Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion Thunk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was cute, McKay's Girl!

Much as I love the interactions between McKay and Zelenka, he's known Carson longer! I sure hope more McKay and Zelenka scenes doesn't mean fewer between McKay and Beckett.

It's so unfair that PTW is one of the episodes they're not showing during reruns. Poor Carson!

Speaking of which, have any of you seen the latest (to my knowledge) Carson video? It's more of a Carson/Perna video, all PTW. In case you're interested, it's hosted here by the ever generous illman:
    http://www2.streamload.com/Nodes/Nod...deID=981930892
    It's Grace.

Big Country is all Beckett.

Black-eyed Boy is another, which can be found here:
    http://doofywood.tripod.com/id4.html
    Don't say "ka" until you've tried it.

Comment

Thats a great video! aww! Becketts so cute!

BTW, did you just go read the whole McKay thunk thread or where you just looking for that particular post?

sigpic
      Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
      Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
        BTW, did you just go read the whole McKay thunk thread or where you just looking for that particular post?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but fanfiction.net now has a Carson C2! The staff seems to be rather diligent; there are 33 stories cataloged already. I only just discovered it, myself, so I thought I'd share.

http://www.fanfiction.net/c2/14713/0/1/

Comment

I just love Carson, I just think he's the most down to earth character on the show. I'm not saying that I don't like the others but he seems like the most likely person that I would bump into on the street. I think that's why I like him so much...............................................OK! I do think he's also very sexy!
          Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
          The Strongest Will Survive!
          I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

I'm thinking that an award to Paul or David won't make a difference to TPTB. By now, they've already got pretty well into shooting next seasons eps so an award in the near future won't have any impact on those. Besides, having lurked in Martin Gero's thread, I'm guessing that the writers go into writing an episode with a certain set of characters in mind and add in the supporting characters as they need too. If it happens that they need Beckett in, say, a McKay centric episode, then you'll get more McGillion screentime, but if it calls for Zelenka... well you get more Nykl screentime. That said, I'm all for more screentime for Carson...

Comment

I think he's already been promoted to main cast for season 2. In fact:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2004/1...ntisireg.shtml

As a series regular, McGillion should have his name in the opening credits and is more likely to appear in all or nearly all 20 episodes of Season Two.
              because (1) Beckett and McKay aren't the great friends they were early on so there's less call for Beckett scenes;
              Well, how do you figure? Keep in mind we don't see everything that goes on in Atlantis on screen, so it's quite likely that the two of them get together for lunch or dinner to chat when they have the time to spare. Regarding Rodney's greater interaction with Radek, the last few episodes of S1 were rather tech heavy which isn't Carson's thing. When/If they get back to more of the beginning S1 type episodes, we might see more Rodney/Carson interaction... from the sounds of it Duet will be a good ep for that.

(2) we now know that McKay knows as much if not more about medical theories than Beckett does ("Hot Zone" and "Before I Sleep"),
              It's been a while since I've seen the episodes, but I can see Rodney knowing more about the medical things specific to those episodes only because of his previous knowledge of SG-1's experiences and that there was a largely technical componant to those medical problems. Any other medical knowledge he thinks he has is not nearly as comprehensive as an actual medical doctor's.

(3) there ARE other medical doctors in the expedition
              Well, yeah... to have brought only one is extremely shortsighted and totally ignorant. The thing with Beckett is his gene therapy research and now his Wraith research. I'd imagine that the other doctors they brought with them have other specialties that are just as important and in totally different fields... so none of them are really expendable. And then there's the fact that Beckett has the gene. Not necessarily a 'get out of getting killed free' card, but that does make him more versatile than your average doc.

So, I'm not worried about Beckett going away anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
                Beckett's gene therapy research and Wraith research aren't important. It appears that ONLY Rodney was able to use the gene therapy--it didn't take for Zalenka; Ford hadn't been given it--and all those other doctors who died didn't have it either. Bates doesn't have it. Neither does Weir. As for the Wraith research, we don't see it--it's only mentioned once in a while, nor do we know if he's the only medical researcher working on it. And Beckett's use of the natural gene isn't important, either, as it's only trotted out when they need a pilot (again, looks like no one else got that gene therapy since only Markham, Stackhouse, and Beckett were available to fly against the Wraith ships while McKay and Sheppard were off-world). Any cool new stuff requiring the gene to activate it is found by Sheppard or McKay--we never see Beckett activating anything new, or utilizing any Ancient medical devices.

I love the character but feel he's being totally wasted because the focus of the show is on defending the city from the Wraith--and that's done by McKay (with help from Zalenka) and Sheppard, not through any of Beckett's efforts. And that's why ONLY McKay, Zalenka, and Sheppard (and Weir to some extent) are non-expendable.
                For a first season non-starring character, I thought that Carson was in quite a few episodes. I agree that he was under used storywise, but I have a sneaking suspision that will change next season. With the weekly "line-up" changing, there will probably be more of a focus on his character and the relationships he has with the others around him.

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
                ---------------------------------------------
                ---------------------------------------------
                Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Since SciFi skipped The Eye in the repeats in the US, here are some caps from the episode.

My kind of guy:
                  "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                  Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                  (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
                    I doubt it. Ford was a "starring" character, was little used in most of the episodes, and has been switched to "recurring" status as of this coming season. Also in Season Two there will be several more named, recurring characters as well as an additional starring character (Ford's replacement on the team), so screen time will be even more limited than it was in Season One.

Overall, the spoilers for Season Two sound quite exciting for most of the characters. I expect we'll see Beckett actually "doing" something in a couple of episodes, but otherwise he'll remain in the background providing general support and minor comic relief.
                    Frankly, I think Ford's problem was that he didn't have a relationship with McKay. I think that's why Teyla was so underused, too. Think about it. It's McKay and Sheppard. McKay and Weir. McKay and Zelenka. And, of course there's McKay and Beckett. Really, the only non McKay relationship is Sheppard and Weir.

Sadly, the only thing Ford had going for him in Season 1 was that he was an explosives expert. But Beckett has more going for him. He's the chief medical doctor, which means he gets scenes whenever someone his hurt. He's the primary person when it comes to the Ancient gene therapy. He's the primary researcher into the Wraith biology, the big bad of the show. And he has the Ancient gene, which means he does get called on in emergencies for piloting or chair duties.

So I don't think Beckett will be have less time on screen in Season 2 than in Season 1.

My kind of guy:
                    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog

Comment

I can't believe the US is skipping the eye for repeats...I would much rather have the Eye then Sanctuary...anyway....nice piccies and a bump to page 1
                      sigpic

Comment

A edit from one of the Season 2 cast photos. Sorry I don't have any editting tools except Paint, so pardon the bad deleting of spoiler stuff.

My kind of guy:

Comment

That's pretty go for editting with just paint, watcher.

Comment

YUM! Thank you, watcher!

I'd been meaning to ask for that but didn't want to seem greedy.

Comment

*thunk* yum oh yum, those are so frakkin' wonderful
                              sigpic

Comment

From Rising

My kind of guy:

Comment

Working...
                                X