Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melyanna
    Okay, moving on...

Let's not forget, our "Rising" discussion starts tomorrow! (Provided I get questions together between now and then. Eek!)
    Gag. . .my home 'puter is dead. I'll have to wait until MONDAY to catch up on everything. Bah.

As for the 38 Min. ending hospital scene. . .someone. . in here, I think (way back in the thread) posted they thought that ending scene was added at a later time, when TPTB realized Teyla wasn't going to work. That scene took me totally by surprise when I saw it - obviously a "shippy" moment, and here I was expecting Teyla in my face. I was actually relieved to see it.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by seetheship
      And that is exactly the reason why I ship Sheppard & Weir ( and watch SGA of course ) They do UST so well ! Not since Mulder/Scully has gazing been so intense and frankly ...very sexy ! Wonder how they`ll RST ?? Hope TPTB do good on this one
      Totally agree with you! I'm so excited at the potential in this ship. TPTB have to get this right .....or else!

Comment

Okay, moving on...

Let's not forget, our "Rising" discussion starts tomorrow! (Provided I get questions together between now and then. Eek!)
        What time is it starting?

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          As for the 38 Min. ending hospital scene. . .someone. . in here, I think (way back in the thread) posted they thought that ending scene was added at a later time, when TPTB realized Teyla wasn't going to work.
          Really? I didn't know that. *scurries back through thread* Is that for sure though, or speculation?

But going back to rewatch that episode, the scene does stand out quite a bit. Lots of chemistry between JF and TH.
          Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
            Really? I didn't know that. *scurries back through thread* Is that for sure though, or speculation?
            *LOL* I can't swear it was in this thread. . maybe the Sheppard Discussion thread. . one or the other, just know I saw it somewhere in these forums.

Comment

Liv, I love that interpretation — when the non-shipper in me considers the scene, I figure that he's telling her not to be afraid. If I remember correctly, she wore her fears pretty openly in Rising and Hide and Seek. It's kind of interesting to look at her at the end of the season and see a woman who's willing to go off on a suicide mission of her own (as I refuse to believe that she went to the Genii without thinking they might just shoot her on sight). She really grew tremendously.

And FP, that was Major Fischer and I with the conspiracy-esque theory on the ending of Thirty-Eight Minutes. It basically supposes that the final scene was supposed to hint at Sheppard/Teyla, but TPTB figured out that that wasn't working and rewrote it later. Of course, there's almost no proof of this. It's mostly working off the fact that Thirty-Eight Minutes and Hide and Seek were aired out of order, which is odd, since it's generally better to establish the technology of a show before establishing the mythology. Then, of course, that last scene with John and Elizabeth has the rhythm of their scenes in Underground or the scene in John's bedroom in Home. In the latter two, that rhythm had developed nicely along the course of the season, but in Thirty-Eight Minutes it seems a little out of place.

They would have been editing the early episodes around the time they filmed Home, so it's possible that they decided to refilm that scene once they were cutting the episode together. It would also explain the bizarre costuming in the scene, where they all looked like they were going to hit up a nightclub. By going with drastically different costumes, they didn't have a problem with costume consistency. (Also, it got Torri out of that horrible grey that made her look ill...)

Anyway, wild theory with almost no proof, but it makes sense to me.
              Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
              Last update: 14 April 2006
              Melyanna's Multimedia
              Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

It'll be sometime after the 9PM (EDT) airing here. I'd wait for the west coast airing, but as I'm sick, I'm not likely to be up that late.

...now all I have to do is write up my questions.

And Liv, don't go scurrying through the thread. I reposted it. And it's all speculation, but sometimes speculation can be fun.
                Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Yes Liv that's a great interpretation. I remember being really thrown for a loop by first the scene where he has something he wants to say to her and then of course the final hospital scene. It was in my mind the first obvious 'shippy' scene between them, everything had been more Shep/Teyla up to that point. I thought at the time that whatever he was going to say was something along the lines of giving Weir some kind of support and encouragement, before he died leaving her alone to handle everything. I didn't know exactly how he'd word it but I just felt it was something like that. It could be taken in a 'shippy' way but even leaving that aside, I was moved by the fact that when he was nearing his end he was clearly thinking about the impact his death would have on Weir rather than on anyone else.
                  ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
                  FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

And FP, that was Major Fischer and I with the conspiracy-esque theory on the ending of Thirty-Eight Minutes.
                    Ahh, thank you. I was thinking MF was involved in that conversation but didn't want to put up any names without being sure. My memory teeters on senility sometimes.

It wa an excellent theory, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                      That's some instant-a-lovin' there. Might be a record of some kind.
                      Personally, I think he meant to say something along the lines of "Thank you for giving me the chance to go along on this journey. I don't have any regrets."
                      I think that would fit well into things for two reasons: 1) He wouldn't want her to feel like she was responsible for what happened to him, and 2) He wanted her to know that he really was glad that he came along.
                      Not saying that she would necessarily have felt responsible, but guilt is a funny thing sometimes - it doesn't always take the logical and rational route - and seeing as how she was the one who asked him to go along, it's not unreasonable to assume that she would have blamed herself to some degree. He would never want her to do that, thus: reassurance. But I also think that he would have really meant it.
                      When I first read the bolded part above my first thought on the scene was he was gonna say he had no regrets cause he and Weir were already boinking. That's only because I hadn't had any coffee (yet). Now that I'm fully caffeinated, and have spent some time thinking on the matter, the no regrets and thank you makes sence. But part of me wonders if he wasn't gonna say I'm sorry. (I haven't seen 38 mins. since it first aired so please bear with my possibly distorted thoughts.) I just thought that perhaps he was gonna say I'm sorry. Sorry for waking up the Wraith. Sorry I won't be here to help you fight them. (and since I'm in the ship thread) Sorry I can't be here for you.
                      "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                      "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                      Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                      Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                      "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                      Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                      Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                      (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

And Liv, don't go scurrying through the thread. I reposted it. And it's all speculation, but sometimes speculation can be fun.
                        Thanks, Mel. And yes, speculation sure is fun.

Really looking forward to the discussions on each of the episodes, btw.
                        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

It's mostly working off the fact that Thirty-Eight Minutes and Hide and Seek were aired out of order, which is odd, since it's generally better to establish the technology of a show before establishing the mythology. Then, of course, that last scene with John and Elizabeth has the rhythm of their scenes in Underground or the scene in John's bedroom in Home. In the latter two, that rhythm had developed nicely along the course of the season, but in Thirty-Eight Minutes it seems a little out of place.
                          I haven't seen the ep since it first aired, but I do remember feeling that the scene seemed out of place. Don't get me wrong, at first I was thrilled because of the shippyness, but when I thought about it afterwards, I remember feeling that it was a bit too heavy handed for being so early in the show, which made me worry about where TPTB were going to take it. But everything after that had just the right, light, touch, so my concerns eased.
                          ~La (I used to be a lurker, but this place just sucks you in...)
                          The Nameless Forest. Also, my LJ, where you can find my fic attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by ra-hanna
                            When I first read the bolded part above my first thought on the scene was he was gonna say he had no regrets cause he and Weir were already boinking. That's only because I hadn't had any coffee (yet). Now that I'm fully caffeinated, and have spent some time thinking on the matter, the no regrets and thank you makes sence. But part of me wonders if he wasn't gonna say I'm sorry. (I haven't seen 38 mins. since it first aired so please bear with my possibly distorted thoughts.) I just thought that perhaps he was gonna say I'm sorry. Sorry for waking up the Wraith. Sorry I won't be here to help you fight them. (and since I'm in the ship thread) Sorry I can't be here for you.
                            well i HAVEN'T seen it but from the quotes i've read and what i've heard (combined with the whumper and shipper parts of my brain ) this definately sounds possible! i could definately see shep telling them all sorry, thinking everything they will be facing with the wraith is his fault () and then saying sorry i can't be here for you...

now i hope we can actually find out SOMEDAY what he was really going to say!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerLa
                              I haven't seen the ep since it first aired, but I do remember feeling that the scene seemed out of place. Don't get me wrong, at first I was thrilled because of the shippyness, but when I thought about it afterwards, I remember feeling that it was a bit too heavy handed for being so early in the show, which made me worry about where TPTB were going to take it. But everything after that had just the right, light, touch, so my concerns eased.
                              Yeah, I think my first reaction to that scene at the end was "Eh?" I thought it was cute, but I also thought it came out of nowhere. That's part of the reason I think it might have been produced later. Of course, I'd also like to know how much time had elapsed between Rising and this one.

And yes, FP, this was Major Fischer's idea, but I couldn't remember if it was she or I who proposed it in this thread. So I called it our crazy theory.
                              Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
                                now i hope we can actually find out SOMEDAY what he was really going to say!!!
                                allow me to geuss Shep:"Elizabeth it was mckay who put the picture of your boyfriend in the toilet I just tried to burn it." Mckay: "Hey you were the one who tried to flush it!"

Comment

Working...
                                X