Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tar and feather and shock your way through the Stargate.
    Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader
      Well, they could use the device that Jack built in "The Fifth Race", and were able to rebuild in that other quantum mirror episode .......

But then that will kill the hunt for zpm's, and make ths show boring .....

Although made in jest, I think that is a very significant point... there is no point in making it too easy for our characters... the journey is just as important as the destination.
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
        I know ZPM's can power cities, and perhaps would reduce that billion dollar electricity bill the SGC pay every year...
        Doesn't the SGC use naquadah generators now to power the facility? It would make sence. In fact, it might be reasonable to assume almost all top secret facilities would use them to reduce the all around cost to free up money for 303 construction and such.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler
          Well it is conceivable that the Aincients have bigger ZPM's that last a bit longer (a nifty light blue one perhaps), I know ZPM's can power cities, and perhaps would reduce that billion dollar electricity bill the SGC pay every year...

I'm sure the Aincients improved on the ZPM's, as they already upgraded on their Stargates, and logically should have left some lying around, but alas, not just yet.
          Spoilers for 'Before I Sleep'
          Spoiler:
          We know that 10000 years ago, the very moment the Ancient empire fell, they were using 3 ZPMs to power their most advanced city. It's unlikely that much research was done after they left their city.
          sigpic

Comment

i knew that

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              Spoiler:
              We know that 10000 years ago, the very moment the Ancient empire fell, they were using 3 ZPMs to power their most advanced city. It's unlikely that much research was done after they left their city.
              They could have research that technology before they left ... but they didn't wanna change their city setting ... maybe their new zpm, if they exist, was used somewhere else.
              - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
              - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
              - The Nox

Comment

The Asgard were able to send O'Neill from their galaxy back to the Milky Way using their gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                  The Asgard were able to send O'Neill from their galaxy back to the Milky Way using their gate.
                  They've been studying an Ancient Repository of Knowledge for over 1,000 years.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                    They have more power than we do.

Comment

yay for the little gray dudes

Originally posted by Mio
                      Spoiler:
                      indeed
                      http://bickenland.lonaf.com/phpBB2/index.php

This is a sig, have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                        They have more power than we do.
                        This has been a point of interest for me since the need for intergalactic Stargate transit has come to a head. I really don't think that the dire need of ZPM's stems from an amount of energy needed, but a specific type of energy required.

It's been repeatedly demonstrated that Stargates can absorb power from a number of sources in order to open an intragalactic wormhole, including car batteries, "fusion flowers," and lightning. Based on the fact that a simple car battery was sufficient to open a wormhole ("1969"), it's clear that a Stargate really doesn't take that much juice to operate within one's galaxy of origin, and probably doesn't make too much of a dent in the SGC's electricity bill.

The ZPM constructed in "The Fifth Race" boasted nothing more than the liquid naquadah from Teal's's staff weapon as its power source. Unless that was nothing more than a "trigger" to create a region of contained subspace by which draw some phenomenal amount of energy it's obvious that, for an intergalactic wormhole to be created, no incredible amount of energy is required.

I'm not saying that ZPM's don't create a heck of alot of energy, I'm just saying that, for the purposes of opening a wormhole between galaxies, what's required is a specific brand of energy that ZPM's create. If that's the case, then O'Neill didn't make a ZPM so much as he made an energy converter of sorts. Maybe he was worried about being able to plug in his razor in pegasus.
                        "So are we taking your car or mine, or am I just gonna follow you?"
                        Daniel Jackson - "Affinity"

Comment

Working...
                        X