Wraith Defenders Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wraith Cake View Post
    Now tell me, you don't find this face attractive?
    Spoiler:

WK
    Originally posted by Todd's Pet View Post
    Actually... I don;t... I always thought Penny!Todd was kinda creepy unlike Chris!Todd who is just plain HAWT!!!!
    And I always found him catlike. He definitely has his own charm
    ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
      Very good comments. Yes - they do seem to have a kill or be killed mentality.

Take, for instance, Todd's relationship with Kenny. Obviously Todd trusts Kenny to a point, and visa versa. However...think about how reserved Wraith are. They keep their emotions hidden around one another, and though they may speak harshly to each other, they don't seem to get physically aggressive unless they intend to kill. I don't Kenny would ever risk 'arguing' with Todd over a matter, no matter how much he disagreed with him. They may speak in harsh tones, but they would never have the furniture-throwing-scream-fest that some humans have with each other. If he had any real disagreement with Todd, he'd keep it inside, and speak to others who he may think sympathetic to his 'cause'.

I'm not explaining myself well because my mind is distracted (watching the news, thinking about other things, etc), but I did want to say that I think Michael did 'love' Teyla, only he didn't know how to say it. And, since Wraith do not know how to properly court a lady, he went about it the only way he knew how - he used threats and force. Even if he did kill her, I think it would only be because she would not support him in his plans - a sort of 'if I can't have you, nobody will' mentality, only adapted to the Wraith way of thinking. And maybe Michael himself didn't understand the feelings he had, especially if Wraith are unfamiliar with feelings of affection. To him, it may have just felt like an obsessive need - similar to their need to feed.

I'm sure whatever he felt, it was very confusing to him...like a spotty-faced teenager going through puberty.

das
      Michael as a wraith probably didn't have the experience of dealing with females, because from what we have seen there is only the Queen, that would make it 1 female to over 1000 males, so most probably would not have the opportunity to interact with a female and if they did(I'm not including worshipers here as I think that will be different more like master / slave) it would be more of a subordinate to royalty eg: Queen Elizabeth dealing with the Doctor who is working at a local hospital. there would be no chance for a relationship other than servant to develop. So if Michale found he had feelings for Teyla, which I think he did, he didn't know how to deal with them. And I don't think Teyla helped, befriending him and keeping him at armslength.

I think Todd is more "emotional" (showing his emotions) later once he got to know the Lanteans, seeing as they didn't condemn him for his emotions. But I think on the hive, to show "emotions" can be seen as weak, but look at how he treated Keller on the bridge of Daedalus, was more gentle than the way he treated Woolsey, allbeit he was angry with the events when he was talking to Woolsey, but Ronon had just sabotage the engines, Todd was also angry but he still treated them differently. anyway thats my take on it!
      I came, I saw, I conquered!
      sigpic
      We are unique! Created unique!
      Sevenofnine

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
        Hey das. Glad to see someone notices when I stop by. Lol, that sounds so arrogant. Oh and who says I am not a wraith fan. I can give you some help on JM's blog if you need it. Just let me know
        My appologies for not welcoming you earlier but welcome to WDC. Please feel free to join in.
        sigpic
        Sevenofnine

Comment

This is true, war makes monsters of us all--it tests our metal. Todd alludes to the wraith civil war as being the "strong turning on the weak". Steve is also of the conviction his hive will come rescue him--when nothing could be further from the truth. Most of the interactions the wraith have with one another is after the civil war has begun. Perhaps this is why Michael was so disillusioned with his own people when they betrayed him, he honestly didn't believe they would.

Interesting thoughts.

Now tell me, you don't find this face attractive?
          Spoiler:

or this one?
          Spoiler:

Where are ye at!!!!?

WK
          I really don't think penny/Todd is a good looking as chris/Todd, he just doesn't have the air about him. When I first saw that epp, I thought he did look a bit funny, but at first I thought it was the makeup, until I saw a scene where they were leading Todd along the corridor and he had platform shoes on - like a good 3" high!
          The 2nd pic - yeah he's alright!
          Chris/Todd is still the best.
          Spoiler:

sigpic
          Sevenofnine

Comment

Sounds like a plan, then, Seven... me an' Todd'll meet you an' Steve in Oz... synchronise watches...

Yep sure thing, synchronizing, hopefully the sun will shine! Better take the sunscreen for Todd & Steve don't want them to get sunburnt!
            sigpic
            Sevenofnine

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
              His offer of a handshake to Carter was funny and Todd certainly thought it was funny. He would do that to another Wraith? Wonder if there is a social taboo to shake hand with another Wraith with your feeding hand?
              MCH
              Or maybe it’s their analogy with our kissing lips to lips (which satisfies different kinds of hungers)?
              ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Originally posted by Sevenofnine View Post
                Yep sure thing, synchronizing, hopefully the sun will shine! Better take the sunscreen for Todd & Steve don't want them to get sunburnt!
                Em... make it an economy size bottle cos I;ll need to borrow their sunscreen - I'm red-haired with freckles and burn very, very easily!

Never mind, while you're sunbathing, me and Todd and Steve will snuggle down together in the shade...
                sigpic
                Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

This is true, war makes monsters of us all--it tests our metal. Todd alludes to the wraith civil war as being the "strong turning on the weak". Steve is also of the conviction his hive will come him--when nothing could be further from the truth. Most of the interactions the wraith have with one another is after the civil war has begun. Perhaps this is why Michael was so disillusioned with his own people when they betrayed him, he honestly didn't believe they would.

WK
                  I've always thought that Steve was playing a game with Sheppard when he talked about being rescued. If I was being held in a cell with no chance of escape or resuce I think I'd try to frighten my captors into believing there was a possibility they were going to be attacked.

I agree about Michael. I think he was shocked that other Wraith saw him as something alien and were not prepared to take him back into the fold. He was betrayed on all sides - little wonder really that he went to such extreme lengths to exact revenge!

Actually... I don;t... I always thought Penny!Todd was kinda creepy unlike Chris!Todd who is just plain HAWT!!!!
                  Got to agree with this - Penny/Todd is a bit of a pretty boy - Chris/Todd is pretty too but has more substance & character.

Comment

Just want to drop a line in the general Penny!Todd vs. Chris!Todd discussion:

Both are attractive but IMHO Chris is giving Todd that extra portion of gorgeous hawtness.

But Penny is extremely cute as Tommy (Midway).

Comment

You know - this is a good point. You just can't imagine him having a good belly laugh around Kenny. Kenny would give him that same perturbed look he gave Shep & Co. when they were stranded with him in The Queen.

I can just see it now...

Todd (laughing heartily): "Did you see the look on Rodney's face when I mentioned the delicious fruit farmers?!" *his laughter dies down into a self-satisfied chuckle*
                      Kenny (unamused): "I do not get it. I'm not in on the joke."
                      Poor Kenny.

das

Yes, Kenny owns that "we are not amused" look, the Queen of England will just have to come up with something else
                      But what would Kenny be like after a caffeine overdose to the tune of say... 40 coffees?
                      Maybe then Todd could get a laugh out of him?

On the delayed DVD release:
                      Nope. Joe has absolutely no control over that - I think it's all MGM.

Bugger...I'll just have to suffer in silence ....unless MGM has a complaints emailing address
                      sigpic
                      Cass Todd -

Comment

Now on to my next point.

What are "weak" emotions? Defining terms are an important thing because then we can see whether they are truly "unnecessary" emotions (which is what I assume you mean by "weak" emotions).

Do you mean that the wraith come across stoic (like a good Brit)? If so, the determination that this is a strength would be a cultural thing. Not all cultures think that stoicism is strong.

For instance, it is essential for social creatures to have empathy/sympathy otherwise this social creature's society will collapse.

It is also important to temper the law with mercy, otherwise justice is not served. And in a society where there is no justice, it too will collapse. Think: if everyone who killed someone was sentenced to life imprisonment or put to death regardless of the cause (self defense, protecting one's young, accident etcetera) justice would not be served.

Again, if we look at "love" rather as action more so than public displays of affections (PDAs), we can see it is also necessary for societies to function, otherwise, the young do not get taken care of, the sick are not healed and relatives are not protected. To love someone means what? To show care through providing food, shelter and protection; to show loyalty, dedication, and swear allegiance--the wraith do this with their young, and they do this with their "brothers". So there is definitely love in their society.

Perhaps it would be interesting to find out exactly which displays of emotion the wraith consider weak.

For instance, in most Scandinavian countries to give in to fits of rage is considered quite "weak"--this person has no control over his emotions. Whereas, in many Mediterranean countries to have public displays of rage means that person is dangerous and has "power" definitely considered a strength.

In Latin American countries to engage in PDA is quite normal--they think countries like Canada who shun this behaviour are quite "lilly-livered" (weak). Where as northern countries like Canada find that PDAs show a lack of self control and restraint.

Consequently, emotions are just an extension of our thoughts. If we think certain thoughts we will express those thoughts emotionally. How one expresses thoughts emotionally depends on the culture he was raised within.

WK
                        Speaking of weak/strong emotions, I think their only dimension is their intensity. After all each emotion changes the mind and the way of expressing oneself in life and how deeply the emotion changes it depends on how intense the emotion is.
                        But our emotions can be divided into two big group - negative and positive. We can regard them as polarized, as opposite of each other. Negative emotions express an attempt/intention to exclude, for example, strengthening your position at the expense of others, keeping «bad» things away or destroying those things that are perceived as a threat. They are caused by fear of the unknown, a need to control the actions of others or stop them to avoid being harmed. Positive emotions express an attempt to include, they are revolved around taking the whole into consideration, working on learning more, interacting and cooperating more with others, etc. They are caused by desire for enjoyment and unity. Negative emotions are apathy, grief, fear, hatred, shame, blame, regret, resentment, anger, hostility. Positive emotions are interest, enthusiasm, laughter, empathy, action, curiosity. There are lot of different emotions in each category and some of them are more positive or negative than others, some camouflage as positive or negative, but really are the opposite of what they pretend. But they are polarities. Even if we find some of them unwanted/harmful/weakening we can't just get rid of them and keep the others .
                        ~ Created by Draygon ~

Comment

Originally posted by Draco-Stellaris View Post
                          Just want to drop a line in the general Penny!Todd vs. Chris!Todd discussion:

Both are attractive but IMHO Chris is giving Todd that extra portion of gorgeous hawtness.

But Penny is extremely cute as Tommy (Midway).
                          Tommy is outrageously cute, I agree - but Tommy is a bit of a cutsie puppy, whereas Todd is most definitely not - and that's maybe the issue here...

Todd is not cute, never has been, never will be, never meant to be! Todd is tricksie, ancient, clever, maverick and hot, hot, hawt!!!
                          Therefore Penny was NOT the person to portray Todd IMHO... that's like trying to make a Rottweiler look "cute"!!! Just doesn't look right!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Tommy is outrageously cute, I agree - but Tommy is a bit of a cutsie puppy, whereas Todd is most definitely not - and that's maybe the issue here...

Todd is not cute, never has been, never will be, never meant to be! Todd is tricksie, ancient, clever, maverick and hot, hot, hawt!!!
                            very much

Comment

I'm in a fickle mood lately with sigs...and lately I've been hooked on Spike. *sigh*

Anyway - Tommy is adorable, and Penny made a very pretty Todd. Penny!Todd was a bit more 'creepy' - slippery - than Chris!Todd. Chris plays Todd much more 'personable' with the humans because he understands the evolution of their relationship better, whereas Penny played Todd more traditionally as other Wraith actors have, with the little 'I'm screwing you over and you don't even get it' smiles and such.

I liked them both. It was Penny!Todd that caught my eye in BAMSR - mostly because of the hair - and I was like, 'Hey! Is that the same dude that was in prison with Sheppard?!', as Common Ground was just about the only SGA ep I had ever seen, along with Sateda. I didn't realize that it was a different actor, I just recognized the hair, tattoo, and style. After BAMSR, I watched Common Ground again, and combined with comments on the net, realized Todd was two different actors.

Each actor has his own style and appeal, and each Wraith fan has their own preference when it comes to attractiveness. Penny makes a 'pretty' Wraith...a cute Wraith ...as so many are. Chris adds something much more, however...he makes a handsome Wraith. Mmmm...mmmm....MMM! It's like the difference between a pretty or beautiful man like Johnny Depp, and a young Harrison Ford, or Gary Cooper - an actor from Hollywood's golden years - who are ruggedly handsome men, just like Todd. In fact, Todd is almost unique in this regard among long-locked Wraith. The long hair tends to give most Wraith an air of a feminine beauty, but on Todd it just makes him wickedly HAWT!

That said...my main attraction to Todd is not his looks (though you all know that I find Chris quite appealing, whether he be plastered with green make-up, or shorn and bare-skinned as Druitt. It's those eyes...that naughty smile...his voice...*dies* ). ANYhoo...Todd is a very intriguing character. His relationship with humans is extraordinary, his toying with Sheppard quite amusing, and his journey has just been one of the best things to happen in this show. No...I take that back - it is THE best thing to happen in the show. Just gotta love him, if not for his sexiness, then for his character.

das
                              sigpic

Comment

I'm in a fickle mood lately with sigs...and lately I've been hooked on Spike. *sigh*

Anyway - Tommy is adorable, and Penny made a very pretty Todd. Penny!Todd was a bit more 'creepy' - slippery - than Chris!Todd. Chris plays Todd much more 'personable' with the humans because he understands the evolution of their relationship better, whereas Penny played Todd more traditionally as other Wraith actors have, with the little 'I'm screwing you over and you don't even get it' smiles and such.

I liked them both. It was Penny!Todd that caught my eye in BAMSR - mostly because of the hair - and I was like, 'Hey! Is that the same dude that was in prison with Sheppard?!', as Common Ground was just about the only SGA ep I had ever seen, along with Sateda. I didn't realize that it was a different actor, I just recognized the hair, tattoo, and style. After BAMSR, I watched Common Ground again, and combined with comments on the net, realized Todd was two different actors.

Each actor has his own style and appeal, and each Wraith fan has their own preference when it comes to attractiveness. Penny makes a 'pretty' Wraith...a cute Wraith ...as so many are. Chris adds something much more, however...he makes a handsome Wraith. Mmmm...mmmm....MMM! It's like the difference between a pretty or beautiful man like Johnny Depp, and a young Harrison Ford, or Gary Cooper - an actor from Hollywood's golden years - who are ruggedly handsome men, just like Todd. In fact, Todd is almost unique in this regard among long-locked Wraith. The long hair tends to give most Wraith an air of a feminine beauty, but on Todd it just makes him wickedly HAWT!

That said...my main attraction to Todd is not his looks (though you all know that I find Chris quite appealing, whether he be plastered with green make-up, or shorn and bare-skinned as Druitt. It's those eyes...that naughty smile...his voice...*dies* ). ANYhoo...Todd is a very intriguing character. His relationship with humans is extraordinary, his toying with Sheppard quite amusing, and his journey has just been one of the best things to happen in this show. No...I take that back - it is THE best thing to happen in the show. Just gotta love him, if not for his sexiness, then for his character.

das
                                Ya know, das, for someone who keeps claiming she's not a thunker, you do an awfully good job of thunking somedays!!!!!!!

Oh btw, re the Spike siggie - he ain't waiting for you to come at all - read my fic Saving Spike, written ages ago... I already rescued him and flew off into the sunset in a hive built for two long ago!!!! LOL!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X