Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bama
    Spoiler:
    They should have renamed this ep, 'Rodney Gets His'. Basically, that was the main premise of the episode and I have to admit, as much as I like Rodney, I'd just as soon he hadn't. He's a lot of fun walking around as the fathead, know it all -constantly. The ep reinforced a few things for me. First off, Elizabeth is more like a 'mother' to Rodney than she is anything else-including his friend. He needs mothering more. ; ) Even she practically admitted it. That 'whippin' she gave him in the last scene was a fitting one to underscore that too. She was tearing him a new one but GOOD and honestly, he deserved it.

Me-
    Spoiler:
    She was practically shredding him! Well... he DID destroy part of the galaxy.

Spoiler:
    Shep got used a bit by Rodney but you know, I almost think as many times as he has asked for Weir's blind trust and as much as Rodney has saved the team that he indeed *did* owe Rodney one. Yeah, Rodney blew it. And it almost cost them but you know, friends screw up sometimes and sometimes they hurt you a little in the process. Shep will get over it.

To me though, that 'trust' storyline wasn't nearly so interesting as the other 'background' stories of the same theme. This ep was the can opener for the proverbial *trust* 'can o' worms' that we've seen hinted at since Seige 3.

Me-
    Spoiler:
    I thought the trust storyline was decent. I mean, Rodney was being very hardheaded this episode and he trusted himself more than his friends although he asks them to trust them which seemed to fit. The thing that was nagging at me was the fact that Rodney was obsessing over the dang thing!

...okay, so it could have stopped all the pollution on earth, help defend Atlantis, and probably finish off the wraith but still! Radek wasn't obsessing was he?

Spoiler:
    One of the most interesting things was the Weir and Caldwell power interplay. Boy, was she on the defensive with him or what? Of course, she sees that she has a right to be after his past power manuvering. I loved that little snarky! line about his ship heading back soon! LOL! Mitch had a great reaction too. Good job there by both he and Torri. He wants Elizabeth's job-or at least John's. She sees him as untrustworthy and having ulterior motives. Can't say she's wrong even if he did seem on the up and up and all 'innocence' with his reasons about the weaponry Rodney was testing.

Me-
    Spoiler:
    -nods in agreement-

Spoiler:
    Here again...we must pay close attention. Anyone notice how Rodney turned our attention -yet again- to the fact that Shep above all others has the trust of Elizabeth? He is her confidante in all matters. Watch the scene where they're discussing the matter around the table with Rodney, Caldwell, John and Elizabeth. Elizabeth is listening and seemingly not too upset by the incident *until* John vehmently says the thinks continuing to test the weaponry is too dangerous. The expression on her face says it all as she watches his emotional reaction and response. HIS opinion is the ONE that matters to her the most. Hands down. It took her no time, after listening to John, to come to the answer of 'no' for Rodney's testing and only John could have gotten her to change her mind-as Rodney well knew.

Me-
    Spoiler:
    That and remeber when Rodney was asking John to talk to Elizabeth? He asked him why he couldn't do that himself? Then he said it was because she trusts you. Just thought to add that bit

Spoiler:
    And believe me, Caldwell is shrewd and he's smart and he is paying close attention. We have Shep, who has now had his ass saved not once, but twice by Caldwell and his ship. Caldwell will call in the debt at some point too-*count on it*. He will ask John to side with him against Elizabeth and it will tear John's guts out. I think it may be in some sort of a coup attempt for power too which will tear out Elizabeth's. This TRUST between John and Elizabeth that we've seen built the last year and a half will get the most harsh test we can imagine. John, will feel torn...not out of any real loyalty to Caldwell but out of loyalty to his military ideals and his own ideals and codes. Caldwell will play this card against him. He knows John's problems and he is aware of his faults and weaknesses.

I think before the year is out we will see a huge tear in the trust between our girl and boy that will have to be repaired with a lot of TLC. They will both be tested I think-esp. John and I'm not very certain that he'll 'pass' the test-at least not in Elizabeth's eyes. I love where the PTB seem to be going with the trust factor between the two though. They are slowly eliminating all others as equally meaningful and trustworthy for John and Elizabeth and revealing to them that it can only truly be each other. The only way to build that trust is to test it and claw at it. The very building block of a long-term relationship between two people that care enough to try and find that trust together. Shep and Weir do care enough-about each other now and they will find it. I've no doubt.

Speaking of the 'trust' issue...We see the entire issue blowing up (literally) as well as figuratively in tonight's episode. Rodney and John. John and Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Caldwell. Caldwell and John. And then there is Teyla and Ronon. And in turn, Teyla and Ronon and John and Elizabeth. This was an interesting by-story developing that underlined and tied in nicely to the the main 'trust' theme we see developing on the whole. Ronon has some issues-no doubt. And if anyone could ever hope to heal this man or understand him completely, it could only be Teyla who has been through so much of the same herself. This ep sealed it for me-these two are heading on a collision course. And I like it- a lot, lot. There wasn't a lot of cheap flirtations between them and I like how they both have a shared inner fire and passion for what they see is wrong about the world they live in and who makes it so. This inner fire and passion will eventually turn them to each other. These two 'aliens' are different from their 'earthling' brethren as the Teyla pointed out. This 'secret' they agree to hide from their two friends Shep and Weir is the product of an understanding that only they, through their shared type experiences and trials can comprehend. This too will tie into the huge BREECH OF TRUST arc that I can see headed toward us like the proverbial freight train in the night.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on this ep. Overall, it was imo, a so/so ep with some interesting sides but the 'undertone' was where the action was at in this one. The explosions that will eventually rock Atlantis due to the trust issue may make Rodney's look mild in comparison.

-Bama ; )

Well, you've pretty much said it all Bama. Great analysis!
    Last edited by xkawaiix; 20 August 2005, 02:30 PM.

Comment

There have been some great observations here. I don't htink there was a huge Sheppard/Weir development in this episode, but as some have said, the other characters seem to be catching on more and more about the unique trust between Liz and John. I liked the closing scene between John and Rodney
      Spoiler:
      I think John was definitely (even without looking at it in a shippy light) angry because he could possibly have weakened Elizabeth's trust in him due to their failure. However, I think Elizabeth won't hold it against him, but I do have the feeling this is foreshadowing (as others have noted) for a major attack on the trust between them. We've now seen that Rodney manipulated that trust--others could follow...

Question, we all remember the famous scene in "Thirty-Eight Minutes". Does anyone think what John intended to say will be hinted at further during this season? Or at least at some point down the road? I really don't think the writers would drop that story totally.

Have a good weekend,

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Tomcatter
        And just to clarify: DOES Caldwell have John's job? I was under the impression he wanted Elizabeth's but settled for John's instead. So now he is the military commander and John is his subordinate... but that doesn't really make sense, because what if the Daedelus has to go back to Earth???? Help!
        Spoiler:
        Caldwell wanted Sheppard's job, but didn't get it. Caldwell is in command only of the Daedalus. Sheppard is in command of the military side of Atlantis. Therefore Caldwell can't order Sheppard on anything pertaining to Atlantis. But Caldwell does make reports and sends them back to Earth which could sway tptb on Earth as far as the command situation on Atlantis.

Comment

Hey Guys,
          wow I was gone for about two days (moved into college dorm) and have lots of catching up to do. I thought I would miss last night's episode, but I did get to watch it, I liked it. Bama you just about summed it up. I just have a few observations
          Spoiler:
          In Elizabeth's office when her, John, Rodney and Caldwell were talking, everytime that J/E were talking to each other, Caldwell seemed to look back and forth btw them, I think he might start to realize that there is something going on btw them. Also, I thought it was wrong of Rodney to ask John to use Elizabeth's trust in him to get them to go back to the planet and investigate the weapon. (hope all that makes sense).
          Can't wait for next weeks episode.
          *AtlantisFan*

McKay: Oh, believe me that's not the first thing we tried.
          Sheppard: I shot him.... In the leg.

Ford: How can something as big as Atlantis just sink?
          Sheppard: I'm sure the passengers on the Titanic were asking themselves the same question?!

McKay: You're right- if only we had a magical tool that could slow down time. I foolishly left mine on Earth - did you bring yours?

McKay: I will try, but despite what you all may think, I am not Superman

Comment

Oh and Welcome LuvsJonasQuinn and Lord Nonesuch!

Comment

Originally posted by *AtlantisFan*
              Hey Guys,
              wow I was gone for about two days (moved into college dorm) and have lots of catching up to do. I thought I would miss last night's episode, but I did get to watch it, I liked it. Bama you just about summed it up. I just have a few observations
              Spoiler:
              In Elizabeth's office when her, John, Rodney and Caldwell were talking, everytime that J/E were talking to each other, Caldwell seemed to look back and forth btw them, I think he might start to realize that there is something going on btw them. Also, I thought it was wrong of Rodney to ask John to use Elizabeth's trust in him to get them to go back to the planet and investigate the weapon. (hope all that makes sense).
              Can't wait for next weeks episode.
              Oh I have no doubt he realizes it and is just biding his time. He's a shrewd dude. He went behind Weir's back to try and steal the job before and he'll do it again if she gives him the opportunity. And boy, does she ever sense it. I don't think we know if he's as big a snake in the grass as she thinks he is quite yet. But we, as well as Eliz. and John will see... He has saved John's ass twice-don't think that won't come up again at a prudent point for him. Caldwell is a very capable man obviously and very ambitious. As a smart man, he has noticed that Eliz depends a lot on John and his ideas and opinions to base her decisions on and he will definitely use that against her at the right time. I think he may be going for her vulnerability to get her job. Take away John from her. Make her stand in the military 'shoes' and make the military decisions alone and she may fold. Could very well be his plan. Or, he may go after John too and see which one of them blinks first. He knows if he can use John's ego and agressive and rebellous nature to rope him in a mistake that Eliz. can't 'cover' for he may have him. Or, he may see where he can get them both out with just the right strategically timed 'strike'.

Personally, I think he's going to try to get them to turn on each other. I think he's going to manipulate the both of them. And I think Eliz. senses his move more as she would being the diplomatic/people expert. I think he'll work on getting John. I think he's going to try and convince him that she is making a bad move-a tragic move that could be horrible for atlantis in some way. I think he'll be convincing to the point that John will side with him against her. I cannot wait to see it. It will tear the life from Elizabeth if it comes to pass.
              Spoiler:
              Remember Caldwell bringing up the big Liz/John 'power struggle' scene in the meeting with the general in S3?
              Besides that, Caldwell has already went to great lengths to remind John just WHO is in charge between the two of them. What happens when Caldwell forces John to choose between following his order and John's own military training and instincts and following Elizabeth's? Elizabeth told him in Season One after he over rode her that it had better not ever happen a second time. I think she meant it. I can't wait to see it all unfold whether they go the route I'm outlining or something akin to it. It's gonna be fun, fireworks and full of emotion.

It's been slowly simmering...I think after the mid break, we'll see it come to a full boil...

-Bama ; )
              Last edited by Bama; 20 August 2005, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vixen
                Heh. Sorry

He'd probably like them even more if Elizabeth was sitting next to him.

I love those two dishes on her desk. And I'm trying not to look where John's hand is
                LOL, I tried to get a cap where his and wasn't where it was...but I gave up after a couple tries. Yes, I am hopelss when it comes to Sheppard.
                ~Athena

Comment

Elizabeth told him in Season One after he over rode her that it had better not ever happen a second time. I think she meant it. I can't wait to see it all unfold whether they go the route I'm outlining or something akin to it. It's gonna be fun, fireworks and full of emotion.

It's been slowly simmering...I think after the mid break, we'll see it come to a full boil...

-Bama ; )
                  Ditto...One does get this feeling that this trust issue is coming back to haunt our boy & girl..big time!. I`m not worried though because it makes for interesting viewing and a "grovelling puppy dog John" might just make up for all the angst.
                  Caldwell ...slimy.snake written all over him
                  Damian Kindler also wrote a latter half S2 episode(?) Something to do with
                  Spoiler:
                  J/E in life pod
                  Wonder if the trust issue will form part of the story arc?

Side note....this show must be SCIFI most shippiest with all the possible/probable variants of ships canon and not so canon
                  Last edited by seetheship; 21 August 2005, 03:49 AM.

“I know how Sheppard can be,” “He’s an incredibly strong man,” “and Elizabeth is his weakness. He doesn’t know how to handle that.”
                  - Rodney to AU Elizabeth : quote from PeanutButterer`s The Other Side

Comment

Athena I love your Elizabeth avi!

Originally posted by seetheship
                    Spoiler:
                    J/E in life pod
                    I almost forgot that he wrote that episode. Very cool!

Comment

Spoiler:
                      J/E in life pod
                      Ooh! Which episode is this? It sounds intriguing, if in a kind of fanficcy way... Atlantis's 'Solitudes' perhaps?

Loving the thoughts on episodes by the way.
                      INCLUDES SPORK.

Comment

Welcome JxHarrison!

I believe that ep is called The Long Goodbye. Huh, i'd never thought of it being Atlantis's 'Solitudes' but maybe that's bc i ain't that observant

Comment

Spoiler:
                          J/E in life pod

Side note....this show must be SCIFI most shippiest with all the possible/probable variants of ships canon and not so canon
                          Spoiler:
                          Whooo...I was thinkin about this ep just late last night. One of my 'wishes' for this season is to see John and Elizabeth 'stuck' somewhere together. This may just be the ep! I love this idea for so much more than just the field day that it will give shep/weir fanfic writers! ; )

If you have them stuck on this life pod-it brings a whole realm of possibilities to light. They will be forced to depend on each other and each other's wits to survive perhaps. In such close confines, they won't have any recourse but to have some 'touchies' goin on. (Always gotta love that) And my favorite thing is that such a situation will force them to talk...really talk to each other. I mean, what if they're stuck and they think they may not get off the thing...what do they say to each other? What do they talk about. It just brings up a chance for a couple of really personal scenes. Another one of my wishes for this year is a personal talk between them. And I don't mean a premature profession of love guys. ; ) I'm talking about just telling each other some personal things about themselves. Sharing some secrets with each other the way two very good friends would that felt they could trust each other.

As a matter of fact, in thinking of this episode, wouldn't it be a great episode to follow up a breech of trust with the whole caldwell matter? I mean, this to me, sounds like a potential terrific 'band-aid/medicine' episode for a big John/Eliz. 'falling out'. I can see them being rather cold to each other after a big blow-up and I love the idea of a 'make-up' ep where they are forced to trust each other to save their own lives. Another one of my wishes is to see them offer to sacrifice their life for the other. See them argue about which one of them is most important to Atlantis while all the time they're more concerned about losing the other. That is just yummy, shippy and full of emotional reprecussions for the future. I would love to see them be forced to look the other one in the eye if they think their death is imminent. I want to hear the end of that little speech John didn't finish as he recovered in the bed last year. I want to hear Elizabeth explain how/why she walked away from Simon to him. I want to hear and see lots of things and I know I won't get them all but I'll take one or two and be a happy shipper.

Of course, we know very little and I'm the world's biggest speculator but I've had some good success in the past at 'feeling' where a ship was headed and when so maybe I won't be too off with this one though I must admit that this early in the series it is difficult to predict PTB patterns and tendencies and direction.

Oh, and Shep/Eliz. is in the 'canon' group right? *winkers* ; )

-Bama

Comment

Originally posted by SallyLizzie
                            Welcome JxHarrison!

I believe that ep is called The Long Goodbye. Huh, i'd never thought of it being Atlantis's 'Solitudes' but maybe that's bc i ain't that observant
                            Boy, that EP title is PERFECT for what I want to see happen between them. A nice, long...'good bye' to each other...and then of course, I want them to walk away and back to Atlantis good and alive and have to deal with what happened and what was said between them. Personal ep is just screaming at me with that title!!!

-B

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Whooo...I was thinkin about this ep just late last night. One of my 'wishes' for this season is to see John and Elizabeth 'stuck' somewhere together. This may just be the ep! I love this idea for so much more than just the field day that it will give shep/weir fanfic writers! ; )

If you have them stuck on this life pod-it brings a whole realm of possibilities to light. They will be forced to depend on each other and each other's wits to survive perhaps. In such close confines, they won't have any recourse but to have some 'touchies' goin on. (Always gotta love that) And my favorite thing is that such a situation will force them to talk...really talk to each other. I mean, what if they're stuck and they think they may not get off the thing...what do they say to each other? What do they talk about. It just brings up a chance for a couple of really personal scenes. Another one of my wishes for this year is a personal talk between them. And I don't mean a premature profession of love guys. ; ) I'm talking about just telling each other some personal things about themselves. Sharing some secrets with each other the way two very good friends would that felt they could trust each other.

As a matter of fact, in thinking of this episode, wouldn't it be a great episode to follow up a breech of trust with the whole caldwell matter? I mean, this to me, sounds like a potential terrific 'band-aid/medicine' episode for a big John/Eliz. 'falling out'. I can see them being rather cold to each other after a big blow-up and I love the idea of a 'make-up' ep where they are forced to trust each other to save their own lives. Another one of my wishes is to see them offer to sacrifice their life for the other. See them argue about which one of them is most important to Atlantis while all the time they're more concerned about losing the other. That is just yummy, shippy and full of emotional reprecussions for the future. I would love to see them be forced to look the other one in the eye if they think their death is imminent. I want to hear the end of that little speech John didn't finish as he recovered in the bed last year. I want to hear Elizabeth explain how/why she walked away from Simon to him. I want to hear and see lots of things and I know I won't get them all but I'll take one or two and be a happy shipper.

Of course, we know very little and I'm the world's biggest speculator but I've had some good success in the past at 'feeling' where a ship was headed and when so maybe I won't be too off with this one though I must admit that this early in the series it is difficult to predict PTB patterns and tendencies and direction.

Oh, and Shep/Eliz. is in the 'canon' group right? *winkers* ; )

-Bama
                              Ohhh, I do hope we get more info on this episode.
                              Spoiler:
                              I absolutely love the idea of them being stuck together. Tensions tend to run high, doubt comes into the picture, and some nice quality tome together would be nice.

And I agree that they shouldn't make this too mushy gushy when John and Elizabeth realize that they might not make it back to Atlantis. Maybe like what John did in Thirty Eight Minutes would be good. I mean, it really is a bit early for a Divide and Conquer episode. A Solitudes episode would be great though.

And welcome JxHarrison!

Comment

Hey ...we might be reading too much into TLG premise but what the heck , as shippers we are allowed to speculate (insert" dream"), right?
                                Anyway would n`t be *cool* if this ep was the season finale! Just think what it would do our shipper hearts during hiatus pre S3 and ...not to say the creation of zillions of "sparky" fic

BTW Mel`s Revelations are updated! As always it rocks and Bama , you so owe us more following that delicious first kiss (you know what I mean )

“I know how Sheppard can be,” “He’s an incredibly strong man,” “and Elizabeth is his weakness. He doesn’t know how to handle that.”
                                - Rodney to AU Elizabeth : quote from PeanutButterer`s The Other Side

Comment

Working...
                                X