Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
    The earliest my state goes to is the 1500s. It seems so recent.
    That's AD?

LOL -- kind warning, I studied archaeology for a bit. My sister is an Assyriologist. And you could say we're history geeks. Usually when we're talking about 1500 it means BC cause AD is too recent to our liking. Not any less interesting, just too recent.

And no way, there isn't anything older than 1500 in your state... that's impossible.

Originally posted by hopesetfree View Post
    It sounds like you're having a great time, Falcon Horus! May your vacation days always be sunny (without too much sunburn!) and relaxing!
    My distant Italian ancestors made sure I don't have to worry about that.

And by distant, I truly mean distant -- possibly during the height of the medieval times in which Italians traded with Brabant and Holland, or even further than that when the Romans skipped through these lands.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    Sounds like a wonderful vacation. I'm so glad you're having a good time!
    We did. Watched the videos I made during kayaking and forgot that they have sound.
    GoPro has great audio and video -- and I facepalmed a few times with my comments thus.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    (The math girl in me just couldn't help but laugh at how clueless Ford was at prime/not prime. I mean, come on!)
    I too would have been clueless.
    I feel Ford's pain.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Mr. SR and I are going straight through no matter how painful. We're up to Doppelganger now and the most interesting thing to me has been some of his comments. He thinks they should have hooked up Ronon and Teyla, doesn't understand how anybody can think John is interested in Teyla romantically and that they all make a series of bad decisions that ultimately comes back to bite them repeatedly. He yells at the TV during military ops and Sam's hair drives him to distraction. Me, I just nod and smile.
    LOL -- All hail Mr. SR's wisdom.

But then I have the same problem with teacher shows. Usually the biggest mistake is having the kids already in the room before the teacher shows up. Disaster waiting to happen.
    That's just a disaster in the making.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Hope you're all enjoying this Canon Monday and Memorial Day (here in the US). Sometime today, please take a moment to remember those who have given their lives in service to our nation.

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
      Sometimes I think anybody that served in the military should never watch a tv show about the military. I remember back when Tour of Duty first come on in the late 80's/early 90's, my dad would always comment on everything they did wrong. For those of you that don't know Tour of Duty was about the Vietnam War. The entire second season of the show was set on a base my dad served at and he just went on and on about how badly they screwed up everything that year.
      Heh, this is probably why my dad never watches fictional military shows. He sticks with the documentaries on History Channel and the like.

Boy you got that right. I can go all the way back to watching a show called "Combat" with my dad who said if it had really been that way they could have won WWII in 3 weeks. I also remember watching Sunday with my son, who had been in Air Force ROTC and the first thing he noticed was that John's collar was wrong and his shoes weren't shined. lol

But then I have the same problem with teacher shows. Usually the biggest mistake is having the kids already in the room before the teacher shows up. Disaster waiting to happen.

Mr. SR also freaks at blinking colored lights on computers which SGA has a tendency toward.
      Oooooh, pretty blinky lights look all sciencey! No seriously, that's probably what the set designers were thinking.
      (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
      Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        That's AD?

LOL -- kind warning, I studied archaeology for a bit. My sister is an Assyriologist. And you could say we're history geeks. Usually when we're talking about 1500 it means BC cause AD is too recent to our liking. Not any less interesting, just too recent.
        Yeah, I meant CE. There is older stuff, I just forgot. Now I want some books about Assyria.
        sigpic
        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Heh, this is probably why my dad never watches fictional military shows. He sticks with the documentaries on History Channel and the like.
          Sounds a lot like my dad. Except he makes exceptions for Tour of Duty and M*A*S*H. I think he actually watches the History Channel more than I do.
          I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

Oooooh, pretty blinky lights look all sciencey! No seriously, that's probably what the set designers were thinking.
            Lol, they're not the only offenders. Seems to hit all the sci-fi shows. For some reason, Talyn from Farscape immediately popped to mind.

I'm starting to experience re-watch envy. I have a few digital episodes I can watch on the plane. Heading back to Gotham tomorrow. I'm there every few months for work, but this time I actually get three full days to play before the flight home.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

Sounds a lot like my dad. Except he makes exceptions for Tour of Duty and M*A*S*H. I think he actually watches the History Channel more than I do.
              Ah, M*A*S*H. Good times!

Of course, these days History Channel seems to be a lot less history and a lot more reality TV. Swamp People and Pawn Stars? I. Don't. Think. So.

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
              Lol, they're not the only offenders. Seems to hit all the sci-fi shows. For some reason, Talyn from Farscape immediately popped to mind.

I'm starting to experience re-watch envy. I have a few digital episodes I can watch on the plane. Heading back to Gotham tomorrow. I'm there every few months for work, but this time I actually get three full days to play before the flight home.
              LOL yeah, I don't know about some of these sci-fi shows. I guess it's a way to stretch the budgets...

Oooh, have fun on your trip!
              (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
              Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Ah, M*A*S*H. Good times!

Of course, these days History Channel seems to be a lot less history and a lot more reality TV. Swamp People and Pawn Stars? I. Don't. Think. So.
                Exactly!!

And that is why better than half of the non-sci-fi DVDs I own are History Channel documentaries. I will admit to having a weak spot for American Pickers, though. Especially since one of my grandfathers was like the people they buy stuff from.

Comment

Exactly!!

And that is why better than half of the non-sci-fi DVDs I own are History Channel documentaries. I will admit to having a weak spot for American Pickers, though. Especially since one of my grandfathers was like the people they buy stuff from.
                  I've never gotten into those kinds of reality shows, along with the singing, dancing and lost in the woods ones, but I never met a home reno show I don't love.
                  sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Exactly!!

Heh, I must admit a fondness for The Curse of Oak Island. It's such fun treasure-hunting conspiracy theorist crack.

I've never gotten into those kinds of reality shows, along with the singing, dancing and lost in the woods ones, but I never met a home reno show I don't love.
                    Stone House Revival, baby!

Comment

I must introduce you to my mom. She likes those kinds of shows to.

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Heh, I must admit a fondness for The Curse of Oak Island. It's such fun treasure-hunting conspiracy theorist crack.

Stone House Revival, baby!

Haven't gotten into that one yet. Closest I get is Expedition Unknown on Travel Channel.

Comment

The only show I watch on History is Vikings, which is fun, but definitely something of a different genre than all those shows you guys are talking about.
                        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                          The only show I watch on History is Vikings, which is fun, but definitely something of a different genre than all those shows you guys are talking about.
                          Same here.

Then again, I am a big fan of the National Geographic Channel and Discovery Channel, so I find the similar shows there.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                            My dad watches Vikings too. He used to grumble about the historical inaccuracies, but I think he's resigned himself to it at this point.

Comment

The Last Kingdom is more historical, possibly.

(I might just watch Viking for Rollo type reasons.)
                              sigpic
                              Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

My dad watches Vikings too. He used to grumble about the historical inaccuracies, but I think he's resigned himself to it at this point.
                                Well Lothbrook is as legendary as King Arthur, I guess. It's a romanticized version of historical Viking lore.
                                Nevertheless, never thought they would show a blood eagle being performed. Bloody as it is, it is one of my favorite scenes.

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                                The Last Kingdom is more historical, possibly.
                                Yet to see season 2 but it is quite good indeed, historically wise and entertaining too.

Comment

Working...
                                X