Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Okay - first - I'm not getting into any moral debates here outside of the one that I will always stand by - that genocide of Wraith - NO MATTER how they feed - is wrong. That's it, and that's all I will say about moral issues.

Now - about Infection. Maybe I'm the only one who loved this episode, but I just want to make a few comments, some that I have already made - some that have been clarified in my mind...

Spoiler:
    This was a great episode for many reasons (outside of the genocidal talk). First, we had excellent interaction between Sheppard, and Todd. Yes - Sheppard decided to go with a plan that would kill the crew...and his neck was only saved in this regard when he could tell Todd that the crew died - not due to the Lanteans - but due to hull failure. But you have to look at both sides here - the Lanteans could not risk dealing with Wraith zombies and a disintegrating ship at the same time. Todd, of course, wanted just to save his crew from the illness that he had inadvertently inflicted upon them - he certainly must have felt a certain amount of guilt in this matter, and it was eating him alive. He so wanted to save them...save them from what he was partly responsible for doing to them, so much so that he was willing to risk a jump to hyperspace, and an oft times fatal treatment with an iratus bug. I cannot fault Sheppard for deciding to shut down the hibernation revival system, nor can I fault Todd for wanting to take extraordinary risks in order to save his crew.

They were both thinking of survival - not just their own - but for those under them. They both were doing what had to be done - only...we know that Todd's plan would not have worked, the ship failed to soon.

As far as the compassion discussion - this was one of my favorite parts. First, in First Contact we saw Todd openly display a sort of compassion, or empathy, for Wraith and their future, then quickly he shook off this moment's weakness. But Keller saw it, and knew. So, when the subject comes up in Infection, she makes him acknowledge that Wraith only see compassion as weakness. In the past, Todd has never seen Sheppard as 'compassionate', he's only seen Sheppard as one commander making deals with another...and we ALL know that Sheppard made deals that would - first and foremost - benefit HUMANS. The well-being of Wraith was never a consideration. Todd knows this - he has seen Teyla use her power to kill Wraith, even when she was supposedly trying to help them, and same with Sheppard...not wanting to find the iratus planet because it would mean restoring dying Wraith to health, giving them back their life.

So, this is the man Todd sees. Yes, Sheppard fed him Wallace, but Todd did not see that as an act of compassion, he saw it as the only way humans could get him to finish his work. However, I do think he played on their compassion - their weakness - to get that meal a bit sooner than he actually needed it, but he played on Rodney's compassion, not Sheppard's. I say this because he saw Rodney's compassion when he was pleading for his sister - so Todd knew he could exploit this 'weakness' in Rodney.

However, Keller points out to Todd that Sheppard IS compassionate, he is trying to save lives despite using different 'tools'. Those tools are not always weapons - sometimes those tools are words, or even just decisions made. It at least gives Todd something to think about...that maybe some decisions are not based solely on deals made. Now, jumping forward a bit...

"You owe me this, Sheppard." Pivotal moment here in their relationship. Todd looks at his palm before saying that - yes, Sheppard owes him because Todd has forfeited everything - even his ability to feed - at the urgings of the Lanteans.

Sheppard, on the other hand, clearly sees Todd for what he really is - Todd has revealed his true nature - what he will do if pushed too far...and I think Todd realizes it, too. Wraith WILL kill humans, no matter how much they like or respect them. Todd was ready, at that moment, to kill the best human friend he has ever had. It was a wake-up call for Todd, I believe...and is why he was 'pouting' in the cell. He had lost control, he showed himself for what he really was - no more pretending around Sheppard - Sheppard knows that he will kill, if given the chance...it is his nature, it is his instinct. It was all a beautiful moment - it was Todd, being Wraith...not being Sheppard's pet.

But now they need Todd's help, and Sheppard must ask him to save THEIR lives, not his. Todd knows he's dying, has little hope left...a quick death would be preferrable. The way Chris delivered that 'quick death' line was perfect. Instead of softly mumbling the words under his breath, as if feeling sorry for himself, he shows no weakness and shouts it out. He's not looking for Sheppard's pity, his 'compassion'. And yet, in a way he gets it anyway: help Sheppard, and Sheppard will take him to his bug planet.

In the end, Sheppard lets Todd go (it can be said that compassion was also shown Todd by rescuing him from the sinking ship along with the others, too). Todd says that he 'appreciates' it, and Sheppard gets a little squirmy, and says that he gave his word. But I think Todd sees it differently - I think Todd has come to understand Sheppard's compassion. He had shown Sheppard his worst side, that - if he could have drained the life from him - he would have, without hesitation. And yet, Sheppard gives him a chance to survive, perhaps even a chance to regain the ability to feed. He made a decision to set Todd free - that decision being a 'tool' at his disposal - potentially saving his life, even though he knows Todd is a continuing threat to him, and all humans in the galaxy. Still...despite everything that has happened - he's willing to give Todd the benefit of the doubt. That is compassionate on Sheppard's part - not a deal made, or a word of honor given - and I think Todd finally understands it.

It was all very well done - the second part especially - and IF they keep Todd and Sheppard's relationship on this level (instead of the constant threats of death), then I will be very happy.

I swear, the more I watch the last half of this episode, the more teary-eyed I get, especially during the interactions between Todd and Sheppard. I think they did get it right, and I hope this trend continues through the end of the series, and into the movie.

EDIT: One last thing:

Spoiler:
    I believe when Todd zoned out while bringing down the ship that - perhaps - he was linked telepathically with the ship - he was one with the ship at that moment. I have asked Mallozzi about this, especially in light of the questions I had about The Seed that he said he couldn't answer then - but to stay tuned.

das
    Thank you, Das, for this geat analysis of Infection. I liked this episode very much as well; I think it's somewhere behind CG in how often I can watch it. You've hit all the points, beautifully and explained them, which I felt instinctively but didn't quite know how to put it in words. And yes, I also caught the bit about taking Todd with them to Atlantis. Also, Shep's first question of his mouth when he came to see Wolsley was--"how is he doing?"

I think the idea of compassion and Shep's tools are spot on. And yes, Shep likes Todd; as much as Todd likes Shep, always colored by their own feelings as human and Wraith.

As an aside: When Keller called Shep to tell him that Todd wanted to speak with him--I wonder if Todd was there and finally heard the name they were calling him?

BTW, a thought just crossed my mind--in German, the word for death is Todt. Do you suppose when they named Todd (the writers, I mean) they thought of the similiarity? Because if they have, then Todd is not quite such a 'cute' name.
    HONOR. A story. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...22#post8549622

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leksa View Post
      You know, I just start to wonder about what that poor actor thinks when he's faced with the comments that he's so hot when he's under that costume.

I did saw his real-life photos and honestly, unless he has very interesting personality I would not even go out for a coffee with him.
      The poor actor , the nature of acting being what it is and the fact that reward consists of the public reacting to them and liking/adoring them, I'd think LOVES it.

I never did endeavour to see his photo outside the Wraith appearance, but he sure makes a great Wraith! When he played the Athosian leader, he waasn't too bad, but ordinary. It is again, the art of an actor, to appear what he is not in a variety of roles and be like nothing he is in real life. That is the sign of a great actor.
      HONOR. A story. http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...22#post8549622

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leksa View Post
        Ahh, now I understand why you are pro-evolution. Yeah, you're right if the Wraith did not had a choice in that then they cannot be evil.
        Also I would not believe that they had choice, simply because I believe it's so stupid to limit themselves on only one food source!
        It also works if the Ancients created the wraith, because I don't mind blaming the Ancients.

And yes, being able to feed on one single thing is, like Todd says, a "significant vulnerability". I can't see why a species would willingly go down this road, especially a species as survival-oriented as the wraith.
        My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
        Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler64 View Post
          The poor actor , the nature of acting being what it is and the fact that reward consists of the public reacting to them and liking/adoring them, I'd think LOVES it.

I never did endeavour to see his photo outside the Wraith appearance, but he sure makes a great Wraith! When he played the Athosian leader, he waasn't too bad, but ordinary. It is again, the art of an actor, to appear what he is not in a variety of roles and be like nothing he is in real life. That is the sign of a great actor.
          Ah, I meant more on the lines of pure male ego. Perhaps that was induced with the performance of one of the British comedians who stated that despite him being on the TV, girls should not consider him unattainable. Quite opposite!
          In my experience, the moment woman starts to claims that some handsome man is right on spot, some other man from her vicinity will take that up as a challenge and try to prove that he's better! That happened to me so often that now I know to do it on purpose just to have some fun!

And I believe you're right form job point of view. That's in the way compliment to his acting skills.
          I do admire him as an actor because he managed to portrait a villain in such way that people started to like the character so much. I, myself, find Todd the most interesting and best portrayed character in the whole SGA.

Comment

Two quick comments before I gotta bail...

Infection and Lost Tribe spoilers...
            Spoiler:
            Weren't we suppose to get an infirmary scene with a mystery patient?

Secondly, I think the writers forgot that Todd doesn't know his name. Chalk it up to the same reason that Todd shouldn't have known to call Woolsey "Mister Woolsey." Todd does know Richard is Woolsey's first name from The Seer.

Oh wait... more likely, they didn't want to write the scene.

Comment

Thank you, Das, for this geat analysis of Infection. I liked this episode very much as well; I think it's somewhere behind CG in how often I can watch it. You've hit all the points, beautifully and explained them, which I felt instinctively but didn't quite know how to put it in words. And yes, I also caught the bit about taking Todd with them to Atlantis. Also, Shep's first question of his mouth when he came to see Wolsley was--"how is he doing?"

I think the idea of compassion and Shep's tools are spot on. And yes, Shep likes Todd; as much as Todd likes Shep, always colored by their own feelings as human and Wraith.

As an aside: When Keller called Shep to tell him that Todd wanted to speak with him--I wonder if Todd was there and finally heard the name they were calling him?

BTW, a thought just crossed my mind--in German, the word for death is Todt. Do you suppose when they named Todd (the writers, I mean) they thought of the similiarity? Because if they have, then Todd is not quite such a 'cute' name.
              Todd (or rather Todde) is also an old Scots word for a fox or a cunning and wily person, most appropriate, I would say.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
                Spoiler:
                Tyler McClendon is listed as being in Enemy At The Gate, so Kenny may still be alive.
                A bit ago (like an hour already, perhaps?) I went to Joe's blog and did a search on Tyler McClendon.

In his Q&A he said he had 4 different roles/Wraith to play.

These eps were on his list: BT, The Queen, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, Outsiders, Enemy At The Gate.

Now, from what we know:

Broken Ties: Rhys = 1
                The Queen: Kenny = 2
                First Contact: Kenny = 2
                The Lost Tribe: Kenny = 2
                Outsiders: Tubbs = 3
                Enemy At The Gate: ??? = 4?

So, while you can indeed point fingers to Kenny, perhaps it's not him in EatG? Who knows?

The Wraith have known about Earth since Rising. Everybody probably wants to plan on getting there, if that is indeed the episode. Kenny might have been compromised somewhere, and gave the information just like Todd did on Midway.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                  A bit ago (like an hour already, perhaps?) I went to Joe's blog and did a search on Tyler McClendon.

In his Q&A he said he had 4 different roles/Wraith to play.

These eps were on his list: BT, The Queen, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, Outsiders, Enemy At The Gate.

Now, from what we know:

Broken Ties: Rhys = 1
                  The Queen: Kenny = 2
                  First Contact: Kenny = 2
                  The Lost Tribe: Kenny = 2
                  Outsiders: Tubbs = 3
                  Enemy At The Gate: ??? = 4?
                  If you read my next post after that, that occured to me.
                  Last edited by naamiaiset; 08 December 2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                    The Wraith have known about Earth since Rising. Everybody probably wants to plan on getting there, if that is indeed the episode. Kenny might have been compromised somewhere, and gave the information just like Todd did on Midway.
                    I really believe
                    Spoiler:
                    Kenny (and Billy, by the way) is supposed to be dead in the hive in "Infection". They may still decide he wasn't there, but considering Kenny and Billy came from Todd's new main hive in "First Contact", it sounds likely. *mourns*

Tyler wouldn't have known it as Kenny's death, if he's indeed dead, happened off-screen. He probably only knows what he plays.
                    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starry Waters View Post
                      This is really dark speculation on the final scene of Infection, so if you are highly emotional, etc. about Todd, you may not want to read this. I'm haunted by it, but I definitely would have preferred that the idea had never occurred to me so I'm sympathetic. Be forewarned.

Spoiler:
                      This episode seem to revolve around the two concepts of compassion and duplicity. We see a dark Shep in this EPA; for example, he doesn't tell Todd that he's killed his crew, etc. Suddenly at the end we see Woolsey and Shep debating letting Todd go. It's a complete turn around in behavior for John as he appears in this ep. Woolsey could also lose his job over it . Next thing we know Todd is at the gate and John is echoing words we've heard before of "A deal is a deal." Then Todd walks through the gate. But we don't see him come out. So did we see compassion (kind of) or duplicity in that last scene? Just where is Todd sent?
                      Compassion and duplicity that sums up the whole episode but in the end

Spoiler:
                      They let him go. As Todd said to Shepherd you owe me, and he does. For mainly his life.... but he gave Todd his life back.... they remind me of too big cats who sometimes circle around one snarling at one another and at other time they fight side by side. Both are duplicity with one and other..
                      As to where Todd went to the planet where the Queen Iratus bug reside in hope she can cure him. It only needed him to put in the coordinates for the bugs planet himself then he would go
                      Spoiler for Enemy At The Gate
                      Spoiler:
                      They must know where Todd, Joe M's blog pictures of Todd talking to a MALP, so they find away to contact him...hum wonder why???? Interesting

Wonder what Todd's plans are for once he is better? Will he be able to return to the hives he lead??

MCH
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

This is really dark speculation on the final scene of Infection, so if you are highly emotional, etc. about Todd, you may not want to read this. I'm haunted by it, but I definitely would have preferred that the idea had never occurred to me so I'm sympathetic. Be forewarned.
                        Spoiler:
                        This episode seem to revolve around the two concepts of compassion and duplicity. We see a dark Shep in this ep; for example, he doesn't tell Todd that he's killed his crew, etc. Suddenly at the end we see Woolsey and Shep debating letting Todd go. It's a complete turn around in behavior for John as he appears in this ep. Woolsey could also lose his job over it . Next thing we know Todd is at the gate and John is echoing words we've heard before of "A deal is a deal." Then Todd walks through the gate. But we don't see him come out. So did we see compassion (kind of) or duplicity in that last scene? Just where is Todd sent?
                        I don't think it was duplicity, for 2 reasons:
                        Spoiler:
                        First, we know we'll see Todd again in future episodes, and second, because the music at the end was the same than the end of "Common Ground". Because of "Common Ground", this music is associated with a positive relationship between Todd and Sheppard, so I suppose he was sincere. We "wrongly" had the Genii theme somewhere at the beginning of the episode, though, so the music may not be associated with what it is supposed to. Bu I don't think so.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
                          Compassion and duplicity that sums up the whole episode but in the end

Spoiler:
                          They let him go. As Todd said to Shepherd you owe me, and he does. For mainly his life.... but he gave Todd his life back.... they remind me of too big cats who sometimes circle around one snarling at one another and at other time they fight side by side. Both are duplicity with one and other..
                          As to where Todd went to the planet where the Queen Iratus bug reside in hope she can cure him. It only needed him to put in the coordinates for the bugs planet himself then he would go
                          Spoiler for Enemy At The Gate
                          Spoiler:
                          They must know where Todd, Joe M's blog pictures of Todd talking to a MALP, so they find away to contact him...hum wonder why???? Interesting

Wonder what Todd's plans are for once he is better? Will he be able to return to the hives he lead??

MCH
                          After a lot of questioning and seeking opinions, I've finally reached some peace on that final scene in Infection, thank goodness. I've decided like all of you that it's more compassion that duplicity. (Now if it turns out to be duplicity, I'm really going to be disgusted! LOL)

What's MALP though?
                          sigpic
                          Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

No - the German word for death is "Tod" (with a long spoken 'o'), and it has nothing to do with Todd. "Todd" is just a name - nothing else.

No retreat in the face of battle! No sympathy for the fallen! No mercy for our enemies!

Comment

What's MALP though?
                              Mobile Analytic Laboratory Probe. Todd is talking to one in this picture.

Comment

What's MALP though?
                                It's the motorised robot the Atlanteans use when they need to check a planet. They used it first before going to Atlantis, then when checking where the wraith had taken Col. Summers, Teyla and the others in "Rising II", again in "Hide and Seek" when they tried to lure the dark entity through the gate, and again in "The Seer" when they verified Todd's claim that a planet had been attacked by the replicators... You see the think I'm talking about?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X