Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melyanna
    I think part of the reason it seems that way to us is that we've had a lot of episodes that are mostly city-based. What I think is really neat, though, is how she's had so much interaction with the recurring characters. We've never really seen a whole lot of day-to-day characters on SG-1 (honestly, we just now found out Chevron Guy's name for certain this year), but the fact that these back episodes have almost always had a B-plot with Elizabeth featured heavily has really let us get to know characters like Grodin, Zelenka, and Bates, characters whom we wouldn't have known as well had it not been for Elizabeth and the underlying story arc of the second half of the season.
    Excellent point! I have been incredibly impressed with what you called the 'B-plot's' of certain episodes, for example 'The Brotherhood' with Weir and Zelenka back in Atlantis. I think having two plots in the majority of off world episodes in the second part of the season has been a real strength of the show of late. The 'off world' eps earlier in the season were weaker and I think it was partly because the only time we saw interaction with Weir and the others back in Atlantis was when McKay and Sheppard came back to the city to report things and get decisions made about actions off world. It made Weir look like just a sounding board rather than an integral part of the show and it didn't reveal all the excellent work the rest of the Atlantis team are doing in the City whilst the teams are off world. Good shows are the ones where even the most minor of recurring characters have an interesting contribution to make and although I also think SG-1 did this well, SGA is doing it even better. There are too many TV shows where the 'B-plot' is virtually redundant, just background filler for an episode but SGA does even the smallest of details to a very high standard so nothing ever feels like it isn't significant to the overall story.
    ~ Esther~ My Live Journal
    FBI - Body Preservation Division

Comment

The "B-plots" of the episodes have been very impressive to me in the back half of the season, in part because they're the real plot of the season. The writing has been so tight — the only episode that hasn't really fit into the story as a whole was Sanctuary. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it.
      Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
      Last update: 14 April 2006
      Melyanna's Multimedia
      Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

*crawling through door*

I must admit. . I've been posting in the . . .*gulp*. . .Kavanagh/Weir Ship thread! *hanging head in shame*

Seriously. . I noticed in LFP and "Sleep" that TPTB did a great job of weaving two storylines together. Other shows do it on a regular basis - I'm thinking "CSI" for the moment...multiple storylines going on every episode. It allows us to see more of those background characters as well. I'm hoping the writers can keep up the interest w/charcters in the field and at HQ.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
          *crawling through door*

I must admit. . I've been posting in the . . .*gulp*. . .Kavanagh/Weir Ship thread! *hanging head in shame*

THere's a Kavanaugh/Weir thread????
          sigpic
          Read about my SGA set visit at My LiveJournal - June 2007

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. It's the Weir/Everett thread that I think is serious...
            Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

*crawling through door*

Seriously. . I noticed in LFP and "Sleep" that TPTB did a great job of weaving two storylines together. Other shows do it on a regular basis - I'm thinking "CSI" for the moment...multiple storylines going on every episode. It allows us to see more of those background characters as well. I'm hoping the writers can keep up the interest w/charcters in the field and at HQ.
              *smack!*

Get yourself back over here!!!

och I quite like the thought of Grodin/Weir myself..

Comment

Originally posted by Salty
                THere's a Kavanaugh/Weir thread????
                Bwwwaaaahahahahahahahahahah! My thought's exactly! Seriously - my face did this when I read that. Wait, who's everett? I ship for Grodin/Weir too. Well I would if I hadn't been spoiled for the end of season 1.
                "You are a distraction who is permanently distracted."~ Ohhhhh...sparkly...
                "Well, we came, we saw, we got spanked."-Harper (Andromeda)
                Don't shake that. It's liable to blow up.~L.
                Ewww! What's that mess on the floor? I think my sanity just broke.
                "My ovaries are exploding with maternal instinct..." Partylikeits1984 on DH's character on Traders
                Even if the voices in my head aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas.
                Very smart people intimidate me. And turn me on. Do you see my problem in the dating game?~Aurore
                (Same boat. Small World. ~ r-h)

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                  I'm pretty sure it's a joke. It's the Weir/Everett thread that I think is serious...
                  Kavanagh/Weir is a joke - in Atlantis Season 2 folder. Good for a giggle. Don't know what has happened today - I go off to the dentist and when I come back there are threads with Liz shipping with just about everycharacter on the show.

Comment

Kavanagh/Weir is a joke - in Atlantis Season 2 folder. Good for a giggle. Don't know what has happened today - I go off to the dentist and when I come back there are threads with Liz shipping with just about everycharacter on the show.
                    Well that'll teach you.

Comment

Originally posted by ra-hanna
                      Bwwwaaaahahahahahahahahahah! My thought's exactly! Seriously - my face did this when I read that. Wait, who's everett? I ship for Grodin/Weir too. Well I would if I hadn't been spoiled for the end of season 1.
                      Spoilers for the Seige Pt II
                      Everett is
                      Spoiler:
                      the colonel that comes through the gate to help defend Atlantis from the Wraith

I agree on the offworld episodes to be slightly weaker than the Atlantis based ones, it is after all called Stargate Atlantis, so Atlantis would be the secondary focus.

Have to check out the Kavanaugh/Weir thread... they've got to have some funny conversations there. They do seem to ship Weir off with almost anybody, I'm suprised there isn't a Weir/Zelenka or Weir/Beckett yet.
                      Last edited by Blue Banrigh; 10 March 2005, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I'm still disoriented. .KavaWeir is in Atl. season 1.

Truly think some folks became ill in that room - watch your step. *LOL*

Comment

I'm going to agree with an eariler sentiment and say Kavanagh/ anyone is just disturbing.

Some more snippets from the magazine, which I've been voraciously reading from cover to cover the past few days. The interviews are actually highly enjoyable, despite the comma splices.

Brad Wright on writing characters:

“…the moment you can hear [the real] actor’s voice in your head as you’re writing the script, they’re acting it out. They are that person… The one that was most difficult to nail in both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis was the hero. In Rick’s case, he hates playing heroes, whereas Joe likes playing the hero. I’m so accustomed to not writing the hero moments for Rick that for Atlantis, I had to remind myself with Joe that, “Right— I can write the hero!” That’s another nice difference between O’Neill and Sheppard.”

The next on is from a feature article where the writer got to visit and observe on set for three days while the finales were being filmed, which is a very fresh spin on a 'behind the scenes' feature that I very much enjoyed reading. This particular bit caught my attention. I'm hiding it because of Siege I spoilers.

Spoiler:
                          As they try a rehearsal, executive producer Brad Wright comes in and takes a look at how things are going, before having a quick discussion with Martin Wood about the number of shots fired by Sheppard. He’s perhaps concerned with the fine line between showing a character at the end of his tether and crossing into brutality— after all, the Wraith may be a dangerous enemy, but shooting an unarmed, caged, creature over and over is still difficult to justify in a heroic character.

And a random Peter DeLuise quote from the same article:

"More pineapple! Show me the pineapple!!"

I love PD.
                          "Someone duplicated the duplicators?"

~ Jack; Smoke and Mirrors

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

Amelia's Violin - a Jonas/ OC romance. Version 2.0. New, improved, and COMPLETE!!!

A Day in the life of Sparky:

...???... ......!!!.....[ ]..............!!!... .........

The End!!

Comment

Persephone, what magazine were the articles from? Have to look out for them.

Have any pineapples turned up in Atlantis? I think there was one in Home.

Comment

It's the official "Stargate SG-1" magazine. This is only the third volume, though I wonder if they shouldn't change the name to just Stargate in general. LOL
                              "Someone duplicated the duplicators?"

~ Jack; Smoke and Mirrors

*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*

Amelia's Violin - a Jonas/ OC romance. Version 2.0. New, improved, and COMPLETE!!!

A Day in the life of Sparky:

...???... ......!!!.....[ ]..............!!!... .........

The End!!

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone
                                The next on is from a feature article where the writer got to visit and observe on set for three days while the finales were being filmed, which is a very fresh spin on a 'behind the scenes' feature that I very much enjoyed reading. This particular bit caught my attention. I'm hiding it because of Siege I spoilers.
                                Spoiler:

As they try a rehearsal, executive producer Brad Wright comes in and takes a look at how things are going, before having a quick discussion with Martin Wood about the number of shots fired by Sheppard. He’s perhaps concerned with the fine line between showing a character at the end of his tether and crossing into brutality— after all, the Wraith may be a dangerous enemy, but shooting an unarmed, caged, creature over and over is still difficult to justify in a heroic character.
                                You know, this is something which has struck me in the series — there are legitimate reasons to dislike the good guys. In comparison with SG-1, Atlantis is so dark, and yet you still have characters like Sheppard and Weir who will not give up hope.
                                Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Working...
                                X