No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family and College Football Saturday! Good luck to Navy!

Couldn't post yesterday as I kept getting this weird error message that the forum was offline and I was viewing an archived version... Seems to be working now.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    The Patriots actually won their Thursday night game, but I fell asleep only 10 minutes in. I woke up at the last 5 minutes of the game. Ooopsie! This brings them all the way up to 3-10.
    Whoops! But hey, at least they won!

Falcon Horus, sounds like it was a great trip!

Oh, and we never learn anything from history. Generally speaking.
    Santayana was right. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

So a family friend's mother just passed away, so I'm going to the funeral on Wednesday. Thing is, though, it's at the same funeral home that my family has always used (so I've been there for my grandmother, father, mother, aunt, and brother). I'm already trying to mentally prepare myself for being in that building again. Whoo boy.

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Couldn't post yesterday as I kept getting this weird error message that the forum was offline and I was viewing an archived version... Seems to be working now.
      Weird!! Didn't happen to me, but then I do often get a delayed reaction on here. But I never know if it's the forum, or my old-as-dirt-PC, or my internet connection.

Santayana was right. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Comment

I forgot the grams for the rations of chocolate a week -- it's 56 grams (2 ounces) per person per week.

Today started with a drive to the post office cause the delivery I wasn't expecting this week, arrived on thursday when no one was home so they dropped it off at the post office instead. I forgot I ordered lights for my new Lego sets.

Thus building my Alpine Lodge this weekend.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Okay I'm looking for advice. I need to ship a Christmas present a few states away. But one of the presents in the package is a glass. What's the best/cheapest/easiest way to ship it? I'm thinking I need to buy some bubble wrap, and maybe I can reuse a box I already have. Or would it be better and safer to just go to someplace like UPS or Staples that ships stuff? I don't want to spend more on shipping than the glass was in the first place, but I also don't want my friend to get a broken glass.

I would normally have never bought a present that is fragile, but it's just so freaking perfect for my friend that I had to get it. She's a shark lover and sarcastic like me, and the glass has a shark on it with the words "Bite Me". I mean, come on, that's perfect.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Lazy Sunday!

First off, here's this week's College Football Roundup! Navy fell to Army in their annual rivalry game, 17-11. And with that, the regular season is over and Bowl Season begins! Air Force will play in the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec 23, USC will play in the Holiday Bowl on Dec 27, and Tennessee will play in the Citrus Bowl on Jan 1. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in our favor! (oh wait, wrong franchise )

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            I forgot the grams for the rations of chocolate a week -- it's 56 grams (2 ounces) per person per week.
            2 ounces a WEEK?!?! That's just wrong.

Today started with a drive to the post office cause the delivery I wasn't expecting this week, arrived on thursday when no one was home so they dropped it off at the post office instead. I forgot I ordered lights for my new Lego sets.

Thus building my Alpine Lodge this weekend.
            Yay, Lego fun!

Okay I'm looking for advice. I need to ship a Christmas present a few states away. But one of the presents in the package is a glass. What's the best/cheapest/easiest way to ship it? I'm thinking I need to buy some bubble wrap, and maybe I can reuse a box I already have. Or would it be better and safer to just go to someplace like UPS or Staples that ships stuff? I don't want to spend more on shipping than the glass was in the first place, but I also don't want my friend to get a broken glass.

I would normally have never bought a present that is fragile, but it's just so freaking perfect for my friend that I had to get it. She's a shark lover and sarcastic like me, and the glass has a shark on it with the words "Bite Me". I mean, come on, that's perfect.
            LMAO, that does sound perfect!

As to packing, I would actually double box the glass. Wrap the glass in a couple of sheets of tissue paper, then gently bubble wrap, then put in a smaller box and make sure to fill any empty voids in the box with packing paper, newspaper, etc. Basically, you want to create a "nest" of paper to completely surround the item on all sides and keep it from moving around in the box. Then seal that box. Then put the smaller box into a larger box (at least 2 inches bigger on all sides), with another "nest" of more crumpled paper--again, not too tightly, but make sure there's enough in there so the smaller box can't move around. There's no such thing as too much when it comes to fragile stuff.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Air Force will play in the Armed Forces Bowl on Dec 23...
              They better not loose!

...Tennessee will play in the Citrus Bowl...
              There's a Citrus Bowl?

*looks it up*

"The bowl is operated by Florida Citrus Sports, a non-profit group that also organizes the Pop-Tarts Bowl and Florida Classic."

This makes my day.

2 ounces a WEEK?!?! That's just wrong.
              Well, it was WWII so better that than nothing, I guess.

@JT -- re: the packing

What Kitty said. Wrap the glass in bubble and paper and make absolutely sure it can't go anywhere inside its nest. It'll make it in one piece to the destination without a scratch that way.

Comment

Pop-Tarts Bowl??? I have never heard of that before.

Thanks for the shipping advice, ladies! I'll probably send it on Tuesday. I was going to do it on Monday but there's a big storm that will still be going on Monday morning, and then in the afternoon I have a doctor's appointment. Well, I might have to cancel..... Let me explain. Yesterday (Sunday) I spent extra time over at my brother's house for Sunday dinner to help them decorate their Christmas tree (I don't put one up). My brother was coughing badly. Then around mid-afternoon he announces he just took his temp and it's over 100. He says "but I know my body and I don't feel like I have a fever." (So, what exactly prompted you to take your temp, dear brother, may I ask? I swear, he is such a knucklehead sometimes.)

By the time I left after dinner, he was coughing like crazy. So I've now been exposed. And due to my current arthritis medicine, my resistance is lower than normal. I'm not sure what the incubation period is. We'll see.

Comment

Update - my brother has Covid. My sister-in-law forced him to test this morning when he still had a fever. I had my booster in October, so I hope that protects me.

I will be cancelling my appointment, though. It's with my cancer doctor (just a routine check-in). There will potentially be people there who are on chemo and such. I will not spread the germs.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

JT-2, ugh, your brother's an IDIOT. I hope you don't get sick and I'm so sorry he screwed up your appointment! Ugh!

"The bowl is operated by Florida Citrus Sports, a non-profit group that also organizes the Pop-Tarts Bowl and Florida Classic."

This makes my day.
                    Pop-Tarts Bowl?!?!?! Talk about corporate branding gone wild!

Comment

JT-2, ugh, your brother's an IDIOT. I hope you don't get sick and I'm so sorry he screwed up your appointment! Ugh!
                      A friend of mine texted me saying "he's a MAN (also known as an idiot)".

Sorry, Who Knows.

Pop-Tarts Bowl?!?!?! Talk about corporate branding gone wild!
                      Right??? I'm now imagining other possible Bowls with corporate names and cracking myself up. The Advil Bowl. The Pledge Bowl. The Dr. Pepper Bowl.

Comment

LOL x1000 but also... I sincerely hope your booster protects you.

Right??? I'm now imagining other possible Bowls with corporate names and cracking myself up. The Advil Bowl. The Pledge Bowl. The Dr. Pepper Bowl.
                        Isn't a peach the fruity symbol for Georgia so if Florida can have the Citrus Bowl, they can have the Peach Bowl.

Comment

LOL x1000 but also... I sincerely hope your booster protects you.
                          Thanks!

Isn't a peach the fruity symbol for Georgia so if Florida can have the Citrus Bowl, they can have the Peach Bowl.
                          Yes, and there is one!! And everyone needs to view the whole list of them here. OMG, my imagination was not as wild as the real names get. There's a bowl called the Duke's Mayo Bowl.

Comment

Sorry, Who Knows.
                            It is OK JT-2, everybody is entittkled to their own opinion.

But the more I hear, the more questions I have.
                            If men are considered idiots, why do so many LGBTQ... (Rainbow girls) want to identify as boys?

If, as we see in the news coming out of America, so many school children are being killed by other children bringing guns to school, why does not America set a minimum age to own, or to have access to a gun? Why are parents not held resposible and punished for their children's actions?

On the number of tournament, and strange names, do we know why this happens?
                            Is it some state or town that gets jealous because the rules preclude them from competing and says "We will have our own tournament, and call it ......., and restrict entry to who we want"?
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

We don't really do politics here, so I'm not touching any of those with a ten foot pole.

And I have no idea about the tournaments. I never knew of like 90% of the ones listed. I follow pro-football more than college football. Maybe SK will know.

Comment

It is not politics. Accusing or naming one or another political party as being responsible for all the evil, or otherwise, would be politics.
                                With regards to my first question, it is a genuine query because I am too old to understand the young things of today, and I sometimes wonder if they understand themselves. So I was not expecting an answer.

The second question is not political, just common sense. If children are stealing/borrowing their parents guns, and they are considered too young to be criminally responsible, then who is responsible for their actions. And logically it is the parents.
                                We have kids over here in Australia stealing cars, speeding & killing people, but all the courts do is slap their wrists & turn them loose to do it again. They are too young to know better.
                                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Working...
                                X