Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizengamot
    WHAT THE HELL BUGS??!?! HOSTILE?!? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? JUST SHUT YOUR FLAPPING TRAP!!!! true that I felt it, but we just gotta fight, for our right to paaartay!
    JEEZ JULI!! You don't have to yell!!!

Weeee, it's an old pic!

Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
    Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

Originally posted by LurkerLa
      You, too? I had to shovel my driveway when I got home from work just so I could pull into the garage. And tomorrow morning I'll have to shovel it again. Stupid hill. [/ot]
      Argh, yes. Dad got the snow blower out when he got home (let me tell ya, I will never be able to distinguish between that thing and a lawn mower, which means it's terribly disturbing to hear it start up when you know there's six inches of snow on the ground), and then about half an hour ago, he dragged me out to help with the two inches that had come down. And right now I hear him out there with a shovel again...

Oy.

Originally posted by LurkerLa
      Just wanted to give a big "Thank you" to Athena and Mel, for that wonderful little review of shippy moments. I'm saving that as a reference sheet. I can't help but think it will come in handy later.
      Hey, always ready to help a shipper out. I think we were mostly amused (and maybe a teeny bit scared?) that we posted such identical things at the same time. Maybe this is a sign that chatting on AIM every day of the week isn't healthy.

...nah.
      Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
      Last update: 14 April 2006
      Melyanna's Multimedia
      Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
        Hey, always ready to help a shipper out. I think we were mostly amused (and maybe a teeny bit scared?) that we posted such identical things at the same time. Maybe this is a sign that chatting on AIM every day of the week isn't healthy.

...nah.
        nah!

Wait we are chatting on AIM right now.

It's kind of funny because I was chatting with Blue Banrigh's sister? I think and she was like "guess what is on TV" and I was like "Stargate". Then she's like now "guess what episode (season 1)" and I guessed "Before I Sleep" and I was right!

I think I scared her. So Blue I think I scared your sibling the other day.
        ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Sparky never came up. But I talked about Weir for four pages. If that counts. I also got to call the Ancients "impotent" to which two people independently of each other wanted to correct to "important."
          That's fabulous lol. Sounds like it was fun.

To second Lurker--a thanks to Mel and Atenkatt for putting those lists up, I had even forgotten some of those moments. Is there someway to have those "posted" in the description of the thread? I know when I first started shipping, I went to IMdB (I know I'm nuts) and asked if there was anything between the two beyond what I noticed in "Underground" and "Suspicion"--it really took me until I got here to find out the full truth, but I htink those lists would certainly answer questions like those for new shippers!

Side note, back a few pages when thenature of ship was being discussed, especially astro's post about other ships reminded me of a question I wanted to ask:

What other ships have you shipped for?

I wanted to see if there was some sort of pattern...I know some among us at one time shipped for Mulder/Scully (as did I, but I drifted away from the show).

Thanks and don't forget to make a Jor snowman--make something good out of all this snow!

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
            What have I shipped for ....

John/Delenn (Babylon 5, Canon)
            Talia/Ivanova (Bablyon 5, Canon)
            Worf/Troi (NextGen, Briefly Canon)
            Toby/Andi (West Wing, Canon until the aliens ate their brains)
            Claire/Jack (Law and Order, Canon)
            Sam/Janet (SG1, SOOOOO not Canon)
            Olivia/Alex (Law and Order: Special Victims Unit, boy can fans have vivid imaginations...)

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
              Just thought I would pop in and say:

Shweir Forever!!!!
              QASIM!!! *Big Squishy Hugs*!!!

Always knew you'd come over to the Dark Side eventually.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Buggy542
                JEEZ JULI!! You don't have to yell!!!
                Lizard!! Tisk Tisk!! Noiw I have to go out picture you! Why aint you eva on Msn?

Nope, nothing going on between these two
                Citizen of Braneville

Comment

Astro claimed I'm a Josh/Donna shipper (West Wing), but that's not entirely true. I think they're freaking adorable, but it's not a make-or-break thing for me. I also thought Donna's boyfriend in Season 4 (played by Christian Slater) was really an awesome guy, and her boyfriend early in Season 3 was a really nice guy too, until the aliens sucked his brain out when he reappeared in Season 6. And alas, the aliens got to Josh and Donna too. Otherwise, in WW, I love Jed/Abbey, which was absolutely canon, as they're the President and First Lady. Though I gotta say, that's one of the best on-screen marriages I've ever seen. There's all kinds of tension coming from their vastly differing opinions on occasion, and naturally from the stress of the White House, but, as one of the producers said of them, at the end of the day, you don't pity them. You envy them. They're obviously deeply in love, and nothing will put a dent in their loyalty.

And I liked CJ/Danny, Toby/Andi, and Charlie/Zoey too, all of which were pursued on the show at one time or another.

And X-Files... meh. Never cared much for Mulder/Scully, though before I finally quit watching the show, I thought Scully and Doggett had a nice vibe. Still, never watched X-Files for anything remotely romantic. Wasn't into that kind of thing at the time, unless it was written by Jane Austen.

There's the classic sci-fi ship, of course – Han/Leia, back in my first fandom. I'm also a bit of a Ron/Hermione fan in HP, but honestly, I'm less interested in ship in that fandom than I am in the villain, which makes me truly strange. And ironically enough, Blue Banrigh and I actually bumped into each other a couple years ago, before I got into SG at all, when she was reading an LotR fic I wrote, because we were both into Faramir/Éowyn. Guh. Talk about a love story!
                  Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                  Last update: 14 April 2006
                  Melyanna's Multimedia
                  Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

Side note, back a few pages when thenature of ship was being discussed, especially astro's post about other ships reminded me of a question I wanted to ask:

Haven't been much of a shipper in the past (Mulder/Scully & Sam/Jack were just "there" - I didn't care one way or the other) - but I liked John/Delenn in Babylon 5. Shep/Weir reminds me much of that pairing, which is probably why I like those two together.

Good to see Major Fischer back!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by wizengamot

Nope, nothing going on between these two
                      Yet another case of...

Personal space? What personal space?

Argh, yes. Dad got the snow blower out when he got home (let me tell ya, I will never be able to distinguish between that thing and a lawn mower, which means it's terribly disturbing to hear it start up when you know there's six inches of snow on the ground), and then about half an hour ago, he dragged me out to help with the two inches that had come down. And right now I hear him out there with a shovel again...
                      Yeah, well, two years in Arizona did not prepare me for shoveling snow - I've thrown out my back and am sitting here in terrible pain (y'know, now that I think about it I wonder why I didn't bother taking a pain killer...). [/ot] (for real, this time).

As for who else I've shipped -

Since ship isn't the main reason I like West Wing, I'm happy with any pairings. I like early bantering Josh and Donna, and I like Charlie/Zoey too. Only pairing I'm really against in that show is Josh/Sam, 'cause it just squicks me out. Actually, all the slash pairings that show up in that fandom... *shiver*

I liked Mulder/Scully, sorta, but it was in the way I liked Sam and Jack - 'cause I knew I was supposed to, not because I was really into it.

Thinking back on it, the only other show I've really gotten into ship wise is Gilmore Girls (Luke/Lorelai, of course).

EDIT: Oh, I completely forgot Star Wars! I loved Han/Leia when I was in high school - although that was before I really discovered the internet, so I didn't get into it. And I like Ron/Hermione, too, although it's another thing I don't really get into. (As an aside, a friend and I put all the HP characters into positions in the US government, and we both agreed that if Hermione were to be President, Ron would have to be First Gentleman. But then we got into first cats and owls and... )
                      Last edited by LurkerLa; 08 December 2005, 07:34 PM.
                      ~La (I used to be a lurker, but this place just sucks you in...)
                      The Nameless Forest. Also, my LJ, where you can find my fic attempts.

Comment

Interesting ship info all.

There's the classic sci-fi ship, of course – Han/Leia, back in my first fandom. I'm also a bit of a Ron/Hermione fan in HP, but honestly, I'm less interested in ship in that fandom than I am in the villain, which makes me truly strange. And ironically enough, Blue Banrigh and I actually bumped into each other a couple years ago, before I got into SG at all, when she was reading an LotR fic I wrote, because we were both into Faramir/Éowyn. Guh. Talk about a love story!
                        Faramir/Eowyn was actually my fave part of the books and I was sorry it didn't make it fully into the theatrical release of ROTK. I enjoyed Faramir's character from the first, but it seemed so natural for him to
                        Spoiler:
                        end up with Eowyn

You know, I never really thought about the Han/Leia thing one way or the other. I'll have to watch SW again looking for the development of that ship.

I liked John/Delenn on Bab5 as well FP--just seemed perfect. Somehow it seems that SGA has combined all my fave elements from other pairings into one and that just makes this all the more fun! However, I also loved the Jeannie/Major Nelson dynamic on I Dream of Jeannie even though it was a moot point really (and eventually
                        Spoiler:
                        canon
                        . I doubth that needed spoilers, but hey lol. I really can't explain that one, so I'll leave it alone lol. Too much old school, classic TV is my only excuse.

Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt. Ritter
                          I could spend several years typing out everything we've talked about. We base our idea of the Shep/Teyla ship on the dynamic between the two, mainly in the early parts of Season 1, the Cave Scene in Rising is something we always talk about.That scene had some incredibly tenderness to it (in our opinion).
                          There was certainly a deliberate attempt to set these two characters up early on in the show... Absolutely... the promos on GW said as much. That particular moment in the cave was obviously meant to highlight some possible UST between the characters. But something else happened on Rising as well... Sheppard and Weir standing on the balcony arguing about mounting a rescue mission... lot of very natural UST between two strong personalities of opposing points of view. It was interesting because on this occasion we had two people feeling their way around each other and both obviously wanting to do the right thing.
                          Interestingly enough... in the early days, I didn't find Weir very interesting but I still saw the sparks and the natural chemistry between her and Sheppard.

Tenderness, however, is not necessarily a criteria for romance only. Lots of tender gestures are made all throughout the show. Just recently, there's been some lovely moments between Beckett and Teyla... but no one's shouting SHIP, are they?

Then only a few episodes later, Suspicion. Throughout that episode, he lends his trust of Teyla to everyone. Going so far as the say "Open The Damn Gate" to Bates. Then in the same episode, Bates makes a sinker of a line. "Sir, I believe you're letting your personal feelings get in the way of your judgement." We actually cite paranoid Bates for alot of our reasons.
                          If you think Bates is paranoid, why then are you citing him? Paranoid people aren't exactly the best judge of character. However, I don't necessarily disagree that Bates was wrong in saying what he did. His motives were, as far as I could tell, above reproach. He was exercising caution.
                          As far as allowing personal feelings to overrule his judgement, well, Sheppard does that quite a bit. It is who he is. Yes, it could mean he has special feelings for Teyla but then it could just mean that he cares deeply about the people around him. He works on gut instinct. In The Storm/The Eye, Runner, Trinity, The Hive... we see it's one of the things that make him tick. In The Storms, he thinks Weir is dead, he goes on a rampage... in The Runner,
                          Spoiler:
                          he hesitates before shooting Ford. In Trinity, he allows Rodney to talk him into going back to the planet on the basis of trust.
                          But apart from hardcore slashers, no one seems to think that's "ship" in the romantic sense.

I'll refrain from saying anything about Conversion because I'm sure you all know about it. We talk about a deep bond between Shep and Teyla, but I see how you can see the same thing between Shep and Weir. I supose you could argue this point any way, I'm just giving alittle insight out and hopefully bringing some back to my thread. Maybe I'll stop by from time. Hope I answered some of your question. I have a tendency to not be clear.
                          It could be that he is very attached to both women in different ways but it doesn't mean that it's romance with a capital R... Just because we care about someone doesn't mean we want a romantic relationship with them.

My biggest problem with the whole Sheppard/Teyla thing (apart from the lack of development) is the lack of interest on Sheppard's part with Teyla as a person from another culture. As much as I hated Sanctuary, I could see that Sheppard was googly eyed over Chaya as a person and who she was as a person from another galaxy. Sheppard may have a lot of respect for her as a warrior, a team member and a sparring partner but there is no indication that he is really interested in her as an Athosian. Sure, he may want her for her body but definitely not in the way that S/T shippers think I know I've said this in the past but I don't think a cross-cultural relationship can go the distance if either of the pairing have no interest in the other person's culture. That's why in Epiphany,
                          Spoiler:
                          Sheppard was in no danger of being really seduced because he was bored and disinterested by the whole ascension deal.
                          That and the fact that the writers have no real interest in giving the Athosians a proper backstory.

In my very humble opinion, I believe that people generally "ship" for characters that they like. Those who like the idea of Sheppard and Teyla are fans of Teyla or Sheppard... they identify with the character and they want what they believe to be the best for that particular character, canonical or otherwise. But to me, "ship" is a noun.. not a verb... It has to be there onscreen... consistently and continuously. It's not something I do, it's something that is written in and played with conviction by the actors as is the case of Firefly. I didn't like the S/J pairing on SG-1, not because it wasn't there but because it was barely there and one half of the ship looked rather disinterested half the time.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Han/Leia was just there to me, and I didn't much have an opinion about it. Mulder/Scully the same.... for the first five years. And than I started to hate it. Actively.

Jed/Abbey all the way! Josh/Donna and Charlie/Zoey were sort of good plot that i could have had or not had without caring much. Danny/CJ was good early... but those aliens.....

Speaking of odd West Wing slash pairings. ... there are a disturbing number of Sam (Carter)/CJ Cregg stories. And they almost all involve really bad descriptions of Washington DC gay bars.....

Comment

I'm a Ron/Hermione shipper too!
                              I always ship the obvious..Harry/Ginny, Sam/Jack, Han/Leia..
                              and I have never been wrong about a ship.
                              With Liz/John, I think Teyla is kinda in the way. I haven't noticed Shep giving too much attention to Teyla. In Conversion he was just turning into this wraith.. and was acting like an animal (aka Broca Divide) and when they were practicing that stick fight with Teyla, she barely wore anything. Now I don't know how many guys don't go for girls in sexy outfits even if they love someone else. And Shep was wild then because of his conversion!

With Elizabeth, I have noticed a lot more obvious feelings. He comes to talk to her when she's sad, gives her gifts, this and that.. Don't know how about you guys but I call it love!
                              I mean Liz is friends with McKay too right? Maybe not as good friends but you know what I mean! And he doesn't come to talk to her! Only our cutie Sheppy does! wohoooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                                Speaking of odd West Wing slash pairings. ... there are a disturbing number of Sam (Carter)/CJ Cregg stories. And they almost all involve really bad descriptions of Washington DC gay bars.....

Just...
                                ~La (I used to be a lurker, but this place just sucks you in...)
                                The Nameless Forest. Also, my LJ, where you can find my fic attempts.

Comment

Working...
                                X