Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
    Leksa, I honestly believe writers do read fan fic. Of course there are laws, we are copy righted to the hilt in our society and this leads into the whole discussion on corporations milking the public indefinitely. I think a careful writer will not "directly copy". Also, there are so many science fiction narrative conventions which make it very difficult to truly call anything one's own anyway. Ultimately, writers get ideas where they get them. How else do writers write toward the fan base? --They look to see what we're writing.
    I really seriously do not believe writers who say that they do not read fan fic.

WK
    You wish to say if I send them a draft with signed off co. rights they would use it?
    Why I didn't know about this earlier? I would do so.

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post

Admittedly, it's an acquired taste - just ask masterling.
      What? Like for broccoli?

But I find myself really liking the stories - they are more character-driven, and at the same time they often have interesting plot twists and turns. First ep I really liked, second ep was the weakest but introduced an important element to the series - and from there each week has just gotten better and better, in my humble opinion. There is a slow, but progressive, revealing and development of the characters...you feel as if the story is moving forward, and not always boomeranging like SGA.

To give you all a taste of what Chris is like in this - here's a bit from one of the Webisodes (this does not appear in the tv show, watch the first 8 minutes, until John/Jack the Ripper disappears. If you watch a little more, you will see a nice scene with Chris as bigfoot, too...lovely hands...) - his range is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQpa8lCv55s

When he buries his face in Amanda's hair (then kisses his daughter's head), all I can do is think of Todd doing something similar...*thunk*

I dunno - I just find the man extremely sexy...with or without hair!
      I agree, superb acting. Looved british accent. And I loved the clip too. I will start follow the show this friday.
      Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MyFavoriteWraith View Post
        Actually I'm going to have to disagree with you there, despite being of Dutch and German descent. I like a giant, hairy Viking. I loved Chris in 'Blade III Trinity' when he spoke with a Norwegian accent. And that was before I ever knew he was Todd! I thought Halling was cute, but his character is too much of a pacifist hippie for me.

Sorry, I'm going to have to bow out of all this serious debate. I just can't keep a coherent thought lately with this cold. BUT I did want to share this with you all as I find it extremely amusing. I must subconsciously be obsessing over that EATG pic of Todd and Shep.
        I had a dream last night that Todd and Shep were *both* wearing those hideous grey jumpsuits and working in a car wash on Earth. Todd had his hair back in a black do-rag and the jumpsuit looked ridiculously short on him in the legs and the sleeves. Sheppard meanwhile was about swallowed by his. Apparently Todd and Shep were doing some kind of undercover work??? Though I'm not sure for what. Drugs? Wraith on earth? All I know is they needed Todd for his keen sense of smell. They didn't bother to disguise him though but nobody looked twice at him. But I remember Todd being very frustrated and he snapped at Sheppard when they were coming up empty (of whatever they were looking for) and he said, "Dammit, I can't smell anything here but all these humans!!" THAT made everyone stop and look at him.

That's all I remember but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it.

mfw

That's the car-wash I would like to see!

Comment

Ooooh, look at this! Medium-resolution Penny!Todd fest!! You have 2 days before the entry becomes friends-only, so you'd better hurry.
          My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
          Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
            Ooooh, look at this! Medium-resolution Penny!Todd fest!! You have 2 days before the entry becomes friends-only, so you'd better hurry.

OOOO! Niiiiice!

I'm gonna repost this here...

Spoiler:
            Once upon a time there were kids on the playground. One group were popular boys - good at sports, flashy cars, fun at parties. These boys listened to 'N Sync.

The other group of boys were outcasts. Quiet, all dressed in black, hair hanging in their eyes. These boys listened to Marilyn Manson.

One day the Popular Boys decided to beat up the Quiet Boys. They brought baseball bats and metal pipes onto the playground, and called out the Quiet Boys, but the Quiet Boys were armed only with studded leather wristbands and fingerless gloves.

Well, the Principal saw what was about to happen, and he quickly stepped in between the two groups of boys...scolding the Popular Boys right in front of the Quiet Boys.

Well, the Popular Boys eventually grew up, went to college and got jobs writing television shows. The Quiet Boys went off to become rich rock stars with lots of cars and girls and money.

So, one day the Popular Boys decided to get back at the Quiet Boys, but now - instead of baseball bats and metal pipes - they were armed with pens and pencils. With their pens and pencils they started writing stories - stories about the playground, all those years ago. In their stories, they gave themselves cool, strong names, like Ronon and Sheppard and Ford...but they gave the Quiet Boys wimpy, non-threatening names, like Steve and Bob and Todd.

With this power in their hand, they could now write stories and do to those Quiet Boys on the tv screen what they never were able to do to them on the playground...they could beat them up and make them look silly.

In the end, however...the Quiet Boys still get the girls, and the Popular Boys still just look like bullies.

The End.

das
            sigpic

Comment

OOOO! Niiiiice!

Spoiler:
              Once upon a time there were kids on the playground. One group were popular boys - good at sports, flashy cars, fun at parties. These boys listened to 'N Sync.

The other group of boys were outcasts. Quiet, all dressed in black, hair hanging in their eyes. These boys listened to Marilyn Manson.

One day the Popular Boys decided to beat up the Quiet Boys. They brought baseball bats and metal pipes onto the playground, and called out the Quiet Boys, but the Quiet Boys were armed only with studded leather wristbands and fingerless gloves.

Well, the Principal saw what was about to happen, and he quickly stepped in between the two groups of boys...scolding the Popular Boys right in front of the Quiet Boys.

Well, the Popular Boys eventually grew up, went to college and got jobs writing television shows. The Quiet Boys went off to become rich rock stars with lots of cars and girls and money.

So, one day the Popular Boys decided to get back at the Quiet Boys, but now - instead of baseball bats and metal pipes - they were armed with pens and pencils. With their pens and pencils they started writing stories - stories about the playground, all those years ago. In their stories, they gave themselves cool, strong names, like Ronon and Sheppard and Ford...but they gave the Quiet Boys wimpy, non-threatening names, like Steve and Bob and Todd.

With this power in their hand, they could now write stories and do to those Quiet Boys on the tv screen what they never were able to do to them on the playground...they could beat them up and make them look silly.

In the end, however...the Quiet Boys still get the girls, and the Popular Boys still just look like bullies.

The End.

das
              awesome.....where did youorginally post it???
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by masterling View Post
                awesome.....where did youorginally post it???
                The thread about - something to do with not getting it - new thread. I just removed it because someone took it as a personal attack against the writers...I think she took it a bit too literally. So, I figure why waste good stuff on those who don't appreciate it, so I put it here instead.

das
                sigpic

Comment

The thread about - something to do with not getting it - new thread. I just removed it because someone took it as a personal attack against the writers...I think she took it a bit too literally. So, I figure why waste good stuff on those who don't appreciate it, so I put it here instead.

das
                  yeah, sometimes ppl just need to take a deep breath and chill. Or as i do and think of some Green......(ya know which green im talkn bout )
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by masterling View Post
                    yeah, sometimes ppl just need to take a deep breath and chill. Or as i do and think of some Green......(ya know which green im talkn bout)

Pickles???!

das
                    sigpic

Comment

OOOO! Niiiiice!

Spoiler:

The End.

das
                      *sniff* Good god, das, that made me feel more patriotic than the national anthem. I salute you, all my fellow worshippers and the WDC flag!

mfw

Comment

OOOO! Niiiiice!

Spoiler:

The End.

das
                        I'm an ex nursery nurse so that story seems very true to life. Hum the Quiet Ones seem Wraith and definately not wimpy. Thanks for posting this made me smile. MCH
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Pickles???!

das

Yummy pickles!

Comment

@ WK - Well, not going to get into the issues - but, for me, the bottom line is that the Wraith have a tried and true method of survival - one that works very well for them. With the exception of the current crisis, there is no need for them to change - thus they are not evil for refusing to find a different way. But then again, it all comes down to how we view the Wraith, and I just can't compare them to humans because they are something different. Are they brutal at times? Yes. Do I love everything they do? No. But, the basic Wraith, feeding in order to live, I have no problem with and will never see it as evil.
                            Sorry, I don't want to imply that the wraith are evil. I certainly do not think this. I do not believe that any people or species of people can possibly be inherently evil--creation is a good thing--ALWAYS!

I do believe however that cultures can have dominant evil tendencies. Tendencies that are very destructive and cause wide spread devastation...um...this sounds like our own!!

But I do see them as equal to humans in worth, not greater than and not less than, but equal. The wraith think humans are less, and the Lantians think the wraith are less. As a result they both refuse to change and continue to visit horrors on each other. In other words, the actions not the people(s) are evil.

WK
                            "Ask NOT what you can do for your country...ask WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?" O. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
                              I'm an ex nursery nurse so that story seems very true to life. Hum the Quiet Ones seem Wraith and definately not wimpy. Thanks for posting this made me smile. MCH
                              *off topic*
                              You mean you worked with kids and noticed changes in their personality overtime? What did you notice? I am very interested in behavior and psychology.
                              *on topic*

Das, loved your "story"!
                              sigpic

Comment

I finally figure out *what* really annoyed me about that scene in Infection and why it bothers me so much that it's getting glowing reviews.

Spoiler:
                                It's not the logic faults in Keller's reasoning that bothers me. Because it didn't support what the idea that were going for, and in fact, undermined it.

It's the idea that we're suppose to come away from that scene thinking Keller feels compassion for Todd's plight and for the Wraith in general. That's why she brought up that Todd didn't understand compassion. That idea would have been fine by itself. Except that there's continuity to consider. So there's something nasty that comes with that idea. And it's THAT which bothers me. Because it's that mentality towards Michael all over again.

First off, I don't think Keller was feeling compassionate. She was feeling guilty and feeling inadequate. She even had a scene about it with McKay earlier.

BUT. That's not the insidiousness of the scene that's trying to sneak by us.

Refreshing my point; I think the intentions that the writers had for the scene was to show that Keller feels compassion for Todd, his crew, and likely the Wraith in general. So we're also suppose to be thinking that McKay also feels compassion for Todd and his crew in a later scene.

Here's what's bothering me: The only reason they were feeling compassionate is because Todd and his crew can't feed on humans anymore. McKay said it himself, the Wraiths aren't Wraith anymore because they can't feed. Not simply because Todd and his crew were suffering.

Remember in First Contact, McKay was the one who was perfectly ok in turning on the Attero device. And in The Kindred, Keller was the one who didn't want to trade the Hoff's research to Todd.

Keller and McKay's attitudes towards Wraith haven't changed AT ALL. This is the same mentality that justified their treatment of Michael. It's why Beckett was concerned about Michael's welfare when he was a human, but not as a Wraith. Until Wraiths were "acceptable," Keller and McKay were not feeling compassionate towards them. So I don't think we should be praising Keller (or McKay) for feeling compassion towards Todd. Because that compassion is conditional and doesn't accepts Wraiths for what they are. More importantly, it doesn't accept Todd for who he is and what he is. In Infection, Keller's compassion is conditional, and given the circumstances, it's a mask for condescending righteousness. Her compassion is meant more to gratify herself than any real consideration towards Todd.

You know what would be unfortunate? If Wraiths decided to eat human flesh.

I really feel two things here. Either the writers are trying to pull one over us and truly have no problems with the experimentation that lead to Michael. And if we think this is ok, then it feels like validating the righteous justification that created Michael. Or that they still have no clue what was so wrong with the reasons that fueled the Michael experimentation.

Originally posted by MyFavoriteWraith View Post
                                Actually I'm going to have to disagree with you there, despite being of Dutch and German descent. I like a giant, hairy Viking. I loved Chris in 'Blade III Trinity' when he spoke with a Norwegian accent. And that was before I ever knew he was Todd! I thought Halling was cute, but his character is too much of a pacifist hippie for me.
                                Chris was in Blade III? Can you tell me where? I didn't notice him.
                                Last edited by StarOcean; 09 December 2008, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X