Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ronon Dex/Jennifer Keller Appreciation/Ship/Discussion (Doctor & Wild Man)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
    Blen what show was your art from?
    LOL Somebody asked that on the Flyboy thread as well.

That is the first episode of Inspector George Gently.

It's an amazing, brilliant show, and one I've got into in a BIG way recently and well worth watching. It's available on Amazon, Netflix or You Tube. Currently 19 episodes, each an hour & a half long. S7 should be just about to start in the UK.

This bit with Richard Armitage is particularly good - http://blencathra.tumblr.com/post/11...d-armitage-and

A trailer

I am totally fascinated by it, particularly by the relationship between the two main characters.

Basically, it's set in the 1960s. Detective Chief Inspector George Gently is a childless widower. He is honourable, honest and dedicated to finding justice for victims of crime. He takes under his wing his sergeant, John Bacchus, who is impulsive, bigoted and damaged by his bad relationship with his father. Slowly over the series, as well as solving various crimes, George is turning John into a first rate copper and into a decent human being.

But what has really got to me and lifted the show into the stratosphere as far as I'm concerned, is the ongoing storyline that George needs a son and John needs a father . They are so close to acknowledging that fact and I can barely wait for S7 to see if they do. It's a father/son love story that's nearly had me in tears several times, as well as shouting at the TV.
    Last edited by Blencathra; 31 March 2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Will have to give it a look see
      sigpic

Comment

Do! Do!! I need somebody to jump up & down & cry with about it.

It's a wonderful, wonderful show. There was one episode in particular where I couldn't sleep at night for thinking about it. But hush. Spoilers!

Comment

no spoilers I will put it on my netflix list
          sigpic

Comment

When you get round to watching it, give me a shout & I'll watch it again with you.

Anyone else interested? The one with Richard Armitage is worth the price of admission just on it's own.

Comment

That was quite lovely art everyone! So much fun to scroll through it.

Blen... I've watched the first two episodes of Inspector George Gently. I've enjoyed them, but I'd probably enjoy it just a tad more if I understood some of their references, especially the political ones. They are a fun combo though. Looking forward to getting back to watching episodes. I might be able to find a time for a watch with others... I could hold-off watching any more episodes if you find others interested.

Spoiler...
              Spoiler:
              I've really enjoyed watching George teach John a few lessons here and there about being a good law enforcement officer.

I've been watching on youtube because Netflix & Amazon Prime don't have it for streaming here. Only bummer so far is that there are subtitles but after a while I got used to them and can ignore the little white words at the bottom of the screen quite well now. Haven't checked yet to see how many seasons are on youtube yet. I can't get to the youtube link you provided because of my country thing.
              sigpic

Comment

Finally going home this weekend! Finally going home this weekend!!!
                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

YAY! That is great news Ever!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Ever's happy!
                    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
                      Finally going home this weekend! Finally going home this weekend!!!
                      That is good news! You seem to have been away for absolutely ages.

Originally posted by bailey1ak View Post

Blen... I've watched the first two episodes of Inspector George Gently. I've enjoyed them, but I'd probably enjoy it just a tad more if I understood some of their references, especially the political ones. They are a fun combo though. Looking forward to getting back to watching episodes. I might be able to find a time for a watch with others... I could hold-off watching any more episodes if you find others interested.

Spoiler...
                      Spoiler:
                      I've really enjoyed watching George teach John a few lessons here and there about being a good law enforcement officer.

I've been watching on youtube because Netflix & Amazon Prime don't have it for streaming here. Only bummer so far is that there are subtitles but after a while I got used to them and can ignore the little white words at the bottom of the screen quite well now. Haven't checked yet to see how many seasons are on youtube yet. I can't get to the youtube link you provided because of my country thing.
                      I do hope you manage to see all of it Bailey. It's that stupid same old problem isn't it?

I am glad you are enjoying it. I presume you are talking about the political references in The Burning Man. I didn't get some of them either. But not to worry, they aren't important for the rest of the show.

As for Gently and Bacchus

Spoiler:

George is having a hell of a time keeping John on the straight and narrow. I like that George knows that John can't resist temptation and so is blocking his attempts to move to London to join the Met. He knows John will become corrupt in no time. But it's interesting that he can see a spark in John that he knows he can nurture.

I don't know what to do about watching/re-watching. What does DG want to do?

Comment

I could do Tues I have stuff to do today and family coming up Fri so until Tues thinks are non stop
                        sigpic

Comment

*waves at Ever*

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                          I do hope you manage to see all of it Bailey. It's that stupid same old problem isn't it?

I am glad you are enjoying it. I presume you are talking about the political references in The Burning Man. I didn't get some of them either. But not to worry, they aren't important for the rest of the show.

As for Gently and Bacchus

Spoiler:

George is having a hell of a time keeping John on the straight and narrow. I like that George knows that John can't resist temptation and so is blocking his attempts to move to London to join the Met. He knows John will become corrupt in no time. But it's interesting that he can see a spark in John that he knows he can nurture.

I don't know what to do about watching/re-watching. What does DG want to do?
                          Yes it was The Burning Man episode... but I think I got the gist of the story...
                          Spoiler:
                          I loved that John kept referring to fishing as drowning worms.

I can definitely try to rewatch/watch whenever it is most convenient for everyone else.
                          sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Shall we try for Tuesday then, when DG has some free time?

Some Gently factoids for your entertainment.

Martin Shaw (Gently) was badly beaten during a mugging when he was a young man. He had facial reconstruction and his right cheekbone is made of plastic.

Martin has kicked down more doors than any other actor on British TV. He does all the choreography for door kicking on Gently as he has the most experience.

In Gently series 5 & 6, Gently drives a blue Rover car. It doesn't work properly. Lee Ingleby (Bacchus) has to change the gears while Martin steers.

Lee Ingleby grew up in the same town and went to the same High School as John Simm (The Master in Doctor Who).

Lee also played John's Dad in Life on Mars, despite being younger (timey wimeyness). John based his look for Sam Tyler - leather jacket, shirt etc - on Bodie from The Professionals, which also starred Martin Shaw.

John still calls Lee "Dad" when they talk on twitter, and Lee calls John "son".

and some adorable cuteness

Last edited by Blencathra; 01 April 2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

What is the theme going on?

<<<

Oh, April Fools?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X