee and Virginia Tech to lose today. So I say Yay! for the underdogs.

I can never top what Eri said, so I'll just point to her. But I can't imagine someone saying that to you or anyone else. I think I would confront that person directly and ask them why they felt the need to criticize something that gives you and so many other people pleasure.

It sounds like they might be a mass of contradictions. They don't read fanfic but they read yours and critique you? They think smut is disgusting but they read it and have to tell you so? Something's not right.

I would love to read something this person wrote. *reaches for red pen*
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                        It sounds like they might be a mass of contradictions. They don't read fanfic but they read yours and critique you? They think smut is disgusting but they read it and have to tell you so? Something's not right.
                        I've got to wonder if this person did it just to cause trouble and is targeting Anuna deliberately. I'd be curious to know who it is. Something is definitely rotten in Denmark.

*huggles Anuna*
                        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Anuna: If this person doesn't like what you write, he or she shouldn't read it. You have a gift for writing. Like Regularamanda (by the way HI!) said "don't ever let someone stop you from writing"

Guys, I just watched "Reunion" with my mom. She fell asleep in the middle.lol I will re-watch it tomorrow.
                          I think I will try to do my "mom's recaps" tomorrow for "Coup d'Etat" and "Michael".
                          sigpic
                          Sig made by nephty and avi by Kris....THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                            I've got to wonder if this person did it just to cause trouble and is targeting Anuna deliberately. I'd be curious to know who it is. Something is definitely rotten in Denmark.

*huggles Anuna*
                            Or maybe it's just someone who is generally negative about everything. I'd say a very unhappy person with an extremely narrow mind.

*goes back to football*
                            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                              Guys, I just watched "Reunion" with my mom. She fell asleep in the middle.lol I will re-watch it tomorrow.
                              I think I will try to do my "mom's recaps" tomorrow for "Coup d'Etat" and "Michael".
                              Fell asleep in the middle of 'Reunion?' Hahahah!

Oooh, more recaps of fun episodes!

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                              Or maybe it's just someone who is generally negative about everything. I'd say a very unhappy person with an extremely narrow mind.

*goes back to football*
                              And there are certainly plenty of narrow-minded people out there.

*passes out some Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses and also goes back to football*

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                                Anuna: If this person doesn't like what you write, he or she shouldn't read it. You have a gift for writing. Like Regularamanda (by the way HI!) said "don't ever let someone stop you from writing"

Hi Probie! *waves* I need to visit this thread more often
                                Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                                Fell asleep in the middle of 'Reunion?' Hahahah!

Oooh, more recaps of fun episodes!

And there are certainly plenty of narrow-minded people out there.

*passes out some Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses and also goes back to football*
                                mmhmmmm! *takes offered treat and waits impatiently for baseball to start at 7*

You know what I hate? When people read fanfics and then leave a comment like 'this pairing is stupid' bluh bluh bluh, if you don't like it then why the heck are you reading it? *head desk*

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                                Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                                Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                X