Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
    I do not think it is unfair to give two years notice for a show's cancellation, it is responsible story telling. The problem is, a studio would never do this, they do not want to take the risk. Ultimately, it really is a money making industry, and for good or bad it is what it is.
    We know MGM and SciFi announced the cancellation just one or two days after Joe Mallozzi posted on his blog that the script for the last episode on the season was finished being written! It really sounded like a slap in the face of the fans, and the writers too. We're already lucky they never intended to end the 100th episode on a cliffhanger in the first place.

Although the decision might have been in negotiation between MGM and SciFi, I think they could have announced it much sooner to the writers, so that they could have wrapped arcs nicely while still leaving an open ending for the movies. But obviously MGM doesn't care, as they are so certain the fans will tune in for SGU no matter what.

Still, some things were in the writers' hands. Even with the perspective of a 6th season, they could have given season 5 some story arcs to tie the episodes together. They shouldn't have separated the team members so often. Cancellation or not, they could have given more wraith an interesting personality, instead of limiting it to "The Queen" and then back to wraith = cannon fodder.

An earlier announcement might have given the writers a kick that would have forced them to pay more attention to continuity and all, but on another hand... it might have not changed anything for us in the end.
    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
      On a lighter note, Todd's worshipper, you asked me where I got the second pic of him with straight hair from: It's from the MGM stills (5th from the last). Unfortunately, it means you can only find it in very low-res.
      That picture reminds me of my mum sending my brother off to school, with face and ears washed hair slicked down. Shirt tucked in, and shoes polished.
      A vision of tidyness which was definately not my brother at all. Doesn't suit Todd to have his hair all tidy.

What came back from school - my brother that is - was a scruffy looking person, face and hands needed a wash, hair sticking up, shirt not tucked in trousures and shoes all scuffed. That was more like the brother I knew and my mother would send him upstairs to tidy up.

Todd definately looks better with the mussed up hair...hummmm.

MCH
      sigpic
      Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
        Todd definately looks better with the mussed up hair...hummmm.
        I agree, it's how we love him! How could we fantasise about brushing his hair if they are already all combed? Although imagining him AFTER we take a proper care of his hair feels good too...

And LOL for the story about your brother.
        My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
        Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
          I agree, it's how we love him! How could we fantasise about brushing his hair if they are already all combed? Although imagining him AFTER we take a proper care of his hair feels good too...

And LOL for the story about your brother.

He'd be horrified about me telling story.... but it true. Anyway he not horrors of horrors a SAG fan so he wouldn't come here......

Wonder how many mums have sent their sons off to school all clean and tidy only to winch at the scruffy individual who is their son come back through the door after school.

MCH

MCH
          sigpic

Comment

Hey das!

This is the image I was trying to load on JM's blog. It's close to the one you showed, but he looks a bit more wild here and matches that Japanese print even better.
            Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
              Hey das!

This is the image I was trying to load on JM's blog. It's close to the one you showed, but he looks a bit more wild here and matches that Japanese print even better.
              Wow, he does look like he's doing Kabuki theater there! I never noticed that. I loooove Kabuki. I saw a Kabuki Shakepeare performance in Chicago of "MacBeth" that was absolutely riveting. Todd actually kind of looks like one of the witches there. I'd loved to have seen them do an entire episode Kabuki style. I'd like to see what they'd do with McKay. He'd have to sloooowww waaaaay dooooown. lol

mfw

Comment

to mfw OT about Kabuki:
                Spoiler:
                Did you see the one they did at the Chicago Shakespeare theater last year (or was it the year before? I saw Kabuki Shakespeare once, too! And I had the chance to see Kabuki theater once in Tokyo.
                das posted a link to a great Japanese print on JM's blog today (actually it is on the one dated Oct. 31); it bears an amazing resemblance to this picture of Todd.

Hmmm. Kabuki SGA. Not sure they could pull it off.
                Sparrow hawk

sigpic

Comment

to mfw OT about Kabuki:
                  Spoiler:
                  Did you see the one they did at the Chicago Shakespeare theater last year (or was it the year before? I saw Kabuki Shakespeare once, too! And I had the chance to see Kabuki theater once in Tokyo.
                  das posted a link to a great Japanese print on JM's blog today (actually it is on the one dated Oct. 31); it bears an amazing resemblance to this picture of Todd.

Hmmm. Kabuki SGA. Not sure they could pull it off.
                  LOL - yeah, I have my doubts too.
                  OT - I believe it was two years ago. At Navy Pier. It was F-A-B!

mfw

EDIT: Just snuck over to Joe's blog to get a look at das's pic. O-M-G. Purrrrrrfect! Todd the White Lion. I like it!

Comment

Hey das!

You mean your sig pic?

I had looked for that one in my photobucket - I was sure it was there, but I can't find it. Right now I'm on hubby's laptop (sounds naughty!), because my computer is totally fubr'd and I can't access my photo album from here. I didn't feel like looking for caps, either - I am not a fan of laptop keyboards - my fingers have trouble finding the keys (I don't look - typing in the dark right now). So I used the only one I could find (it might still be in my pb account, I just couldn't find it).

We had a huge weekend already - a 2-day yardsale that netted $420! Woo! Money for the Hellboy II DVD! Can't wait!

das
                    sigpic

Comment

For everyone who wants to see the White Lion...

Spoiler:

Much like our dear Todd, except for the flower doily on his head...

das
                      sigpic

Comment

Laura Dove wrote:
                        Anyway, I suspect that Todd was held captive by the Genii for much more than 10 years. Remember Sheppard's question: "How many is many? Five? Ten?" and Todd's answer: "It no longer matters." IMO, it was made to imply that Todd was there for much more than 5 or 10 years, possibly more than a human lifetime.
                        The implication leans that way, but it is vague enough that I can believe Todd has been captive for less than ten years. I'm wavering on deciding whether I prefer the idea that Todd had been captive much longer than 10 years, or if he meant that he suffered enough that it didn't matter if it was only a few years or more. That and he probably wasn't sure how long he was held.

Also, I'm wondering if the some of the Genii's technological advancements came from torturing Todd.

Regarding Ellia and Inquisition...
                        Spoiler:
                        Didn't know about the space gate. I think you're right. The writer's probably like the sound of the name.

Oh wait. I've come up with another fun theory! (It's like playing connect the coincidences!) Maybe Ellia's planet once had a stargate. And the other village that was on the same planet, Ratira, had close connections to Latira. And the Genii had connections to both these places. But this was a long time ago, when the Genii first made their coalition, and then were destroyed by the Wraith. And then the Wraith removed the stargate to impede the rebuilding of the Genii's coalition.

And maybe Todd was one of the leading commanders putting down the Genii. But he got captured.

And to even further speculate... Maybe the hive Ellia was from was looking for Todd, but it got attacked by a rival hive.

Laura Dove also wrote about Vegas and Enemy at the Gate:
                        Spoiler:
                        Regarding Todd's fate, I must be somewhat of a whumper because I love the "Vegas" pic. In fact, as long as he makes it out of it alive and well, I don't mind if he's captured and humiliated. I mean, I'm still angry at Sheppard because of the way he was treating Todd in "The Seer", but I'm very proud of Todd for gaining his freedom in "Be All My Sins Remember'd".
                        I'm a bit of a whumper too. The thing is, I don't want Sheppard and his team to be the one demeaning Todd, whether intentionally or innocently because they dont realizing that's what they're doing. They're suppose to be the good guys and be better than that. I *want* them to act like heroes. We know that the IOA are greedy jerks who don't give a whit about the natives of Pegasus. They're there to take advantage of PG and what they can mine out of it. They don't care about rights or respecting the natives. The Lanteans feel like they're like that too, though unintentionally. (I mostly blame the writers for that.) I want the Lanteans to protect Pegasus (and Todd) from the IOA and that colonializing attitude, and to keep that attitude from sinking into them.

The trouble is the writers have shown they're often unaware how bad they make the characters look or that their characters are being demeaned. (Ex: Larrin towards Sheppard in BAMSR ending. Or to go for the obvious, Irresistible) So I have little faith that the characters will recognize that they're treating someone badly, because the writers won't recognize it. Thus, one of my fears is that Todd will allowed himself to be studied, or that Sheppard will cave and let the IOA study him. Just... Agh! Keep Todd safe, Sheppard! He likes you and he keeps his word to you. That should count for something.

One of my wish for the show is that Atlantis will part ways from Earth. Then they team up with Todd and his faction to work out a coexistance. To prevent retaliatory actions by humans against Wraith, and Wraith from wiping out humans as a preventative measure.

About Enemy at the Gate...
                        Spoiler:
                        I really don't think he's a prisoner on the pic with the grey overalls. I get the impression that Todd is betraying his kind and joining forces with the Atlanteans; I think the reason why he doesn't wear his normal clothes is not because the humans wanted to humiliate him, but because he wants to blend in with them.
                        I hope not. That feels too much like him abasing himself for the humans. Look how long it took Teyla to wear an Atlantis uniform. And Ronon still doesn't wear one. And why should he try to blend in to make the humans feel better? Eh, I really hope the show doesn't go the assimilation route. It's Michael 2.0. Turning a Wraith and making him act in human ways. But with none of the rights, and *tolerating* of the alien as long as he's non-threatening and helpful.

Though they've been good at keeping Todd away from Humans Are Special Club. And off the top of my head, Ronon's character wasn't treated too much like that. And Teyla wasn't until Season 5. Chris H. seems to have some input to his character, much like Robert Picardo. So I have some hope.

I don't think he's likely to turn his back on his fellow Wraith. I would lean more towards him being outcasted and trying to survive. And that he'll help Sheppard, but he won't betray the Wraith by actively giving the Lanteans information. He isn't going to spill on what the Wraith can do and can't. He'll also still try to work his way back in to save his people.

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
                          700 PAGES

CONGRATUATIONS:
                          I don't know how you all keep up. WDC is the hiveship of threads!

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                            For everyone who wants to see the White Lion...

Spoiler:

Much like our dear Todd, except for the flower doily on his head...

das
                            Wow that is abit eerie, Did sometimes wonder if the writers where originally thinking about Samurais warrior when they started to plan for the Wraith.

MCH
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by MCH
                              700 PAGES

CONGRATULATIONS:

Originally posted by StarOcean View Post
                              I don't know how you all keep up. WDC is the hiveship of threads!
                              Love, curiosity, and a determination to defend and explore the Wraith society.

Through posts, fan fic and some beautiful artwork etc.

Think that sums it up for me. Anyone want to add to this?

MCH
                              sigpic

Comment

Enemy at the Gate:

Spoiler:
                                I don't see Todd as intentionally leaving his own kind and joining forces with the Lanteans. In The Queen, Teyla comments at the end of the episode that she got the feeling that Todd becoming leader of the alliance could have been Todd's plan from the start. If that is true, I don't think he'd willingly give up that sort of power. Todd is always looking out for himself. Possibly something has happened to change the leardership or something has happened to the alliance to make him be there. Will have to wait and find out.

Comment

Working...
                                X